Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

danganabu wrote: »
    I think its safe to say that ye did :D You clearly didn't read my post properly, just seen negativity about Galway and got your knickers in a twist.

Haha my apologies. I still dont agree with you though!!

unrealtime wrote: »
    Lester is a winter hurler - for the soft ground. It's a pity he can't perform on fast summer ground.

Walter is not good enough for us but he would walk onto that Galway team.

Who's spot would he take?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

I'd say that's not a bad guess at it alright. I think we will need to let Tan sit deep alright because a) He's far better in that role because his strengths are his reading of the play and his striking, not his mobility and b) if we let TJ get 3 goals then we'll be going home without Liam as no matter what happens the other 5 KK forwards wont be as bad as the other 5 Tipp forwards.

However in the Leinster final Daithi Burke did great on Hogan for the while he was on him until Hogan dropped really deep and Burke didn't follow him. So then they may decide to just swap him and Tan but I hate Tan at wing back. Too slow.

I think I'd like to see what you suggested to be honest. That'll give Mannian extra help with Reid too.

And while in that approach it would mean Fogarty is free around the middle I can guarantee he wouldn't hit much soft ball because the work rate of our half forward line is so good and they are well capable of working back the field.

I think it's going to be an absolutely cracking final. A lot will depend on Richie Power too, if he was back and at his best (which in fairness would be a huge ask) then it means ye can drop a bad forward (Walsh) for a top class one in Power which of course would make a massive difference.

Daithi Burke was a great full back at minor level and wouldnt be surprised if he went back full back and followed TJ everywhere - a good hurler and has the physique to challenge TJ.

Would imagine Johnny Coen will follow Colin Fennelly due to his pace and think P Mannion will pick up Hogan. Mannion would be more suited to Hogan rather than big physically strong players.

Would love to see Tan on the bench and Greg Lally starting centre back - hes a much better hurler than Tan who is liable to be either magnificent or brutal, no inbetween with him.

How is Michael Rice getting on? Any chance of seeing him make an appearance? love seeing that man hurl!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

donnem33 wrote: »
    Daithi Burke was a great full back at minor level and wouldnt be surprised if he went back full back and followed TJ everywhere - a good hurler and has the physique to challenge TJ.

Would imagine Johnny Coen will follow Colin Fennelly due to his pace and think P Mannion will pick up Hogan. Mannion would be more suited to Hogan rather than big physically strong players.

Would love to see Tan on the bench and Greg Lally starting centre back - hes a much better hurler than Tan who is liable to be either magnificent or brutal, no inbetween with him.

How is Michael Rice getting on? Any chance of seeing him make an appearance? love seeing that man hurl!

I'm afraid Michael Rice's race is run.. a shame he has so many injuries!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

I'm afraid Michael Rice's race is run.. a shame he has so many injuries!

a pity! is he on the panel? I know he played with the intermediates but cant remember if he was a sub for the leinster final - must dig out the match programme!

Daithi won't play full back. He was class at 3 for the minors but that's 5 years ago now but more to the point the fact he wasn't switched back there the last day tells me they don't plan on using him at full back.

I think what will happen is that either Daithi and Tan will swap and Daithi will man mark Hogan for the day, or else Tan will sit deep and David Burke will screen in front on Hogan and they'll depend on the half forward line to work extremely hard to make up for basically having one midfielder playing at centre back.

a pity! is he on the panel? I know he played with the intermediates but cant remember if he was a sub for the leinster final - must dig out the match programme!

Yeah, he is still part of the extended panel but hasn't featured on the matchday 26 and is unlikely to for the final. I'd imagine this will be his last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Walsh Scored 0-2 from play against Galway in the Leinster final, amazed they're the ones having a go given he was out around the middle that day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

"Slow mullockers" don't play inter county hurling and certainly don't win All-Ireland medals!

One played with Galway when they last won the AI (1988), Noel Lane - He has since graduated, along with Anthony Cunningham, to the Galway management team.

Cork's Kevin Hennesey was another member of that notable brigade. I'm not brave enough to name some of the Kilkenny players who managed to succeed in winning an AI despite their awkwardness handicap.

• Advertisement

Walsh Scored 0-2 from play against Galway in the Leinster final, amazed they're the ones having a go given he was out around the middle that day too.

Walter is a great guy under a dropping ball, but he then needs to look up and pick out a loose man in a better position to score, but yet not to be afraid to have a go himself when he makes a better position for himself to score. He just has to believe in his own ability and just go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

One played with Galway when they last won the AI (1988), was a man by the name of Noel Lane - don't know if you remember him? He has since graduated, along with Anthony Cunningham, to the Galway management team.

Cork's Kevin Hennesey was another member of that notable brigade. I'm not brave enough to name some of the Kilkenny players who managed to succeed in winning an AI despite their awkwardness handicap.

No greater mullocker than Christy H IMO. Can't think of too many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

citykat wrote: »
    No greater mullocker than Christy H IMO. Can't think of too many others.
    John Henderson and paddy pender were fair mullokers but nobody got many scores against them and they had some careers. You don't see many lads like that in today's game but then they would be much fitter with today's training!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Walshs biggest problem is his swing. He's a s good as you can be with it but there's no doubt it makes his shooting more erratic than those with a conventional swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Some disturbing news from a Kilkenny point of view emerged tonight. Eoin Larkin has a suspected broken thumb the he picked up from a rap at their training weekend in Cork. He was seen with a plaster cast on this evening in KK. Hopefully it's just a precaution and he'll be fit to play but if it is in fact broken we've a much bigger task ahead to win the AI than It would have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Hopefully nothing to serious he'd be a big loss.hopefully everyone else came through ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

brookville wrote: »
    Hopefully nothing to serious he'd be a big loss.hopefully everyone else came through ok

Our bench hasn't been as threadbare in 15 years

If its in a cast hopefully only giving it every chance to recover and a fracture probably takes a few weeks time could be against him but I'm sure with the best of treatment and determination eoin will do everything possible to line out and I'd expect he will.id love to know how jackie and power are coming along If we had them they'd be a huge addition,granted our panel is a long way off being the strongest but over the years coady has always trusted his team to do the job and looking at galways bench last sunday it wouldn't frighten you either

According to report's ger alyward picked up a arm injury initial fears were he'd miss the final ned quinn confirmed he picked up a injury but is expected to be okay for final

Well at least we know the intensity was high at training!

I've heard since that Larkins injury is actually a small fracture in the thumb. He's very likely to play in the AI and as has been said above Ger Aylward will be ok too. Jackie Tyrrell is out of the boot but still on crutches occasionally. I'm sure he'll do everything he can to get back but he's likely to need an extra few weeks. Richie Power is playing hurling but again he is unlikely to make the AI at least as a starter anyway, again he will do he's best to make it but it might be a bit early for him.

• Advertisement

Hard to see how jackie will be available if he is using crutches time to time.id be more hopefull for richie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

James Owens is the ref for the final.

me89 wrote: »
    James Owens is the ref for the final.

Wouldn't have an issue with him, one of the more sensible ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

What's the thinking, will Galway set up in the traditional way and if so will we go man to man, or do ye think the sweeper might make an appearance in the final. I hope they just go at it like the drawn game last year, I think Galway realise they have to match Kilkenny for scores and put up close to thirty points if the want to take Liam across the Shannon?

I'd expect galway to man mark kk with tan sitting deep protecting the full back and midfield/half foward both dropping back all working massively .Burke will probably man mark hogan and mannion pick up tj

I'd expect galway to man mark kk with tan sitting deep protecting the full back and midfield/half foward both dropping back all working massively .Burke will probably man mark hogan and mannion pick up tj

I don't think Galway can afford to do this with Tannion as a out and out sweeper. If they do they leave Paul Murphy free again for huge segments of the game to sweep behind the other two lads and pick up all the scraps like the last day, thus launching attack after attack and we will outscore them in that kind of game.

I feel they will probably do like the last day where both C Mannion and Flynn will drop way out of the corners, out to the half forward and midfield area. This will tighten up the contest in the middle third enough for Tannion to mark the space in front of the FB at times but still playing he's CB role most of the day and trust in the FB line to do their job properly on the Kilkenny FF line.

They should assign someone to man mark Richie but if they take Burke out of midfield to do this they need to put Tannion in midfield otherwise we'd crush them with the extra man there. In fact if I was A. Cunningham that is exactly what I'd do. D Burke man to man with Richie all day and Tannion to midfield where I actually think he's more suited because he definitely isn't a CB.

Whatever Galway do we know that we will do, what we always do. Houlden will be on the edge of the square on the FF, Murphy will allow his man to go if he goes much beyond the 45, and Pendergast will follow his man wherever he takes him. The half backs will play as normal as will midfield with Larkin dropping deep to help between midfield and half forwards. Half forwards will play as usual and the two in full forward will try exploit the space.

If Galway want to clog up the midfield then Larkin and the half forwards will help out, dropping deep as needed with the half backs waiting for any ball won by Galway and standing them up straight away allowing the KK chasers to get in on them too.

When i read some of the stuff in the media i begin to worry about our chances. Then i sit back and think about it coldly and I'm not trying to dismiss Galway but if we play the way we can we should have enough for them. However we've all seen enough from them over the years to know any Galway could turn up. It's most likely however that the Galway we will see will be a slightly improved version of the semi final performance and that will take Kilkenny operating at 100% to win if we're at 99.5% we'll loose.

I don't think Galway can afford to do this with Tannion as a out and out sweeper. If they do they leave Paul Murphy free again for huge segments of the game to sweep behind the other two lads and pick up all the scraps like the last day, thus launching attack after attack and we will outscore them in that kind of game.

I feel they will probably do like the last day where both C Mannion and Flynn will drop way out of the corners, out to the half forward and midfield area. This will tighten up the contest in the middle third enough for Tannion to mark the space in front of the FB at times but still playing he's CB role most of the day and trust in the FB line to do their job properly on the Kilkenny FF line.

They should assign someone to man mark Richie but if they take Burke out of midfield to do this they need to put Tannion in midfield otherwise we'd crush them with the extra man there. In fact if I was A. Cunningham that is exactly what I'd do. D Burke man to man with Richie all day and Tannion to midfield where I actually think he's more suited because he definitely isn't a CB.

Whatever Galway do we know that we will do, what we always do. Houlden will be on the edge of the square on the FF, Murphy will allow his man to go if he goes much beyond the 45, and Pendergast will follow his man wherever he takes him. The half backs will play as normal as will midfield with Larkin dropping deep to help between midfield and half forwards. Half forwards will play as usual and the two in full forward will try exploit the space.

If Galway want to clog up the midfield then Larkin and the half forwards will help out, dropping deep as needed with the half backs waiting for any ball won by Galway and standing them up straight away allowing the KK chasers to get in on them too.

When i read some of the stuff in the media i begin to worry about our chances. Then i sit back and think about it coldly and I'm not trying to dismiss Galway but if we play the way we can we should have enough for them. However we've all seen enough from them over the years to know any Galway could turn up. It's most likely however that the Galway we will see will be a slightly improved version of the semi final performance and that will take Kilkenny operating at 100% to win if we're at 99.5% we'll loose.

Which Burke are you talking about? You appear to be talking about David.I think the previous poster is talking about Daithi.:confused:

Brain coady confirms eoin larkin will be available for the all ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Brain coady confirms eoin larkin will be available for the all ireland

Any word on Richie Power?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

blackcard wrote: »
    Any word on Richie Power?

Indeed, Cody also holds out some hope that Richie Power will be back to play any part in the final:

“Richie Power is pretty good at the moment, to be honest about it.
    “He’s training, and he’s worked very, very hard all year, he hasn’t got any game time at all this year because he couldn’t, he just wasn’t ready for it.

“His ability to partake in training has picked up since the semi-final.

He’s had a tough year, no doubt about that, could have come into the reckoning? He could, he could, yeah.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/brian-cody-confident-eoin-larkin-will-be-fit-for-final-1.2328492

I've heard from reliable sources richie should be part of the match day squad barring a set back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Be fantastic to have R Power available but surely it's unlikely that he'll start?
    Anyone else really worried about Prendergast? Anyone else in contention for corner back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Charlie69 wrote: »
    Be fantastic to have R Power available but surely it's unlikely that he'll start?
    Anyone else really worried about Prendergast? Anyone else in contention for corner back?

Probably won't start I'd have thought, but we know the difference he made last year coming in, he'd be a huge addition, a major headache for Cunningham because he'd be yet another one who you can't take your eye off along with Hogan and TJ. I know he might be rusty but he couldn't be ignored. Big advantage to KK if he's available.

Not too worried about Prendergast because I've got full faith in the remainder of the full back line at this point. He's probably still a player a lot of us (certainly me anyway) wouldn't be hugely familiar with, and while what I've seen hasn't been spectacular by any means, the square hasn't looked terribly porous while he's been there either.

Anyone else in contention for corner back?

Cody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Thanks to the Waterford Gaa:
    Just a reminder for those interested the Tony Forristal and Sonny Walsh U 14 Tournaments take place in the city next Saturday - it is played across five venues this year Erin's Own, St. Saviours, Mount Sion, De La Salle and Walsh Park,.

Fixtures are as follows

TONY FORRISTAL TROPHY
    Venue: Mount Sion
    Group A - Clare, Antrim, Dublin Group B - Limerick, Waterford, Galway
    Time
    10.00 Clare V Antrim
    10.50 Limerick V Waterford
    11.40 Clare V Dublin
    12.30 Limerick V Galway
    13.20 Antrim V Dublin
    14.10 Waterford V Galway
    15.50 Div 1 Semi Final Winners Group A V Winners Group B
    Venue: St Saviours
    Group C - Cork, Tipperary, Offaly Group D - Laois, Kilkenny, Wexford
    Time
    10.00 Cork V Tipperary
    10.50 Laois V Kilkenny
    11.40 Offaly V Cork
    12.30 Laois V Wexford
    13.20 Tipperary V Offaly
    14.10 Kilkenny V Wexford
    15.50 Div 1 Semi Final Winners Group C V Winners Group D
    SONNY WALSH TROPHY
    Venue: De La Salle, Gracedieu
    Group A - Waterford, Limerick, Kerry, Cork
    Time
    10.00 Waterford V Limerick
    10.50 Kerry V Cork
    12.20 Waterford V Kerry
    13.10 Limerick V Cork
    14.40 Waterford V Cork
    15.40 Limerick V Kerry
    Top Team straight to the final

Venue: Erins Own, Poleberry Division 2
    Group B - Kilkenny, Dublin, Clare
    Time Score
    10.00 Kilkenny V Dublin
    11.40 Clare V Dublin
    13.20 Kilkenny V Clare

15.40 Division 2 Semi final Winners Group B V Winners Group C

Venue: Walsh Park Division 2
    Group C - Wexford, Tipperary, Galway
    Time Score
    10.00 Wexford V Tipperary
    11.40 Galway V Tipperary
    13.20 Wexford V Galway
    17.40 Division 2 Final
    18.45 Division 1 Final

I would indeed be concerned about Prendergast, despite the fact we had an extra man in that area in the semi, Dunford still managed to get 4 points off him.
    Other options, if the semi matchday 26 is anything to go by Donnacha Cody is the back up plan, not something i would be in favour of either. My personal preference would be Brian Kennedy, but he seems to have fallen well down the pecking order.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rochelle

citykat wrote: »
    Cody?

:eek:

Jaysus...better off just starting with 14 men.

Which Burke are you talking about? You appear to be talking about David.I think the previous poster is talking about Daithi.:confused:

Yep well i was definitely tallking about David Burke

• Advertisement

Dunford was on buckley,Shane was on bennet he got a point off him before being replaced by patrick curran who didn't score . Shane is steady without being spectacular if his selected he'll probably pick up conor whelan.

Dunford was on buckley,Shane was on bennet he got a point off him before being replaced by patrick curran who didn't score . Shane is steady without being spectacular if his selected he'll probably pick up conor whelan.

Most of the second half that i remember Dunford was being picked up by Padraig Walsh. Can't remember the first half and who he was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MassDeb8r

By any chance would someone know the evenings/times that Kilkenny are training this week or next week ?

Many thanks

MassDeb8r wrote: »
    By any chance would someone know the evenings/times that Kilkenny are training this week or next week ?

Many thanks

Normally Wednesday and Friday about 6 or half 6 to about half 7. The county board will announce it early next week.

Training next wednesday and friday will be open to the public that's it

Most of the second half that i remember Dunford was being picked up by Padraig Walsh. Can't remember the first half and who he was on.

I was behind the Davin goal, so in the first half Dunford was the closest forward to Shanahan, while Paul Murphy seem to be under instruction to operate as the spare man, it would have been up to Prendergast to pick up Dunford.
    As for the match ups in the second half, i would defer to someone closer to the action. I guess that is one of the draw backs of playing zonal defense against a forward line with a more fluid structure, can lead to confusion as to who is picking who.

• Advertisement

Looking at the second half again, Murphy was closest to Dunford for pt #1; Buckley was on him for 2 + 3; Walsh for # 4. Pender was on Bennett on the edge of the square throughout. He actually saw very little of the ball in that half.

From my vantage point, Prendergast did his job very well. He was taking his instructions from Paul Murphy, who at times was pointing to him to stay over on the left back position, even though Waterford had nobody over at that side. If Brian has confidence in him, that's enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Probably won't start I'd have thought, but we know the difference he made last year coming in, he'd be a huge addition, a major headache for Cunningham because he'd be yet another one who you can't take your eye off along with Hogan and TJ. I know he might be rusty but he couldn't be ignored. Big advantage to KK if he's available.

Not too worried about Prendergast because I've got full faith in the remainder of the full back line at this point. He's probably still a player a lot of us (certainly me anyway) wouldn't be hugely familiar with, and while what I've seen hasn't been spectacular by any means, the square hasn't looked terribly porous while he's been there either.
    That's true but he's only been there for one full game in which we had the luxury of a free man in Paul Murphy in the full back line, he also looked very slow to turn when Bennett easily lost him before slotting his point.

Always thought he was very steady for Clara over the years but never saw him as county standard, but as someone posted earlier if Cody's happy with him that's all we need to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

That's true but he's only been there for one full game in which we had the luxury of a free man in Paul Murphy in the full back line, he also looked very slow to turn when Bennett easily lost him before slotting his point.

Always thought he was very steady for Clara over the years but never saw him as county standard, but as someone posted earlier if Cody's happy with him that's all we need to know.

Being honest I've only seen him play for his club a couple of times, and he really didn't stand out especially to me at the time as someone not really familiar with club players in Kilkenny anymore (I wasn't looking out for him either, to be fair), so you might be right, but yeah, Cody saw something in him and that's good enough for me. The problem I have is that even when Tyrell was fit and ready to go, he hasn't looked good this year, so there just aren't really options. People mentioning Cody kind of says it all really. Our main problem won't be Prendergast, it'll be if Prendergast has to come off. At which point my preference would be to bring in someone like Lester Ryan and drop one of the wing backs into the corner.

While I agree Jackie wasn't the best against Galway and the Boro the week after. I'd be very confident that there was no one criticizing his performance more than himself. If he's back and to be honest I can't see him starting and he might struggle to get on the bench given how little hurling he has done. However as Cody said in the paper he has kept himself fit in the gym and would have a very high core-fitness anyway, so at this stage it's about his movement and he's touch.

He was very good against Wexford but that wouldn't be hard. He actually won almost all the ball that came his way in the Leinster final, he just made terrible decisions when he had won it. Normally his distribution or clearing his lines is a strong point of his game but it didn't work out for him that day. I know he had a virus the week of the Galway game and it took him a few weeks to shake it off. This may have had some small contribution to his poor performance that day although he probably wouldn't accept that. In fact his man was taken off after 20 mins in the first half Jackie was so dominant. Either way it's unlikely he'll play but if by some miracle he did I wouldn't be concerned, his experience is huge and would be a massive bonus to the defence if he was ready.

Shane Pender has actually played in every game of the championship, admittedly he came on in two of the games with them pretty much in the bag. He had virtually nothing to do against Wexford but did the bit he had to do efficiently. He had about twenty mins against Galway and I don't remember anyone skinning him, I remember him winning a few good balls. Against Waterford I'm fairly sure he was a assigned to man mark Bennett because he followed him everywhere and he only got that one point off him from a very tight angle. I don't think Pender is going to produce the kind of thundering performance you might get from Jackie but he'll do a lot of the same work but in a quieter way but not much less efficient. I'd say he will follow Flynn all day no matter where he goes and he will probably get a few scores off him but as long as he doesn't get anymore than two points he'll have had a good first AI final.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement