Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Congratulations to Kilkenny, an amazing display of determination, grit, intelligent play, and composure under pressure. Kilkenny's greatest achievement, Cody's in particular, is that ability to turn up as hungry as ever day in, day out. An exceptional achievement

MOT for me, is Mick Fennelly. He was a colossus in that second half, refused to be beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mary Earnest

So how many Kilkenny All-Stars this year: 2? As high as 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

For me, the MoM choices on The Sunday Game should be TJ, Kieran Joyce and Conor Whelan, though they will plump for the obvious choice of Joe (did anyone else think Joe didn't offer all that much apart from frees???) and out of those three TJ should get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Very Bored wrote: »
    For me, the MoM choices on The Sunday Game should be TJ, Kieran Joyce and Conor Whelan, though they will plump for the obvious choice of Joe (did anyone else think Joe didn't offer all that much apart from frees???) and out of those three TJ should get it.

For work-rate alone , I would give it to TJ - He was involved in a lot of the donkey-work through-out

Joe Canning got three great points from play in the first half. Reached nowhere near the same heights in the second half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

The same Joe who didn't bother coming out for the second half? Surely he won't get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

MOT for me, is Mick Fennelly. He was a colossus in that second half, refused to be beaten.
    Said it before and I'll say it again, most effective player in the country in the role he performs. Forwards and backs can cancel each other out, but the guy is the equivalent of two men in and around the middle of the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

K4t wrote: »
    Said it before and I'll say it again, most effective player in the country in the role he performs. Forwards and backs can cancel each other out, but the guy is the equivalent of two men in and around the middle of the park.

When he is on song he absolutely dominates the middle third of the field. Great hurler and athlete. Himself, Buckley and Joyce, strangled Galway in the second half.

TJs performance today cemented himself as hurler of the year, but M Fennelly I thought was the best player on field.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Cornerstonelad

Michael Fennelly to-day and in the semi final made all the the difference. Some man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

Michael Fennelly to-day and in the semi final made all the the difference. Some man.

he had a serious game..esp in the 2nd half. think himself and david burke are guaranteed midfield all stars.

congrats to kk,obviously disappointed, but ye were the better team on the day. enjoy the celebrations

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

We were far too good for Galway who scored 3 points in the second half! Still we only beat Galway twice this year so Coen and co should get way more All Stars than we do.

Hopefully one of the best outcomes will be the end of Cunningham and his nasty corrosive influence on the game.

I wouldn't give it to Fennelly for the simple fact that I thought the Kilkenny midfield was non-existent in the first half and one of the main reasons Galway were dominating at that stage. I thought TJ's work around the field was phenomenal, even when we were struggling, whereas, until half time, I thought Fennelly left a lot to be desired. He was a big factor in the second half though.

unrealtime wrote: »
    Hopefully one of the best outcomes will be the end of Cunningham and his nasty corrosive influence on the game.

That's a silly comment. I think Cunningham needs to learn big time, both from the semi final and from today and lose a bit of the stubborn streak he seems to have. He should have switched full back in the semi and the continual blood substitutions in the second half today disturbed Galway's rhythm. But to say he hasn't brought hurling on in Galway is naive to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

We were far too good for Galway who scored 3 points in the second half! Still we only beat Galway twice this year so Coen and co should get way more All Stars than we do.

that ll only happen in 2017 if 2016 is disastrous for Galway. To be fair to him he has introduced a lot of new young players and did well to reach the final. At half time we were in a great position but KK out hurled us in the 2nd half - no shame in that. too many of our players didnt perform today, but the fact is kk were the better team and managed to get their scores easier than we did. experience of the occasion will stand to our younger players going forward.

Personally, I thought Fennelly helped stem the tide in the first half - helped out the backline big time. As an objective viewer Fennelly was head and shoulders above any other player including Reid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

So how many Kilkenny All-Stars this year: 2? As high as 4?

Mother of god man!!!! Ye just won an all Ireland and you're still complaining about all star selections from last year? They'll get 7, if it helps you sleep tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mary Earnest

It's mockery at the system, Mountainlad, not complaining. Complaining implies something might change, mockery means it won't. And it's not just 2014, if you care to check 2009, the team that had just won 4 in a row and also 2012.

Ah will ye come on, ye have All-stars out the wazzzzoooooooooo!!!

• Advertisement

Older lads than me have told me in the past that it was the All Stars that killed the interprovincial championships, but I've never understood why to be honest. Can anyone explain?

Getting picked for the All-Stars became a lot more illustrious than getting picked for the provincial sides??? Only thing that makes sense to me?!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thinlizzy51

agree mom mick fennelly for me

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thinlizzy51

since 2009 we have lost pj ryan mick kavanagh noel ryall tommy brian jj (never lost a game playing together) cha lyng gorta eddie henry taggy herity and still we roll on.unbelievable really and might have been 5 in a row today except for barry kelly (one man we cant beat) privilege to watch brian codys team .up the cats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Not too interested in who is motm, all our players contributed, all our starting forwards scored from play, as well as Michael Fennelly and Padraig Walsh, everyone put their bodies on the line. Galway outmuscled us in the first half but our lads stuck at it. Credit to Brian Cody for getting our lads up for it, our fans seemed to be outnumbered 5 to 1 and yet our hunger matched Galway's. Proud of the team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

After all the victories down through the years I have never gone into the Tipp or Cork or Galway threads gloating but I have the say one of the sweetest things about today's victory was we were spared the sight of Andy Smith lifting the cup.
    Up to his usual ****e today, roaring in faces, standing in front of free takers, kicking out at players, starting scuffles, late hits etc. until Mick Fennelly decided enough was enough and put manners on him. Smith was hauled off shortly after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

It's mockery at the system, Mountainlad, not complaining. Complaining implies something might change, mockery means it won't. And it's not just 2014, if you care to check 2009, the team that had just won 4 in a row and also 2012.

On tonight of all nights, give it a rest! Chillax and enjoy the win :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Kilkenny today = superb
    Kilkenny last few years = best team Ive seen.

Congrats on today. Fully deserved. Don't take success for granted though, very few Kilkenny fans left in the stadium for their lap of honour. I am wondering if you're becoming somewhat bored of success??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

, very few Kilkenny fans left in the stadium for their lap of honour. I am wondering if you're becoming somewhat bored of success??

Saving it for the homecoming tomorrow night...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

citykat wrote: »
    Saving it for the homecoming tomorrow night...

I hope that's the case - I really do!

I hope that's the case - I really do!

I can assure you it is don't you worry.

• Advertisement

Paul Murphy, Joey Holden, Cillian Buckley, Mick Fennelly, Richie Hogan, TJ Reid and Ger Aylward on The Sunday Game team of the year.

TJ Reid gets Player of the Year from The Sunday Game as unanimously voted by Dónal Óg Cusack, Henry Shefflin, Liam Sheedy, Michael Duignan, Anthony Daly, Ger Loughnane, and Cyrill Farrell.

TJ unanimous hurler of the year.

Paul Murphy, Joey Holden, Cillian Buckley, Mick Fennelly, Richie Hogan, TJ Reid and Ger Aylward on The Sunday Game team of the year.

Surprised at Mick Fennellly two games all year. Padraig Walsh was unlucky.

Getting picked for the All-Stars became a lot more illustrious than getting picked for the provincial sides??? Only thing that makes sense to me?!

Yeah, but I don't see how being an All Star led to not wanting to be involved in the interprovincials.

citykat wrote: »
    Surprised at Mick Fennellly two games all year. Padraig Walsh was unlucky.

3. He played against Wexford, Waterford and then Galway today.

He's a colossal player, so influential and dominant when he's on the pitch.

Michael Fennelly MoM on a 4 - 3 vote.

Michael Fennelly MoM on a 4 - 3 vote.

Such a brilliant player.
    MOTM today and what, maybe at 70% of his potential fitness?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sunsetkid1

here in the us can any one post the game on you tube paid for the game on ggago did work missed the whole game had to listen to it

sunsetkid1 wrote: »
    here in the us can any one post the game on you tube paid for the game on ggago did work missed the whole game had to listen to it

I think its archived if you paid for GAA Go so you shouldn't have any problems watching it.

• Advertisement

What happened between Mick Fennelly and Andrew Smith? I heard from others that Fennelly decided enough was enough from Smith, who had been acting the maggot through the first half, and, lets say, dealt with the situation. I must have missed it though because I saw nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Wx

Remember all the agonising as to who would replace JJ!

Who will replace Eoin Larkin and his varied role when he eventually call it a day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭justbored

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Why do you say that?
    ...Don't take success for granted though, very few Kilkenny fans left in the stadium for their lap of honour. I am wondering if you're becoming somewhat bored of success??

RTE estimated that Galway supporters outnumbered Kilkenny supporters 3-1. I'm assuming that very few of the Galway or Tipp supporters stayed on, so that would have left 25% at most to stay on. I'm not saying they all stayed on, but a quarter full Croke Park looks empty when they're spread out around the ground.

justbored wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Jaysus will you stop with the victim complex, learn how to win man, jaysus knows ye have had enough practice!
    might have been 5 in a row today except for barry kelly (one man we cant beat) privilege to watch brian codys team .up the cats

The old Barry Kelly bashing is getting a bit old now, not sure anyone even believes it anymore, if you or anyone genuinely believes that Barry Kelly cost KK the AI in 2013, then you're one of the very few KK people that know **** all about hurling!
    After all the victories down through the years I have never gone into the Tipp or Cork or Galway threads gloating but I have the say one of the sweetest things about today's victory was we were spared the sight of Andy Smith lifting the cup.
    Up to his usual ****e today, roaring in faces, standing in front of free takers, kicking out at players, starting scuffles, late hits etc. until Mick Fennelly decided enough was enough and put manners on him. Smith was hauled off shortly after

Smith is a despicable character and I actually found myself shouting for KK yesterday with all his carry on, they were all at it but he was definitly the ring leader, as he has been all throughout his career.

might have been 5 in a row today except for barry kelly (one man we cant beat)

Seriously?

We were awful in 2013.

What a stupid, stupid post.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Wx wrote: »
    Remember all the agonising as to who would replace JJ!

Who will replace Eoin Larkin and his varied role when he eventually call it a day?
    Indeed. I thought it was Larkin's best day in a long time. I had him down as a big shout for MOTM.

Wx wrote: »

Maybe TJ?
    He played a lot deeper in the second half yesterday. He tackled and won a lot of 'dirty' ball, and managed to set up a few scores as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

What happened between Mick Fennelly and Andrew Smith? I heard from others that Fennelly decided enough was enough from Smith, who had been acting the maggot through the first half, and, lets say, dealt with the situation. I must have missed it though because I saw nothing.

Andy Smith's unsporting tactics are a joke at this stage, a constant standing right in front of the free-taker, mouthing off, and not going back the regulation distance.

At one stage in the second half, as TJ was taking a free, Smith stood/passed in front of him, and as usual, this is ignored by the referee. As TJ was about to take the free, Smith did not move away and Fennelly stepped in and pushed him away and as Smith tried to push back, Fennelly ( a far bigger man) showed him who was boss and gave him a good heft. Meanwhile, the ref stood by, and only reacted when he saw Mick pushing Smith away and he then issued 2 yellow cards (I think) to both. The incident is clearly shown on the re-play of the match.

Smith had a nightmare of a game, and midfield was physically dominated by Fennelly and Fogarty when they got on top in the second half.

Smith has got away with this conduct for years, intimidating and messing with opponents to get a reaction, and is let away with it by the referees. He was captain yesterday, which did not set a good example for his colleagues, and in fact, only got Kilkenny's dander up to not be beaten by these kind of tactics.

Were he and others carrying out Cunningham's instructions, and a few incidents in the match (clothes line tackles by Galway) should have been punished by a red card (one in particular).

When I saw a re-run of the match (on TG4) at 7.30, I only realised then what a match Mick Fennelly had had, and I knew he was going to get the Man-of-the-match award - what a performance, he was everywhere, hooking, blocking and charging forward. His second-half performance took the game to Galway, and the other team-members reacted to his example and upped their game.

To be honest, it was the complete team performance, everyone playing for the team, and not shying away from any tackle and giving pursuit if the ball was lost - Colin Fennelly exemplified that attitude in the second half, despite being unlucky for a goal or two. Walter had his best game in the Kilkenny jersey, taking his two points well and hassling and passing on the ball.

Thanks Brian, and the team for that wonderful performance, we are proud of all the panel, and looking forward to next year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement