Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

You obviously didn't see the Limerick game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

BORO BILL wrote: »
    never saw paudie maher as poor as he was yesterday, had no influence on the game at all.Seemed to be a bit too physical for bubbles . Does this move callinan ahead of tj for hurler of the year?

Regarding Callinan, one swallow never made a summer. He was well held in the Munster final.

BORO BILL wrote: »
    never saw paudie maher as poor as he was yesterday, had no influence on the game at all.Seemed to be a bit too physical for bubbles . Does this move callinan ahead of tj for hurler of the year?

Regarding Callinan, one swallow never made a summer. He was well held in the Munster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

and of course we have seen how impressive Limerick have been this year......:rolleyes:

About the same as Wexford?

I did. Limerick were woeful particularly in the full back line. TJ minced the same FB that held Seamie.

About the same as Wexford?

Callinan was brilliant yesterday but hoty on one performance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭Hitchens

citykat wrote: »
    Callinan was brilliant yesterday but hoty on one performance?

Yes, and it's not as if Cunningham switched someone else on to him.

Plenty of occasions where TJ was poor and held too...

I'm not saying Callanan is player of the year - i'm saying it wasn't his only great performance this year. He destroyed Limerick.

More of a case of the system and tactics that tipp and waterford played that day in the munster final- seamus did not just have one marker...

Also, Callanan has more goals than TJ and Ritchie put together. At 26 he is still ten away from Eddie Brennan. But. he'll get there. If Callanan had more help yesterday there's no telling what he would have got...- So credit where credit is due. Saying he only had one good performance this year is not true.

• Advertisement

Hitchens wrote: »
    Yes, and it's not as if Cunningham switched someone else on to him.

Hanbury was on him for the peno decision.

What's the point to such a statement? Scoring that amount in a semi final is some achievement. As Henry Shefflin conceded last night he never scored that much from play in an inter-county semi final

Plenty of occasions where TJ was poor and held too...

I'm not saying Callanan is player of the year - i'm saying it wasn't his only great performance this year. He destroyed Limerick.

More of a case of the system and tactics that tipp and waterford played that day in the munster final- seamus did not just have one marker...

Also, Callanan has more goals than TJ and Ritchie put together. At 26 he is still ten away from Eddie Brennan. But. he'll get there. If Callanan had more help yesterday there's no telling what he would have got...- So credit where credit is due. Saying he only had one good performance this year is not true.

I didn't say he had only one good performance this year. I just don't think he'll get hoty on yesterday's match. As regards the best individual display of the year, it probably won't be topped. Hoty has to be sustained over the season. I think Seamies MF performance will count against him in that regard.

Hanbury was on him for the peno decision.

Hanbury didn't let him waltz through

i took "one swallow never made a summer." to suggest that he only had that one good performance this summer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Are we in a cave or something, what's with all the echoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭robwen

Cillian Buckley has been the most consistent hurler this year so far imo, thought he was MOM in Leinster & All Ire semi final & should be right in the mix for HOTY

I'd agree with that. Rolls Royce of a hurler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Callinan unbelievable yesterday, what a performance, almost unplayable. Had Tipperary used the space in front of him more he would have had another couple of goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Cilian Buckley is a shoe-in for hurler of the year but being from KK probably wont get it.

As regards final KK will have a different team also - we have the benefit of another game and we have extras such as Michael Fennelly and Shane Prendergast and maybe Richie. We should be okay to win.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

unrealtime wrote: »
    Cilian Buckley is a shoe-in for hurler of the year but being from KK probably wont get it.

What do you mean by this? Who is the current HOTY?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

As regards final KK will have a different team also - we have the benefit of another game and we have extras such as Michael Fennelly and Shane Prendergast and maybe Richie. We should be okay to win.

Why would being from Kilkenny come against Cillian? Carey(2), Shefflin(3), Delaney, Walsh, Larkin, Fennelly and Hogan have all won it in the last 15 years and i am pretty sure they are all from Kilkenny!:confused:

I'd agree with that. Rolls Royce of a hurler

Yeah, his form has been exceptional over the last 2 years. But it is funny how things work out, Cillian was always a midfielder/half forward as an underage player and when he first came on the senior panel but his conversion to wing back came about more by accident than design. He was first thrown in there in the league match in Nowlan park last year against Tipp when Tipp destroying us in the first half and Cody took off half his back line before the start of the second half. Bringing in Paul Murphy, Richie Hogan at midfield with Lester Ryan moving to centre back and Cillian on the wing, they steadied the ship and Kilkenny went on to win the match. And Richie went on to win HOTY as a midfielder and Cillian an All Star as a wing back!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

Any idea on who the referee will be? Was Brian Galvin cleared last week which would mean he could still be considered?

His experience in former positions is evident in his wing back play - always has his head up looking for the pass, makes space for himself, and knows what kind of a ball a forward wants. Long range point taking ability coupled with accurate passing - great in the air - top class player.

Has an engine too

• Advertisement

donnem33 wrote: »
    Any idea on who the referee will be? Was Brian Galvin cleared last week which would mean he could still be considered?

Rare that either of the semi refs get the final. My guess would be James Owens
    with James McGrath the most likely alternative. Colm Lyons probably ruined whatever outside chance he may have had with his boo boo on the square ball in the minor match.

Ya wha'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Word has it power is moving well and should be available,he would be a huge addition but has very little hurling done,james owens should get the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

As regards being from Kilkenny it is a disadvantage in that b
    twice in recent years as All Ireland champions we have received less stars than teams we beat.

In Galway's case for example we played them 5 times won 3 drew 1 and lost only one. Riddle me that then if you think that KK hurlers are not at a disadvantage - of course they are.

twice in recent years as All Ireland champions we have received less stars than teams we beat.

In Galway's case for example we played them 5 times won 3 drew 1 and lost only one. Riddle me that then if you think that KK hurlers are not at a disadvantage - of course they are.

Last years all stars were a farce but I disagree on hoty.

• Advertisement

You should head over to the Conspiracy Theories forum.

Tell me, when has this 'disadvantage' had an effect on a KK player winning HOTY?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Look at the so called experts yesterday those that select ( HOTY and All Stars) ABK Mullane, ABK O'Grady, Daly, O'Connor and all the so called (former player) expert pundits going for a Tipp win and a comfortable one at that. They choose to ignore that the most impressive display prior to yesterdays was Galway's demolition of Cork (a mistake Brian Cody would never make). These so called experts bought into their own collective hysteria by not looking at yesterdays match as a game of fairly equal opponents but for whom they thought or more correctly hoped could beat Kilkenny. Their punditry is based on nothing more than this hope rather than on clinical cold fact. That they failed to see ever before yesterdays game that Tipp had no hope of beating Kilkenny this year while Galway do tells me a lot of the mind sets of these so called experts. Hence Tipp getting more All Stars last year and why Kilkenny are at a disadvantage when these so called awards are handed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

Generally the all starts and hoty are a bit of a joke, but not at Kilkenny players expense. 90% of it seems to come down to the semi finals and the final, so if you're from a weaker team you can practically forget about an all star, let alone hoty. They're supposed to be individual awards.

For HOTY you really need to be on the AI winning team.

2007 is about the only year I'd say the kilkenny players were slightly unlucky. 3 drab games against weak opposition and 1 against decent opposition. Hard to pick out lads for individual awards based on those games.

Look at the so called experts yesterday those that select ( HOTY and All Stars) ABK Mullane, ABK O'Grady, Daly, O'Connor and all the so called (former player) expert pundits going for a Tipp win and a comfortable one at that. They choose to ignore that the most impressive display prior to yesterdays was Galway's demolition of Cork (a mistake Brian Cody would never make). These so called experts bought into their own collective hysteria by not looking at yesterdays match as a game of fairly equal opponents but for whom they thought or more correctly hoped could beat Kilkenny. Their punditry is based on nothing more than this hope rather than on clinical cold fact. That they failed to see ever before yesterdays game that Tipp had no hope of beating Kilkenny this year while Galway do tells me a lot of the mind sets of these so called experts. Hence Tipp getting more All Stars last year and why Kilkenny are at a disadvantage when these so called awards are handed out.

Sure most people fancied tipp, including the bookies, about 65% of boards and most people I spoke to about it. With good reason too, they'd won was it 4 of the last 5 head to heads? had an impressive provincial win after demolishing limerick. And took Kilkenny to a replay in an AI final last year. Sure they were inches from winning that game.

Tipp will be disappointed with yesterday. Other than Callinan none of their players scored more than a point from play. Galway won well. But I'd say a lot of tipp fans will think it was more down to their poor performance.

blue note wrote: »
    Sure most people fancied tipp, including the bookies, about 65% of boards and most people I spoke to about it. With good reason too, they'd won was it 4 of the last 5 head to heads? had an impressive provincial win after demolishing limerick. And took Kilkenny to a replay in an AI final last year. Sure they were inches from winning that game.

Tipp will be disappointed with yesterday. Other than Callinan none of their players scored more than a point from play. Galway won well. But I'd say a lot of tipp fans will think it was more down to their poor performance.

Tipp could have won that match yesterday, in fact a draw would have been a fair result ..........there was 1 point in it at the end ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thinlizzy51

last year it was the callinan show v galway.this year the same.take him @ maybe o dwyer out of it@ their forward line is grossly over hyped.I went for galway to beat cork @ tipp many posts back because they have better forwards than both.however we have the best backline in the country still @ tasty forwards.on another note galway were lucky not to have a man off yesterday. feel the final will be very physical.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Miall108

It's not a popularity contest. Tipp are our neighbours, I'd still prefer anyone bar them win in a game of tiddlywinks.

Big difference though. Im sure you dont go start going over to the Tipp forum and rub it in about your dislike of them.

Its a very subtle dig if you ask me

No Tipp did not. The Ref did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭robwen

Current Paddypower odds

HURLER OF THE YEAR 2015

TJ Reid 4/9
    Joe Canning 7/2
    Richie Hogan 9/2
    Cathal Mannion 13/2
    Cillian Buckley 25/1
    Iarla Tannian 33/1
    Paul Murphy 40/1
    Johnny Coen 50/1
    Maurice Shanahan 50/1
    Jonathan Glynn 80/1
    Andy Smith 80/1
    Eoin Larkin 100/1
    Joey Holden 100/1

Young Hurler of the Year

Cathal Mannion 2/5
    Jason Flynn 2/1
    Conor Whelan 10/1
    Austin Gleeson 12/1
    Tadhg de Burca 33/1

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/gaa-sports/gaa-hurling/all-ireland-shc?ev_oc_grp_ids=1578482

You cant blame most people if the so called experts are so blinkered they are no longer impartial. They are paid to be experts not to use their personal pettiness as the sole criteria for offering their opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackcard

You cant blame most people if the so called experts are so blinkered they are no longer impartial. They are paid to be experts not to use their personal pettiness as the sole criteria for offering their opinions.
    Fairly sure that Henry tipped Tipp to win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

robwen wrote: »
    Current Paddypower odds

HURLER OF THE YEAR 2015

TJ Reid 4/9
    Joe Canning 7/2
    Richie Hogan 9/2
    Cathal Mannion 13/2
    Cillian Buckley 25/1
    Iarla Tannian 33/1
    Paul Murphy 40/1
    Johnny Coen 50/1
    Maurice Shanahan 50/1
    Jonathan Glynn 80/1
    Andy Smith 80/1
    Eoin Larkin 100/1
    Joey Holden 100/1

Young Hurler of the Year

Cathal Mannion 2/5
    Jason Flynn 2/1
    Conor Whelan 10/1
    Austin Gleeson 12/1
    Tadhg de Burca 33/1

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/gaa-sports/gaa-hurling/all-ireland-shc?ev_oc_grp_ids=1578482

Ah jaysus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

robwen wrote: »
    Current Paddypower odds

HURLER OF THE YEAR 2015

TJ Reid 4/9
    Joe Canning 7/2
    Richie Hogan 9/2
    Cathal Mannion 13/2
    Cillian Buckley 25/1
    Iarla Tannian 33/1
    Paul Murphy 40/1
    Johnny Coen 50/1
    Maurice Shanahan 50/1
    Jonathan Glynn 80/1
    Andy Smith 80/1
    Eoin Larkin 100/1
    Joey Holden 100/1

Young Hurler of the Year

Cathal Mannion 2/5
    Jason Flynn 2/1
    Conor Whelan 10/1
    Austin Gleeson 12/1
    Tadhg de Burca 33/1

Hmmm.. would have Hogan, C Mannion, Buckley, maybe even Jason Flynn, ahead of JC at the moment, and this from his biggest fan. Does one of the 'P's in PP stand for 'populist'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Hitchens wrote: »
    Tipp could have won that match yesterday, in fact a draw would have been a fair result ..........there was 1 point in it at the end ffs

Had it ended in a draw, we'd get the "Referees always play for a draw" and people going on about the referee getting another big pay day for the GAA. When it is a result like yesterday, there's always people to say "The ref should have played more time" or the aforementioned "a draw would have been a fair result." Referees can't win.

No Tipp did not. The Ref did.

Hawkeye?

blackcard wrote: »
    Fairly sure that Henry tipped Tipp to win

So what. His was a genuine opinion unlike ABK Mullane and ABK O'Grady both of whom have been on a Kilkenny bashing campaign all year. How many times have you read from these so called experts that Tipp were the only team capable of beating Kilkenny. Well they are not they never were this year. Galway are a far more serious threat than Tipp ever were. The difference between Henry and these is the difference between an honest opinion and a biased opinion. Again I will say it is these same people who awarded the runners up more All Stars that the winners last year. It would not happen in any other sport in any other country.

Flukey wrote: »
    Had it ended in a draw, we'd get the "Referees always play for a draw" and people going on about the referee getting another big pay day for the GAA. When it is a result like yesterday, there's always people to say "The ref should have played more time" or the aforementioned "a draw would have been a fair result." Referees can't win.
    never said any of that except "a draw would have been a fair result.", which it could easily have been

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackcard

So what. His was a genuine opinion unlike ABK Mullane and ABK O'Grady both of whom have been on a Kilkenny bashing campaign all year. How many times have you read from these so called experts that Tipp were the only team capable of beating Kilkenny. Well they are not they never were this year. Galway are a far more serious threat than Tipp ever were. The difference between Henry and these is the difference between an honest opinion and a biased opinion. Again I will say it is these same people who awarded the runners up more All Stars that the winners last year. It would not happen in any other sport in any other country.

Mullane tipped Kilkenny to win last year, fairly sure his tips are based on his honest opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Miall108

Never liked Mullane myself but in fairness I do think he does a good job with his column in the Independent. He can be a little biased when it comes to Waterford at times though but overall he does offer a very balanced opinion. Donal Og Grady I find is pretty balanced and have never really seen anything out of sorts with what he has to say. Its a vast overreaction

• Advertisement

I really don't understand how someone tipping tipp to beat Galway is an anti Kilkenny thing. And it happens all the time in other sports that player of the year is not from the winning team / and usually the spread of teams represented on teams of the year is far greater.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement