Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Feel Waterford are overrated based on the league. What have they done in the championship - beaten a poor Cork and Dublin sides who were trounced by Galway. Also the U21's got fairly beaten by Clare who lost most of their talent that won them 3 in a row in that grade. That Waterford team had 7 senior players. KK win for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

blue note wrote: »
    This is almost exactly my reading of it all. Kilkenny and Tipp are better than Waterford, but not out of reach on the day. The Munster final was a good example - I thought both teams played well and neither got any real breaks on the day. No goals or sendings off or really bad decisions and Tipp were a couple of points better at the end. If Waterford had nicked a goal, or had a purple patch of shooting or if Tipp had shot a few wides or fallen asleep for a bit like they did against Limerick we could very well have won that game.

And for Kilkenny to beat Waterford I think they'll need to play very well. If there are actually a few players injured it is edging closer and closer to a 50/50 game. It's not the same Kilkenny team that won the 4 in a row with only one close game really.

I also agree on Galway. They're better this year at beating the poorer teams by bigger scores, but I think if Tipp play a similar way against them to how they played against us they'll win comfortably. I can't see their forwards coping with the limited space and I can't see their backs coping with the higher quality forwards than they've faced before. If Tipp play well I'd expect a 7 or 8 point win.

The one thing about Waterford which is probably a good thing really, is that I don't think the players get quite as much credit as they deserve for their individual quality. Practically all the media talk is about our system which takes pressure off our players. Obviously the players are being mentioned, but most of the column inches focus on "the system". I did see one exception to that reporting in the Indo today though from Nicky English. He basically makes the point that it's pretty much the same style as everyone (including Kilkenny :eek:) but just a bit more exaggerated.

Hmmm... interesting you should rate W'ford ahead of Galway, if you compare both their performances against the common reference point, Cork (Edit - Dublin also). Not saying you're wrong mind you, but I would argue that Galway have more strings to their bow in attack, and as Colm O'Rourke would claim, it's usually the team with the best attack that wins out in the end.

Wouldn't get too carried away with Tipp yet either - for all the praise they receive, they have a habit of flattering to deceive an awful lot too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Warper wrote: »
    Feel Waterford are overrated based on the league. What have they done in the championship - beaten a poor Cork and Dublin sides who were trounced by Galway. Also the U21's got fairly beaten by Clare who lost most of their talent that won them 3 in a row in that grade. That Waterford team had 7 senior players. KK win for me

Wouldn't read too much into the U-21 performance tbh.

In fairness to Waterford, they beat two poor enough teams and fell short against a good Tipp side.

They're the 3rd best team in the country based upon most measurements, you'd think. Kilkenny are favourites for a reason but Galway is the only thing close to a test they've had in their two games to date, and it's still hard to say how good/bad Galway are. Struggled against Dublin a bit the first day, then hockeyed Dublin, Laois and Cork which is impressive but didn't ever looking like beating KK. Waterford will be tougher to break down imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I'd like to respond but not going to do it on the Kilkenny page, Waterford only relevant in the fact that they're playing Kilkenny here, no whether they're better than Galway or not etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Is Upper tiers open on Sunday? What size of crowd is to be expected?

We'll see of Friday what team is announced - not point is guessing. It does no good. We probably know 12 of the team - 3 to be decided on.

On Sunday, we'll be strong regardless of who plays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Is Upper tiers open on Sunday? What size of crowd is to be expected?

There doesn't seem to be any upper tier tickets for sale so the lower tier and the Hill must not be near full.

35,000 maybe for Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

That seems like it'd be a pretty shocking crowd for an AI SF

Brian017 wrote: »
    That seems like it'd be a pretty shocking crowd for an AI SF

Yeah poor enough but maybe doesn't include them ' hurling heaven' packages. I'm not sure. Plus there's a few club who avail of the Group deal for underage teams. They get U16's in for 3 euro and for every 10 kids, one adult goes free. A few hurling clubs from the north avail of it to give their underage teams a chance to see a big game in Croke Park.

Regardless, 40, 000 would be poor. They'll probably not open the Upper tiers at this late stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Warper wrote: »
    KK's league was scintillating,and their Leinster Championship was out of this world and as for KK's U21's well enough said about that ,,meeeeeeeeeeeeeow

Yeah poor enough but maybe doesn't include them ' hurling heaven' packages. I'm not sure. Plus there's a few club who avail of the Group deal for underage teams. They get U16's in for 3 euro and for every 10 kids, one adult goes free. A few hurling clubs from the north avail of it to give their underage teams a chance to see a big game in Croke Park.

Those packages/group deals still count as 'bums on seats' though, i.e. count towards the attendance.

There were around 45,000 at the AI semi-final last year between KK and Limerick, and the Upper Cusack was open (I can't remember about the other upper tiers). Incidentally the Upper Cusack tickets went on sale on the Tuesday before that match. So based on that, I reckon the lower tiers and Hill are nowhere near being full for the match on Sunday.

Also, the lowest attendance for a semi-final in recent years was the KK-Waterford match in 2011 where less than 32,000 attended.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Part of the problem is they put terrible tickets on sale early in the week and people wont buy them (correctly IMO). They should put the best tickets they have available on sale early and then let people walking up on the day take whatever is left.

For example, as of now there are no tickets available for the Cusack stand and only section 335 for the hogan stand.

Are we to believe that the Cusack stand is sold out and we are down to the last section of the Hogan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

KK's league was scintillating,and their Leinster Championship was out of this world and as for KK's U21's well enough said about that ,,meeeeeeeeeeeeeow

You seem completely oblivious that your multiple posts about Kilkenny over the last few days referring to 'kittens' and 'meeeeeeeeeeeeeow' make you come across as a bit of a childish eejit

Those packages/group deals still count as 'bums on seats' though, i.e. count towards the attendance.

There were around 45,000 at the AI semi-final last year between KK and Limerick, and the Upper Cusack was open (I can't remember about the other upper tiers). Incidentally the Upper Cusack tickets went on sale on the Tuesday before that match. So based on that, I reckon the lower tiers and Hill are nowhere near being full for the match on Sunday.

Also, the lowest attendance for a semi-final in recent years was the KK-Waterford match in 2011 where less than 32,000 attended.

Yeah, i can't remember if top tier of Hogan was open, I was in bottom tier and got some drenching!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

adrian522 wrote: »
    Part of the problem is they put terrible tickets on sale early in the week and people wont buy them (correctly IMO). They should put the best tickets they have available on sale early and then let people walking up on the day take whatever is left.

For example, as of now there are no tickets available for the Cusack stand and only section 335 for the hogan stand.

Are we to believe that the Cusack stand is sold out and we are down to the last section of the Hogan?

Re tickets I'd advise anybody still looking to leave it as late as possible. There'll definitely be returns from the clubs and CB of both counties. It's not a sell out and there's only poor quality seating available online so there's nothing to be gained from panic buying. Even for the AI there's always returns available late in the week especially when we're in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Referee Brian Gavin has been hit with a one-month ban for comments he made to a match official after an Offaly club fixture.

Gavin, who will officiate Sunday’s All-Ireland semi-final between Kilkenny and Waterford, has been given the suspension due an incident at an Offaly junior club football championship match.
    The ban, which applies to all GAA activity for 30 days, will be appealed at a full hearing in front of the Hearings Committee at the request of Gavin.
    If the appeal against the suspension fails, Gavin would be unavailable for consideration for the All-Ireland final.
    However he will referee the All-Ireland semi-final because of the pending appeal.

You seem completely oblivious that your multiple posts about Kilkenny over the last few days referring to 'kittens' and 'meeeeeeeeeeeeeow' make you come across as a bit of a childish eejit
    its havin a crack

its havin a crack

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

its havin a crack

It wont be much crack licking your wounds on Sunday evening after taking another bating of us

Lads what is the story with Michael Rice??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Lads what is the story with Michael Rice??

First name is Michael, surname is Rice. Plays for the Shocks. Has it bad with injuries. Has won a lot with Kilkenny.

Pretty much the story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Folks, I've one 304 ticket for sale for Sunday's match. I can email the ticket to the interested party, it's in PDF format. Or if the person is based in KK city, I'm sure we can work something out.

Face value, €40 please. Preferably by paypal.

PM me if you're interested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Ginzo

Any truth in these TJ and Richie injury rumours?

It wont be much crack licking your wounds on Sunday evening after taking another bating of us
    probably not ,but for us if we beat any of the top teams ,KK,Tipp,Cork or any opposition we are havin a good day ,unlike ye where more often ye win ,we enjoy our games more ,we like to have the crack ,we experience big day disappointments more that most ,but we live in hope ,hopefully it wil be a fantastic day on sunday and we will win ,if we are beat well ,we had a better year than last year ,,enjoy the craic all be it we would be dissapointed ,its a game and its about having the craic ,but MOST KK fans dont have that cause they are so terrified of losing a game its unreal ,,UP THE DEISE ,,HERE IS TO THE BEST WIN EVER ON SUNDAY ,Waterford 2.23 KK1.12,,,MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

probably not ,but for us if we beat any of the top teams ,KK,Tipp,Cork or any opposition we are havin a good day ,unlike ye where more often ye win ,we enjoy our games more ,we like to have the crack ,we experience big day disappointments more that most ,but we live in hope ,hopefully it wil be a fantastic day on sunday and we will win ,if we are beat well ,we had a better year than last year ,,enjoy the craic all be it we would be dissapointed ,its a game and its about having the craic ,but MOST KK fans dont have that cause they are so terrified of losing a game its unreal ,,UP THE DEISE ,,HERE IS TO THE BEST WIN EVER ON SUNDAY ,Waterford 2.23 KK1.12,,,MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOW

You're great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Ginzo wrote: »
    Any truth in these TJ and Richie injury rumours?

TJ definitely not he was running around and stayed late taking frees on Wednesday night. From what I've heard Richie Hogan will be ok has had a little issue but he will play the full game no problems.

randd1 wrote: »
    First name is Michael, surname is Rice. Plays for the Shocks. Has it bad with injuries. Has won a lot with Kilkenny.

Pretty much the story.

As if I didnt know that. I only asked will he be playing or not? Should he still be training on his own considering hes been back a while now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

As if I didnt know that. I only asked will he be playing or not? Should he still be training on his own considering hes been back a while now

Relax, it was just a joke.

No, he won't be playing, he still has problems with the knees, ongoing tendinitis. The lads in the club are worried he won't be fully right for the club games next week, so I'd doubt he'll be playing on Sunday.

And he's effectively trying to do two years catch up in the county training to make the side for Sunday. He'd be some man if he managed it, but alas he won't. I'd doubt we'd see him this year to be honest.

Unfortunately Richie Power is in the same boat, but that there might be a chance for him for the final.

That's the word within the club about the two lads anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Gavin's appeal to be hear tonight, at the request of the GAA. They are obviously prepared to replace him anyway. Still won't be Barry Kelly, just in case ye were getting worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 kruger73

Mod: Not allowed

• Advertisement

How do ye enjoy yere games more?

Any true KK supporter, not the sunshine supporters that only go to the All Ireland enjoy the games no less than any one else from any other county. This myth that we dont enjoy them as much just because were successfil is a load of crap. I for one am really excited as I am for every game like any real supporter should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

How do ye enjoy yere games more?

Any true KK supporter, not the sunshine supporters that only go to the All Ireland enjoy the games no less than any one else from any other county. This myth that we dont enjoy them as much just because were successfil is a load of crap. I for one am really excited as I am for every game like any real supporter should be.

Ah there's some truth to it. What's seldom is wonderful. I'd have no problem admitting that our munster win in 02 was more enjoyable than any of the others. 04 was pretty good too though. There's no way Kilkennys recent provincial wins were anything like as enjoyable as those. And someone like leitrim winning a provincial I guarantee you was more enjoyable for them than a team like kerry winning an all ireland. Lads waited their whole lives for that day. You can't say the same about the kerry lads for an all ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

Richie Hogan an injury worry for Cats' clash with Waterford
    Friday, August 07, 2015 - 10:20 AM
    By John Fogarty

Richie Hogan is the latest injury scare for Kilkenny ahead of Sunday's All-Ireland semi-final.

The 2014 hurler of the year is understood to have injured his back and is considered more of a worry than a doubt ahead of facing Waterford.

Full-back Joey Holden is also reported to have hurt his back but is expected to be fit, as is TJ Reid who is believed to have picked up a toe injury.

Kilkenny are already without Jackie Tyrrell for the game following a recent operation after suffering a stress fracture of the foot.

Michael Fennelly is ranked a doubt while Richie Power has not yet returned to full training and is not considered for selection.

Kilkenny will name their team tonight.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/richie-hogan-an-injury-worry-for-cats-clash-with-waterford-690008.html

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thinlizzy51

blue note.everytime I get to see this great team of ours play is a privielge.time after time they turn up and give their all.they have never never let the kilkenny supporters down.as the years have gone by I would say the supporters have appreciated them more and more.qualifier at home to tipp demonstrated how gratefull we are to them for all the great times they have brought and continue to bring.for me watching richie hogan is like watching messi .believe you me I get excited everytime I have the privilege to watch this team.sunday will be no different.

blue note.everytime I get to see this great team of ours play is a privielge.time after time they turn up and give their all.they have never never let the kilkenny supporters down.as the years have gone by I would say the supporters have appreciated them more and more.qualifier at home to tipp demonstrated how gratefull we are to them for all the great times they have brought and continue to bring.for me watching richie hogan is like watching messi .believe you me I get excited everytime I have the privilege to watch this team.sunday will be no different.

I'm hardly criticising anyone, but if you think winning your 14th provincial in 15 years or whatever it is, usually in a one sided unexciting game is as much fun as winning your first provincial in 39 years you're delusional.

The qualifier against tipp is a good point actually. Knock out hurling in June, home championship match. The novelty of it made it twice as good. What's seldom is wonderful.

We all get excited watching Ritchie Hogan ,some hurler

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The 2014 hurler of the year is understood to have injured his back and is considered more of a worry than a doubt ahead of facing Waterford.

What does this mean? Is a worry better or worse than a doubt?

Depends on whether you're from waterford or Kilkenny!!!

But better is the actual answer.

robwen wrote: »

Joey is an injury concern as well!
    FFS is there anyone who will be 100% for Sunday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

It means that they heard he hurt his back last weekend but they don't have any idea about how he is so they are just writing up vague articles.

Stephen o Keeffe broken finger,Noel O Connors dead leg,de burca hamstring,Gleeson two broken legs ,Kevin Moran broken toe ,Brick indestructible ,MShanahan two broken arms ,J,Barron no elbows ,,could it get any worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thinlizzy51

blue note.winning is the result at the end of the game.watching and enjoying how our team go abour it makes me proud.had we lost to tipp last year after 2 brilliant games I would have still been very proud of our team and the excitement they gave.agree if you haven't won something for so long its a great thing.but for us in Kilkenny who have been lucky enough to have won so much we stiill do get excited.look at teams like cork or Galway. supporting them must be hard work.brilliant or brutal.with us wr always turn up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

blue note.winning is the result at the end of the game.watching and enjoying how our team go abour it makes me proud.had we lost to tipp last year after 2 brilliant games I would have still been very proud of our team and the excitement they gave.agree if you haven't won something for so long its a great thing.but for us in Kilkenny who have been lucky enough to have won so much we stiill do get excited.look at teams like cork or Galway. supporting them must be hard work.brilliant or brutal.with us wr always turn up
    Leinster Final 2012? Although that's the only recent example I can think of where ye were blown out of the water completely.

And ye got revenge eventually too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭Kilkennyfella

robwen wrote: »
    Richie Hogan an injury worry for Cats' clash with Waterford
    Friday, August 07, 2015 - 10:20 AM
    By John Fogarty

Richie Hogan is the latest injury scare for Kilkenny ahead of Sunday's All-Ireland semi-final.

Full-back Joey Holden is also reported to have hurt his back but is expected to be fit, as is TJ Reid who is believed to have picked up a toe injury.

Kilkenny are already without Jackie Tyrrell for the game following a recent operation after suffering a stress fracture of the foot.

Michael Fennelly is ranked a doubt while Richie Power has not yet returned to full training and is not considered for selection.

Kilkenny will name their team tonight.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/richie-hogan-an-injury-worry-for-cats-clash-with-waterford-690008.html

No point in showing up lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭zetecescort

Paper talk can be very vague but is there any reason why ye seem to have a few lads picking up back problems? Hauling around bags of medals? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭student2010

Team prediction for Sunday:

E. Murphy
    P. Murphy J. Holden C. Fogarty
    P. Walsh K. Joyce C. Buckley
    R. Hogan W. Walsh
    J. Power T.J. Reid E. Larkin
    C. Fennelly M. Kelly G. Aylward

Team prediction for Sunday:

E. Murphy
    P. Murphy J. Holden C. Fogarty
    P. Walsh K. Joyce C. Buckley
    R. Hogan W. Walsh
    J. Power T.J. Reid E. Larkin
    C. Fennelly M. Kelly G. Aylward

Fogarty back out at midfield for starters as he is not a Corner Back and Mark Kelly shouldnt be near the team not up to it at this level in my opinion. Id rather see his namesake Kevin Kelly starting who would be a much more dangerous option

Fogarty back out at midfield for starters as he is not a Corner Back and Mark Kelly shouldnt be near the team not up to it at this level in my opinion. Id rather see his namesake Kevin Kelly starting who would be a much more dangerous option
    it's great that the one and only B,Cody has a better opinion on certain players than you

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Miall108

it's great that the one and only B,Cody has a better opinion on certain players than you

I agree with pmys assessment on that team above. That being said that team would still beat ye as ye unravel with fear at the sight of the Black and Amber jersey

How does he have a better opinion? I was responding to the other posters team selection. Conor Fogarty is no longer a Corner Back because he was roasted in there in the past, Mark Kelly is no longer in the First 15. Im sure Cody knows how good Kevin Kelly is but hes learning his apprenticeship like everyone else. Doesnt mean we cant call for his inclusion in the team if we have a few injuries.

Besides shouldnt you be planning your route to Croker to avoid getting lost on Sunday instead of insulting me

Miall108 wrote: »
    I agree with pmys assessment on that team above. That being said that team would still beat ye as ye unravel with fear at the sight of the Black and Amber jersey
    no not true ,,35 all Ireland wins ,beaten in 25 ,that is a record that proves KK are the best always have always will ,ye wont always have the unprecedented success that ye have now ,probably wont be as bad as ours 2 all irelands in 131 years .but to say that we unravel through fear is bullsh%t we as most teams are,were just not good enough to beat ye on the day, Fact! now roll on sunday ,WTF is pmys?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement