Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Senior Draw:

Clara v Erins Own
    O Loughlins v Danesfort/Dicksboro
    Fenians v Ballyhale
    Rower Inistioge v Mullinavat

Intermediate:

Tullaroan v Thomastown
    Gowran v Ballyragget
    Bennettsbridge v Tullogher
    Freshford v Lisdowney

Winners
    Clara by 10
    O'Loughlins by 2
    Ballyhale by 8
    Rower by 4
    Tullaroan by 4
    Ballyragget by 5
    Bennettsbridge by 2
    Freshford by 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Saturday
    Boro v Danesfort 2pm, Kells Rd
    Clara v Erins Own, 4:30pm, Freshford

Sunday
    Fenians v Shamrocks, 2pm, Kilmanagh
    Rower v Mullinavat, 4:30pm, Thomastown

• Registered Users Posts: 21 KKCATDownUnder

That piece posted above in the Indo by Henry gives a fair insight into what goes on in the dressing room and outside that us supporters sitting outside never know about or really take into account when were sitting watching KK play , fascinating insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Danesfort and Boro game finished a draw, Danesfort got a goal in injury time to level it.

Over a 16 week period during the height of the summer, a Kilkenny club senior played played one meaningful match. Now these clubs will play 4 matches in a row in September. And one club will probably play 5 matches in a row. Someone please correct if I'm wrongs.

But if I'm right, that's a disgrace. Not KCB fault as such but too much emphasis put on county teams at a massive cost to the clubs' senior players.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/i-have-massive-respect-for-donal-og-but-i-was-bulling-at-the-stepford-wives-thing-31539891.html

Not sure how much I want to revisit this whole Stepford Wives nonsense again, but I was very interested in his account of the 2006 final. That was my favourite of all our All Ireland wins (despite my animosity towards Tipp), pretty much for the kinds of reasons Henry lays out here. It was billed as the clash of old and obsolete against the future of scientific sporting preparation. I genuinely believe that if we lost the game the course of hurling history since would have been utterly different. Cody, for one thing, would probably have been forced to resign, and the Cork approach would have become the blueprint for all.

But it's interesting to read about the psychological approach Kilkenny took to that match, especially the double irony that, having been wrongly regarded as having no tactical preparation to their game for years, htey were finally credited with tactical brilliance on the one day that they had utterly abandoned their actual tactics!

EDIT: As an aside, I can't believe it's almost ten years since that day. It seems so recent to me.

Yeah, it's my favourite one too, despite been very near the Tipp border. Cork looking so good at the time and JJ out injured, it was probably a game won that we were most underdogs.

Anyone going to the book launch on Thurs evening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Over a 16 week period during the height of the summer, a Kilkenny club senior played played one meaningful match. Now these clubs will play 4 matches in a row in September. And one club will probably play 5 matches in a row. Someone please correct if I'm wrongs.

But if I'm right, that's a disgrace. Not KCB fault as such but too much emphasis put on county teams at a massive cost to the clubs' senior players.

Agreed that its a major problem and also thats its not the fault of indivdual county boards, Croke Park needs top draw up an annual fixture plan in November/December that is stuck to rigidly.

Apart from club players sitting idle playing no games for months a worse situation is not knowing when you will be playing as club players can't book holidays, make plans etc because of the uncertainty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Thought the common perception was that KK played c'ship games right through the summer, (up there with rumours that ye eat your children!). Looks the same as other counties so....

Henry's book looks occasionally fascinating, even if it is soooo Vincent Hogan ("Look,", "Thing is" etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 clashash

Would love to see the second captains live with Richie hogan featured a couple of weeks ago. Can somebody put it on YouTube?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

It's still on the player http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/second-captains-live-30002430/10465657/
    If you are abroad just use the Hola add on in Chrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

MfMan wrote: »
    Thought the common perception was that KK played c'ship games right through the summer, (up there with rumours that ye eat your children!). Looks the same as other counties so....

Henry's book looks occasionally fascinating, even if it is soooo Vincent Hogan ("Look,", "Thing is" etc.)

We do, the fixture list is done based around winning Leinster so if we fail to do that the Club fixture list is usually affected. This year because the Minors drew their All-Ireland semi final the final round of the League had to be put back to the weekend after the All-Ireland which was a free weekend. So the rest of the Championship is on schedule at the moment.

It's not strictly true to say that club players only had one game in 3 months during the summer as the majority of them would have been involved in the Alyward Cup, a knock out competition opened to clubs from all grades which doesn't involve the county players.

Oh and the rumours that we eat our children is technically not true.... we only eat the ones that can't hurl!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

robwen wrote: »
    Richie has serious knee trouble had to get fluid removed from the knee after All Ire couldnt play against Clara last week, Rice started against Clara but did hamstring & came off after 20mins, I`m not knocking the 2 guys they deserve huge credit for being on the pitch yday, I think it more highlights the desperation of the shocks to get them on the pitch as they know they won`t win a meaningful match without them

Mullinavat were a good 10 points better maybe more, than Shocks on the day. That goal Carrickshock got on the stroke of full time did nothing but to put a respectable look on the scoreboard but the game was over long before that. Im not convinced that Power or Rice even if fit could have even won that game for them last Saturday.

Though I must say Power was out of the game completely and Rice almost seemed as if he was pulling out of tackles at times, he was definately carrying that injury. Its going to be one hell of a tough relegation final for two struggling teams

It's not strictly true to say that club players only had one game in 3 months during the summer as the majority of them would have been involved in the Alyward Cup, a knock out competition opened to clubs from all grades which doesn't involve the county players.

It's a fair point but I wouldn't call them meaningful games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

King Henry on the Late Late Show tomor night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

robwen wrote: »
    King Henry on the Late Late Show tomor night

Prepare to cringe your way through another awful Tubridy sport interview.

Still, Henry's extracts in the indo have been interesting reading and he gives a good interview usually so maybe he'll save the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Huge crowd turned out for a well prepared cillin hill, an emotional henry thanked everyone throughout his career including the supporters who helped him get through big matches. Tommy, jj, eamon corcoran of tipp and Ken mcgrath were guest speakers.hope the book goes well for the great man what that man put his body through we'll never know.the best of the best no doubt.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Jackie considering retiring then. Would be sad but it'd be the right time in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Prepare to cringe your way through another awful Tubridy sport interview.

Still, Henry's extracts in the indo have been interesting reading and he gives a good interview usually so maybe he'll save the thing.

It is an awful pity that Turbidy will be doing it, he is terrible in general but when it comes to interviewing a sports person he is out there on his own in terms of uselessness. Shefflin always gives me the impression that there is so much more there under the surface if you could get him to relax and open up, Turbidy will do the exact opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

danganabu wrote: »
    It is an awful pity that Turbidy will be doing it, he is terrible in general but when it comes to interviewing a sports person he is out there on his own in terms of uselessness. Shefflin always gives me the impression that there is so much more there under the surface if you could get him to relax and open up, Turbidy will do the exact opposite.

Marty's the man ðŸ˜

Thought Ryan Tubridy absolutely butchered that interview with Henry tonight anyway

• Advertisement

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Thought Ryan Tubridy absolutely butchered that interview with Henry tonight anyway

What a shock

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bunnymunro

Anywhere to find previews of this weekends games online lads!! It's times like this you would miss a dedicated kk forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Was at the Graiguenamanagh vs Black and Whites match. Inoffensive match although a fairly low standard. Cant imagine too many of the players will be troubling the county team for a while. Skeogh were deserving winners, got the goal early, took most of the chances in the 1st half and pulled away nicely in the 2nd half. Graigue were poor particularly in the 2nd half, didnt offer anywhere near enough. Not sure what the other teams in the junior grade are like but the standard must be poor if Skeogh win it.

kksaints wrote: »
    Was at the Graiguenamanagh vs Black and Whites match. Inoffensive match although a fairly low standard. Cant imagine too many of the players will be troubling the county team for a while. Skeogh were deserving winners, got the goal early, took most of the chances in the 1st half and pulled away nicely in the 2nd half. Graigue were poor particularly in the 2nd half, didnt offer anywhere near enough. Not sure what the other teams in the junior grade are like but the standard must be poor if Skeogh win it.

Glenmore will be the team to win it Id say, they look to be much better than the rest.

Whether they are good enough to stay up Intermediate next year though Im not so sure.

The Junior grade this year is probably the worst we have had in years in terms of the standard of teams especially when Glenmore are the hot favourites to come back up considering they struggled so badly in Intermediate last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Glenmore will be the team to win it Id say, they look to be much better than the rest.

Whether they are good enough to stay up Intermediate next year though Im not so sure.

The Junior grade this year is probably the worst we have had in years in terms of the standard of teams especially when Glenmore are the hot favourites to come back up considering they struggled so badly in Intermediate last year.

Yeah I wouldnt see too many of the club matches but I saw Graigue a few weeks ago against Mooncoin and they won with a last minute goal so I thought they might be alright. But they were very bad today. May I ask who the best teams are in the Junior Grade?. Wouldnt know any of them at all.

kksaints wrote: »
    Yeah I wouldnt see too many of the club matches but I saw Graigue a few weeks ago against Mooncoin and they won with a last minute goal so I thought they might be alright. But they were very bad today. May I ask who the best teams are in the Junior Grade?. Wouldnt know any of them at all.

Well I would have said Galmoy considering how they pushed the Bridge all the way last year in the Semi Final and have had a decent year this year but they were surprisingly beaten today. Also would have said Mooncoin might be in that little group next to Glenmore but when Graigue are beating them plus adding in the hammering they got in the County Final it looks like this Junior Championship is Glenmores to lose.

Out of whos left Skeough may be the only team to challenge them if they can perform on the day

• Advertisement

B&w seem to be moving well under pat o neill but on paper glenmore should win but it doesn't always work that way, kilmacow are usually solid, mooncoin won't be to bad, galmoys defeat today probably the surprise so far this wknd, ballyragget looked good against a poor gowran side, the bridge had to work hard for their result while clara had to do the same against a hard working comer side, dicksboro overcame danesfort and set up a local derby with o loughlins.is the draw on monday and is it an open draw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

brookville wrote: »
    B&w seem to be moving well under pat o neill but on paper glenmore should win but it doesn't always work that way, kilmacow are usually solid, mooncoin won't be to bad, galmoys defeat today probably the surprise so far this wknd, ballyragget looked good against a poor gowran side, the bridge had to work hard for their result while clara had to do the same against a hard working comer side, dicksboro overcame danesfort and set up a local derby with o loughlins.is the draw on monday and is it an open draw?

Open straw

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pat 22

Anyone at the mullinavat v rower game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

pat 22 wrote: »
    Anyone at the mullinavat v rower game?

Mullinavat beat the Rower 0-18 to 0-12

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pat 22

Mullinavat beat the Rower 0-18 to 0-12

Thanks for that barney

• Advertisement

The rower got most of their scores from frees and will probably be disappointed they didn't perform to there max but hats off to the vat men who worked harder and were deserving winner's, they certainly can't be taking for granted in the semi final, pity john walsh isn't available. The biggest shock was probably thomastown beating tullaron but by all accounts fully deserving and freshford as expected had to much for their neighbours lisdowney, intermediate very even and two good semi finals to look forward to

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Topcat32

Great to see Thomastown doing well but for a town and parish its size it shouldnt be a suprise that they win an intermediate semi final. The reason it is a suprise is that the underage structure was pretty awfull in the second half of the 90's which eventually saw them go down to Junior after a lot of older players who won vocational school all irelands and played in county finals retired. Hope they kick on from this and get to senior in the next few years

I agree it shouldn't be a big surprise to win a quarter final but a lot of people had tullaron tipped to win that grade bragget and bbridge will probably be favourites to progress four evenly matched teams left

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭droppingball

Good win for Thomastown, was a surprise considering how they were going but they have gotten it together well considering they are missing a few forwards through injury. Should have done better over years considering size of the town but structures and talent seem to let them down.

They were 5 up at half time after playing with the wind, conceded a goal almost immediately at restart and it looked like curtains but a great battling display saw them through with a few great scores to close out the game around the 50th minute mark.

Tullaroan were poor enough up front and were very dependant on padraig walsh to create anything, his direct running caused problems but the finishing wasn't there from the other forwards.

Intermediate is very tight, you would probably rank them 1.Bridge 2. Braggot, 3 Freshford 4. Thomastown but anything can happen on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 48 doodlebops2015

Disgusting behaviour from Ballyragget sending out a player to take out Gowran's county man. looks like a very serious injury after a pull across the knee completely off the ball. They have a lovely hurling team. Pity the need to resort to such tactics.

Bad form alright but bragget hurled well and probably added a bit more steel,there was always a perception that they were to nice and probably weren't going to let gowran bully them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

The Boro boys ain't too happy with Richie's challenge on Buckley. Was he trying to do the cousin a favour?

Intermediate is very tight, you would probably rank them 1.Bridge 2. Braggot, 3 Freshford 4. Thomastown but anything can happen on the day

Agree, intermediate looks very exciting. Saw Freshford last night, very good team, very good back unit. Bar Thomastown, I don't I could call it between any of them. Even if Thomastown did win it, it wouldn't be the biggest of shocks.

Looking forward to the Boro/OLG game this weekend too.

citykat wrote: »
    The Boro boys ain't too happy with Richie's challenge on Buckley. Was he trying to do the cousin a favour?

He was certainly late in the challenge, the Boro crowd over on that side of the field weren't happy at all with what happened.

Evan Cody also had to leave the field in the first half for a couple of minutes after a tangle with Hogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 doodlebops2015

'Bad form alright but bragget hurled well and probably added a bit more steel,there was always a perception that they were to nice and probably weren't going to let gowran bully them'

Yes they hurled well and have some very nice hurlers but there's no need for that type of behaviour. And I'd say if you put a list of clubs must likely to bully an opposition in Kilkenny, Gowran would most likely come last!

• Advertisement

Mullinavat v Clara
    Shamrocks v O Loughlins/ Dicksboro

St Patricks v Thomastown
    Bennettsbridge v St Lachtains

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

Mullinavat v Clara
    Shamrocks v O Loughlins/ Dicksboro

St Patricks v Thomastown
    Bennettsbridge v St Lachtains

You would have to think Clara and Shamrocks in the Senior even though Mullinavat did very well to beat the Rower and Clara's winning margin over Comer was smaller than anticipated. Intermediate could go anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

County managers for 2016 ratified in Galway... Any word on Kk teams?

On Second Captains' podcost this week, there is an excellent 40min interview with Henry. A proper one, well worth a listen.

To say michael walsh is a "knacker" is incorrect and unfair, brian coady would not have him on the panel for the last couple of years if he was, he is probably the last of a natural full back and a tough cookie but what bill staunton done was unacceptable and he will now miss the semi final

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

To say michael walsh is a "knacker" is incorrect and unfair, brian coady would not have him on the panel for the last couple of years if he was, he is probably the last of a natural full back and a tough cookie but what bill staunton done was unacceptable and he will now miss the semi final

I can't anywhere that says the player is a "knacker"? And also you should get your facts right before you name players that did'nt even get booked during the match!

kk1970 wrote: »
    I can't anywhere that says the player is a "knacker"?

There was a post that said exactly that, it was deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Surprised to here Bill Staunton's name mentioned above for this incident. It's definitely not the way he normally plays. Would be known for being a hardworking and stylish hurler when on form. He also trained with Kilkenny Senior's this year for a few months and would know Michael Walsh.

Steve staunton was on the pre season panel but didn't get any game time good hurler though . Hopefully a few players put there hand up in the next few week's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Steve staunton was on the pre season panel but didn't get any game time good hurler though . Hopefully a few players put there hand up in the next few week's

Yeah Stephen was in there as well as Bill for a while. Think Stephen is out injured at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement