Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

It hardly matters a damn this year to be honest. Tipp were beaten fair and square, it's a 2 horse race now. We will be definite underdogs and Kilkenny will be looking forward to it as much as we are but if we can bring that intensity and aggression again it might be a close game. For the so called 2nd best team in the country during KKs dominant last 15 years, Tipperary have a fairly poor record in All Irelands. Better than Galway no doubt, but fairly poor all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

That's already been covered, Wally!

What are Galway going to do to stop Ritchie Hogan orchestrating the play. And, prevent Michael Fennelly from dominating midfield and making those dangerous runs through the galway half back line?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

He's probably getting up on her every now and again. But, if she lives is London they're hardly an item. Good man, Ollie! Looking after his brother!

Either way he's relationship is of no relevance to gaa as he should only be judged on field play performance

I don't see why he's relationship is in the media eye
    I thought you would at least understand this considering on the tipp thread you seem to not like the view many criticism tippeary or future management next year despite it been purely on field play

I always find it ironic here some with respect they say some critsim despite field play is unfair yet well able comments on players outside gaa matters

What joe does off the field is he's own business imo

For man who thinks too much you need to consider the clarity of your sentencing!!!!

It was a joke, no serious comment was made on the item nor was it I who introduced it to the thread. - and, I made no reference to Joe's form on the field!!!

I couldn't care less what he does!

Give it over, will ye! Concentrate on trying to make a decent hurling point instead of quoting yourself constantly. You're almost getting annoying at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Either way he's relationship is of no relevance to gaa as he should only be judged on field play performance

I thought you would at least understand this considering on the tipp thread you seem to not like the view many criticism tippeary or future management next year despite it been purely on field play

I always find it ironic here some with respect they say some critsim despite field play is unfair yet well able comments on players outside gaa matters

In fairness if you court the media as much as Joe does and enter a relationship with another high profile media person it's hardly a surprise that some tabloid rag will deem their relationship to be of public interest and publish details about it.

There's no show like a joe show!!! (That's about his form on the field, thinkstoomuch!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

In fairness if you court the media as much as Joe does and enter a relationship with another high profile media person it's hardly a surprise that some tabloid rag will deem their relationship to be of public interest and publish details about it.

Yeah it's not like John Fogarty is writing about it, it's in the style section of the Irish Independent.

I'm saying this an awful lot recently, but genuinely who actually cares.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

The lads like to advertise cars and such which have no connection with the GAA, so if they want that kind of publicity they have to accept the other sort also.

You can't have your cake and eat it! :pac:

For man who thinks too much you need to consider the clarity of your sentencing!!!!

It was a joke, no serious comment was made on the item nor was it I who introduced it to the thread. - and, I made no reference to Joe's form on the field!!!

I couldn't care less what he does!

Give it over, will ye! Concentrate on trying to make a decent hurling point instead of quoting yourself constantly. You're almost getting annoying at this stage!
    You to be fair made a remark about what he may be doing with her
    Fair enough you find it funny
    That's your opinion
    I make plenty decent hurling points but I will take what you said on board no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I'd say Cunningham's going love that piece.

• Advertisement

Statistically, not great for tipp! But, those kk v tipp championship games since 2009 had your pants down around your ankles!

No they did not as let's call it as it is yes kk may been pushed close but as Cusack said many times when kk go toe to toe with teams and always win bar one year the truth is they don't fear them

Kk never ever feared tipp but always knew they had their number and tippeary are the ones that feared kk and were imo some games beaten before a ball was thrown it

Tippeary were very good the last few years but winning Munster is alright to a point unfortunately the harsh reality is tippeary when compared with real success will unfortunately be remembered for having won little in all ireland and despite dominated over others one all ireland is poor return no matter what way you try and paint a picture

It's either black or white imo regarding success

Relax! Go back to criticizing Michael Ryan before Tipp have played a game under him!

I think Cunningham will be sleepless with jealousy. He loves Joe!

Who is going to win the ALL-Ireland, thinkstoomuch?

Relax! Go back to criticizing Michael Ryan before Tipp have played a game under him!

I think Cunningham will be sleepless with jealousy. He loves Joe!

Who is going to win the ALL-Ireland, thinkstoomuch?
    Wrong there in Ryan has been hugely involved in team selection and coaching the last eight years and my point is he's done good and is good man coach but in eight years being internal and intergal part of the set up one just one all ireland is not great be new man in charge in clear tipp need change to evolve but Ryan imo will be too loyalty some team worked with down the years

Who will win the all ireland
    I will make my assessment and prediction on the Thursday before the game as I'll have to see Galway team and between now and the next few weeks a lot can happen
    To judge an all ireland final is the biggest game of the year and imo to have good chance calling the winner it will require astute logic to get it right and to do that you must make prediction that's not rushed

But I do feel Galway have a chance but the team will tell a lot
    Bit like buying a car check the service history and build from there

Stop talking about tipp stuff on a kilkenny thread! We've been over all that elsewhere!

I almost fell asleep reading that! Will KK make changes to the side?

Stop talking about tipp stuff on a kilkenny thread! We've been over all that elsewhere!

I almost fell asleep reading that! Will KK make changes to the side?
    I would think one change possible power for Walsh but cody usually goes on training

In the week leading up to the All Ireland semi-final between Kilkenny and Waterford, much of the discussion was about the involvement of one key man. It wasn't Maurice Shanahan or TJ Reid, instead it was referee Brian Gavin whose involvement in the game was in question.

A one month ban had been handed down to Gavin after he was alleged to have verbally abused a referee during the Offaly junior football championship quarter-final between Clara and Kilclonfert. Gavin appealed the suspension and the ban was quickly overturned, allowing him to take charge of the clash between Kilkenny and Waterford.

It looked like that would be the end of things but, after reports in the Daily Star today, it has now been confirmed that the referee at the centre of the row has resigned as a direct result of the past month's events.

Following the clash, which Kilclonfert won, Pauric Pierce submitted his match report and included the alleged abusive comments directed at him by Gavin. Upon the suspension, he was then asked to provide additional detail about the incident. That was the last Pierce heard about it until he read in the media that the ban had been overturned.

Pierce then requested information as to why his match report was effectively overturned but an explanation has not been forthcoming over the past number of weeks and Pierce has taken the regrettable decision to resign out of frustration.

The lads like to advertise cars and such which have no connection with the GAA, so if they want that kind of publicity they have to accept the other sort also.

You can't have your cake and eat it! :pac:
    In the week leading up to the All Ireland semi-final between Kilkenny and Waterford, much of the discussion was about the involvement of one key man. It wasn't Maurice Shanahan or TJ Reid, instead it was referee Brian Gavin whose involvement in the game was in question.

A one month ban had been handed down to Gavin after he was alleged to have verbally abused a referee during the Offaly junior football championship quarter-final between Clara and Kilclonfert. Gavin appealed the suspension and the ban was quickly overturned, allowing him to take charge of the clash between Kilkenny and Waterford.

It looked like that would be the end of things but, after reports in the Daily Star today, it has now been confirmed that the referee at the centre of the row has resigned as a direct result of the past month's events.

Following the clash, which Kilclonfert won, Pauric Pierce submitted his match report and included the alleged abusive comments directed at him by Gavin. Upon the suspension, he was then asked to provide additional detail about the incident. That was the last Pierce heard about it until he read in the media that the ban had been overturned.

Pierce then requested information as to why his match report was effectively overturned but an explanation has not been forthcoming over the past number of weeks and Pierce has taken the regrettable decision to resign out of frustration.

Not surprising to see that GAA politics is as corrupt as Governmental politics... the big man will always trump the little man!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Having talked to a few Tipp people who were at the game last Sunday I foresee 2 massive differences in the final and the Tipp game that Galway people need to take note of.

1st Tipps midfield was none existent and rudderless. That's from a Tipp man who was at the match not me.
    Will Galway still be able to exert the same influence in that sector with Michael Fennelly and Conor Fogarty on patrol?

2nd Galway were incredibly physical and hit anything that moved last Sunday. Again from a Tipp man. While it's one thing to go out and physically dominate another team that takes it, how will Galway react when they get it back in spades, which the will from 1 to 15. The Galway defence and midfield will be under incredible pressure and as we saw in the Leinster final this leads to uncharacteristic mistakes and an eventual tiredness that seeps into Kilkennys opposition. Can Galway survive when being hit harrassed and harried?

If Galway can deal with the two above situations they will be AI champions no doubt as they have some really good players. I have my doubts that they will as I don't recall the evidence for it this year the only times they were tested physically was against Dublin the first day a game Dublin should have won and against Kilkenny in the Leinster final a game they could have lost by a fair bit more.

I'm not taking anything from Galways performances all year they beat Dublin the second day with a great display and annihilated Cork, they also applied the pressure and the hits that knocked Tipp off their game and I don't think Tipp played bad I think Galway didn't let them play good.
    Galway will be a very very hard challenge for Kilkenny and unless Kilkenny are at the absolute peak of their game they will be beat it's that simple. However if Kilkenny bring their A game as they have in 99% of finals under Cody then Galway will have to somehow dominate us physically and dominate our midfield which I don't see any evidence to support a case to say they are capable of doing that, at least none to date.

1st Tipps midfield was none existent and rudderless.

That was the one thing that stood out for me last Sunday. Normally McGrath & Woodlock score 5-6 pts a game between them. Iirc, they didn't raise a white flag between them. Tipp missed those scores badly on Sunday. It's also an indication how much they were out of the game.

• Advertisement

Lads what clubs in Kilkenny Town have hurling walls?

Dicksboro. The Village have new grounds out the Kells rd but no wall (the alleys in Larchfield might be open). Last time I was in loughlins, they had no wall. They do have a covered alley/court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭thelostboys23

Wrong there in Ryan has been hugely involved in team selection and coaching the last eight years and my point is he's done good and is good man coach but in eight years being internal and intergal part of the set up one just one all ireland is not great be new man in charge in clear tipp need change to evolve but Ryan imo will be too loyalty some team worked with down the years

Who will win the all ireland
    I will make my assessment and prediction on the Thursday before the game as I'll have to see Galway team and between now and the next few weeks a lot can happen
    To judge an all ireland final is the biggest game of the year and imo to have good chance calling the winner it will require astute logic to get it right and to do that you must make prediction that's not rushed

But I do feel Galway have a chance but the team will tell a lot
    Bit like buying a car check the service history and build from there

If it takes such "astute logic" to predict the winner of the all ireland did you use this astute logic when predicting that if KK beat Galway then they will win the five in a row as you did on another thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I see what you did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

Having talked to a few Tipp people who were at the game last Sunday I foresee 2 massive differences in the final and the Tipp game that Galway people need to take note of.

1st Tipps midfield was none existent and rudderless. That's from a Tipp man who was at the match not me.
    Will Galway still be able to exert the same influence in that sector with Michael Fennelly and Conor Fogarty on patrol?

2nd Galway were incredibly physical and hit anything that moved last Sunday. Again from a Tipp man. While it's one thing to go out and physically dominate another team that takes it, how will Galway react when they get it back in spades, which the will from 1 to 15. The Galway defence and midfield will be under incredible pressure and as we saw in the Leinster final this leads to uncharacteristic mistakes and an eventual tiredness that seeps into Kilkennys opposition. Can Galway survive when being hit harrassed and harried?

If Galway can deal with the two above situations they will be AI champions no doubt as they have some really good players. I have my doubts that they will as I don't recall the evidence for it this year the only times they were tested physically was against Dublin the first day a game Dublin should have won and against Kilkenny in the Leinster final a game they could have lost by a fair bit more.

I'm not taking anything from Galways performances all year they beat Dublin the second day with a great display and annihilated Cork, they also applied the pressure and the hits that knocked Tipp off their game and I don't think Tipp played bad I think Galway didn't let them play good.
    Galway will be a very very hard challenge for Kilkenny and unless Kilkenny are at the absolute peak of their game they will be beat it's that simple. However if Kilkenny bring their A game as they have in 99% of finals under Cody then Galway will have to somehow dominate us physically and dominate our midfield which I don't see any evidence to support a case to say they are capable of doing that, at least none to date.

I agree with what you are saying here, Galway were really dishing out the timber, the tactic is like something out of the fifties, pull wild in the air. Lucky Callinan and a few more of the Tipp boys were well able to protect their hand. The ref in the final would want to keep a close rein on that!

One thing with our lads, that won't bother them and they will give plenty back, but I know if had been Tommy or Jackie pulling like that and throwing hurls and spear tackilng O Grady and Loughnane would leading the lynch mob. Yet I haven't heard a word about it all week?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Galway play the nasty game that Cunningham endorses. Don't be surprised at reckless use of the hurl. It's pre-planned.

better for hurling if Galway lose.

• Advertisement

That's a fair point. Woodlock got a right shot in the kidney off the ball - was down a good while.

Throwing the hurley is ridiculous.

That first swipe for Callanan's first goal was dangerous filth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

It wasn't he was intilted to go for the ball. Callinan protected his hand, which he was coached to do.

hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

That's a fair point. Woodlock got a right shot in the kidney off the ball - was down a good while.

Throwing the hurley is ridiculous.

That first swipe for Callanan's first goal was dangerous filth.

he was pulling on the ball!! what did you expect him to do!!!

im not condoning the belt on woodlock but woodlock gave him a 3rd man tackle first!! but again not an excuse to swipe the hurl at him!

donnem33 wrote: »
    he was pulling on the ball!! what did you expect him to do!!!

im not condoning the belt on woodlock but woodlock gave him a 3rd man tackle first!! but again not an excuse to swipe the hurl at him!

The pull was reckless and ultimately self-defeating, just as well Callanan had his hand protected otherwise he wouldn't have much of a hand left. Thankfully the days when a defender could go through a guys hand to get to the ball are gone!!

• Advertisement

The pull was reckless and ultimately self-defeating, just as well Callanan had his hand protected otherwise he wouldn't have much of a hand left. Thankfully the days when a defender could go through a guys hand to get to the ball are gone!!

the ball was there to be won..he was batting it away. if the forward wants to stick the paw up thats his business to protect his hand!!

however, mannion should not have thrown the broken handle at the shot and should have got a yellow card. Just like Paudie Maher should not have thrown his hurl at shane moloney at the finish and should also have received a yellow card

I see what you did there.

Sorry what clubs in Kilkenny town/city have a hurling wall. I genuinely just wanted to clear it up so that people weren't telling me that Ballyragget have a hurling wall or something because I failed to be specific.

Have James Stephens got one? Read an article there saying they've four full sized pitches but nothing about a wall or an alley.

the ball was there to be won..he was batting it away. if the forward wants to stick the paw up thats his business to protect his hand!!

however, mannion should not have thrown the broken handle at the shot and should have got a yellow card. Just like Paudie Maher should not have thrown his hurl at shane moloney at the finish and should also have received a yellow card

That was more than a bat... if i player goes to catch a ball and opposing player goes with his hurl it's his duty to ensure he wins the ball cleanly! You cannot go through a players hand to get to the ball!
    Mannion also threw his hurl on the 3rd goal so by rights should have been sent off.

It was reckless - not a batting action

That was more than a bat... if i player goes to catch a ball and opposing player goes with his hurl it's his duty to ensure he wins the ball cleanly! You cannot go through a players hand to get to the ball!
    Mannion also threw his hurl on the 3rd goal so by rights should have been sent off.

every full back will do it against a bigger man!!! qoute me the rule about a players duty to win the ball cleanly......

look back at joe cannings goal in the leinster final 2012...canning caught the ball, jackie tyrell had a one handed swipe..tyrell was out of position and running back...but if he was behind canning he would have gone through canning hurl and hand...as is his right when trying to contest a ball!!

every full back will do it against a bigger man!!! qoute me the rule about a players duty to win the ball cleanly......

look back at joe cannings goal in the leinster final 2012...canning caught the ball, jackie tyrell had a one handed swipe..tyrell was out of position and running back...but if he was behind canning he would have gone through canning hurl and hand...as is his right when trying to contest a ball!!

5.5 To make “a pull” with the hurley from behind and
    around the body of an opponent that is not consistent
    with an attempt to play the ball.

5.6 To use the hurley in a careless manner

I think those two rules pretty much cover it!

5.5 To make “a pull” with the hurley from behind and
    around the body of an opponent that is not consistent
    with an attempt to play the ball.

5.6 To use the hurley in a careless manner

I think those two rules pretty much cover it!

no they dont!!! the ball was there to be won...he was well in his right to contest for it!!

listen the galway tipp match is over...think its time for you to get over it aswell!! and thirdly this is a kk thread ffs!!

I'll take that as a concession!

no they dont!!! the ball was there to be won...he was well in his right to contest for it!!

listen the galway tipp match is over...think its time for you to get over it aswell!! and thirdly this is a kk thread ffs!!

Firstly, nobody is disputing that he has a right to contest the ball it's the manner in which he does, once again a defender cannot go threw a forwards hand to get to the ball!!

And secondly there is nothing for me to get over i am from Kilkenny and was glad to see Tipperary beaten!

I'll take that as a concession!

no its not!! its a realisation that galway have beaten tipp 3 days ago now. and im just looking forward to the final v kk. And we are discussing non kk stuff on a kk forum!!

• Advertisement

A grand concession! Good man!

Sorry what clubs in Kilkenny town/city have a hurling wall. I genuinely just wanted to clear it up so that people weren't telling me that Ballyragget have a hurling wall or something because I failed to be specific.

Have James Stephens got one? Read an article there saying they've four full sized pitches but nothing about a wall or an alley.

Never been to their new pitches in kells Road but the older club house doesn't I don't think. They do have two fine big handball alleys though which are not exactly the same but you know yourself. Boro have one in palmerstown, dunno about loughlins, sorry.

Never been to their new pitches in kells Road but the older club house doesn't I don't think. They do have two fine big handball alleys though which are not exactly the same but you know yourself. Boro have one in palmerstown, dunno about loughlins, sorry.

Handball alley would be sound, would be just somewhere to go pucking. I'd imagine Dicksboro will likely be a bit out of the way. Thank lads.

Handball alley would be sound, would be just somewhere to go pucking. I'd imagine Dicksboro will likely be a bit out of the way. Thank lads.

Loads of alleys in town then. There's two beside the river between greens and johns bridges. There's one in Kierans college, there's one in the butts housing estate/water barracks. Never let it be said we're not a dual county

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

That alley beside the JS pitch wouldn't be the safest to go on your own

Loads of alleys in town then. There's two beside the river between greens and johns bridges. There's one in Kierans college, there's one in the butts housing estate/water barracks. Never let it be said we're not a dual county

Those alleys beside the river are locked by the corpo a large part of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Junior D wrote: »

They're a lot better now the doors on the road side have been blocked up and you now enter from the pitch side so you have to get into the club. The safest and most accessible Wall is the Boros it a 5 minute walk from the Butts or a 5minute cycle from the town hall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Comerman

Junior D wrote: »
    Don't agree with that, unless there's something to back it up. My son's with the village and all I ever see in there are young kids with hurls & ball, unless maybe you plan going in the dark?? might be different after hours. Clara have a wall too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

Anyone know for sure are stand tickets €80 for the final again this year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

When will tickets go on sale?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement