Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭randd1

Dublin 1-17
    Kilkenny 3-07

TJ Reid with the penalty. Larkin missing a few opportunities. Dublin frees dropping short due to a very strong breeze.

Dublin 1-19
    Kilkenny 3-9

Championship standard apparently. Real physicality shown by both sides. Dublin battling like tigers, both sides missing opportunities. Sutcliffe has got 1-5.

Dublin 1-19
    Kilkenny 3-10

Larkin with a free, and there's 57 minutes gone.

Dublin 1-19
    Kilkenny 3-10

Larkin misses yet another free, and there's 61 minutes gone. Richie Power coming on.

Dublin 1-22
    Kilkenny 3-11

Ryan O'Dwyer with a point, Richie Power with the reply. 2 minutes left.

Looks like Kilkenny have missed a rake of chances, but Dublin good value for the lead.

• Advertisement

Dublin 1-22
    Kilkenny 3-12

Padraig Walsh point, last minute. Kilkenny need a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

1-22 Dublin 3-13 Kilkenny full time.

Kilkenny fought back well and good experience for a few of the new lads. We certainly didn't get the rub of the green either with some decisions!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

JIdontknow wrote: »

Kilkenny fought back well and good experience for a few of the new lads. We certainly didn't get the rub of the green either with some decisions!!

Wouldn't think the ref had the slightest material effect on the outcome of the game from a neutral POV. Shefflin blessed not to get the line as well.

FT

Dublin 1-22
    Kilkenny 3-13

Good win for Dublin, they were good value for the win.

According to the radio, the game was a real championship standard game, which will stand to both teams for the last day of the league.

From a Kilkenny point of view, a disappointing result, wasted a hand-full of chances (Larkin especially on the frees), but good to see we're getting goals again.

Looks like Tommy is not able for it any more, roasted by his man again and taken off at half time again. Looks like we're a stronger side without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 dubliner 2

JIdontknow wrote: »

Are you for real? Shefflin should have walked. He's become a right narky schite in the last year or so. And then the ref throws the ball in despite booking him. Should have been a free from where the ball landed which would have given Dublin a good chance of another score. And some of the frees ye got were staggering. I'd no idea what they were for. Dublin won with Rushe/Keaney and Dotsy anonymous. KK are dangerous, but they're not the force they used to be. And the new lads are no better or worse than Dublin/Clare/Limerick/Cork lads. The golden era is over. Back to one or two a decade for the next while for KK, and everyone else I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

dubliner 2 wrote: »
    Are you for real? Shefflin should have walked. He's become a right narky schite in the last year or so. And then the ref throws the ball in despite booking him. Should have been a free from where the ball landed which would have given Dublin a good chance of another score. And some of the frees ye got were staggering. I'd no idea what they were for. Dublin won with Rushe/Keaney and Dotsy anonymous. KK are dangerous, but they're not the force they used to be. And the new lads are no better or worse than Dublin/Clare/Limerick/Cork lads. The golden era is over. Back to one or two a decade for the next while for KK, and everyone else I'd say.

Ori, come back in September

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 yayabalexreya

ho ho ho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Yeah nasty late slap by Shefflin on a lad handpassing out of defence. It was very late. Anyone else and it was a straight red.

Ye'll have to plan without Tommy, or else find a new role for him. He cant cut it in the half back line anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭droppingball

Henrys tap was a little late but to say it was a red card is ridiculous, we were far to loose in the half back line and midfield area, dublin didnt cause us to much trouble inside but they dominated the middle sector.

Just watched match again sutcliffe almost played as a third midfielder an tommy didn't know whether to drop in or follow him, but sutcliffe just left him for dead when he was actually on him. To be fair sutcliffe is a serious athlete and at least kilkenny reacted because besides one score from sutcliffe buckley was all over him and got the better of him whilst also contributing a point of his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭Hitchens

...and Daly et al will see a different Kilkenny come the summer ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭999/112

Henrys tap was a little late but to say it was a red card is ridiculous, we were far to loose in the half back line and midfield area, dublin didnt cause us to much trouble inside but they dominated the middle sector.

Just watched match again sutcliffe almost played as a third midfielder an tommy didn't know whether to drop in or follow him, but sutcliffe just left him for dead when he was actually on him. To be fair sutcliffe is a serious athlete and at least kilkenny reacted because besides one score from sutcliffe buckley was all over him and got the better of him whilst also contributing a point of his own.

What channel/site did you watch that on? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

999/112 wrote: »

It was on setanta ireland last night

DD Mikasa wrote: »
    Yeah nasty late slap by Shefflin on a lad handpassing out of defence. It was very late. Anyone else and it was a straight red.

Ye'll have to plan without Tommy, or else find a new role for him. He cant cut it in the half back line anymore.

Ref bottled it. No doubt he was worried that Cody and co would be off to the CHC again to defend the pure-as-the-driven-snow Henry, who'd never slap a fella late. What was it he got one of his yellows for vs. Galway last year?

Danny Sutcliffe has basically retired Tommy Walsh. It's not the first time Sutcliffe has gone to town on him.

KK will have a say in where the All Ireland goes but I'll be amazed if they win it. Cody said earlier in the year what anyone who has been watching Dublin and KK's underage teams for the last five years knows full well. The standard of what will replace Walsh/Shefflin/Tyrell etc. is nothing like what they were like. The golden era is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

As an exile unable to get to see the games and therefore having to depend on match reports it appears the scores Kilkenny have put up in this league are very impressive however the amount we have conceeded is equally horrendous.
    A few questions to those in the know.
    What is the story with JJ as it appears he is the only full back we have and also who would the starting fifteen be if we had to start the championship tomorrow, have any of the newcomers made a case to date.

To be fair sutcliffe is a serious hurler

Fixed that there for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Henrys tap was a little late but to say it was a red card is ridiculous.

Deliberate pull to the face. Red card all day except the ref bottled it.

Still funny to see the Kilkenny line outraged that their backs were being pulled up for hanging onto their man liked frightened toddlers with their daddies.

Dublin will have a say in where the All Ireland goes but I'll be amazed if they win it.*

*(football, hammered by Derry today) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Rossie2014

Ref bottled it. No doubt he was worried that Cody and co would be off to the CHC again to defend the pure-as-the-driven-snow Henry, who'd never slap a fella late. What was it he got one of his yellows for vs. Galway last year?

Danny Sutcliffe has basically retired Tommy Walsh. It's not the first time Sutcliffe has gone to town on him.

KK will have a say in where the All Ireland goes but I'll be amazed if they win it. Cody said earlier in the year what anyone who has been watching Dublin and KK's underage teams for the last five years knows full well. The standard of what will replace Walsh/Shefflin/Tyrell etc. is nothing like what they were like. The golden era is over.
    I think thats just stating the obvious, its very hard to replace some of the best players ever but at least Kilkenny are looking to the future now and as you say will still be very competitive this year. As for Tommy, he may not be suitable for half back but I think its early to write him off.

Suttcliffe is a very talented hurler and causes problems to every team. Dublin still probably lacking enough star forwards to win an All Ireland but will be tough to beat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

Write tommy off at your peril lads, still a lot of hurling to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Going back 5 years is a bit too far. We won minor all irelands in 2010 and 2011 and that u21 team we had in 2012 that lost to clare in the final was as talented an underage team you will see. Stop talking ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

When will people realise that writing ye shower of hoors off is a mistake! So what if the next batch arent as good as the likes of Shefflin, Walsh, Delaney, Larkin etc. The current crop of KK players were a once in a lifetime bunch just like the Kerry team of the Mick O' Dwyer era. You would swear the rest of us were winning all around us at minor and U21. We re not. KK have unearthed a few handy looking players in this league. Losing in Cusack Park and a tight ground like Parnell park is par for the course in the National League. Unfortunately ye havent gone away and dont look like going away. I ll never write off KK again after what ye did to us in the 2006 final!

Michael Fennelly is a huge player for us. He will make a difference for sure when he is back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭me89

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Michael Fennelly is a huge player for us. He will make a difference for sure when he is back

Probably our best player to.

JJ will make a big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Was at the game and have to say the Dublin supporters around us acknowledged that it was Henry's momentum that carried him into the tackle. Yellow nothing more.

Wouldn't worry too much about result. Expected Dublin to win this one in Parnell Park. There has been no balance to the teams Cody has sent out in the league. He's trying new players and new things. Quite obviously when he makes changes, albeit half way through the game, and resites players in their better positions we are competitive. We had enough ball in the second half to win it but sent too many wide or took wrong options. Fair play to Dublin, they badly needed the points and got them.

Next week I expect to see a more balanced team sent out against Waterford. Don't know the extent of John Power's injury but I would start him as soon as he is fit.

Team I would like to see -

E Murphy
    P Murphy M Walsh J Tyrrell
    C Buckley J Holden B Kennedy
    P Walsh T Walsh
    W Walsh C Fen TJ Reid
    JJ Farrell M Kelly R Hogan

• Advertisement

me89 wrote: »
    Probably our best player to.

JJ will make a big difference.

Id hope so. I have a feeling theres something going on with JJ, I feel he doesnt know whether hes going to come back or not. I remember him publicly saying it after the 2012 All Ireland that he was considering his future. We shall wait and see anyway cos theres no word of him being injured or back training

Id hope so. I have a feeling theres something going on with JJ, I feel he doesnt know whether hes going to come back or not. I remember him publicly saying it after the 2012 All Ireland that he was considering his future. We shall wait and see anyway cos theres no word of him being injured or back training

JJ spent a good portion of the winter travelling around Australia, and has taken the winter and league off to recuperate. As far as I know, he's back training but has a fair bit to catch up on, but a bit like Mick Fennelly we only need him for the championship this year, we'll learn nothing by playing JJ in the league.

999/112 wrote: »

I was at the game and I have also watched it back on setanta recording prior to my post, it was a yellow card and if it was anyone else except henry or maybe tommy we wouldn't hear anything of it again. It wasn't near a red card or a pull for that matter.

I was at the game and I have also watched it back on setanta recording prior to my post, it was a yellow card and if it was anyone else except henry or maybe tommy we wouldn't hear anything of it again. It wasn't near a red card or a pull for that matter.

Exactly. Anybody used to watching hurling would agree.

Fixed that there for you.

He is a serious hurler I wouldn't dispute that at all, he would make it into every half forward line in the country.

On him retiring tommy, I wouldn't be so sure he will fight back. Sutcliffe would probably have outrun tommy when tommy was at his peak but he would never have the outhurled one of the greatest half back I have ever seen.

Dublin were full value for there win and 3 points was not a true reflection on the game but it seems that you are getting satisfaction that we have slipped. We are well aware of where we are and that is why we are giving the young guys a chance. It isn't easy replacing some of the best hurlers we have ever produced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I recorded the match on Setanta and I've just finished watching it.
    My thoughts:
    • Dublin were the better side overall and so deserved the win but KK weren't too far behind. In truth we could have nicked it with the chances we had. There was a very good intensity to the match which will benefit both teams come championship time.
    • Herity made a poor mistake to let in a goal. He did make a good save in the first-half, but I'd still prefer Murphy in between the sticks.
    • Paul Murphy was class as usual, definitely one of the best corner-backs in the country. Tomás Walsh didn't see much action in the first-half but he did come more into the game in the second-half and performed pretty well. He got caught badly once though coming out with the ball and he ended up giving away a free. He made a great save from a Dublin 21-yard free. Brian Hogan looked very rusty again and didn't look too mobile. I think JJ is still the best full-back we have, but overall I think we are really lacking in the that area. If John Dalton was still on the panel I think he could slot in there.
    • Tommy had a poor game again unfortunately. Lester was ok, but he isn't a centre-back. He's not the type of player who can dominate that area of the pitch. Holden did alright as well, another game to put under his belt.
    • Richie Hogan performed decently I thought. I think he's doing a good job playing in midfield. He did get a bit indisciplined in the 2nd half, and he also missed a handy free. Buckley was poor enough in the 1st half at midfield, but was a completely different player when he switched to wing-back. I'm starting to think that's his best position. Padraig Walsh played very well in the 2nd half at midfield. He really is developing along very nicely.
    • Walter started the game positively, but as the game went on he didn't get a lot of ball and failed to make an impact. Colin Fennelly was yet again impressive and scored a cracker of a goal. In the 2nd half a couple of times, he was running towards goal and it looked like he wasn't sure if to go for a goal or a point, and he ended up not striking the ball properly. Nonetheless he is a real big goal threat and playing very well at centre-forward. Larkin looked a lot fitter and sharper last night than earlier in the league. He always liable to miss a free or two.
    • Anyone know why Mark Kelly didn't start? John Power looked excellent and it was a big disappointment when he went off injured. He has some serious skill. Hopefully his injury won't keep him out for too long. Farrell was involved in a lot of the action today, he should have scored a couple of more points. But 70 minutes against a competitive Dublin side will really benefit him. Taggy was very lively in the 1st half and again he should of chalked up a couple of more scores.
    • TJ should take our penalties from now on. Fcekin' hell! :D
    • Henry's foul was definitely a yellow card, but it would have been a very harsh red card. Very little malice in it. He was just a bit over zealous and clumsy. Nicky English was commentating on Setanta, he said it was nothing more than a yellow card.
    • KK got 3 goals today. We look like such more of a goal threat this year compared to last season.

• Advertisement

Tommmys days as a half back look to be coming to an end unforunately. Im not saying to retire him because he is still far too good for that but I reckon putting him in the forwards may be worth a try. I feel at this stage of his career he would be better suited to using his intelligence and skill in the forwards rather than chasing his man around the whole time

Tommmys days as a half back look to be coming to an end unforunately. Im not saying to retire him because he is still far too good for that but I reckon putting him in the forwards may be worth a try. I feel at this stage of his career he would be better suited to using his intelligence and skill in the forwards rather than chasing his man around the whole time

who would Lar stalk if Tommy is retired? :)

Midfield, half forward, or as the extra defender in a 7 man defence might suit him better. If Kilkenny play Dublin again you may see a more natural man marker like Kieran Joyce or Paul Murphy on Sutcliffe. Michael Fennelly is a big loss to the half backs as well as he is an excellent defender particularly on the opposition puck outs

Rossie2014 wrote: »
    Midfield, half forward, or as the extra defender in a 7 man defence might suit him better. If Kilkenny play Dublin again you may see a more natural man marker like Kieran Joyce or Paul Murphy on Sutcliffe. Michael Fennelly is a big loss to the half backs as well as he is an excellent defender particularly on the opposition puck outs

a fully focused and fit Tommy Walsh will mark anyone out of a match, that includes Sutcliffe

Thing is dublin move to a two man full forward line with both standing full and both moving into space, this allowed dotst so much spaceto exploit on brian hogan.

If they do this again you would have to have murphy/kennedy man marking and having pace not to be exposed to much.

I would have serious worries about joyces pace also, I think he may have a serious fight for his place. Buckley handled him suprisingly well but I wouldnt panicking about sutcliffe destroying us id be more worried by goal scoring inside forwards.

• Advertisement

I think tommy moving to midfield/forward would be a great move as he has so much to offer

Hitchens wrote: »
    a fully focused and fit Tommy Walsh will mark anyone out of a match, that includes Sutcliffe
    I fully agree with that but the more Tommy is on the ball the better it is for Kilkenny, its not easy to sweep across the defense, clear loads of ball, and attack forward if your marking someone with serious pace

I previously posted a suggested team for next Sun with Tommy at midfield. Any views?

E Murphy
    P Walsh T Walsh
    W Walsh C Fen TJ Reid

I for one am certainly not writing off Tommy but I think a move might be no harm for now. If Joyce is fit I would consider him for centre back, move Holden to 7, and Kennedy to 4. And perhaps R Power in midfield instead of Tommy.

Grats wrote: »
    I previously posted a suggested team for next Sun with Tommy at midfield. Any views?

E Murphy
    P Walsh T Walsh
    W Walsh C Fen TJ Reid

I for one am certainly not writing off Tommy but I think a move might be no harm for now. If Joyce is fit I would consider him for centre back, move Holden to 7, and Kennedy to 4. And perhaps R Power in midfield instead of Tommy.
    Probably wont be far off what is picked, id put Lester Ryan midfield with Padraig Walsh, try Kieran Joyce at center back, if Mark Kelly isnt fit id start Richie Power full forward and look to give Tommy a run at midfield in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

E Murphy
    P Murphy M Walsh B Kennedy
    C Buckley B Hogan J Holden
    P Walsh L Ryan
    C Fennelly M Fennelly W Walsh
    R Hogan M Kelly TJ Reid

We have to get one more year out of Brian Hogan as we appear to have no one who has stepped forward to claim the center back position as his successor, we are waiting on news about JJ and need to bed in a full back in the event he does not return, we know what Henry, R Power, Eoin Larkin and J Tyrell can do, while the same applies to C Fennelly W Walsh and TJ we have to play some of them and I would play these as they are the younger men. It is time to start settling the team.
    I am not dismissing Tommy by any stretch of the imagination. I would wait until the ground hardens up a bit and then turn him loose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Here would be my team for the Waterford match (it's similar to Grats' and SavannahKat's line-ups):

E. Murphy
    P. Murphy M. Walsh B. Kennedy
    C. Buckley B. Hogan J. Holden
    P. Walsh L. Ryan
    R. Hogan C. Fennelly W. Walsh
    J. Farrell M. Kelly T.J. Reid

I'm assuming JJ, Mick Fennelly and Kieran Joyce won't be available (anyone know what's wrong with Joyce?).
    Henry, Larkin, R Power, Jackie, Tommy on the bench if required.

Regarding full-back, I'd prefer to see Michael Walsh getting more game time, rather than having Brian Hogan there. Hogan hasn't performed well so far in the league, so I'd like to see him in his normal position so he can try and get some form. If he's not playing well, then Lester can move to centre-back.

Here would be my team for the Waterford match (it's similar to Grats' and SavannahKat's line-ups):

E. Murphy
    P. Murphy M. Walsh B. Kennedy
    C. Buckley B. Hogan J. Holden
    P. Walsh L. Ryan
    R. Hogan C. Fennelly W. Walsh
    J. Farrell M. Kelly T.J. Reid

I'm assuming JJ, Mick Fennelly and Kieran Joyce won't be available (anyone know what's wrong with Joyce?).
    Henry, Larkin, R Power, Jackie, Tommy on the bench if required.

Regarding full-back, I'd prefer to see Michael Walsh getting more game time, rather than having Brian Hogan there. Hogan hasn't performed well so far in the league, so I'd like to see him in his normal position so he can try and get some form. If he's not playing well, then Lester can move to centre-back.

Yes, I would have no problem with that team although I do think TJ would be better at catching etc on the half line than R Hogan. As a previous poster suggested, Michael Fen at 11 would be welcome either. Pity that John Power picked up the injury in Pernell Park as he was looking very sharp. Wonder if Wally is ok, he appeared to be limping and in fact could have done with going off much sooner.

I'd say Joyce will be back on board this weekend. Apparently Cody mentioned that JJ will be available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

What was the nature of John Powers injury? he was looking good before he came off.

deadybai wrote: »
    What was the nature of John Powers injury? he was looking good before he came off.

Hamstring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Although Cody has tried a lot of players in different positions throughout the league so far we still haven't found a full back or centre back that I'd have huge confidence in for the championship.

I still think JJ and Hogan can do a job for us but I would like to see Paul Murphy tried at centre back, he dominates at number six for his club and could be the long term solution.

Would also like to see Joyce given a run at full back, I know he struggled there against Tipp but was a rock at full back for an allIreland winning U21 team a few years ago.

Not so sure if Tommy has the engine for midfield anymore but would definitely find a place somewhere for an in form Tommy Walsh.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement