Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭habanerocat

brookville wrote: »
    Anyway the minor team unchanged for sunday,hopefully they can get the job done although I feel they kinda left it behind them.

Same team named alright but there is a change in the forwards by all accounts.
    Don't have the exact details yet so I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

Brian017 wrote: »
    Well the Sky EPG changed yesterday to show GAA BEO starting at 11:45am instead of 1:00pm. The other minor SF had now moved to 2pm and the senior to 4pm as a result

Thanks all, for the confirmation.

I was referring to today's Irish Times 7 day TV Magazine. Maybe that is set up the week previously, as no mention of any matches before 1.00 pm.

This is not the first time this has happened, maybe the Irish Times could comment on this.

Anyway, good luck to the Kilkenny minors tomorrow. Hopefully, they will push on and get the job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭habanerocat

I see TG4 has: 1.00 GAA BEO Tipperary v Dublin (throw-in 1.30pm).

Is this a printing error.

I have noticed they have got these fixtures wrong previously.

I presume it should be Galway v Kilkenny (Minor Hurling AI SF replay)?
    Coverage starts at 11:45 on TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

Coverage starts at 11:45 on TG4.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

The minor team is as follows

S Murphy
    M Cody T Walsh C McGrath
    D Mullen D Joyce C Doheny
    R Leahy J Connolly
    D O'Connor S O'Mahony J Donnelly
    A Gaffney J Cuddihy T O'Dwyer
    Subs
    L Dunphy
    M Drennan
    R Bergin
    E Delaney
    C Hennessy
    N Walsh
    B Sheehan
    J McEvoy
    R Butler

• Registered Users Posts: 31 BORO BILL

This team wont start. One change in defence and midfiield and two in forwards. Conor hennessy will start. The best of luck to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭justbored

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Was just having a check through the results and fixtures on KilkennyGaa.ie. It appears the Junior North and Junior South Finals are next weekend, which would leave just the All County Junior Final to play. Isn't that very early to be playing off the Junior Championship, and if so why is it being done that way for junior and not for intermediate/senior?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭justbored

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thinlizzy51

fancy dublin minors@ evens plus2 tomorrow@ Galway evens plus3 v tipp.actually fancy both to win.

justbored wrote: »

No, these were JJ Kavanagh & Sons North Junior H.C. and Iverk Produce South Junior H.C. matches and fixtures. The southern final is scheduled for a week's time. Strange day to play it too, a Friday. The northern championship doesn't seem to be at quite such an advanced stage, though its still in the latter stages and it seems strange that the junior is so far ahead of the intermediate and senior.

JHC.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

My second team to try and beat my first selection with no duplicates

Eoin Murphy
    Eddie O'Connor, Noel Hickey, Willie O'Connor
    Liam Walsh, Brian Hogan, Cillian Buckley
    Michael Rice, Derek Lyng,
    Titch, John Power-Callan, Gorta,
    Taggy, Richie Power,Yommy,

Oh the money I'd pay to watch Pat O'Neill and John Power marking each other :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭Buck Melanoma

Just following minor match on kk gaa twitter, minors two points up after bad start, are they playing well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Square ball all day long. Really poor from the ref.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Been screwed out of this one by refs on 2 different days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭randd1

adrian522 wrote: »
    Been screwed out of this one by refs on 2 different days.

Ref was bad, but the very poor wides and the quite frankly poor defending was a bigger factor, we were much the better side but just couldn't make it count.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Another blunder from Lyons! He just loves the cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

me89 wrote: »
    Square ball all day long. Really poor from the ref.

Even O'Grady was laughing at it in replay and struggling to find ways to justify the incompetence of the umpire and ref

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

What the hell do some umpires be doing when a ball coming in like that! Most blatant square ball you ever see.

KK should had the result sewn up before this incident. By far the better team over 60 mins, just hit some really bad wides. In fairness to Galway, goals won matches even ones that should be disallowed! GY's FF was top class with his frees.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Robbed by referee two weeks in a row tough on Kilkenny minors

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Disgraceful officiating for the square ball. The ref had a clear view of it, and the umpire (who must have been in his 70's) was literally standing 3 yards away. Are they just plain stupid or what?

That said, Kilkenny were the better team on both days and still found a way to lose the game. You'd have to ask questions of the way the management set up the team also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

In fairness, it was a square ball but they only had to protect a 4 point lead with 5 minutes left. Should have closed it out.

Mightn't be the worst thing in the world for them to taste defeat, can be the making of some players.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Really bad wide just before that too that would have put us 3 points up. Hard to believe they lost given how on top they were.

Square ball aside, kilkenny had loads of ball in first half,but didnt have scoring forwards . Their best scoring forwards warming the bench. Said it before, hoban changed his teambecause of galways sweeper lost faith in the kilkenny system and paid the price

In fairness, it was a square ball but they only had to protect a 4 point lead with 5 minutes left. Should have closed it out.

Mightn't be the worst thing in the world for them to taste defeat, can be the making of some players.

Multiple chances to close it out esp. 6 pts up in ET last week.

Don't agree on your second point. This'll probably be the last time some of these lads will wear the B & A. Also we've seen how things can change between minor and U21. There's no guarantee these lads will reach an AI semi in 3 yrs time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

randd1 wrote: »
    Ref was bad, but the very poor wides and the quite frankly poor defending was a bigger factor, we were much the better side but just couldn't make it count.

True. Totally agree.

Started poorly then grew into game. Well in control at half time. Only 3 pts (I think) from play in 2nd half tells it's own story. 2 late goals killed us, one clearly a square ball. Couldn't handle the big man over the 2 days. Biggest turning point for me was when we had a super chance before that to go 2 up but it was a very poor miss. Even with goal, we wouldn't been only 1 pt down and could have nicked a point at the death instead of going for goal.

But that's minors for you. Hopefully a good few will push on and we'll see in a few years how many 'make it' in the U21's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Anyone have any idea why the referee decided to rule out a KK point and award a free to Galway from which they scored a point, just before half time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Disgraceful officiating for the square ball. The ref had a clear view of it, and the umpire (who must have been in his 70's) was literally standing 3 yards away. Are they just plain stupid or what?

That said, Kilkenny were the better team on both days and still found a way to lose the game. You'd have to ask questions of the way the management set up the team also.

How many time have KK sides robbed matches off teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Anyone have any idea why the referee decided to rule out a KK point and award a free to Galway from which they scored a point, just before half time?

I believe it was for a Kilkenny player throwing up and catching the ball, must have got a signal from the linesman. Im in Croke Park and the square ball decision was crasy, the Kilkenny management made sure to have a polite word in the refs ear after the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

I believe it was for a Kilkenny player throwing up and catching the ball, must have got a signal from the linesman. Im in Croke Park and the square ball decision was crasy, the Kilkenny management made sure to have a polite word in the refs ear after the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Topcat32 wrote: »

And what is effin pt of the quite word......Cody well known for them also. Some times you just have to take beatings that you don't deserve like everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Galway will be a much tougher proposition in the final than Tipp. Despite some here saying Tipp were a much better side this year than last, the Tipp display's this year did not support that. This is one of the best Galway teams we will ever face, a far different team than the one we played in the Leinster final. It is going to be a tight tough final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Very Bored wrote: »
    No, these were JJ Kavanagh & Sons North Junior H.C. and Iverk Produce South Junior H.C. matches and fixtures. The southern final is scheduled for a week's time. Strange day to play it too, a Friday. The northern championship doesn't seem to be at quite such an advanced stage, though its still in the latter stages and it seems strange that the junior is so far ahead of the intermediate and senior.

JHC.jpg

They aren't championship matchs. Junior championship in Kilkenny was North and South until a few years ago. They retained these as another competition. There's still one round left in the league championship.

Road-Hog wrote: »
    How many time have KK sides robbed matches off teams?

Ah stop, this blind hatred of Kilkenny for the simple fact that the Cats are successful is getting wearisome.

Local_Chap wrote: »
    They aren't championship matchs. Junior championship in Kilkenny was North and South until a few years ago. They retained these as another competition. There's still one round left in the league championship.

Ah ok, thanks, I didn't realise.

The thing with the Galway performance today is that whilst it was very good, there was also a lot wrong with it. Leaving Mannion on Callanan was a disaster and then Joe was silly at times trying the impossible when there were far better options available to him. I'd be surprised if Cunningham doesn't see the work he needs to do and that's almost the perfect scenario as too perfect a performance leaves you guessing on where to improve. Obviously, Cody will have Kilkenny very well prepared as he always does, and in many ways Kilkenny's semi was very similar in that there was also a lot to work on there. I think it will be a very good match.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Very Bored wrote: »
    The thing with the Galway performance today is that whilst it was very good, there was also a lot wrong with it. Leaving Mannion on Callanan was a disaster and then Joe was silly at times trying the impossible when there were far better options available to him. I'd be surprised if Cunningham doesn't see the work he needs to do and that's almost the perfect scenario as too perfect a performance leaves you guessing on where to improve. Obviously, Cody will have Kilkenny very well prepared as he always does, and in many ways Kilkenny's semi was very similar in that there was also a lot to work on there. I think it will be a very good match.

The issue wasn't really Mannion, the problem was Tannion wasn't giving him enough protection. He wasn't picking up Brendan Maher and he wasn't protecting his full back while he hurled a bit of ball in the 2nd half he spent most of the 1 st half in no mans land watching the ball go over and down the sides of him. If they do the same the next day TJ will do what Callanan did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Travelled to croke park today hoping for a good days entertainment and by god it didn't disappoint,hard luck to the minors but couldn't c out the match both days and little impact from the bench,tommy disappointed me at full back but it's not his natural position,we drove some handy wides when our tails were up to c out the match but couldn't convert,disappointed but best of luck to galway in the final,the senior was a cracker and galway will relish the challenge but some of tipps fowards left them down,the high ball caused galway huge trouble and obviously kk will try expose that but equally they have top class fowards to trouble us,should be a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

Galway will be a much tougher proposition in the final than Tipp. Despite some here saying Tipp were a much better side this year than last, the Tipp display's this year did not support that. This is one of the best Galway teams we will ever face, a far different team than the one we played in the Leinster final. It is going to be a tight tough final.

100% agree with that assessment! As a Galway man, obviously I will be hoping we carry the day. But as a hurling man, I hope it is a tight, exciting match with no refereeing controversy - which I believe it will be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Galway's intensity today and tackling, hooking, blocking etc. reminded me of a KK performance.

If Galway can produce that in the final, it's going to be some game.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thinlizzy51

cunningham is a very lucky manager tonite in my opinion. his full back was mauled in thurles last year @ he didn't move him (should have been stacked) same today but they still won.would have been ripped by fans @ press had they lost.as for the minors shocking decision against them again today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

The issue wasn't really Mannion, the problem was Tannion wasn't giving him enough protection. He wasn't picking up Brendan Maher and he wasn't protecting his full back while he hurled a bit of ball in the 2nd half he spent most of the 1 st half in no mans land watching the ball go over and down the sides of him. .

I think if my granny was playing she might have got a few hooks in on Tannion

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Scaldy Ned

As a Waterford supporter I watched the game today and thought what a final this will be . I will be shouting for Galway because someone needs to show that KK can be beaten ..... That being said I also thought watching the game today that KK have taken the game to such a high standard it's unreal ... I watched city v Chelsea today and enjoyed ..... I watched Galway tipp twice and lived it .... Credit to the cats for bringing our game to an unprecedented level .... You broke our hearts yet again last week but you can winge about it or you can rise to the same level . So cmon Galway show it can be done and if you do .... Be sure to thank Codys KK for setting the standard. Up the deise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I'd have to say that I'm looking forward to the final and while I expect it to be tight and tough I believe Kilkenny will win it out in the end.

A our defence will be tighter and tougher than Tipp.

B our midfield will be a completely different proposition for Smith and Burke who and the freedom of the park today.

C our forwards as a whole will hurl better than Tipp did.

D it's one thing to be physical and boss an opposing team which Galway did today, but what happens when the other team do it back to you? I think that will reduce Galways effectiveness.

All this is predicated on Kilkenny been in absolute top form which I hope and believe they will be as it's a very rare Cody team that doesn't turn up in the right frame of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Miall108

Scaldy Ned wrote: »
    I will be shouting for Galway because someone needs to show that KK can be beaten

Some neighbour you are alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Scaldy Ned

Miall108 wrote: »

In all fairness .... I think you've been selective with the quote . If you read my post you'll see that I want to see a Galway win just to show it can be done . Also I've conceded that KK have set the standard for the modern game. The irony is this ....if Galway win its because KK have made them get up at 5am on Stephens day in the freezing. Cold to go train ....... That's what you need to do to beat KK ..... Then you hear KK were up At 4am lol . On the neighbour issue .... Have you ever worked in a wAterford factory ??? Lol .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Miall108 wrote: »

It's not a popularity contest. Tipp are our neighbours, I'd still prefer anyone bar them win in a game of tiddlywinks.

never saw paudie maher as poor as he was yesterday, had no influence on the game at all.Seemed to be a bit too physical for bubbles . Does this move callinan ahead of tj for hurler of the year?

BORO BILL wrote: »
    never saw paudie maher as poor as he was yesterday, had no influence on the game at all.Seemed to be a bit too physical for bubbles . Does this move callinan ahead of tj for hurler of the year?

Regarding Callinan, one swallow never made a summer. He was well held in the Munster final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

citykat wrote: »
    Regarding Callinan, one swallow never made a summer. He was well held in the Munster final.

Yeah I still think Hogan Reid and Cillian Buckley are out in front for HOTY. Colm Callinan is probably dead cert now for the goalie position

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement