Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Charlie69

citykat wrote: »
    To say that Martin & Lennon are on the bench due to who they play with is patent nonsense. Thankfully those days are long gone. Your gripe about Kennedy tells me you're a Freshford man. At least he got a good run last year but eventually got found out. Can't say the same for Kelly.
    Just my opinion citykat that's all, do you really think Lennon or Cody are better options than Kennedy? Conor Martin a better forward than Kevin Kelly?. As I said I'm not knocking these lads and believe their time will come, just thought both Kennedy and Kelly were better options for this fixture and had a better chance of getting game time.

I'm not from Freshford or Ballyragget btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Charlie69 wrote: »
    Just my opinion citykat that's all, do you really think Lennon or Cody are better options than Kennedy? Conor Martin a better forward than Kevin Kelly?. As I said I'm not knocking these lads and believe their time will come, just thought both Kennedy and Kelly were better options for this fixture and had a better chance of getting game time.

I'm not from Freshford or Ballyragget btw.

Fair enough. I'm surprised at Kelly myself. Kennedy is a more stylish/skilful hurler but isn't as physical as Cody or Lennon. Think that's why he lost out.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thinlizzy51

agree about Kelly@ Kennedy losing out on what we've seen.so martin@ cody must have gonr well in training. bolger for me would have been the pick of the u21s.feel mark Kelly needs one big game to break through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

It's funny how people are saying Kk aren't as good as they used to be a few years ago when a few years ago Kk wouldn't have been such red hot favorite's as they are for this match.

I can't see them being beat tomorrow. It would be one of the biggest shocks in the hurling championship if Waterford win tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

deadybai wrote: »
    It's funny how people are saying Kk aren't as good as they used to be a few years ago when a few years ago Kk wouldn't have been such red hot favorite's as they are for this match.

I can't see them being beat tomorrow. It would be one of the biggest shocks in the hurling championship if Waterford win tomorrow

Probably the biggest shock but there hasn't really been any shocks this year so that's all the one.

We were 5/1 to beat Kilkenny 2 years ago despite the fact they lost to Dublin. We were probably even longer in 2009 and 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭randd1

Lads giving out about this lad being on the match day panel, and who's not on it, and whether lads are there because of where they're from.

No offense, but no-one has a clue really as to how well or not so and so is going in training.

And I think Cody and the management team have earned the right to have who they want on the bench.

As for the strength of the bench, it may not have the artillery of years before, but can anyone honestly say we're worse off in options than any other counties? There's lads on our bench who have been part of AI winning panels, and who are facing the best starting 15 under the best management in the country in training for a good while now. Does any other county have that? It's not like we have anything to fear anyone from else's bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackcard

TJ Reid and Richie Hogan had to serve their apprenticeship before becoming regulars, did them no harm. It seems Kevin Kelly will have to do the same. Cody wants his forwards to be able to win their own ball and to be able to tackle as well as score, this goes back as far as Charlie Carter and Brian McEvoy.After being injured last year, this is Kelly's first year on the panel and I am sure he will become a regular in the future. From what I have seen as Brian Kennedy this year, his form didn't seem to be brilliant. I would be confident with Rob Lennon and Joe Lyng if called on to do a job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Charlie69

blackcard wrote: »
    TJ Reid and Richie Hogan had to serve their apprenticeship before becoming regulars, did them no harm. It seems Kevin Kelly will have to do the same. Cody wants his forwards to be able to win their own ball and to be able to tackle as well as score, this goes back as far as Charlie Carter and Brian McEvoy.After being injured last year, this is Kelly's first year on the panel and I am sure he will become a regular in the future. From what I have seen as Brian Kennedy this year, his form didn't seem to be brilliant. I would be confident with Rob Lennon and Joe Lyng if called on to do a job

I agree with all that, just surprised that Conor Martin has leapfrogged K Kelly in their apprenticeships. As I said I'm surprised, not horrified or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 shanboghted

Really don't understand the hype in here about Kevin Kelly! He's a good club hurler who I wouldn't be overly worried about when hurling against tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Really don't understand the hype in here about Kevin Kelly! He's a good club hurler who I wouldn't be overly worried about when hurling against tbh

You must be class, how long have you been in the Kilkenny panel?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

As a village man I am amazed how Diarmuid Cody can get in the matchday squad. Having seen him regularly last year and this year I must call a spade a spade and say it us nothing but pure nepotism. There is no way he is good enough. In fact for us last year when
    It came to the knockout stages he hurled so poor that he should he have been substituted. If his dad wasn't a selector he 100% would have been taken off. Haven't seen anything this year to see he has improved enough to be ahead of the likes of Luke Hickey, David Hennessy, Niall Tyrell and Luke Scanlon. And not saying any of those should be anywhere near the Kilkenny panel but for us they always perform way better than Diarmuid. For the rest of the Kilkenny squad it must be glaringly obvious and this can't lead to a happy camp. Can u imagine being Joey or Shane tomorrow and looking over your shoulder at Diarmuid warming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 shanboghted

You must be class, how long have you been in the Kilkenny panel?

Ok good input

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭Mulbert

It depends very much on who beats us!!

I can take losing to anyone other than Tipp, to be honest. Wouldn't begrudge Waterford although some of their fans, usually not really hurling people, are absolutely insufferable. But they've had some great teams that under achieved and have suffered a lot as fans so it would be hard to begrudge. But tipp? You can't beat them enough. Never by enough, never often enough.

Mulbert wrote: »

I can take losing to anyone other than Tipp, to be honest. Wouldn't begrudge Waterford although some of their fans, usually not really hurling people, are absolutely insufferable. But they've had some great teams that under achieved and have suffered a lot as fans so it would be hard to begrudge. But tipp? You can't beat them enough. Never by enough, never often enough.[/quo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Miall108 wrote: »
    Do I have to remind you about 08? For team who had won the league and Munster only the year before, are you really trying to tell me that there was that much distance in quality between the sides that was suggested in the scoreline? Ye beat Tipp in a Semi Final, a team who has arguably been the best in the country ever since along with us. 07 ye lost to Limerick in an All Ireland Semi when ye were raging hot favourites to win

Ye also folded in 13 when we were there for the taking but ye still couldnt get over the line in Extra Time. We also bet ye out of the gate and down the M50 in the league last year too. Im afraid that trends over the years show that Waterford do have this mental fragility on the biggest stage and more so when it comes to playing Kilkenny

And don't you just love it

I can take losing to anyone other than Tipp, to be honest. Wouldn't begrudge Waterford although some of their fans, usually not really hurling people, are absolutely insufferable. But they've had some great teams that under achieved and have suffered a lot as fans so it would be hard to begrudge. But tipp? You can't beat them enough. Never by enough, never often enough.

Dude...what?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

wtf???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Mulbert appears to be struggling with the intricacies of boards..

adrian522 wrote: »
    Mulbert appears to be struggling with the intricacies of boards..

It all got a bit too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 catseye2

Folks

Not sure how well known it is, but All city centre bridges are closed today for ironman so really think out your route if driving or taking train.

Might be best to stay on m50 all way to finglas

Don't want anyone to miss some hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

As a village man I am amazed how Diarmuid Cody can get in the matchday squad. Having seen him regularly last year and this year I must call a spade a spade and say it us nothing but pure nepotism. There is no way he is good enough. In fact for us last year when
    It came to the knockout stages he hurled so poor that he should he have been substituted. If his dad wasn't a selector he 100% would have been taken off. Haven't seen anything this year to see he has improved enough to be ahead of the likes of Luke Hickey, David Hennessy, Niall Tyrell and Luke Scanlon. And not saying any of those should be anywhere near the Kilkenny panel but for us they always perform way better than Diarmuid. For the rest of the Kilkenny squad it must be glaringly obvious and this can't lead to a happy camp. Can u imagine being Joey or Shane tomorrow and looking over your shoulder at Diarmuid warming up.

I don't believe that its nepotism. I mean this admiringly, because I can't say enough good things about him, but Cody is absolutely megalomanic. He's the type who doesn't give a damn if you are his son, grandson or anything else. If he doesn't think you're good enough he'll drop you in a heartbeat. Now, I'm sure Brian the family man is a different animal, but in terms of hurling he's too ruthless to fall into the old trap of nepotism.

I'm very nervous about today. I don't think its as clear cut as people are saying. I think we'll do it, possibly by four, but I think it will be tight for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭randd1

A lot of hungry Kilkenny people on the bus up. It's a travesty we have to go all the way up to Dublin just to devour a few blaas ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Yesterday , I had to go on a 45km journey through Co. Kilkenny and was surprised at the lack of Black & Amber flags on the roadside .

From the Ferry bridge vis The Rower/Inistioge , into Thomastown , and the first flag I saw was at the far side of Thomastown.
    Normally the Ollie Walsh memorial in Thomastown have flags flying at this time of the Championship.

Passed Jerpoint Abbey and not a flag in sight , past Mount Juliet and not a flag to be seen outside .

I saw 3 flags in total on the 45km journey .

• Advertisement

Just finished watching the highlights of the 2008 final. I always remembered thinking at the time that when Shefflin got that point from out on the sideline and took it as if he were straight in front of the posts then Waterford were in trouble. I didn't realise until now it was only Kilkenny's third point and it was only 0-03 to 0-01 at the time though. Just remember thinking if Shefflin was in that form then Waterford were f****d. Oddly I also remembering being as nervous that day too, and recall blasting out Amrhán na bhFiann from my seat in the Hogan Stand so loudly that they could probably hear me in Matt the Millers. It was my way of coping with the nerves lol.

Yesterday , I had to go on a 45km journey through Co. Kilkenny and was surprised at the lack of Black & Amber flags on the roadside .

From the Ferry bridge vis The Rower/Inistioge , into Thomastown , and the first flag I saw was at the far side of Thomastown.
    Normally the Ollie Walsh memorial in Thomastown have flags flying at this time of the Championship.

Passed Jerpoint Abbey and not a flag in sight , past Mount Juliet and not a flag to be seen outside .

Waterford have won the all important flag competition so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mondred95

Lads I heard a rumour that Richie Hogan won't start today due to sickness. Anyone else hear it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

mondred95 wrote: »
    Lads I heard a rumour that Richie Hogan won't start today due to sickness. Anyone else hear it?

I've just heard that he has failed a fitness test and won't start.

Sure if they put them up they'd only have to take them down tomorrow and pack them away for another year. Wise decision.

• Advertisement

Sure if they put them up they'd only have to take them down tomorrow and pack them away for another year. Wise decision.

We'll let the players do the talking on the field.

Not a bad minor match this one. I get the feeling Galway have the edge though. We're staying in it because we're more clinical with our finishing but their play is better.

Very Bored wrote: »
    Not a bad minor match this one. I get the feeling Galway have the edge though. We're staying in it because we're more clinical with our finishing but their play is better.

Someone needs to tell the KK goalkeeper to stop with his short puckouts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Rumour up here hogan out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Rumours here richie out

If Richie is out then its a level playing field.

Not a bad minor match. I presume it goes straight to replay rather than extra time? I can't see how there would be time before the senior for another twenty minutes what with the players needing to warm up and the parade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Ref played for a draw in the minor game but how Kilkenny didn't win in normal time I'll never know. Galway were awful, Kilkenny not much better.

Will the senior be delayed? Hard pressed to get a warm up and parade done before 3:30 with extra time in this.

Kilkenny were like a different team in the first half of extra time compared with the normal time period.

Will the senior be delayed? Hard pressed to get a warm up and parade done before 3:30 with extra time in this.

3.45pm start as per programme

• Advertisement

Threw that away.

3.45pm start as per programme

Thought it was due to start at 3:30?

Thought it was due to start at 3:30?

Yes but in the event of extra time, 3.45

Ah ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

just went through Waterford not a flag to be seen

Looks like its ye taking the flags down ;).

We will have to get a few masses said for Richie Power, won't win the AI without him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

We will have to get a few masses said for Richie Power, won't win the AI without him

Ye will still be hard bet but the presence of Colin Fennelly and big Walter gives hope to the rest.

FairPlay lads, feels like I'm going to the same match since 2004. Good luck in the final, in spite of what everyone seems to think on the match thread it'll take some team to beat ye. Very hard to play perfect hurling when you're shipping the hits those lads took today. A credit to both counties, with Kilkenny that bit more creditworthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Congratulations to kk in truth the much better team imo outthought and outfought a spirited waterford display in the ist half but as the second half showed once ye got over the five weeks break ye just won easily in the end and I felt ye dominated the second half

Holden was trouble with maurice who had fine game but no goals conceded is good
    Fennelly hogan Murphy Buckley etc were excellent
    As last year semi final proved ye get better for the final and I feel there's another twenty per cent in ye in ye always done enough but weren't in full flow
    Even being a cork fans I have to admire the skills and hunger and the performance from kk today
    Well deserved win ye were the much better team in my opinion and bar an off day with goal chance missed and easy point would won by more

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement