Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

FairPlay lads, feels like I'm going to the same match since 2004. Good luck in the final, in spite of what everyone seems to think on the match thread it'll take some team to beat ye. Very hard to play perfect hurling when you're shipping the hits those lads took today. A credit to both counties, with Kilkenny that bit more creditworthy.

Some quite inaccurate things being said, particularly about Waterford. Were ya surprised to see me sticking up for ye :eek:?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

FairPlay lads, feels like I'm going to the same match since 2004. Good luck in the final, in spite of what everyone seems to think on the match thread it'll take some team to beat ye. Very hard to play perfect hurling when you're shipping the hits those lads took today. A credit to both counties, with Kilkenny that bit more creditworthy.
    I thought the kk physical side of the game was well within the rules and great to watch

I think kk deserve more credit than waterford in outscored waterford goal twelve to ten points and missed two other clear chances
    Waterford didn't create one chance and the game was over soon as kk upped the gears in the second half
    The score said the same in its match report once kk upped gears waterford faded away and only one point last fifteen minutes shows it all

Waterford deserve credit for the commitment and fine individual performance but kk clearly better team and this wasn't really close game once kk took the lead it had a since of inevitable results about it
    Gleasson awesome talent and hopefully some day maybe will be all ireland final as I'm huge fan he's and he's some hurler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

I thought the kk physical side of the game was well within the rules and great to watch

I think kk deserve more credit than waterford in outscored waterford goal twelve to ten points and missed two other clear chances
    Waterford didn't create one chance and the game was over soon as kk upped the gears in the second half
    The score said the same in its match report once kk upped gears waterford faded away and only one point last fifteen minutes shows it all

Waterford deserve credit for the commitment and fine individual performance but kk clearly better team and this wasn't really close game once kk took the lead it had a since of inevitable results about it
    Gleasson awesome talent and hopefully some day maybe will be all ireland final as I'm huge fan he's and he's some hurler

Waterford also deserve huge credit for the way they have built. Going down to 1B, they could have basically given up and developed a chip on their shoulders about "Kilkenny ruining hurling" as certain other counties have.

Very Bored wrote: »
    Waterford also deserve huge credit for the way they have built. Going down to 1B, they could have basically given up and developed a chip on their shoulders about "Kilkenny ruining hurling" as certain other counties have.

They do to be fair but the gulf class was huge and imo there was lot premature talk waterford arrived at the top table but tippeary and kk both beaten them so they have a long way to go

They have a system yes and McGrath deserves new term however the lack scoring has been from play Huge problem all league and championship so unless fix that next year won't be getting to all ireland final

That's test for McGrath will he and can he evolve waterford next year

As for kk there said this cork thread going dominated next few years as average age twenty five and all munster counties have problems to sort

Tippeary if win all ireland or loose in period transition imo next year
    Galway if they loose will cunningjham stay
    Kk can loose this year and can bounce back

The gulf in class between the top two and top four was clear to see today imo
    Fennelly outstanding hurler
    Walsh shouldn't start the final and I don't think he will

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭redlead

Well done lads. I thought that Kilkenny were very impressive today. Shefflin said before the game it would be the Kilkenny forwards ability to win their own ball that would win it and that proved to be the case. Waterford never looked like winning it but gave a Kilkenny a very good fight nonethless which will really stand to you in the final. From a Waterford perspective it's been a great year for us and hopefully that team can continue to develop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Congrats KK, in truth the final scoreboard flattered our lads a bit, KK probly 10-12 points the better team. Buckley my motm, outstanding.

One interesting point though was just a single KK sub at 66 mins. Lack of faith in the bench?

Best of luck in the final.

KevIRL wrote: »
    Congrats KK, in truth the final scoreboard flattered our lads a bit, KK probly 10-12 points the better team. Buckley my motm, outstanding.

One interesting point though was just a single KK sub at 66 mins. Lack of faith in the bench?

Best of luck in the final.
    I'd agree with that all of it

Buckley was awesome
    Gleasson for me waterford best player
    What a player
    I think kk didn't make subs simply as always in control and never needed to as cody usually acts fast but fact he didn't don't think he was in any time worried kk loosing control of the match

I think he gave Walsh A lot time to prove himself but he won't start the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pat 22

Buckley was awesome
    What a player
    I think kk didn't make subs simply as always in control and never needed to as cody usually acts fast but fact he didn't don't think he was in any time worried kk loosing control of the match

I think he gave Walsh A lot time to prove himself but he won't start the next day

Must have been watching a dif game than me, just bcos he missed a few scoring chances don't mean he didn't play well, he won alot of ball, I would def expect him to start, very impressive from all our lads today, its a privilege to watch any Brian Cody team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Joey Holden very good. Cillian Buckley excellent and surly in line for hurler of the year along with TJ. Aylward earned his wings. Walter for some fifteen in the first half won every ball that came his way and then failed to build on a good first half display with a poor second half. He does not deserve however the more venomous remarks as he did he a very good first half. Mick Fennelly if he can stay fit for the final will be absolutely vital to our chances. A fitter Ritchie Hogan will be required as well. Because of Waterford's system it was always going to be a hard day for forwards and an easier day for defenders. At no point not even when Waterford went ahead did it ever feel like Kilkenny were in trouble. Excellent display all round when one considers Waterford's negativity. The big bonus is if it is at all possible would be to get Ritchie Power back on the match day bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Joey Holden very good. Cillian Buckley excellent and surly in line for hurler of the year along with TJ. Aylward earned his wings. Walter for some fifteen in the first half won every ball that came his way and then failed to build on a good first half display with a poor second half. He does not deserve however the more venomous remarks as he did he a very good first half. Mick Fennelly if he can stay fit for the final will be absolutely vital to our chances. A fitter Ritchie Hogan will be required as well. Because of Waterford's system it was always going to be a hard day for forwards and an easier day for defenders. At no point not even when Waterford went ahead did it ever feel like Kilkenny were in trouble. Excellent display all round when one considers Waterford's negativity. The big bonus is if it is at all possible would be to get Ritchie Power back on the match day bench.

CL_GuunWcAAUfnt.jpg

and not getting paid for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭skaface

Well done Kilkenny today

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

fair play to KK TODAY ,brilliant display

pat 22 wrote: »
    Must have been watching a dif game than me, just bcos he missed a few scoring chances don't mean he didn't play well, he won alot of ball, I would def expect him to start, very impressive from all our lads today, its a privilege to watch any Brian Cody team

He won a lot of ball and worked hard I never disagree
    My point is like any kk player cody judges on performance and while he was good at points questions is would power be better
    And based on last year all ireland final power is a super player

As for kk, yes whether you like them or not no doubt there the greatest team around with the greatest management ever and I said it cork thread many times this year will dominate for the next five years

I don't see anyone to challenge them next year
    As most teams are in transition and kk are like kerry the only team capable doing transition and still win an all ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pat 22

He won a lot of ball and worked hard I never disagree
    My point is like any kk player cody judges on performance and while he was good at points questions is would power be better
    And based on last year all ireland final power is a super player

As for kk, yes whether you like them or not no doubt there the greatest team around with the greatest management ever and I said it cork thread many times this year will dominate for the next five years

I don't see anyone to challenge them next year
    As most teams are in transition and kk are like kerry the only team capable doing transition and still win an all ireland

Which power? If u are talking about Richie, fair enough. On the other hand u meant John, I would say no chance of him taking w Walsh's place for the final.

I admit walter frustrates me at times but only bcos I expect more from him, with his size I would like to see him giving more of it like Jackie does. If he brings more of that to his game he'd b unstoppable, all in all the lad is doing good, like all our players today, I couldn't fault any of them for effort. Can't ask anymore from a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I admit walter frustrates me at times but only bcos I expect more from him, with his size I would like to see him giving more of it like Jackie does. If he brings more of that to his game he'd b unstoppable, all in all the lad is doing good, like all our players today, I couldn't fault any of them for effort. Can't ask anymore from a team.

Walter is a very poor striker of the ball. He really, really needs to improve on this.

In the same way Colin Fennelly really needs to improve his first touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Hitchens wrote: »
    CL_GuunWcAAUfnt.jpg

and not getting paid for it

Thats what you call playing through the pain barrier

Which power? If u are talking about Richie, fair enough. On the other hand u meant John, I would say no chance of him taking w Walsh's place for the final.

Riche of course
    I'm not faulting the effort at all
    No kk player ever can be faulted for effort
    It's cody look at all the stats and he'll say Walsh won ball but didn't score much where as power imo is a better scorer

You know as well as I do cody is ruthless in if one player gives a nine of a performance yes most teams will start him but cody has player like power capable giving a performance in a rating of ten so he'll always go for the better player

It's not a slight on Walsh in its more cody way of thinking and he doesn't do sentiment

I think I've figured out why Michael Fennelly is struggling with injury so often.... I reckon he runs through brick walls in training... He's a man mountain :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Riche of course
    I'm not faulting the effort at all
    No kk player ever can be faulted for effort
    It's cody look at all the stats and he'll say Walsh won ball but didn't score much where as power imo is a better scorer

You know as well as I do cody is ruthless in if one player gives a nine of a performance yes most teams will start him but cody has player like power capable giving a performance in a rating of ten so he'll always go for the better player

It's not a slight on Walsh in its more cody way of thinking and he doesn't do sentiment

Should know by now, Cody doesn't do stats. Unless Walter loses a leg in the next few weeks, he'll be playing the first Sunday in sept.

citykat wrote: »
    Should know by now, Cody doesn't do stats. Unless Walter loses a leg in the next few weeks, he'll be playing the first Sunday in sept.

What if Richie Power is fit?

The six starting forwards could be Hogan, Reid, Larkin, C Fennelly, Aylward and Power.

• Advertisement

What if Richie Power is fit?

The six starting forwards could be Hogan, Reid, Larkin, C Fennelly, Aylward and Power.

Yeah I'd say Cody would go for Power over Walsh. If Power isn't fit, Walter will get the nod IMO. I agree with you on his striking btw. It actually appears to be deteriorating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

citykat wrote: »
    Yeah I'd say Cody would go for Power over Walsh. If Power isn't fit, Walter will get the nod IMO. I agree with you on his striking btw. It actually appears to be deteriorating.

Walter is big and strong yes,but has zero pace and is v predicable,even in minor if I recall he got cleaned v Galway by a much smaller opponent in the A1?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thinlizzy51

much easier than I expected today.they never looked like beating us.as for the minor game thought the ref from tipp did all he could to beat us.

as for the minor game thought the ref from tipp did all he could to beat us.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

+1

At the same time the last free he gave ye to level it was right in front of me and a blatant dive. Didn't see enough to comment overall, thought their equalizer in normal time looked like steps but I guess there was some consolation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

The ref in the minor game rode KK I thought but that was indeed a blatant dive, unfortunately

At the same time the last free he gave ye to level it was right in front of me and a blatant dive.

Wouldn't argue with that. Very unhappy with the ref at the time but need to watch it again in the cold light of day. GY lads are giving out about him also.

At the same time the last free he gave ye to level it was right in front of me and a blatant dive. Didn't see enough to comment overall, thought their equalizer in normal time looked like steps but I guess there was some consolation.

I'll have another look at it tomorrow but I can remember that the player was definitely looking for the free rather than trying to just play on. I do take your word though if you say he dived.

Overall, I thought the ref was awful. For both teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Well in the minor game , there was clearly only one minute injury time .- and KK were leading by a point .

At 61:42 seconds Galway get a sideline cut and the player mis-hits it - the game should have been blown off with KK winning by a point .
    But no the referee plays on and Galway scores the equaliser .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

The thing I don't get is why, with 10mins left, and Waterford6down and needing goals still persisted with the sweeper? Why didn't they go for broke and push someone up on Paul Murphy? I realise that they played rigidly to this system for 12-18months now but I thought they'd said, stuff this and go for it.

Buckley was awesome
    What a player

All true but I think W Walsh is there or there abouts re: being on the team. He isn't everybody's cup of tea but is decent in the air and is a target for puck outs. Then they can throw him in ff. I think he's on as it gives KK these options. Not a graceful hurler but does a job. He needs to work the scoreboard operator a bit more though. Who else would take his place..JP?

I think I've figured out why Michael Fennelly is struggling with injury so often.... I reckon he runs through brick walls in training... He's a man mountain :pac:

Yeah, he only knows one way..the direct way. Put in a great shift today although maybe tries it too often instead of moving it on.

I wonder has he trained much this past 2 or 3 weeks?

I'll have another look at it tomorrow but I can remember that the player was definitely looking for the free rather than trying to just play on. I do take your word though if you say he dived.

Overall, I thought the ref was awful. For both teams.

A ref is always going to give a soft free to equalise. It's their de facto position...keeps everybody happy if there's extra time or a replay. We all say, ahh, it wouldn't have been a free in the first minute etc. but giving a free to equalise at the death is. like it or not, human nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Topcat32

From looking at the minor match today, there are some very good prospects in defense and midfield but the forwards looked quite poor, no forward was capable of really finishing Galway off when Kilkenny where on top like Blanchfield and John Walsh did to Waterford last year. Then again Henry Shefflin looked ordinary at times at minor and collages level so hopefully they will develop over the next few years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

One great display by Ritchie Leahy in the minor game. This guy has everything. One of the most impressive single displays from a Kilkenny minor in a long, long time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

Congrats on the win. Better team won, no complaints.

I always felt if ye matched our workrate and intensity ye would have too much for us and that proved to be the case. Ye were always going to go for goals early and when we were still in it after the first 35 mins I thought wed a great chance. But ye brought a different level of aggression to it in the second half. As fit and as hard as our lads worked all the year, ye matched that and more today. At times ye battered us around the middle third, the area where we have been so dominant all the year. Ye had that bit more experience and know-how about the big days in Croke Park and eventually wore us down. An education for our lads. Hopefully for our management aswell. I thought Cody was a bit edgy in the interview with Joanne Cantwell before the game, but that big beaming smile was back at the fulltime whistle. He will be relieved to get over this one. I know McGrath is well acquainted with Cody and has even been a mentor to McGraths school teams at De la Salle college, but there was no way this new kid on the block was ever going to knock Cody off his perch today.

I have a feeling it mightn't be the last time they'll come head to head in Croke Park, but interesting to see who yet get in the final now. Ive a preference for Galway, wouldn't mind seeing them have a cut off ye. But Ive a feeling it will be Tipp and with the couple lads back from injury I think ye'll have too much for them aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

looking back on it in the cold light of day, it wasn't a great performance at all. Waterford are seriously overrated and were really poor.

We had no problem beating them with a team to which Walsh, Larkin and Fennelly contributed virtually nothing between them. Also our full backs were never under pressure and had the freedom of the park. We won easily with a mediocre performance.

How bad does Walter have to be before he is taken off - as bad as Ruth? The good news is that we have massive room for improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Well in the minor game , there was clearly only one minute injury time .- and KK were leading by a point .

At 61:42 seconds Galway get a sideline cut and the player mis-hits it - the game should have been blown off with KK winning by a point .

Fans will have to get used the idea the injury is called on the basis of AT LEAST Extra play which can be extended for all sorts of reasons including slow play and injuries

I hope that this game is played next Sunday before the double header. It would only be fair to Galway.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Once more Refs refuse to give fair play as is the essential ingredient for a ref. The ref interfered in ordinary time to ensure a draw. KK won the match fair and square and were vastly superior to a micky mouse Galway team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Would I be right in guessing that you're not a big GAA fan? Now maybe I'm wrong in that but it doesn't seem like you're familiar with how injury time works. It's at LEAST one minute. So when 1 goes up on that board it means the referee won't blow it up any earlier than 61 minutes in this case (minor and club games are 60 minutes and senior are 70) and in fairness to the ref, he didn't blow it up before the 61st minute.

Now obviously when it says at least one minute injury time this generally will be a rough guideline of how long the ref will play but the reason it says "at least" is to allow the referee to add on more time if there's any delays during this injury time period. And yesterday you may remember Kilkenny brought on a sub in the 61st minute, this obviously delayed the game a little and thus a little extra time was added on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

unrealtime wrote: »
    Once more Refs refuse to give fair play as is the essential ingredient for a ref. The ref interfered in ordinary time to ensure a draw. KK won the match fair and square and were vastly superior to a micky mouse Galway team.

What does that say about Kilkenny, drawing with a Mickey Mouse team and being handed a nothing free to ensure that draw? Not much I'd argue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Rosita

Xenophile wrote: »
    Fans will have to get used the idea the injury is called on the basis of AT LEAST Extra play which can be extended for all sorts of reasons including slow play and injuries

I hope that this game is played next Sunday before the double header. It would only be fair to Galway.

"Fans" getting used to the idea that injury time announced is always at least .........? Good luck with that one. At every game the PA specifically uses the expression at least but even the people on the Sunday Game haven't worked that out so the average Joe in the stand is hardly going to get it. Especially when he's p*ssed off at the result, which of course is really what gripes about timekeeping relate to.

Just curious, why would playing before the double-header next Sunday "only be fair to Galway"? They've already been through the 'unfair' bit surely where Kilkenny enjoyed the support of the senior following too last Sunday. Not sure why playing for the seagulls at 12 o'clock in Croke Park next Sunday is (a) particularly fair on Galway (as opposed to Kilkenny) or (b) preferable to somewhere like Tullamore which is a shorter trip and would not involve supporters having to shell out another €40 because there's other matches on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Rosita

KK won the match fair and square and were vastly superior to a micky mouse Galway team.

KK people as gracious as ever I see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

A poor post given the effort put in by both minor teams yesterday. Kilkenny vastly superior? Not sure what game you were watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

I'm hearing rumours that next round of club games won't go ahead this weekend because of the minor replay.

Can anyone confirm? Thanks.

KK won the match fair and square and were vastly superior to a micky mouse Galway team.

*facepalm*

Our own minors might as well give up the game of hurling then since they didn't actually hockey Galway by 10 or 20 points.

Rosita wrote: »
    Just curious, why would playing before the double-header next Sunday "only be fair to Galway"? They've already been through the 'unfair' bit surely where Kilkenny enjoyed the support of the senior following too last Sunday. Not sure why playing for the seagulls at 12 o'clock in Croke Park next Sunday is (a) particularly fair on Galway (as opposed to Kilkenny) or (b) preferable to somewhere like Tullamore which is a shorter trip and would not involve supporters having to shell out another €40 because there's other matches on?

Xenophile is using this rationale:
    If Galway fans want to watch their minor and senior teams in the AI semi-finals, they had to pay for a ticket yesterday and purchase a ticket for next Sunday (i.e. quite expensive). But KK fans only had to buy a ticket for yesterday (quite cheap).

If the minor replay is on in Croke Park next Sunday, Galway fans won't have to spend more money going to Tullamore/Thurles, as they will most likely be going to the senior match anyway (i.e. no additional expense on Galway fans).

I'm not saying that they minor replay will be on in Croke Park, I'm just explaining Xenophile's rationale that you failed to grasp.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭blackwave

Overall, I am happy with the result, I thought we were the better team. Do feel though that we didnt play to the fullest of the ability and that a few players were poor. We will need to up the performance for whoever we get in the final. Cillian Buckley was fantastic really after maturing into a big player for us, himself and Hogan were our best players.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭droppingball

Delighted to get the win after a tough test. We were never at full throttle but intensity was top notch as ever, Waterford couldn't maintain the pace for full seventy and were blowing hard after 55 minutes.

Waterfords tactic was to slow everything down, puck outs and frees took an eternity, they didn't want Kilkenny to get into a rhythm. Thought Buckley and Padraig Walsh attacked up the two wings and gave off ball, this may have been a tactic to draw Waterford out and to avoid running into traffic, there use of the ball was great. We will need more scores from other forwards whilst keeping up the same workrate.

Joey Holden dealt with high balls very well, was using his body well to protect Murphy when dealing with high balls, thought he was solid. the real test may come with more space in front of him however.

If we avoid injuries we will be a good place for the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Rosita wrote: »
    unrealtime wrote:
    KK people as gracious as ever I see.

You're aware that Kilkenny people as a collective don't use a single boards account 'unrealtime', right?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement