Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Miall108

no not true ,,35 all Ireland wins ,beaten in 25 ,that is a record that proves KK are the best always have always will ,ye wont always have the unprecedented success that ye have now ,probably wont be as bad as ours 2 all irelands in 131 years .but to say that we unravel through fear is bullsh%t we as most teams are,were just not good enough to beat ye on the day, Fact! now roll on sunday ,WTF is pmys?

Do I have to remind you about 08? For team who had won the league and Munster only the year before, are you really trying to tell me that there was that much distance in quality between the sides that was suggested in the scoreline? Ye beat Tipp in a Semi Final, a team who has arguably been the best in the country ever since along with us. 07 ye lost to Limerick in an All Ireland Semi when ye were raging hot favourites to win

Ye also folded in 13 when we were there for the taking but ye still couldnt get over the line in Extra Time. We also bet ye out of the gate and down the M50 in the league last year too. Im afraid that trends over the years show that Waterford do have this mental fragility on the biggest stage and more so when it comes to playing Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Gavin's appeal to be hear tonight, at the request of the GAA. They are obviously prepared to replace him anyway. Still won't be Barry Kelly, just in case ye were getting worried.

Don't care who does it as long as it's not Lyons. That lad hasn't a clue.

adrian522 wrote: »
    What does this mean? Is a worry better or worse than a doubt?

Yes. Worry - probably ok to play. Doubt - probably not ok to play. 😠As a certain politician liked to say, semantics.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    How does he have a better opinion? I was responding to the other posters team selection. Conor Fogarty is no longer a Corner Back because he was roasted in there in the past, Mark Kelly is no longer in the First 15. Im sure Cody knows how good Kevin Kelly is but hes learning his apprenticeship like everyone else. Doesnt mean we cant call for his inclusion in the team if we have a few injuries.

Besides shouldnt you be planning your route to Croker to avoid getting lost on Sunday instead of insulting me
    train at 10.15 ,what i do then, not sure ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

citykat wrote: »
    Don't care who does it as long as it's not Lyons. That lad hasn't a clue.

Fully agree with you on that one. Actually, I'll admit I was very frustrated with Barry Kelly after the Munster Semi final. Didn't care too much when the final whistle went but thought he had a shocker.

Gavin is alright but I think he suits ye. That said I don't think a referee will decide the outcome of this game. Looking forward to it now I think it'll be a good one.

Fully agree with you on that one. Actually, I'll admit I was very frustrated with Barry Kelly after the Munster Semi final. Didn't care too much when the final whistle went but thought he had a shocker.

Gavin is alright but I think he suits ye. That said I don't think a referee will decide the outcome of this game. Looking forward to it now I think it'll be a good one.

Tbf to him he was trying to let the game flow which I believe it did that game. There may have been a couple of questionable decisions but I don't think he favoured one side over the other.

Given our injuries, the ref is the least of our concerns at the moment. As you say, whoever it is, won't have any major bearing on the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭clashoftheash

Was down at the training, good news is that nearly everyone trained, Richie hogan, tj Reid and mick fen all looked fine but the cut and thrust of battle might tell a different story, bad news is that Larkin went off close to the end feeling his hamstring... Might be nothing....looks like we'll need all our nit, grit and the power of divine Jesus to get through this one lads 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pat 22

Everyone available except R power, all others picked to start Sunday !!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 catseye2

prendergast in for Jackie. All others selected as expected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Miall108

1.Eoin Murphy
    Glenmore

2.Paul Murphy
    Danesfort

3.Joey Holden - Captain
    Ballyhale Shamrocks

4.Shane Prendergast
    Clara

5.Padraig Walsh
    Tullaroan

6.Kieran Joyce
    Rower Inistioge

7.Cillian Buckley
    Dicksboro

8.Michael Fennelly
    Ballyhale Shamrocks

9.Conor Fogarty
    Erins Own

10.Walter Walsh
    Tullogher Rosbercon

11.Richie Hogan
    Danesfort

12.T J Reid
    Ballyhale Shamrocks

13.Ger Aylward
    Glenmore

14.Colin Fennelly
    Ballyhale Shamrocks

15.Eoin Larkin
    James Stephens

Kevin Kelly dropped from Matchday Squad with Diarmuid Cody and Conor Martin in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

train at 10.15 ,what i do then, not sure ,

Be absolutely sure of the return train time. Would hate to see you lose and miss the train.

S O'Mahony (O Loughlins) in for N Walsh The only change on the minor team. Strange as I thought Walsh played very well the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

How does he have a better opinion? I was responding to the other posters team selection. Conor Fogarty is no longer a Corner Back because he was roasted in there in the past, Mark Kelly is no longer in the First 15. Im sure Cody knows how good Kevin Kelly is but hes learning his apprenticeship like everyone else. Doesnt mean we cant call for his inclusion in the team if we have a few injuries.

Besides shouldnt you be planning your route to Croker to avoid getting lost on Sunday instead of insulting me
    K Kelly not in match day squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

K Kelly not in match day squad

Well he should be and most people will agree with me on that. Perhaps hes injured

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭blackwave

Well he should be and most people will agree with me on that. Perhaps hes injured

Yeah only thing that I was surprised about. Delighted to see Michael Fennelly back in the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Probably one of the weakest benches I've seen for a long long time.im shocked chris bolger,brian kennedy and kevin kelly didn't make the bench and conor martin has?he was terrible in the 3 u21 matches played but who are we to question any decisions but i hope no backs get injured or have a bad day

brookville wrote: »
    Probably one of the weakest benches I've seen for a long long time.im shocked chris bolger,brian kennedy and kevin kelly didn't make the bench and conor martin has?he was terrible in the 3 u21 matches played but who are we to question any decisions but i hope no backs get injured or have a bad day

I agree

I thought Martin was the best of a poor forward line vs Wexford. Think K Kelly has a long way back now. Kennedy has fallen a long way from starter last year.

citykat wrote: »
    I thought Martin was the best of a poor forward line vs Wexford. Think K Kelly has a long way back now. Kennedy has fallen a long way from starter last year.

I dunno how that has happened considering how impressive he was during the league whilst Kennedy was poor in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

The other one added to the bench is even more bizarre.

• Advertisement

I dunno how that has happened considering how impressive he was during the league whilst Kennedy was poor in fairness

Looks like Cody just doesn't like the cut of his jib. He hasn't gotten much game time under him. Kennedy is different. He was a regular up to the drawn GY match last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thinlizzy51

won't be surprised if richie power is added to the squad on sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 36 castlecat

How in God's name is conor Martin on that panel ahead of Kevin Kelly .surely Brian kennedy has more to offer than Robert lennon experience and hurling wise, and the managers son named on the subs as well , I'm surprised mick dempsey didn't get someone from stradbally on to the panel !!! Very strong first 15 ,hopefully we won't have to call on the subs bench to get us over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 castlecat

How in God's name is conor Martin on that panel ahead of Kevin Kelly .surely Brian kennedy has more to offer than Robert lennon experience and hurling wise, and the managers son named on the subs as well , I'm surprised mick dempsey didn't get someone from stradbally on to the panel !!! Very strong first 15 ,hopefully we won't have to call on the subs bench to get us over the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

As a mate pointed out to me, they're short in the backs at the moment, they need backs on the bench more urgently, nothing more to it than that. I'm sure hurler on 'de' ditch knows that, he seems a pretty knowledgeable lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

The key question is will this named team start? As already stated here, I though Kevin Kelly would have been first or second sub on never mind not being named on full panel. Anyone know is he injured?

castlecat wrote: »

Brian Cody does not do favors. It is a bit much to criticize him for picking Lennon and Cody junior when it is his opinion that they offer more for next Sunday. Cody Juniors selection has nothing got to do with who he is. He was one of the few under 21s to stand up to Wexford. Obviously Kevin Kelly lacks something Cody seeks in a player and whatever that is, he has to develop it ,spend his apprentice learning it, that is if he has the will to do so. If he does not then he was never good enough to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

What's the subs bench?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

castlecat wrote: »

After Walter Walsh's debut in an All Ireland final, among other starts, i think it would be okay to cut management some slack who they decide to put on the bench. I know Kennedy had a decent league last year but I haven't seen anything since that would make a compelling case for him. I haven't seen much of Kevin Kelly in the senior county jersey, just his match against Clare in the league - I thought he was decent enough that day although his work rate wasn't the general KK standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

I wouldn't be getting too carried away about who is on the bench, but I'd seriously have to argue with the point of view that Diarmuid Cody is there on merit.

He's been useless for James Stephens this year (Cillian Buckley gave him a hurling lesson in the park the last day). Played 'ok' against Wexford in the U-21 but only a few weeks earlier he was so bad against Dublin that he was hauled off. Think if anyone else was the manager he'd be nowhere near the panel.

Anyway, I think Kilkenny will win comfortably. Tipp & Kilkenny are on a different level to the opposition this year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What's the subs bench?

Not exactly star studded

Richie Reid Ballyhale Shamrocks
    Michael Walsh Young Irelands
    Robert Lennon Bennettsbridge
    Diarmuid Cody James Stephens
    Lester Ryan Clara
    Joe Lyng Rower Inistioge
    John Power Carrickshock
    Jonjo Farrell Thomastown
    Matthew Ruth James Stephens
    Mark Kelly O’Loughlin Gaels
    Conor Martin Emeralds
    Richie Reid Ballyhale Shamrocks
    Michael Walsh Young Irelands
    Robert Lennon Bennettsbridge
    Diarmuid Cody James Stephens
    Lester Ryan Clara
    Joe Lyng Rower Inistioge
    John Power Carrickshock
    Jonjo Farrell Thomastown
    Matthew Ruth James Stephens
    Mark Kelly O’Loughlin Gaels
    Conor Martin Emeralds
    I wouldn't be getting too carried away about who is on the bench, but I'd seriously have to argue with the point of view that Diarmuid Cody is there on merit.

He's been useless for James Stephens this year (Cillian Buckley gave him a hurling lesson in the park the last day). Played 'ok' against Wexford in the U-21 but only a few weeks earlier he was so bad against Dublin that he was hauled off. Think if anyone else was the manager he'd be nowhere near the panel.

Anyway, I think Kilkenny will win comfortably. Tipp & Kilkenny are on a different level to the opposition this year.

That's quite the accusation to be throwing around, can't imagine Cody not picking his squad on merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

adrian522 wrote:
    Richie Reid Ballyhale Shamrocks Michael Walsh Young Irelands Robert Lennon Bennettsbridge Diarmuid Cody James Stephens Lester Ryan Clara Joe Lyng Rower Inistioge John Power Carrickshock Jonjo Farrell Thomastown Matthew Ruth James Stephens Mark Kelly O’Loughlin Gaels Conor Martin Emeralds

Im in two minds about Cody jnr. On one hand I wouldnt put him in the top 20 backs in the county(hes not a intercounty midfielder anyway) and then on the other he was one of the only men to put in a performance in the u21s.Ive never seen him stand out for village either. I suppose we dont know whos doing what in training, which seems to apply to k kelly aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

I agree with Toblerone. Kennedy is just not coming through but maybe he needs some more chances. I doubt he'll make it - too loose.

That is a good bench given that players like Jackie and Richie are absent. Doubt that Cody Junior will get a game but there are plenty of a good standard on the bench - both Kelly and Farrell are top class ballwinner, for examples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Charlie69

The key question is will this named team start? As already stated here, I though Kevin Kelly would have been first or second sub on never mind not being named on full panel. Anyone know is he injured?
    Kevin Kelly definitely not injured, very strange decision. Had been going very well in training too. Very limited forward options on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Brian Cody does not do favors. It is a bit much to criticize him for picking Lennon and Cody junior when it is his opinion that they offer more for next Sunday. Cody Juniors selection has nothing got to do with who he is. He was one of the few under 21s to stand up to Wexford. Obviously Kevin Kelly lacks something Cody seeks in a player and whatever that is, he has to develop it ,spend his apprentice learning it, that is if he has the will to do so. If he does not then he was never good enough to begin with.
    Let's be honest here, it looks like Conor Martin is in because we have a selector from Urlingford, Lennon because of a selector from the Bridge.

Don't get me wrong these lads are good hurlers who will have their day but can anyone honestly say that young Cody or Lennon (both untried) are better options than Brian Kennedy right now?

Does anyone really think Conor Martin is a better forward than Kevin Kelly? Again not knocking the players selected I just think Both Kelly and Kennedy were hard done by.

The bench could be very important in this game, especially if we are starting players that are not 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CATwalk

Folks, I've one 304 ticket for sale for Sunday's match. I can email the ticket to the interested party, it's in PDF format. Or if the person is based in KK city, I'm sure we can work something out.

Face value, €40 please. Preferably by paypal.

PM me if you're interested.

Have you still got ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

CATwalk wrote: »
    Have you still got ticket.

Tried it too but I'm afraid the ticket is gone. Heading up to Dublin early tmrw hoping to pick up a couple of tickets

phkk wrote: »
    Tried it too but I'm afraid the ticket is gone. Heading up to Dublin early tmrw hoping to pick up a couple of tickets

I think you'll get decent tickets tomorrow with club returns and stuff. This thing if only releasing **** for general sale I think is harming attendances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

I think you'll get decent tickets tomorrow with club returns and stuff. This thing if only releasing **** for general sale I think is harming attendances.

Yeah, definitely, I'm holding on all week to see can I get decent tickets and not be stuck in the corners, craning my neck trying to see the play down the far end. How come the Upper Cusack isn't open yet for sale? It was open last year and Waterford will bring as big if not bigger crowd on Sunday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭The Dickler

Was down at the training, good news is that nearly everyone trained, Richie hogan, tj Reid and mick fen all looked fine but the cut and thrust of battle might tell a different story, bad news is that Larkin went off close to the end feeling his hamstring... Might be nothing....looks like we'll need all our nit, grit and the power of divine Jesus to get through this one lads 😂

What????
    You mean all Kilkenny training sessions are not played in "the cut and thrust of battle"?

No whistle,blood and body parts strewn across the field. Surely this was the Cody way.
    Has something changed boys?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

What????
    You mean all Kilkenny training sessions are not played in "the cut and thrust of battle"?

No whistle,blood and body parts strewn across the field. Surely this was the Cody way.

Not the sessions 2 days before a match. Sessions last week would have been tasty

What????

Waterford's jocks will need changing tomorrow evening, after they **** themselves at the site of croke park again.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

cody and martin must be on a different apprenticeship course then everybody else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Waterford's jocks will need changing tomorrow evening, after they **** themselves at the site of croke park again.

I think they go commando whilst playing???

How would or do KK folk feel on the rear occasions they are beaten??

Road-Hog wrote: »
    I think they go commando whilst playing???

How would or do KK folk feel on the rear occasions they are beaten??

It depends very much on who beats us!!

I can take losing to anyone other than Tipp, to be honest. Wouldn't begrudge Waterford although some of their fans, usually not really hurling people, are absolutely insufferable. But they've had some great teams that under achieved and have suffered a lot as fans so it would be hard to begrudge. But tipp? You can't beat them enough. Never by enough, never often enough.

• Advertisement

blackcard wrote: »
    Not the sessions 2 days before a match. Sessions last week would have been tasty

Were they though?
    I'm being completely honest here. After a week at work where the banter with our Kilkenny neighbors was mild to say the least, you have to wonder is there a distinct drop in their confidence levels.
    Kilkenny injuries have never been given such prominence.
    Their bench has never looked so bare.
    Their has never been so many questions about certain defensive positions ( which nobody is willing to answer with any level of certainty).

We've being stung many times before but while walking along the quay this morning I got whiff of smell wafting across from the far side. The smell of fear!!

Bring it on Boys

Were they though?
    I'm being completely honest here. After a week at work where the banter with our Kilkenny neighbors was mild to say the least, you have to wonder is there a distinct drop in their confidence levels.
    Kilkenny injuries have never been given such prominence.
    Their bench has never looked so bare.
    Their has never been so many questions about certain defensive positions ( which nobody is willing to answer with any level of certainty).

We've being stung many times before but while walking along the quay this morning I got whiff of smell wafting across from the far side. The smell of fear!!

Bring it on Boys

Well we're definitely not as strong as we were. The defensive issues, I dunno who hasn't answered clearly, obviously it's a question of whether Holden can take ownership of full back (personally I think if he's good enough to contain Joe canning and ciaran McDonald, he can contain anybody, but Shanahan us a different type of forward), and whether Prendergast is up to it. No secrets there.

You'd always be wary going into a semi final, unless you're completely cracked. Fear? That might be pushing it, sure it's no different than any other match, anyone can win any game on any day.

Well we're definitely not as strong as we were. The defensive issues, I dunno who hasn't answered clearly, obviously it's a question of whether Holden can take ownership of full back (personally I think if he's good enough to contain Joe canning and ciaran McDonald, he can contain anybody, but Shanahan us a different type of forward), and whether Prendergast is up to it. No secrets there.

You'd always be wary going into a semi final, unless you're completely cracked. Fear? That might be pushing it, sure it's no different than any other match, anyone can win any game on any day.

Haha Fair enough. Fear might be pushing it a tad but there's definitely a few nervous twitches.
    Best of luck.

Haha Fair enough. Fear might be pushing it a tad but there's definitely a few nervous twitches.
    Best of luck.

The stick I'll get over my post on the Waterford thread if you beat us is enough to give anyone a dose of nerves! Anyway, tis a semi final, against a team that have made themselves very difficult to beat, if you're not nervous you're not paying attention imo.

As the lad says, may the best horse jump the fence.

Charlie69 wrote: »
    Let's be honest here, it looks like Conor Martin is in because we have a selector from Urlingford, Lennon because of a selector from the Bridge.

Don't get me wrong these lads are good hurlers who will have their day but can anyone honestly say that young Cody or Lennon (both untried) are better options than Brian Kennedy right now?

Does anyone really think Conor Martin is a better forward than Kevin Kelly? Again not knocking the players selected I just think Both Kelly and Kennedy were hard done by.

The bench could be very important in this game, especially if we are starting players that are not 100%.

To say that Martin & Lennon are on the bench due to who they play with is patent nonsense. Thankfully those days are long gone. Your gripe about Kennedy tells me you're a Freshford man. At least he got a good run last year but eventually got found out. Can't say the same for Kelly.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement