Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Larkin has 4 or 5 more years to go - on his displays this year. He is off on UN duty now and will come back fit as a fiddle - like in 2008.

And we possibly have a chance to see Richie Power make it back next yearif he is minded - though I think Jackie is about to retire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

I usually have a look at this page in early September.
    In the last 10 years, it's been completely transformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Ah I did notice the two yellow cards all right and knew it was for a bit of shenanigans but I didn't realise it was Fennelly putting him in his box. I've downloaded the match from YouTube so I'm going to have another look tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

josip wrote: »
    I usually have a look at this page in early September.
    In the last 10 years, it's been completely transformed.

Cheers for posting that link. I hadn't seen it before on Wiki.
    It does need some additional updating though for 2015 (only KK players who have a high medal count have had 2015 added to their tally so far).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Who will replace Larkin. We asked the same question about JJ, Tommy, Lyng, Cha, Gorta, Mick Kavanagh, Brian Hogan, and for yesterday Ritchie Power and Jackie Tyrrell. The foremost question though was who would replace Henry. That we do replace them and still win is down to the genius of Brian Cody. Who will replace him is the real question.
    Great display from Kilkenny yesterday in the second half and we have to give credit to Joey Holden, Shane Pendergast and Ger Alyward.
    The first two were tenacious and apart from isolated instances were well on top of their direct opponents. They are also the pair Galway ntended to target which makes their contributions all the better. Ger Alyward too has to come in for special praise this being his first All Ireland. His three points were class. If for no other reason than putting manners on Smyth Mick Fennelly would have deserved man of the match. When he engaged in the shoving match with Smyth you could see the sheer strength the man possess's. It was man versus boy and must have been embarrassing for Smyth who fancies himself as a tough man to be so easily pushed away

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hide behind the post

Andy Smith's unsporting tactics are a joke at this stage, a constant standing right in front of the free-taker, mouthing off, and not going back the regulation distance.

At one stage in the second half, as TJ was taking a free, Smith stood/passed in front of him, and as usual, this is ignored by the referee. As TJ was about to take the free, Smith did not move away and Fennelly stepped in and pushed him away and as Smith tried to push back, Fennelly ( a far bigger man) showed him who was boss and gave him a good heft. Meanwhile, the ref stood by, and only reacted when he saw Mick pushing Smith away and he then issued 2 yellow cards (I think) to both. The incident is clearly shown on the re-play of the match.

Smith had a nightmare of a game, and midfield was physically dominated by Fennelly and Fogarty when they got on top in the second half.

Smith has got away with this conduct for years, intimidating and messing with opponents to get a reaction, and is let away with it by the referees. He was captain yesterday, which did not set a good example for his colleagues, and in fact, only got Kilkenny's dander up to not be beaten by these kind of tactics.

Were he and others carrying out Cunningham's instructions, and a few incidents in the match (clothes line tackles by Galway) should have been punished by a red card (one in particular).

When I saw a re-run of the match (on TG4) at 7.30, I only realised then what a match Mick Fennelly had had, and I knew he was going to get the Man-of-the-match award - what a performance, he was everywhere, hooking, blocking and charging forward. His second-half performance took the game to Galway, and the other team-members reacted to his example and upped their game.

To be honest, it was the complete team performance, everyone playing for the team, and not shying away from any tackle and giving pursuit if the ball was lost - Colin Fennelly exemplified that attitude in the second half, despite being unlucky for a goal or two. Walter had his best game in the Kilkenny jersey, taking his two points well and hassling and passing on the ball.

Thanks Brian, and the team for that wonderful performance, we are proud of all the panel, and looking forward to next year.

You are bang on .... 41 mins in ..... Smith stood in front and was promptly shoved 10 yards back by Mick (he's solid:) !!!!) ...Smith seemed to pick up a slight cut on his ear which likely caused the card to be issued!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

What happened joe before half time I couldn't see where he got a belt on Sky but it looked like he was holding his jaw? He never hardly touched the ball from play after that and had no fight in him at all! Very strange performance that he didn't come and show for any ball. Poor fare to watch in the second half, we scrapped out the win and had the guile in the tight corners, the Powers were a master stroke at just the right time, Colin has some engine on him and Walter worked his socks off. Larkin was brilliant but Tj was the difference, a real Henry performance throughout and I thought he was just ahead of Larkin and Mick Fennelly. Conor Fogarty also a big factor in those vital middle of the second half. Brave show from Richie Hogan who was only about 70 percent but still got crucial points!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

What happened joe before half time I couldn't see where he got a belt on Sky but it looked like he was holding his jaw? QUOTE]

He ran into Mick Fennelly.:pac:

Seriously, that's what happened.

Galway had a shot and as they ran back out the two of them ran into each other.

lucky it was daylight when he ran into Fennelly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

unrealtime wrote: »
    lucky it was daylight when he ran into Fennelly

Jesus it looked like he got hit by a combine, it knocked the fight out of him anyway! He looked groggy after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thinlizzy51

firstly dastardly I said might of won.2nd injuries and referees dogged us in 13 (Waterford game@ cork game) also our second half performance against cork where we drew the 2nd half with 14 men was everything this team is about.and besides henrys sending off the pull across Larkin for the penalty by o neill went unpunished just like coen on sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Fair play to Kilkenny, yet another all Ireland win and a thoroughly deserved one too. Awesome team. We had ye in a spot of serious bother at half time, but within 10 minutes of the second half starting ye had complete control again.

Difficult to say where it all went wrong really, it seemed like in the second half ye had a lot more men around ye're half backline area and ye just totally crowded our forwards out of it and we just couldn't win a ball. Then up the other side ye're forwards seemed to have plenty of space to work with and most of the time they were 1 on 1 with one of our backs when the ball was delivered, was hard to see where our extra men were when ye had the couple of players dropped back on puckouts etc. we were going great when the game was open and loose but when it got congested and physical ye dominated it. Aswell as that ye're forwards were ruthlessly efficient in the second half, they barely missed a chance where as we had 3 or 4 brutal wides in the second half.

Don't think there's any need for the unsavoury comments on here about some of our players though, especially in regards Smyth. He's a serious warrior and whenever there's a row out on the pitch you can be certain he's stuck in the middle of it but he's not a dirty player. He didn't hurl well at all yesterday though in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Very Bored wrote: »
    Michael Fennelly MoM on a 4 - 3 vote.

As a matter of interest, who got the other 3 votes? I picked TJ myself but I wouldn't deny it to Michael either!

I don't think they said, they just said it was on a vote of 4-3 though TJ was the only other Kilkenny candidate (with Daithi Burke from Galway if I remember correctly) so I would presume him. I think Kieran Joyce had a brilliant game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

Wx wrote: »
    Remember all the agonising as to who would replace JJ!

Who will replace Eoin Larkin and his varied role when he eventually call it a day?

It is only when you re-look at the match, you can see the effort Larkin puts in and uses the ball so intelligently, ably assisted by Fogarty. Joyce also put in a steady performance and has being doing so all season.

I cannot figure why the panel on the Sunday game ignored those three in particular when judging performances over the season. These three have been consistently performing well in all their games.

If other players on other teams do half as much and show for the odd flashy point, they appear to be automatically selected, whereas I suppose it is expected of Kilkenny players.

What does a Kilkenny goalie have to do to get on the team? - or even considered.
    are they judged on a few saves or the amount of goals they concede?

Is there an issue with the Hawkeye system, as if a ball goes directly over the post, it appears incapable of showing this, and the decision is either wide or over. The Dwyer point for Tipperary last year and one or two on Sunday looked directly over the actual post but the Hawkeye system appears to be programmed only to give a decision one way or the other, possibly just before or after the ball tails off at the nearest point to the post as when it is hit way high over the particular post how can Hawkeye confirm this.

What happened joe before half time I couldn't see where he got a belt on Sky but it looked like he was holding his jaw? QUOTE]

Was that not the incident with Holden and Canning wrestling on the ground?
    Canning has a habit of running into people. To me, he always looks lazy, and if Brian Cody had him, he would either drop him or turn him into the great player he now and again shows the potential to be. People usually dwell on his wonderful free-taking and sideline cuts, but does he graft enough?

Still, after saying all that, a man with his talent deserves to win an All-Ireland.

Canning is also shocking wasteful at times in my opinion and often tries unrealistic options. There's a part of me feels he listens to his own hype too much. Very good player, yes. A great one? Well, he has yet to prove that for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Very Bored wrote: »
    Canning is also shocking wasteful at times in my opinion and often tries unrealistic options. There's a part of me feels he listens to his own hype too much. Very good player, yes. A great one? Well, he has yet to prove that for me.

I'd agree with that assessment for this years championship.

But in previous years - no way! He rarely wasted possession in the past. And there was a time (around 08 - 10 period), he simply never missed a free.

I'm not talking about missing frees, I'm talking about shooting from impossible angles when a better option would be to off load. And 08-10 is a long time ago.

• Advertisement

The twice-taken free was reminiscent of the incident in the 2013 match against Cork and in both cases we were the victim.

In the Cork game we scored and the ref called it back for encroachment. On Sunday Canning missed but was allowed to take it again for encroachment.

But if you look at both incidents you'll find that Cork did the worst encroachment in 2013 and ditto Galway on Sunday. The Cork player is nearly on the goal line ffs and the first Galway man gets really close too.

In both case also there is similar encroachments (from Cork and Galway and KK though less) on the replay but results were allowed to stand - why?.

Refs need to get together to consider this. Given that there are multiple encroachments, they could let the first effort stand. Best solution would be to move all non-involved players back to the 40. The current situation is not fair and is not reffed in accordance with the rules.

There is no question but the last Tipp free, which was wrongly awarded anyway, as wide. I was in the stand directly behind the flight of the ball and it was conclusively outside the post. I had no worries about what hawkeye would reveal.

The twice-taken free was reminiscent of the incident in the 2013 match against Cork and in both cases we were the victim.

In the Cork game we scored and the ref called it back for encroachment. On Sunday Canning missed but was allowed to take it again for encroachment.

But if you look at both incidents you'll find that Cork did the worst encroachment in 2013 and ditto Galway on Sunday. The Cork player is nearly on the goal line ffs and the first Galway man gets really close too.

Regarding the KK penalty in the Cork match, what are you on about? :confused:
    There is no way the first penalty from Power could have been allowed. Look at where Tommy was...
    And where is the "Cork player nearly on the goal line".....

361576.PNG

And with regards to the Canning's free, it wasn't re-awarded for encroachment. There was a foul given against TJ Reid when he was trying to clear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

In both case also there is similar encroachments (from Cork and Galway and KK though less) on the replay but results were allowed to stand - why?.

Refs need to get together to consider this. Given that there are multiple encroachments, they could let the first effort stand. Best solution would be to move all non-involved players back to the 40. The current situation is not fair and is not reffed in accordance with the rules.

There is no question but the last Tipp free, which was wrongly awarded anyway, as wide. I was in the stand directly behind the flight of the ball and it was conclusively outside the post. I had no worries about what hawkeye would reveal.

It is annoying enough that you continually have to play the woe is me victim card, but when you starting making stuff up to justify it tis kind of sad!

Can you not just actually enjoy your counties success and appreciate them for the wonderfull team that they are rather than persisting with this tiresome victim playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Don't think there's any need for the unsavoury comments on here about some of our players though, especially in regards Smyth. He's a serious warrior and whenever there's a row out on the pitch you can be certain he's stuck in the middle of it but he's not a dirty player. He didn't hurl well at all yesterday though in fairness.

When there is a row on the pitch you can be sure that most of the time he started it. He is no warrior a warrior denotes upfront bravery not sly and not so sly digs and belts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Was Canning's second free not for a KK player overcarrying when trying to get away from goal? Thought I saw Owens gesture for that, maybe not.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Was Canning's second free not for a KK player overcarrying when trying to get away from goal? Thought I saw Owens gesture for that, maybe not.

Yeah you are correct.
    If you look at the video at 1hr 38min 40sec, TJ has the ball after Canning's shot. TJ gets bottled up by Galway players. The ref blows the whistle and awards the free. The camera zooms in on TJ so we don't get to see what the ref signalled. Ger Canning initially thinks a 65 has been awarded for Galway (as TJ was forced over the end line). Like yourself, I presume the free was awarded for over-carrying.

There is certainly no issue with player encroachment for either free like what unrealtime is adamant about.

Terrible that there was no one in Nowlan Park last night to greet the team. The general view is that we don't celebrate the deeds of our hurlers whether they win or lose.

I say - fook the countless begrudgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Is there an issue with the Hawkeye system, as if a ball goes directly over the post, it appears incapable of showing this, and the decision is either wide or over. The Dwyer point for Tipperary last year and one or two on Sunday looked directly over the actual post but the Hawkeye system appears to be programmed only to give a decision one way or the other, possibly just before or after the ball tails off at the nearest point to the post as when it is hit way high over the particular post how can Hawkeye confirm this.

If the ball goes over the post it's deemed wide and its logical. If the ball goes over the post, it's deemed to have 'hit' the post. In that scenario there's only a 1/3 chance of the ball going over the bar. Therefore on the balance of probability it's deemed wide.

Regarding the KK penalty in the Cork match, what are you on about? :confused:
    There is no way the first penalty from Power could have been allowed. Look at where Tommy was...
    And where is the "Cork player nearly on the goal line".....

361576.PNG

And with regards to the Canning's free, it wasn't re-awarded for encroachment. There was a foul given against TJ Reid when he was trying to clear it.

I was across from that in Hill 16 (and that was the other incident of the hurl around the neck I saw) and TJ was fouled in this manner before the ref. deemed HE had fouled the ball - look at it again.The ref. then allowed the penalty to be re-taken, which to me, was a wrong decision.

However, Kilkenny still had a cushion of four points at the end, whereas a win of seven points or more would have been a true reflection of the complete dominance by Kilkenny of the second half, so no if's or but's, as we kept hearing about, over previous All-Ireland wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,702 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

[QUOTE= TJ was fouled in this manner before the ref. deemed HE had fouled the ball - look at it again.The ref. then allowed the penalty to be re-taken, which to me, was a wrong decision [/QUOTE]
    yes i agree, i had a good view of it from where i was sat, and i couldnt see how the kilkenny player could have committed the foul..
    Only one of a few strange decisions that day (obviously Coen should have walked for assaulting fennelly)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

I was across from that in Hill 16 (and that was the other incident of the hurl around the neck I saw) and TJ was fouled in this manner before the ref. deemed HE had fouled the ball - look at it again.The ref. then allowed the penalty to be re-taken, which to me, was a wrong decision.

However, Kilkenny still had a cushion of four points at the end, whereas a win of seven points or more would have been a true reflection of the complete dominance by Kilkenny of the second half, so no if's or but's, as we kept hearing about, over previous All-Ireland wins.

just to clarify it was not a penalty but a free

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ttowncat

I saw it ,and may have had the blinkers on, but I thought as they crossed paths that joe went to trip fennelly and as fennelly stumbled forward he made sure to leave a hurl or arm back. Both did it subtle enough as Owens was the nearest person running behind the two of them! I jumped thinking that joe would be getting a yellow or red but Owens just gestured to the two of them to get up and get on with it.

Did anyone else see it? It's not on TV. I was way up on davin.

Also it was great the way that fennelly took no sugar from smith! There was a meeting of the two at the throw in as well as a time in second half down near padraig walshes sideline that you can see at the edge of the camara where smith starting some pull down dragging sh*t and fennelly obligingly leaving the whole weight of his studs and body down on smith!

I also think it absolutely crazy booking fennelly for removing smith from in front of TJ's 65. You'd think that refs would be wary of handing soft yellows and then them coming back to haunt for a real yellow later, what was fennelly supposed to do? Hope that the 65 would be brought forward!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

ttowncat wrote: »

I saw it ,and may have had the blinkers on, but I thought as they crossed paths that joe went to trip fennelly and as fennelly stumbled forward he made sure to leave a hurl or arm back. Both did it subtle enough as Owens was the nearest person running behind the two of them! I jumped thinking that joe would be getting a yellow or red but Owens just gestured to the two of them to get up and get on with it.

Did anyone else see it? It's not on TV. I was way up on davin.

Also it was great the way that fennelly took no sugar from smith! There was a meeting of the two at the throw in as well as a time in second half down near padraig walshes sideline that you can see at the edge of the camara where smith starting some pull down dragging sh*t and fennelly obligingly leaving the whole weight of his studs and body down on smith!

I also think it absolutely crazy booking fennelly for removing smith from in front of TJ's 65. You'd think that refs would be wary of handing soft yellows and then them coming back to haunt for a real yellow later, what was fennelly supposed to do? Hope that the 65 would be brought forward!?!

2 things ive highlighted from your post...first of all I should clarify that I am not a fan of Smith. Hes hard man antics drive me insane as he gives away stupid frees instead of just concentrating on hurling - and the funny thing is he is actually a good hurler when he wants to be. Me personally, I wouldnt even have him on the panel, never mind the team. However, I cant belive you are praising fennelly for him stamping down his studs on smith. Neither smiths or that are fennelly (stamping) should have any part of the game!!!

As for the second part - fennelly should not have done anything and quite rightly got yellowed carded for the jab of the hurley.he should have left well alone and let the referee get smith out of the way and issue him a yellow card!

Kilkenny fans are great - just like Millwall fans. They all hate us but we don't care.

As for those 31-counties whingers about the ref, facts are that Galway got almost twice the frees KK did and half of Galway's scores came from frees while less than a quarter of KKs did. Without the refs help, Galway could have stayed at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

donnem33 wrote: »
    he should have left well alone and let the referee get smith out of the way and issue him a yellow card!

Ah, I dunno, Smith was trying to get under the KK player's skin, making a statement of intent. Fennelly's response let him know that he, and the rest of the team, would front up to that sh1te. It was well worth a yellow card, leaving it to the ref to sort it out 1) wouldn't have worked because the ref was letting him fart around and try and disrespect the KK lads and 2) would have looked weak. Fennelly laid down a marker, it typified the kind of game he had Sunday all in all. Well worth a yellow card, even if he didn't deserve one (watching it on the telly so I didn't see the incident once Fennelly had shoved Smith out of the shot).

Wouldn't agree with using the studs or any other filthy stuff, but you have to front up to the likes of Smith or he'll make a prick of you.

• Advertisement

Kilkenny fans are great - just like Millwall fans. They all hate us but we don't care.

As for those 31-counties whingers about the ref, facts are that Galway got almost twice the frees KK did and half of Galway's scores came from frees while less than a quarter of KKs did. Without the refs help, Galway could have stayed at home.

another way of looking at the stats is if galway were as economical with their chances as kk, they would have won!!

as they say lies, damn lies and statistics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

firstly dastardly I said might of won.2nd injuries and referees dogged us in 13 (Waterford game@ cork game) also our second half performance against cork where we drew the 2nd half with 14 men was everything this team is about.and besides henrys sending off the pull across Larkin for the penalty by o neill went unpunished just like coen on sunday.

There was no questionable decision in normal time in that Waterford Kilkenny match and Waterford were missing Paudie Mahony, Shane Walsh, Stephen Molumphy, Philip Mahony and Stephen Daniels, all starters in 2012 and when they were available the following year started as well.

They were just poor that year. But it's incredible what they've achieved since then, hard to put into words.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

donnem33 wrote: »
    ttowncat wrote: »

fennelly should not have done anything and quite rightly got yellowed carded for the jab of the hurley.he should have left well alone and let the referee get smith out of the way and issue him a yellow card!

He didn't jab him, he pushed him away with the edge of the hurl - two entirely different actions.

From what i saw, Smith saw the linesman run away and turned around to annoy Reid who was lining up the 65 - happened on the 42nd minute. I can only presume Owens booked both players as he saw the pushing and not what started it. TBH he doesn't really annoy me as when he starts those antics you know he's not on his game. In fact I think he was a major factor in Galway losing on Sunday as the man he was supposed to be marking got MOTM. I think he ran off the pitch three times in total during that second half. That had to have been severely disruptive for his own performance and to Galway especially seeing as they brought on a different sub for the second blood sub. I also think he's well able to hurl when he puts his mind to it.

Ah, I dunno, Smith was trying to get under the KK player's skin, making a statement of intent. Fennelly's response let him know that he, and the rest of the team, would front up to that sh1te. It was well worth a yellow card, leaving it to the ref to sort it out 1) wouldn't have worked because the ref was letting him fart around and try and disrespect the KK lads and 2) would have looked weak. Fennelly laid down a marker, it typified the kind of game he had Sunday all in all. Well worth a yellow card, even if he didn't deserve one (watching it on the telly so I didn't see the incident once Fennelly had shoved Smith out of the shot).

Wouldn't agree with using the studs or any other filthy stuff, but you have to front up to the likes of Smith or he'll make a prick of you.

i agree with you..and as i said I dont like smith or condone his actions! I was just referring to the previous poster who appeared to have delight in fennelly stamping his studs on smith. neither smiths actions or fennelly reactions should be in the game. i appreciate it however that unfotunately it is parcel of the game and does go on

Was going through the roll of honour last night doing a bit of number crunching.

Interestingly, Fr Tommy Maher and Brian Cody have won half of Kilkenny's all ireland tally as if i needed to tell you. Fr Tommy won 7 from 1957-75 and Brian as well known has won 11 all irelands since 2000.

Notable mention to Ollie Walsh (92 and 93) and Pat Henderson (82 and 83) who both won 2 each.

• Advertisement

Just realised that was my first post about the match since it happened. But even at the time I suppose that moment sort of stuck in my memory as a bit of a psychological turning point. To my mind, Anthony Cunningham has spent a lot of energy over the years trying to get inside Cody's and KK's heads (the sideline bickering, the "we'll see you in September" thing which in fairness he was right about), and it's only really had the effect of unsettling his own teams and distracting them from the matter at hand (hence Smith's bush league bullsh1t on Sunday, which reminded me of Davy Fitz's team in 2008 going out to put KK off. It's ludicrous, and it's no coincidence that when we've been beaten in the last few years it was by the non-bullsh1t managers like JBM and Liam Sheedy)

It was a strange All Ireland for me because it was the first one in over ten years that I wasn't able to attend. Weird experience to walk in off a Chicago street and see the match on the TV, but I suppose it's a familiar enough sight for many Irish people by now. The atmosphere was quiet enough, mainly because the beer wouldn't be flowing until just before half time. And then in the second half the noise died down again after about fifteen minutes anyway.

I have to admit, I was calling out loud for Colin Fennelly to be taken off when he was being roasted in full forward. It wasn't clear from the TV how isolated he actually was there, but I'd still say he struggled far too much in one-on-one situations, and his first touch seemed bad for September. Nevertheless, no sooner was he moved and he was scoring nicely. I mention him because even though I thought he was our weakest forward, we really were motoring something fierce.

I also thought the full back line were really struggling at times in the first half, Holden was being dragged out and turned a lot. And yet the goal didn't come under much direct threat for all of the pressure. The half backs were tremendous, I though Padraic Walsh had a fine game that didn't get much credit at the time.

But while the forwards in general were also very good, I thought the winning of the game was in midfield. Fennelly was obviously amazing, but what I loved was just how stuck in Conor Fogarty was, once again. The workrate of him is unreal, he won an amount of ball. Definitely the most underrated player in the country right now. I can't believe it was only a few years ago people were saying that in the modern game midfield has been by passed. I would say the opposite, the way that midfield has become much more heavily involved in shoring up the half back line and in pushing forward, it's probably even more important than the half backs at this stage, certainly the way that Cody currently has KK lining up.

Just a short comment on the reaction of KK fans, I think it is fair to say it doesn't get as much excitement from us as it would from Galway fans to see a victory. That's surely understandable, and it was tangible in the pub in Chicago where after the final whistle, the KK people there were still fairly subdued, if obviously contented. But what I find these days is that it's the fear of losing that keeps me riveted. When we fall, it's usually from a great height and with a big bang. It's not that our fans were indifferent. They were just relieved.

video warning - the Cork number nine who was near the goal line when the ball hits the net seems to have been edited out of the picture. It's irrelevant to the matter at issue but he was way ahead of Tommy on the run in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Martin567

video warning - the Cork number nine who was near the goal line when the ball hits the net seems to have been edited out of the picture. It's irrelevant to the matter at issue but he was way ahead of Tommy on the run in.

For God's sake, that's ridiculous!

I'm as Kilkenny as they come but I have no memory of any Cork player being more advanced than Tommy. Given Tommy's position, the goal couldn't be awarded. Who on earth do you think edited a Cork player out of the picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭junospider

It was the retaken penalty where the cork player was way ahead of the ball and it was allowed stand..

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

junospider wrote: »
    It was the retaken penalty where the cork player was way ahead of the ball and it was allowed stand..

Very true, Daniel Kearney was as far in on the retake as Tommy was on the original. But in fairness if the ref was going to keep ordering retakes for encroachment we still be there now watching it...

Anyone else watch Pairc Life? Was interesting enough but it got me thinking too. We all know that the GAA is a different game in terms of professionalism to where it was a while back but I wonder if therein lies a bit of Cody's magic. When you think of the other managers on the elite hurling circuit, he's certainly amongst the elder statesmen. He will remember only too well the days when the GAA was a lot of commitment but a bit of craic as well, whereas some of the younger ones will remember mainly the commitment. I'm not saying for a second that Cody doesn't push them hard, I've seen him training them myself so I know how he goes about things. But I wonder if he also in some small way lets them enjoy it a bit too. Perhaps does something which he knows the lads will find a bit of craic as well as doing all the legwork. There is an old saying that 90% effort and 10% laughter is worth double 100% effort. Cody is a wise old soul as well as having all his other strengths in abundance. Not saying my thoughts on this truly hold any water but its a theory nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ttowncat

Re mick fennelly yellow: if he did nick smith with the hurl then it was a silly yellow on mick's part, but I don't think he did.. Not sure though. I would however be all over his intent of getting smith out of the way and not taking any of smith's nonsense. Like the way that ger aylward was straight in on Johnny coen after his clothesline tackle on Colin letting him know that it doesn't go unnoticed that you hurt one of our players( and aylward didn't do anything cynical)

Re mick fennelly 'stamping': I didn't say that he stamped down. To clarify its more like that if smith wants to pull and drag someone down on top of himself after the ball is gone then it is hardly mick fennellys prerogative to stop, drop and roll away. Have a look if yee get the time at the video, if I get time tomorrow I'll try put it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Just realised that was my first post about the match since it happened. But even at the time I suppose that moment sort of stuck in my memory as a bit of a psychological turning point. To my mind, Anthony Cunningham has spent a lot of energy over the years trying to get inside Cody's and KK's heads (the sideline bickering, the "we'll see you in September" thing which in fairness he was right about), and it's only really had the effect of unsettling his own teams and distracting them from the matter at hand (hence Smith's bush league bullsh1t on Sunday, which reminded me of Davy Fitz's team in 2008 going out to put KK off. It's ludicrous, and it's no coincidence that when we've been beaten in the last few years it was by the non-bullsh1t managers like JBM and Liam Sheedy)

Er... and Cunningham.

Cody doesn't endear himself to many with his constant berating of sideline officials when he sees things that don't go his way. Too many managers, Galway's included, have allowed him away with too much ranting along the touchline, so there should be no complaints if he gets a bit of it back.

MfMan wrote: »
    Er... and Cunningham.

Cody doesn't endear himself to many with his constant berating of sideline officials when he sees things that don't go his way. Too many managers, Galway's included, have allowed him away with too much ranting along the touchline, so there should be no complaints if he gets a bit of it back.

Cunningham is welcome to make any kind of fool of himself he likes on the line, my point is simply that going out with the obvious intention of making some kind of point to Cody is basically taking your eye off the ball and getting into extraneous ****, and actually playing into Cody's hands. Sheedy got into a few verbals with Cody on occasion but it was clearly heat of the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭orl

I said I would come back and eat humble pie about Walter Walsh and here i am. His pass to TJ Reid was important and his heft held John Hanberry back to get the goal. He got two points also although he did have a bad wide. Still maintain he would not make the Kilkenny teams of 07-08 but was better than most of the Galway forwards yesterday.

I always thought Kilkenny would win. Galway are not psychologically ready yet.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement