Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Yes, he should. By the rules.

The big difference is this - I doubt if the ref saw that incident in real time, and so no blame apportions to him on that score.

But the ref in real time saw that Colin Fennelly's helmet was completely pulled off his head.

Not doing something about that, is an abdication of responsibility.

I actually dont think either should have been sent off tbh, I like to see common sense being used by officials and its a rule that while well intentioned is in serious need of a re-vamp. There was a similar instance in teh minor match and again I don't think the Galway deserved a red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

danganabu wrote: »
    I agree with you on the second photo its a nothing incident, but on the first one your answer is hilarious considering the assertions made here that David Burke should have been sent off.

I think I understand though, KK player commits ioffence its just being manly, or heaven forbid he lost his balance, anyone in a non stripey shirt commits same oiffence its filth, dangerous and he should be sent off :D:D

I answered your question in a straight manner, so now I'd ask you to do the same -

Leaving the rule itself as it stands out of it for a moment -

Is interfering with the helmet on the same level of intent, or of potential to injure, as ripping the helmet completely off the head ?

Yes or no ?

edit - I see you've answered my question in the meantime. Appreciated, but I think you're completely off the wall wrong.

I answered your question in a straight manner, so now I'd ask you to do the same -

Leaving the rule itself as it stands out of it for a moment -

Is interfering with the helmet on the same level of intent, or of potential to injure, as ripping the helmet completely off the head ?

Yes or no ?

edit - I see you've answered my question in the meantime. Appreciated, but I think you're completely off the wall wrong.

In general no, but its not as black and white as that, if you are interfering with the helmet/faceguard there is the potential for a serious eye injury and that is why I said the rule needs to be clarified/modified. I think Owens got both instances spot on.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Sure David Burke clearly intentionally interfered with the helmet but MOM Mick Fennelly wouldn't do such a thing!

Seriously, the whinging from some KK Fans is embarrassing. There was one serious offence in the game that probably warranted red and the ref produced yellow - Johnny Coen. Apart from that it was a seriously tough, physical encounter, the kind of stuff most of us like to see. The ref has absolutely no baring on the result.

What do you mean by whingeing ?

That because we won, we aren't entitled to talk about the game, or that we must turn a blind eye to things ?

There's more to being a supporter than mindlessly cheering on All Ireland victories, otherwise there wouldn't be any Galway supporters. Amongst others.

In general no, but its not as black and white as that, if you are interfering with the helmet/faceguard there is the potential for a serious eye injury and that is why I said the rule needs to be clarified/modified. I think Owens got both instances spot on.

He pulled the helmet right off his head !

Potential for more than eye injury there, I think.

How is that getting it spot-on ?

Do you think (as I do) that compulsory helmets are nonsense anyway ?

• Advertisement

Thats not a problem, thats why it is a discussion board, what is annoying is when someone refuses to debate or acknowledge a differing view point and just automatically puts it down to begrudgery.

FWIW I am a Tipp man but am a huge fan of KK hurling and was roaring my head off for them last Sunday. And have continaully acknowledged them for their talent and achievements on here but some people just like to jump on any hint of negativelty or outside viewpoint.

Thats not a problem, thats why it is a discussion board, what is annoying is when someone refuses to debate or acknowledge a differing view point and just automatically puts it down to begrudgery.

FWIW I am a Tipp man but am a huge fan of KK hurling and was roaring my head off for them last Sunday. And have continaully acknowledged them for their talent and achievements on here but some people just like to jump on any hint of negativelty or outside viewpoint.

Agreed. I'm not one for a one-sided view only, I hope.

But it's fair annoying to be told when you raise your voice that you should just shut up and enjoy the win.

As if that were what supporting your team was ever about.

Do you think (as I do) that compulsory helmets are nonsense anyway ?

Again we will have to diasagree - I promise its not intentional :D

I have seen too many horific injuries down the years, probably the most high profile in Tipp being our recent Minor Manager Willie Maher who captained Tipp to minor sucess in '96 and lost an eye shortly after, the same fate has befallen at least two members of my own club that I recall. Add to this the fact that the game is constantly becoming faster and more physical I dont really think there is any other option.

Agreed. I'm not one for a one-sided view only, I hope.

But it's fair annoying to be told when you raise your voice that you should just shut up and enjoy the win.

As if that were what supporting your team was ever about.

I knew we would agree on something eventually!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

donnem33 wrote: »
    John Hanbury did nothing to Colin Fennelly!! It was johnny coen who dragged him down

Hanbury at about midway through the second half was definitely hyped up and after one particular long tussle over at the right hand side of the goal with Colin (Colin again trying to rise that ball that had morphed into a ball of soap) TJ came in, got the ball and Hanbury gave him a right dunt over the sideline. Kilkenny were awarded a 65 in that incident.

Hanbury does not appear to be a natural full-back, but he tried hard to put up a fight all right.

Fennelly was no. 14 for Kilkenny and Hanbury was 3 for Galway, I'm sure there was the odd thing going on between them.:)

It was him that done it and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

Hanbury at about midway through the second half was definitely hyped up and after one particular long tussle over at the right hand side of the goal with Colin (Colin again trying to rise that ball that had morphed into a ball of soap) TJ came in, got the ball and Hanbury gave him a right dunt over the sideline. Kilkenny were awarded a 65 in that incident.

Hanbury does not appear to be a natural full-back, but he tried hard to put up a fight all right.

Fennelly was no. 14 for Kilkenny and Hanbury was 3 for Galway, I'm sure there was the odd thing going on between them.:)

It was him that done it and all that.

Didnt see it and thats the first time Ive seen it mentioned too! I had presumed savannakat was referring to the incident in the first half and had got his name mixed up with coen..as thats the incident which most people are referring to in this forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

Again we will have to diasagree - I promise its not intentional :D

I have seen too many horific injuries down the years, probably the most high profile in Tipp being our recent Minor Manager Willie Maher who captained Tipp to minor sucess in '96 and lost an eye shortly after, the same fate has befallen at least two members of my own club that I recall. Add to this the fact that the game is constantly becoming faster and more physical I dont really think there is any other option.

And the injury to Tom Walsh in the All-Ireland of 1967. Tom lost his eye in an incident with Tony Wall of Tipperary with four minutes to go (which Kilkenny won).Tipperary were well known for their roughhouse style of hurling then (hell's kitchen), and Kilkenny discovered the only way to beat them was to fight them at their own game (no helmets then when they were needed). Since then, Tipp have never come to grips with being challenged in this manner.Talk about the kettle calling the pot black.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Callinan is fully recovered, it is a sensationalist headline that actually bears no resemblence to what Seamie actually said, Seamie played 90 mins in a Mid Final on Wednesday night at centre back and was outstanding, your concern is touching but don't fret he is fully recovered.

Not according to himself. Says he's still sore, getting physio on his neck and getting bad pains in his head. Reckons he had mild concussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

I wonder if any of the county lads with a niggle not playing this wkd. They might decide to take a rest if the league match has little relevant to their club's position. Anyone know?

Any linky to the league table? I tried looking on Kilkenny GAA website but I couldn't see anything.

Eoin Larkin is definitely gone for the Village.

You can get the full league tables at the links below;

http://www.kilkennygaa.ie/fixtures?compID=45555

http://www.kilkennygaa.ie/fixtures?compID=45557

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Whats the format for the rest of the championship? I've never really been clear on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Top team from each group goes into the League final and get a bye to first round in the c'ship i.e. straight into C'ship Qtr finals.

Second team from each group goes into the Sheilds final and get a bye to first round in the c'ship i.e. straight into C'ship Qtr finals.

Bottom two goes into first round of c'ship and this also acts as the relegation semi-final. Win and you go to the Qtr finals. Lose and you're in the relegation final. Bottom of one group plays the second bottom of the other group.

Third and fourth team goes into first round of c'shipl. Win and you go to the Qtr finals. Lose and your year is over. Third of one group plays fourth of the other group.

I think the above is mainly right. I'm sure if I've missed something, someone else will point it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

adrian522 wrote: »
    Whats the format for the rest of the championship? I've never really been clear on it.

PLay the last round of league games sort out league positions

Then the top in each group play off for league Title
    The second placed teams play for shield
    third and forth play off for qtr final spot, losers are out
    5th and sixth play off relegation semis,
    Losers into relegation final, winners into qtr finals

Top 2 teams play winners of third and forth and relegation semi winners There is a draw for these games winners go thru to semis losers are out

then semis and final

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Best of luck to darragh joyce who's heading down under for trials, colin o riordan from tipp also going hard to blame these young men great opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

brookville wrote: »
    Who would people like to see tried next year? Kevin kelly and chris bolger are two exciting forwards, joe lyng and rob lennon are two players he likes next year is a big year for brian kennedy and mark kelly both have slipped a long way down the pecking order hopefully john walsh and luke scanlon recover from injuries two good prospects
    Im sure James Maher, Diarmuid Cody, Conor O Shea and Conor Martin will get a chance between Walsh Cup and league games too. A couple of players from the team that wins the Intermediate always seem to be brought onto the training panel too. It would be good to see Ciaran Ryan, Jason Cleere, Richie Leahy and a couple more of the under 21's at least train with the seniors next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Best of luck to darragh joyce who's heading down under for trials, colin o riordan from tipp also going hard to blame these young men great opportunity
    I hope he does well. Shows what going to a school with a strong tradition in a particular sport can do. Ger Alyward and Walter Walsh where both as good footballers as anybody else in the country at minor level.

Big loss to the Rower if he does get a contract tho. They seem to have a great young team coming along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭blackwave

Topcat32 wrote: »
    I hope he does well. Shows what going to a school with a strong tradition in a particular sport can do. Ger Alyward and Walter Walsh where both as good footballers as anybody else in the country at minor level.

Big loss to the Rower if he does get a contract tho. They seem to have a great young team coming along.

AS was Darragh's brother Kieran. Best of luck to Darragh though its a great opportunity for him.

Richie leahy is a serious prospect, jason cleere, john walsh, luke scanlon look to have great potential, all under 21, I'm looking forward to next year's u 21 team they have potential to be very good, hopefully the league next year will be used to expose players again, does anyone know will there be new management for u21?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thinlizzy51

cant help thinking back to 2013 when listening to the radio driving back from portlaoise after losing the replay to dublin.commentators@ pundits alike where saying we were on the way down.the following week we beat tipp (best atmosphere I have ever experienced at a game) then beat waterford eventually losing to cork. (after which our grave was been dug again) however what a two years we have had since then.how lucky are we to support a team that just keeps on giving.we are truly blessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Well done to Limerick tonight. Munster counties have really dominated this grade in the last 7 years bar Galway in 11.
    Bar kilkenny it is fair embarrassing the lack of success at underage level for Leinster counties. If we don't want hurling dieing in this province I think it's time to employ coaches from Kilkenny to improve the underage structures, skill levels of kids in counties like Offaly, Laois, Westmeath, counties that have an interest in hurling. I think Wexford and Dublin can look after themselves. It's time the GAA got off it ass and really try to hit these counties with top coaches whose job is soley to improve these counties. Yes it goes against the whole volunteer ethos but I would love to see at least 4-5 teams genuinely challenging for the Bob O keefe cup. I would just love to see Wexford and Offaly challenging us and winning from time to time.
    What can be done to achieve this?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

Richie leahy is a serious prospect, jason cleere, john walsh, luke scanlon look to have great potential, all under 21, I'm looking forward to next year's u 21 team they have potential to be very good, hopefully the league next year will be used to expose players again, does anyone know will there be new management for u21?

After the hammering Limerick gave Wexford tonight in U21 ( with several Minors from 2014 starting), I'd say there will be changes

my best 15 if codys reign
    1.eoin murphy
    2.paul murphy
    3.noel hicke
    4.Jackie
    5.tommy
    6.brian hogan
    7.jj
    8.m fennelly
    9.d. lyng
    10. dj
    11.henry
    12.gorta
    13.fast eddie
    14.tj
    15.charlie carter

my best 15 if codys reign
    1.eoin murphy
    2.paul murphy
    3.noel hicke
    4.Jackie
    5.tommy
    6.brian hogan
    7.jj
    8.m fennelly
    9.d. lyng
    10. dj
    11.henry
    12.gorta
    13.fast eddie
    14.tj
    15.charlie carter

PJ Ryan, just for the '09 final alone :D Probably a scandal that McGarry didnt get an AllStar ?
    Hard call to leave out Mick Kav.
    Eoin Larkin for me - longevity, scores some magnificent points, workrate, plus the total change in role he has taken on at a late stage in career.
    Richie Hogan. Already a great.

agree.dont know how I left richie out.would have him in for Charlie carter.as for pj ryan just 1 great game for me.know murphy is relatively new and maybe untested but I like his sharpness and all round game.persomal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Willie O'connor and Richie Power wouldn't be far away either.

• Advertisement

Larkin would be a cert on any recent team how anyone could leave him out is beyond me??fair play to limerick fully deserving winners they travelled a tough road hopefully we cop on and treat this grade seriously but I'd expect us to have a good side next year and we'll be at home to dublin or wexford which will be a bit of a help at least

blackcard.the whole point of picking teams like these is that everybody has a different viewpoint. goe what its worth willie o connor is my all time favourite player (but I didnt pick him).agree larkin is a great player but of the 6 forwads I have picked who would you leave out for him.mine dj henry gorta eddie richie tj.

Imo larkin has being consistently brilliant for club and county for the guts of ten years while some lads mentioned above have being outstanding for shorter periods as it stands larkin is a proven leader and he'd be on my team anyday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Imo larkin has being consistently brilliant for club and county for the guts of ten years while some lads mentioned above have being outstanding for shorter periods as it stands larkin is a proven leader and he'd be on my team anyday

Give us your team

Mcgarry probably gave 8-9 good years on the goal, nothing fancy but got the job done, pj ryan was brillant in 09 but after the 10 final he was gone, murphy has the best look about him and we're very lucky to have a young goalie, tipp, cork and galways are well over the 30 mark, the best backs pick themselves with mick and lyng midfield, my best front six would be larkin, henry, tj, eddie, dj, hogan. We're privileged to have seen some of the greatest players over the years

Mcgarry probably gave 8-9 good years on the goal, nothing fancy but got the job done, pj ryan was brillant in 09 but after the 10 final he was gone, murphy has the best look about him and we're very lucky to have a young goalie, tipp, cork and galways are well over the 30 mark, the best backs pick themselves with mick and lyng midfield, my best front six would be larkin, henry, tj, eddie, dj, hogan. We're privileged to have seen some of the greatest players over the years

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

@brookville
    Eh you posted the same message there four times! :)

Mcgarry (Murphy may pass him in time) Paul Murphy, Noel, Willie O'Connor, Tommy, Brian Hogan, JJ, Mick Fennelly, Lyng, Henry, Richie Hogan, DJ, Brennan, Tj, Larkin. Subs Eoin Murphy, Kavanagh, Jackie, Peter Barry, Tennyson, Buckley, Michael Rice, Cha, Richie Power, Gorta, Charlie Carter

3 different from mine blackcard.so 12 the same. murohy/kavanagh larkin/ gorta @ the keepers are probably the 3 positions of contention for everyone.also jackie or Willie o connor.

• Advertisement

Sorry for the multiple posts dunno what happened, everyone has different opinions but we are truly blessed to have a brilliant panel and management

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bunnymunro

Any previews of senior games today lads. Who's injured etc. Is Richie Hogan gonna play for danesfort??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

My best 15 of the Cody era.

James McGarry
    Paul Murphy
    Noel Hickey
    Jackie Tyrrell
    Tommy Walsh
    Brian Hogan
    JJ Delaney
    Mick Fennelly
    Derek Lyng
    Eoin Larkin
    Henry Shefflin
    TJ Reid
    Eddie Brennan
    DJ Carey
    Richie Power

randd1 wrote: »
    My best 15 of the Cody era.

James McGarry
    Paul Murphy
    Noel Hickey
    Jackie Tyrrell
    Tommy Walsh
    Brian Hogan
    JJ Delaney
    Mick Fennelly
    Derek Lyng
    Eoin Larkin
    Henry Shefflin
    TJ Reid
    Eddie Brennan
    DJ Carey
    Richie Power

No Richie hogan?! Are you mad? I'd put him in for power, and gorta for Larkin. The rest looks about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

No Richie hogan?! Are you mad? I'd put him in for power, and gorta for Larkin. The rest looks about right.

Each to their own, but I think Power been a serious performer since 06 and has had a bit more done all round than Richie at this stage, though another 2/3 years and Hogan will surpass him for me.

As for Gorta for Larkin, not for me, Larkin at his best was a better player and better all round hurler.

randd1 wrote: »
    Each to their own, but I think Power been a serious performer since 06 and has had a bit more done all round than Richie at this stage, though another 2/3 years and Hogan will surpass him for me.

As for Gorta for Larkin, not for me, Larkin at his best was a better player and better all round hurler.

Yeah but gorta is better craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

1st round championship fixtures
    James Stephens v Ballyhale Shamrocks
    Dicksboro v Danesfort
    Mullinavat v Carrickshock
    Erins Own v St Martins

League Final
    Rower Inistioge v Clara

Shield Final

O'Loughlin Gaels v Fenians

1st round championship fixtures
    James Stephens v Ballyhale Shamrocks
    Dicksboro v Danesfort
    Mullinavat v Carrickshock
    Erins Own v St Martins

League Final
    Rower Inistioge v Clara

Shield Final

O'Loughlin Gaels v Fenians

You don't have the intermediate draw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

League Final
    Bennettsbridge v Tullaroan

Shield Final
    St Lachtains v Young Irelands

1st Round
    St Patricks v Graigue Ballycallan
    Lisdowney v Conahy Shamrocks
    Emeralds v Tullogher Rosbercon
    Dunnamaggin v Thomastown

Some tasty matches there when are they fixed for?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement