Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Miall108 wrote: »
    Never liked Mullane myself but in fairness I do think he does a good job with his column in the Independent. He can be a little biased when it comes to Waterford at times though but overall he does offer a very balanced opinion. Donal Og Grady I find is pretty balanced and have never really seen anything out of sorts with what he has to say. Its a vast overreaction

O'Grady is the cheerleader for the anti-KK brigade. He comes out with some drivel on co-commentary especially on TG4 as gaeilge.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Miall108

citykat wrote: »
    O'Grady is the cheerleader for the anti-KK brigade. He comes out with some drivel on co-commentary especially on TG4 as gaeilge.

Give me a few examples so of what he has said.

Being honest having listened to him more closely as a result of people on here I still havent seen much to back those claims.

Being honest having listened to him more closely as a result of people on here I still havent seen much to back those claims.

His favourite is the 'Henry throw'. When a player throws the ball forward but fails to touch his hurl. Apparently Henry dreamt this one up before any other hurler ever did. Listen to him critique KKs tackling during a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

MfMan wrote: »
    Hmmm.. would have Hogan, C Mannion, Buckley, maybe even Jason Flynn, ahead of JC at the moment, and this from his biggest fan. Does one of the 'P's in PP stand for 'populist'?

I can see where the bookies are coming from if he is to have a good final and Galway are to win it could very likely happen. I am sure they are very wary of his profile and the fact that he is regular contact with the majority of journalists at various launches and promotions some of whom will be part of the judging panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 The growler

You cant blame most people if the so called experts are so blinkered they are no longer impartial. They are paid to be experts not to use their personal pettiness as the sole criteria for offering their opinions.

Using personal pettiness as the sole criteria for offering an opinion?

Pot. Kettle. Black.

You're welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭randd1

So what. His was a genuine opinion unlike ABK Mullane and ABK O'Grady both of whom have been on a Kilkenny bashing campaign all year. How many times have you read from these so called experts that Tipp were the only team capable of beating Kilkenny. Well they are not they never were this year. Galway are a far more serious threat than Tipp ever were. The difference between Henry and these is the difference between an honest opinion and a biased opinion. Again I will say it is these same people who awarded the runners up more All Stars that the winners last year. It would not happen in any other sport in any other country.

Any chance you used the moniker Georgiakat on the old Kilkennycats forum? Just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 shanboghted

Thought Austin Gleeson would of been shorter than 12s for yhoty he's been magnificent this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

brookville wrote: »
    Word has it power is moving well and should be available,he would be a huge addition but has very little hurling done,james owens should get the final.

Good to hear that, am I right in saying that he has only played one club match this year? Asking a lot of him to make a contribution but his experience could be vital

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ttowncat

Will cyrill donnellan face any CCCC stuff for his strike during the match seeing as the ref didn't see or deal with it? Think he would have learned his lesson after the last time he pulled back like that!

I thought Barry Kelly actually had a good game, and I'm one of his biggest critics! He must be after evolving as a ref as he is not as whistle happy as he used to be.

Also does anyone know how fit Richie hogan is with his back?

Just watched yesterdays again, Galway could have finished with 11 men. Donnellon could have got a red for his swipe on Woodlock, by the letter of the law Canning's yellow could have been a red, Hanbury's tackle on Callanan was gruesome it was practically a spear tackle if that happened on a rugby pitch he would be facing a citing and a 8-12 weeks ban and Mannion should have been sent off he threw his hurl at Callanan on the first and third goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Just watched yesterdays again, Galway could have finished with 11 men. Donnellon could have got a red for his swipe on Woodlock, by the letter of the law Canning's yellow could have been a red, Hanbury's tackle on Callanan was gruesome it was practically a spear tackle if that happened on a rugby pitch he would be facing a citing and a 8-12 weeks ban and Mannion should have been sent off he threw his hurl at Callanan on the first and third goals.

For the first goal the hurl was not thrown he let it go very quickly when he got a splinter in his finger

For the first goal the hurl was not thrown he let it go very quickly when he got a splinter in his finger

Haha, that is a classic reply... you are taking the p***, aren't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

So what. His was a genuine opinion unlike ABK Mullane and ABK O'Grady both of whom have been on a Kilkenny bashing campaign all year. How many times have you read from these so called experts that Tipp were the only team capable of beating Kilkenny. Well they are not they never were this year. Galway are a far more serious threat than Tipp ever were. The difference between Henry and these is the difference between an honest opinion and a biased opinion. Again I will say it is these same people who awarded the runners up more All Stars that the winners last year. It would not happen in any other sport in any other country.

Oh FFS savannahkat will you get over the All-Stars from last year. You're losing any credibility you have on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Martin567

Donal O'Grady is incapable of discussing Kilkenny in an unbiased way. Most annoying of all is how he keeps referring to Kilkenny in matches where they aren't even playing. It's usually to blame Kilkenny for bringing some type of offence into the game that another team has just committed. It's a constant indirect sniping and begrudgery that has been very consistent for a long time now.

Listen to him the next time he is co-commentator in any match. If it is a Kilkenny match, he will be eagle eyed as far as every foul Kilkenny might commit but very often oblivious when the foul goes the other way. I've seen Kilkenny players being pulled back by the collar, taken out in 3rd man tackles and have hurls thrown at them while Donal, even with the benefit of perfect action replays, remains mystified as to what the free was for.

He was in the studio on the Sunday night this year after the Wexford match. Given that Kilkenny won by more than 20 points, I doubt if anyone could have expected anything other than three Kilkenny players contending for man of the match. However Donal, very apologetically, explained that "unfortunately" it was between three players from Kilkenny.

A little later, there was nothing unfortunate or no need to apologise for only considering three Tipp players after their 16 point win against Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pat 22

randd1 wrote: »
    Any chance you used the moniker Georgiakat on the old Kilkennycats forum? Just curious.

The Georgiakat that helped bring the site crumbling down ??...

Martin567 wrote: »
    Donal O'Grady is incapable of discussing Kilkenny in an unbiased way. Most annoying of all is how he keeps referring to Kilkenny in matches where they aren't even playing. It's usually to blame Kilkenny for bringing some type of offence into the game that another team has just committed. It's a constant indirect sniping and begrudgery that has been very consistent for a long time now.

Listen to him the next time he is co-commentator in any match. If it is a Kilkenny match, he will be eagle eyed as far as every foul Kilkenny might commit but very often oblivious when the foul goes the other way. I've seen Kilkenny players being pulled back by the collar, taken out in 3rd man tackles and have hurls thrown at them while Donal, even with the benefit of perfect action replays, remains mystified as to what the free was for.

He was in the studio on the Sunday night this year after the Wexford match. Given that Kilkenny won by more than 20 points, I doubt if anyone could have expected anything other than three Kilkenny players contending for man of the match. However Donal, very apologetically, explained that "unfortunately" it was between three players from Kilkenny.

A little later, there was nothing unfortunate or no need to apologise for only considering three Tipp players after their 16 point win against Limerick.

At the end of the LF, Larks scored a peach of a pt (took it down on his hurl using his trademark touch). What did DOG say in his co-commentary? Absolutely nothing. Not a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

according to the media experts, Galway were brilliant and Tipp were terrible, so how was there only 1 point in it at the end? :rolleyes:

....and they also said it was probably the greatest hurling semi final ever (with one team playing great and the other team playing terrible) :confused:

:)

Hitchens wrote: »
    according to the media experts, Galway were brilliant and Tipp were terrible, so how was there only 1 point in it at the end? :rolleyes:

....and they also said it was probably the greatest hurling semi final ever (with one team playing great and the other team playing terrible) :confused:

:)

Probably because Galway racked up 26 scores to 19, bullied Tipp in every part of the field, and only for Callanan giving a master class, could have battered Tipp in every sense out the gate. The goals kept Tipp in it which is why there was only a point in it in the end, truth is had Galway had a decent FB Tipp would have been well beaten in every way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

He was full of praise for the Kilkenny minors yesterday at different times and said before the game he thought they'd win. Also called the square ball too.

There's a few here would rival Davy Fitz on the siege mentality scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

randd1 wrote: »
    Probably because Galway racked up 26 scores to 19, bullied Tipp in every part of the field, and only for Callanan giving a master class, could have battered Tipp in every sense out the gate. The goals kept Tipp in it which is why there was only a point in it in the end, truth is had Galway had a decent FB Tipp would have been well beaten in every way.

Galway played their best game in years - Tipp never reflected their capabilities...

that probably explains it...

I don't think a decent full back would have stopped Seamie yesterday...

He got five points from play off JJ and two goals in the replay final last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

Galway played their best game in years - Tipp never reflected their capabilities...

that probably explains it...

I don't think a decent full back would have stopped Seamie yesterday...

He got five points from play off JJ and two goals in the replay final last year

Think you mean since their last game...which was the quarter final against cork!!! ;)

Cork are soft!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Miall108

He was full of praise for the Kilkenny minors yesterday at different times and said before the game he thought they'd win. Also called the square ball too.

There's a few here would rival Davy Fitz on the siege mentality scale.

For once Id agree with you on something. Ive often heard him praise KK just as many times as this supposed sniping is taking place. Ive certainly never taken anything of a vicious nature from any of his comments. That "Unfortunately" comment could have been meant in any context more likely as a response to how poor the Wexford resistance was on the day. From what Ive gathered from him is that he respects KK and has praised us just as much. People are really blowing it out of proportion

For once Id agree with you on something. Ive often heard him praise KK just as many times as this supposed sniping is taking place. Ive certainly never taken anything of a vicious nature from any of his comments. That "Unfortunately" comment could have been meant in any context more likely as a response to how poor the Wexford resistance was on the day. From what Ive gathered from him is that he respects KK and has praised us just as much. People are really blowing it out of proportion
    yeah, he has a bee in his bonnet about us alright .......but what the hell :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭jelutong

Seamus Callanan was lucky not to have been seriously injured. Was Hanbury carded?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Any word on jackies injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

I'd be more interested in Richie's progress as Prendergast is a very capable sub for Jackie.

Any word on jackies injury?

He was on oftheball on Saturday and he said that the recovery time the surgeon gave him was 6 weeks but in order for him to have a chance of making the final he needs to be back in training in 4 weeks,from the time of the operation. While he was remaining positive and seemed hopeful it will be touch and go.

He was on oftheball on Saturday and he said that the recovery time the surgeon gave him was 6 weeks but in order for him to have a chance of making the final he needs to be back in training in 4 weeks,from the time of the operation. While he was remaining positive and seemed hopeful it will be touch and go.

If he's not completely right leave him be .....we made that kind of mistake in 2010 and it arguably cost us the title

• Advertisement

I know the final will have a huge bearing on it but what would your All Star team be at this stage? Here's my stab at it:

Colm Callanan

Paul Murphy Joey Holden Noel Connors

Daithi Burke Paudi Maher Cillian Buckley

David Burke Austin Gleeson

Jason Flynn Richie Hogan Cathal Mannion

John O'Dwyer Seamus Callanan TJ Reid

The forwards division is particularily competitive with honourable mentions going to Maurice Shanahan,Johnny Glynn,Joe Canning,Conor Lehane,Tony Kelly,Ger Alyward, Eoin Larkin and Mark Schutte.

Hitchens wrote: »
    If he's not completely right leave him be .....we made that kind of mistake in 2010 and it arguably cost us the title

Well if they were to take that position on Richie for the semi there is no way he would have played, according to himself the first time he ran in 9 days was out on to the pitch. He could only manage a gentle jog in training on the Friday, each injury is different and has be be managed accordingly.

I know the final will have a huge bearing on it but what would your All Star team be at this stage? Here's my stab at it:

Colm Callanan

Paul Murphy Joey Holden Noel Connors

Daithi Burke Paudi Maher Cillian Buckley

David Burke Austin Gleeson

Jason Flynn Richie Hogan Cathal Mannion

John O'Dwyer Seamus Callanan TJ Reid

The forwards division is particularily competitive with honourable mentions going to Maurice Shanahan,Johnny Glynn,Joe Canning,Conor Lehane,Tony Kelly,Ger Alyward, Eoin Larkin and Mark Schutte.

De Burcha for maher at CB for me, Maher has been ok, no more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Ger Aylward Padraig Walsh and Conor Fogarty could make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thinlizzy51

calinan
    p.murphy joey connors
    de burca Gleeson buckley
    burke fogarty
    lehane richie tj
    glynn shanahan mannion.

love to see jackie t back for the final
    physical game will be right up his alley.love to see flynn try to put it over his head and collect the other side.

calinan
    p.murphy joey connors
    de burca Gleeson buckley
    burke fogarty
    lehane richie tj
    glynn shanahan mannion.

physical game will be right up his alley.love to see flynn try to put it over his head and collect the other side.

Lehane gets in before Seamus Callinan and John O'Dwyer?

• Advertisement

calinan
    p.murphy joey connors
    de burca Gleeson buckley
    burke fogarty
    lehane richie tj
    glynn shanahan mannion.

I'm looking forward to seeing Cody and Cunningham squaring up on the sideline

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

David burke was very good sunday but his being terrible for a long time,fogarty should get one this year after being robbed last year.if joey has a good final he'll definitely get one hogan and tj probably be only fowards ger alward is after having a great year so far but probably won't get one its impossible to predict as a lot will depend on the final

calinan
    p.murphy joey connors
    de burca Gleeson buckley
    burke fogarty
    lehane richie tj
    glynn shanahan mannion.

Hmm, i think someone doesn't like Tipp!

David burke was very good sunday but his being terrible for a long time,fogarty should get one this year after being robbed last year.if joey has a good final he'll definitely get one hogan and tj probably be only fowards ger alward is after having a great year so far but probably won't get one its impossible to predict as a lot will depend on the final

David Burke has been indifferent the last few years but we are talking about this year and his form has been good, particularily the last two days when he was outstanding.

blackcard have to concede callinan should be in there wonderful player.would put him in for mannion.however I would stick to lehane over bubbles. lehane for me has consistenly been good in a very poor cork team.should have had all star last year.

• Advertisement

on the minors.shocking the way a blatant square ball has been brushed under tge carpet.great senior game has probably taken the limelight of a scandolous decision. limerick minors against galway and now us.Galway minors have had more than the rub of the green in croke pk this past 2 years.

Lehane has not scored the type of scores or the amount bubbles had - who was the difference in the munster final...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Lehane has not scored the type of scores or the amount bubbles had - who was the difference in the munster final...

Lehane has no business being there, always bottles it on the big day like all the rest of Corks big names have this year when the pressure has come on. Had stormer against Wexford but where was he against Galway. Patrick Horgan is the other notable culprit that comes to mind

If Alyward keeps his form, surely he has a good chance of all-star?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

pat 22 wrote: »
    The Georgiakat that helped bring the site crumbl
    ing down ??...

It was personalized comments like that that brought the site down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

As a Galway man I've the candles out hoping Jackie Tyrell makes the final. He's been a great servant to Kilkenny but I think these days he's there for the taking to be honest.

Hard game to call. Kilkenny of course go into it having been barely tested but they're pass masters at that so it won't be a worry, their toughest game probably being the Leinster Final which they still won comfortably. Galway didn't play well at all that day and a repeat performance would mean Kilkenny would be comfortable enough in the final. However I think we've somehow managed to find another gear since then and now carry serious momentum into the final. Last Sunday was a stunning performance and although it could have gone either way I think our lads absolutely deserved to carry the day.

The confidence and work-rate of the entire team is a joy to behold at the moment.

I think myself that if we can hold TJ Reid then we've a great chance but that's a massive if as Reid is in the form of his life. Mannian did reasonably well on him in the Leinster final but given the way he was destroyed by Callanan yesterday who is similar enough in terms of style to Reid I think it would be a brave call to give Mannian the job again.

What are Richie Power's chances of featuring do ye feel? He'd be a massive addition.

I think it's going to be a cracking final but I've a sneaky feeling that Liam is finally going to come back home where he belongs for the first time since 1988.

Is it a hard game to call? KK have to be red hot faves for this....

Did you see the amount of goal chances Tipp got...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Is it a hard game to call? KK have to be red hot faves for this....

Did you see the amount of goal chances Tipp got...

If Galway can replicate their intensity and physicality in the final, then I do think it will be a hard game to call.

galway what eveidence have you got to say Jackie is past it.played outstanding in last years final @ replay.yes he was poor enough in the Leinster final (sloppy short passe) other than that game he has been the best corner back in Ireland for the past 8-10 years.tell you something callinan wouldn't have got those goals of Jackie. hes better than anything you have in the full back line.

What are Richie Power's chances of featuring do ye feel?
    sorry, but we can't divulge that kind of sensitive information :P

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement