Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I think talk of moving or retiring Tommy is premature to say the least. Of the 1-04 or 1-05 Danny Sutcliffe supposedly scored of him there were only 2 points I could say were directly Tommy's fault because he had been out maneuvered or out paced from what I can remember of Saturday nights game, I don't have Setanta to go back and re watch. The goal was 100% Heritys fault he should have dealt with it, for a few 2 to 3 others Holden, Lester or Buckley were the closest player as Sutcliffe was in the centre or right of the field when shooting.

In the Tipp game which I did re watch Tommy actually was one of the few defenders who turned up in the first half and as a result of trying to do too much ie: to cover others who weren't preforming, his performance also suffered, as well as making a few uncharacteristic poor decisions and mistakes when it came to ball control.

I think people are getting too carried away with the fact he's been subbed twice at halftime he's almost being scapegoated for some reason. If you look at his performances while far from great they haven't been the disaster that getting subbed at half time in two games would lead you to believe. So I ask why has he been subbed twice?

I think the idea partially was-take Tommy off, he's not flying but we know what he can do when up to speed, throw in some of the younger lads and lets see how they go when our backs are up against it. This maybe fanciful but I don't believe he's performances alone merited both subbings.

I think Tommy has been trying to do too much because he's unsure of those around him. For most of the scores he's leaked he's been out of position trying to help others cover the ball, not that this excuses him as he has to do his own job first. The ball then gets out to his unmarked man and he can't make up the ground, making him look slow and off the pace. When the defense settles I'd be shocked if he can't force his way in there with the drive and determination he shows every time he takes the field. I have no fear he will be flying come the summer.

He was in very good form out in Freshford for the Walsh cup games and looked to be moving much freer than he had been for the last 2 years.

Personally I think Tommy could do a good job for us on the half forward line and I would have advocated this move during the winter after the performances of our forwards last year. This call now seems unnecessary as we have the players showing up well in the forwards. We're spoiled in midfield so it's defense or bench for Tommy now. Obviously if the forwards don't perform it's always an option but he's shooting hasn't been great for Tullaroan in recent years on the odd time I've seen him play in half forward line or midfield. I would be utilising him there as a possession winner and distributor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I think talk of moving or retiring Tommy is premature to say the least. Of the 1-04 or 1-05 Danny Sutcliffe supposedly scored of him there were only 2 points I could say were directly Tommy's fault because he had been out maneuvered or out paced from what I can remember of Saturday nights game, I don't have Setanta to go back and re watch. The goal was 100% Heritys fault he should have dealt with it, for a few 2 to 3 others Holden, Lester or Buckley were the closest player as Sutcliffe was in the centre or right of the field when shooting.

In the Tipp game which I did re watch Tommy actually was one of the few defenders who turned up in the first half and as a result of trying to do too much ie: to cover others who weren't preforming, his performance also suffered, as well as making a few uncharacteristic poor decisions and mistakes when it came to ball control.

I think people are getting too carried away with the fact he's been subbed twice at halftime he's almost being scapegoated for some reason. If you look at his performances while far from great they haven't been the disaster that getting subbed at half time in two games would lead you to believe. So I ask why has he been subbed twice?

I think the idea partially was-take Tommy off, he's not flying but we know what he can do when up to speed, throw in some of the younger lads and lets see how they go when our backs are up against it. This maybe fanciful but I don't believe he's performances alone merited both subbings.

I think Tommy has been trying to do too much because he's unsure of those around him. For most of the scores he's leaked he's been out of position trying to help others cover the ball, not that this excuses him as he has to do his own job first. The ball then gets out to his unmarked man and he can't make up the ground, making him look slow and off the pace. When the defense settles I'd be shocked if he can't force his way in there with the drive and determination he shows every time he takes the field. I have no fear he will be flying come the summer.

He was in very good form out in Freshford for the Walsh cup games and looked to be moving much freer than he had been for the last 2 years.

Personally I think Tommy could do a good job for us on the half forward line and I would have advocated this move during the winter after the performances of our forwards last year. This call now seems unnecessary as we have the players showing up well in the forwards. We're spoiled in midfield so it's defense or bench for Tommy now. Obviously if the forwards don't perform it's always an option but he's shooting hasn't been great for Tullaroan in recent years on the odd time I've seen him play in half forward line or midfield. I would be utilising him there as a possession winner and distributor.

I picked Tommy at midfield on my suggested team for next weekend. I for one am not writing him off and in fact agree with most of the above. With regards to scapegoating, I don't think that's necessarily the case but rather Cody knows what Tommy is capable of and knows when to act. It's more to do with looking after him in my opinion. And it's a similar situation with the other "oldies".

We generally don't do much hurling training until the bright evenings arrive. While that may not be the case with the new lads it would seem to me that the older lads are following the normal pattern. We won't know for certain for a little while yet how the older lads will perform this year. I'm hopeful that some of them will be fine.

The reason I suggested Tommy for midfield was to allow Buckley some more time at wing back and also to give Tommy more freedom. They could always switch if necessary. You are correct regarding Sutcliffe's scores but I think the one where Tommy just couldn't get after him showed Tommy up for lack of mobility. Buckley marked Sutcliffe out of it in the second half. The only point he scored was when he knocked Larkin over and scored a point. We ought to learned something from that.

Grats wrote: »
    I picked Tommy at midfield on my suggested team for next weekend. I for one am not writing him off and in fact agree with most of the above. With regards to scapegoating, I don't think that's necessarily the case but rather Cody knows what Tommy is capable of and knows when to act. It's more to do with looking after him in my opinion. And it's a similar situation with the other "oldies".

We generally don't do much hurling training until the bright evenings arrive. While that may not be the case with the new lads it would seem to me that the older lads are following the normal pattern. We won't know for certain for a little while yet how the older lads will perform this year. I'm hopeful that some of them will be fine.

The reason I suggested Tommy for midfield was to allow Buckley some more time at wing back and also to give Tommy more freedom. They could always switch if necessary. You are correct regarding Sutcliffe's scores but I think the one where Tommy just couldn't get after him showed Tommy up for lack of mobility. Buckley marked Sutcliffe out of it in the second half. The only point he scored was when he knocked Larkin over and scored a point. We ought to learned something from that.

While I agree with most of what your saying re Tommy, Buckley and Sutcliffe. One thing should be noted, Tommy never had great speed and relied on winning the ball, If the other lad doesn't have the ball who cares how fast he is. The problem was Tommy wandered off his man a few times to help others and then he most definitely was caught for pace.

While I agree with most of what your saying re Tommy, Buckley and Sutcliffe. One thing should be noted, Tommy never had great speed and relied on winning the ball, If the other lad doesn't have the ball who cares how fast he is. The problem was Tommy wandered off his man a few times to help others and then he most definitely was caught for pace.

Agreed. Our backs generally were all over the place. Particularly so when playing against the wind in the first half. A similar pattern to the Tipp game, again when Tommy was taken off. From week to week Cody has been changing the backs, not just one or two but up to four. Under the circumstances we could hardly expect the necessary communication between the players. In fact great credit is due to all the players for getting decent results.

Anyway, Cody stated his plans before the league started and is sticking to it. We won two, lost to Clare by 1pt and to Dublin by 3pts - both away from home and had plenty of chances to win both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

The question being asked of Brian Cody and his selectors is "Have Brian Kennedy, Joe Holden, Padraigh Walsh, Mark Kelly, JJ Farrell or any of the other newbies done enough to displace the regular brigade. If the answer is no we are in trouble.

Tommy, JJ D, Jackie, Brian Hogan, Henry and Eoin Larkin are coming to the end of their illustrious careers and we have to face up to it. A team with P Murphy JJ D, Jackie, Tommy, Brian Hogan and Kieran Joyce as our starting backs wont cut it any more.

It will be a sad day to see any of these sit on the bench after the wonderful service and the great honor they have brought back to the county but time moves on and so must Kilkenny. We might get one more year out of them but realistically it is only a might and what then. Now is the time for change.

Change is happening. That's what is being tried out in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭droppingball

I would love to see this experimental line up given a chance, there are numerous guys not available but I would love to see how it would work

Murphy
    Murphy JJ Keogh
    Kennedy Tyrell Buckley
    M Fennelly P Walsh
    Walter C Fennelly R Hogan
    TJ E Larkin R Power

Brian Hogan maybe instead of JJ as he probably won't be available, and Tommy instead of M Fennelly if he wasn't available. Henry for another 20 minutes late on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

The crazy thing about it last year was that the backs weren't the main problem. They were what got Kilkenny to the quarter finals, eg Jackie and Murphy v Waterford. It's from midfield up where things went pearshaped.

The crazy thing about it last year was that the backs weren't the main problem. They were what got Kilkenny to the quarter finals, eg Jackie and Murphy v Waterford. It's from midfield up where things went pearshaped.

Yes indeed. The backs only conceded something like 1.16 to Dublin when losing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The major problem with the backs last year IMO was that whenever they were clearing the ball, they just drove it, often aimlessly, down the field, without looking for a shorter pass or for a free team mate. I know the forwards are always expected to be able to win the ball themselves, but in the years prior to the 2013 season, the backs supplied them with better ball.

In saying that of course, the forwards and midfield failed to work as a unit, and their shooting ability was well below average.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MajaDon

Last year Kilkenny were generally in trouble against Dublin and actually brought a player back in front of Brian Hogan like a 7th defender - most of the time a midfielder. That's why the backs seemed to do okay, but the forwards were under pressure. Overall, it was the injuries, lack of fitness of some of those returning too early and a few key players just getting older (and possibly a bit of Cody's force being less than before?) that combined to be unable to beat Dublin. Don't forget too that Dublin were getting better and were and are very strong in the middle part of the pitch, which makes it difficult for opposition to get the ball and to find space to look up to place it.

I would suggest that the tight confines of O'Moore Park may have made it look like we had brought a player back to help the backs. I believe that had we played Dublin in Croke Park we would have beaten them. Their tactics suit a tight pitch as thet did again in Parnell Park last Sat. Remember we had beaten then just over a month ago in Croker in the Walsh Cup Final.

Cody is trying his best to assemble a decent panel for the championship. Their fitness levels and determination won't be a factor come the summer. Anything Cody has within his control won't be found wanting. Hopefully the one thing outside of his control won't play such a vital role this year and that is the officials. Mind you nothing could hardly be worse than what we experienced in Thurles last summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

How's Michael Fennelly playing these days?

As good as two players for KK when at his best and that's an understatement.

K4t wrote: »
    How's Michael Fennelly playing these days?

As good as two players for KK when at his best and that's an understatement.

He's not long back from Oz, so he's been training with the panel but has yet to be named in the match day squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

Some very decent and informing discussion lads, fair play to ye. I'd be more hopeful than I was October/Nov about this year. Thought our forwards going to be a very serious problem for this season but there are reasons to be hopeful with the likes of Mark Kelly and Colin Fennelly looking and hurling like a new very important players. TJ would be essentially a new addition this year too as his touch is looking extremely good, even now. To have the confidence to go flat out on that knee would take ages too. Jonjo Farrell is doing himself proud, not everyone's cup of tea but working very hard and has some lovely touches.

Dunno about Richie Hogan, would be one of my top 2 hurlers we have at the moment so midfield or forward? Himself and Mick Fennelly would be an interesting partnership centrefield, they'd both have it in spades in every department.

Wouldn't have much worry about Tommy as someone said above, hard ground suits him and let him peak at the right time. I agree with whoever said about Paul Murphy being put at centre back/full back ASAP. He's dominant, nippy and some hurler. Teams are deliberately not playing his side. Rest of the backs is open season for me.

• Advertisement

Some very decent and informing discussion lads, fair play to ye. I'd be more hopeful than I was October/Nov about this year. Thought our forwards going to be a very serious problem for this season but there are reasons to be hopeful with the likes of Mark Kelly and Colin Fennelly looking and hurling like a new very important players. TJ would be essentially a new addition this year too as his touch is looking extremely good, even now. To have the confidence to go flat out on that knee would take ages too. Jonjo Farrell is doing himself proud, not everyone's cup of tea but working very hard and has some lovely touches.

Dunno about Richie Hogan, would be one of my top 2 hurlers we have at the moment so midfield or forward? Himself and Mick Fennelly would be an interesting partnership centrefield, they'd both have it in spades in every department.

Wouldn't have much worry about Tommy as someone said above, hard ground suits him and let him peak at the right time. I agree with whoever said about Paul Murphy being put at centre back/full back ASAP. He's dominant, nippy and some hurler. Teams are deliberately not playing his side. Rest of the backs is open season for me.

And very decent post from yourself. I agree with everything you posted but would be hesitant about taking Murphy out of corner back. Who would replace him? It would be great to have him more involved alright. As you said JJ Farrell isn't everybody's cup of tea but for me he brings a lot to the team for now at least. If it continues then he is deserving of his place. He has brilliant workrate, brave and well able to win a ball. Opponents find him a nightmare to mark and inevitably concede a free to him. He will certainly take watching and will therefore allow other forwards to find space.

TJ is making progress but he does look like he needs more time. I wonder if that's why Cody is playing him in the corner. Unfortunately it would appear Rice is struggling too. Shame.

Padraig Walsh has to be in midfield and I don't think it suits Richie Hogan there. Would much prefer to see him back in the forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kkid

My thoughts on our league form so far:

I’m quite optimistic that we are going in the right direction.

Goalkeeper:
    Herity just is not on the same class as Murphy so in my opinion Murphy has to start. He’s better under highballs, better touch and looks more assured. Think his puckouts are better too.

Backs:

Paul Murphy is starting in any game if fit, no question. Brian Kennedy is a must starter based on his form so far. He may be looking good on heavy pitches but has to start somewhere, delivers intelligent ball too. Also think Cillian Buckley has forced his way into contention for a half back slot. Has a great engine but is over run in midfield. Wing back suits his game most I think. JJ will play this Sunday vs. Waterford I hear so this will be a big thing. With him at No 3 it allows us have a go at whomever we want at No 6. I still think Brian Hogan will be the preferred option at CB as no one else has stood up there, although Lester has been extensively tried also. We have Tommy, Joyce, Holden and Fogarty for one spot.

Midfield:

We have a few options with Rice, Walsh, Hogan and Ryan all vying to partner Mick Fennelly in my opinion. There are so many questions that need answering here I feel. Is Mick’s back able for Midfield? Where is Rice at the moment? Will Richie move back into the forwards? My personal choice would be (if Mick F was able) Fennelly and Rice. While I am a massive fan of Richie Hogan Michael Rice, if he plays like he did for the Shock last year, is really important. When we played Croke Park over the past few years Rice was consistently the one player who our backs were hitting with short clearances. He allowed us not have Tommy driving high hopeful clearances. He allowed our forwards move more. He was off sorts last year for county and this was down to his injury the previous year. He works like an extra HB at times but is also able to take a score or two.

Forwards:

Walter, while he has played well does tend to drift in and out of games rather alarmingly. As I think has been said here before his style suits either Right half forward or Right Corner only I believe. Colin Fennelly is our centre forward I think, sewn up. Only player who should/could disrupt that is big brother Mick. The other wing is a mystery to me. TJ should be able to clear up from here but still looks like he is lacking confidence. Larkin has been disappointing for me the past few years and only when moved to midfield did he look good enough. If Hogan doesn’t get the nod at midfield he could do a job here either. Others who could come into the reckoning are Power, Richie or John, and I think Tommy could be an outside option. Personally the full forward lien is a strange look but could be very effective. I think Jonjo has done well and deserves to be given every opportunity to cement his place. Likewise I think Kelly has been very sharp looking and on wider pitches and better ground I think he could be dangerous. He’s well built, strong, fast and well able to take a score. At 15, Henry will be there I think come championship.

The team for 1st round could be:

E Murphy
    P Murphy
    JJ Delaney
    B Kennedy
    C Buckley
    B Hogan
    K Joyce
    M Rice
    M Fennelly
    W Walsh
    C Fennelly
    TJ Reid
    JJ Farrell
    M Kelly
    H Shefflin

Subs:
    D Herity
    C Fogarty
    M Walsh
    J Tyrell
    T Walsh
    Lester Ryan
    J Holden
    P Phelan
    P Walsh
    Liam Ryan
    R Power
    R Hogan
    J Power
    E Larkin
    A Fogarty

^^^^
    Very good post Kkid.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kkid

Thanks Dastardly00, funny thing is its not my choice, but I have yet to manage an all Ireland winning side so what do I know.

Yeah, a very good post for sure. I'll take it a step forward and from a pessimistic point of view.

I supposing JJ doesn't make it back, that Michael Rice doesn't recover from injury and neither Michael Fen or Henry are available for one reason or another. Now obviously I do hope that none of that happens but in truth we were there before!

Under those circumstances I would alter to team as follows-

E Murphy
    P Murphy B Hogan B Kennedy
    C Buckley K Joyce J Holden
    P Walsh T Walsh
    W Walsh C Fen TJ Reid
    JJ Farrell M Kelly R. Hogan

• Advertisement

I read where David Glynn from the Boro has been named at number 3 on the Fitzgibbon team of the year and Eoin Murphy at number 6, yes our goalkeeper! I can only presume that Glynn has Joe interest at present in senior county hurling! Pity it that's the case as we could do with a replacement full back.

Just a thought! Eoin Murphy at number 6 next Sun?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

As a few people said there. What has happened to Michael Rice? He played against WIT in challenge game and hasnt been seen since. What is going on there? Rice would most certainly be a serious addition for us if we could get him back fully fit and firing like he was for Carrickshock last. I was very impressed with his performances especially in the County Final. Richie Doyle would be another player I would be looking at as long as he was to stay injury free for the backs. He was named on the bench last weekend so you would hope hes making his way back

I read where David Glynn from the Boro has been named at number 3 on the Fitzgibbon team of the year and Eoin Murphy at number 6, yes our goalkeeper! I can only presume that Glynn has Joe interest at present in senior county hurling! Pity it that's the case as we could do with a replacement full back.

Just a thought! Eoin Murphy at number 6 next Sun?

That must be a mistake .... I thought Eoin Murphy was a wing-forward???

Irish Daily Mail Hurling Future Champions 2014
    1. Aaron Murphy (LIT/Limerick)
    2. Alan Dempsey (LIT/Limerick)
    3. David Glynn (UCC/Kilkenny)
    4. Tomás Lawrence (CIT/Cork)
    5. Eoin Keane (CIT/Cork)
    6. Eoin Murphy (WIT/Kilkenny)
    7. Thomas Hamill (WIT/Tipperary)
    8. Stephen Roche (WIT/Waterford)
    9. John Cronin (CIT/Cork)
    10. John O'Dwyer (CIT/Tipperary)
    11. Pauric Mahoney (WIT/Waterford)
    12. Harry Kehoe (WIT/Wexford)
    13. Conor Lehane (UCC/Cork)
    14. Jake Dillon (WIT/Waterford)
    15. Paul Winters (NUIM/Dublin)

Eoin Murphy was moved to center back due an injury crisis in WIT for both the semi final and final and apparently hurled very well there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I see Jackie not even mentioned on a couple of posters teams for the championship, are people of the opinion that he's finished?
    I like the way Kennedy is shaping up myself but still think he has a bit to go to oust a fully fit Tyrell. Don't forget Jackie carried an injury for a lot of last year.

Eoin Murphy was moved to center back due an injury crisis in WIT for both the semi final and final and apparently hurled very well there.

Oh right, I hadn't heard about that. That's very interesting indeed. He can play in goal and in the forwards, and also in the backs!

Irish Daily Mail Hurling Future Champions 2014

I wasn't doubting you Grats! I thought that maybe there was some typo/mistake in the team that was released by the GAA :)

I wasn't doubting you Grats! I thought that maybe there was some typo/mistake in the team that was released by the GAA :)

No problem. Was kinda surprised myself considering he had only played two matches there.

I still think Eoin Murphy is far too good to be on goal, probably one of the most skillful hurlers on the panel. Its a pity theres no real good option to throw on goal cos I think Eoin Murphy would make a very fine outfield player and hes versatile. He has played Centre Back on a couple of occasions for his club aswell

• Advertisement

Charlie69 wrote: »
    I see Jackie not even mentioned on a couple of posters teams for the championship, are people of the opinion that he's finished?
    I like the way Kennedy is shaping up myself but still think he has a bit to go to oust a fully fit Tyrell. Don't forget Jackie carried an injury for a lot of last year.

Wouldn't write Jackie off but the injury he carried during last year is likely to cause problems again this year. Better to be prepared.

Heard Rice has a quad injury for some time now. Presume it must be nearly cleared up at this stage. Unfortunately another player that is hounded with injury. What an addition he'd be if fully fit. Again, better to be prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Lads. Only new to this forum but have been viewing for awhile. Just some info on the kilkenny panel which i heard from a reliable source earlier in the week.

There have been 6 lads dropped from the panel and are the following......

1) Richie Doyle
    2) David Langton
    3) Liam Ryan
    4) Padraig Phelan

Dont know the other two.

As for the Kilkenny team for this years championship. I would certainly try the following.

1) Eoin Murphy
    2) Paul Murphy
    3) Brian Hogan/ JJ Delaney
    4) Brian Kennedy
    5) Tommy Walsh
    6) Michael Fennelly
    7) Kieran Joyce
    8) Lester Ryan
    9) Michael Rice/ Padraig Walsh
    10) Walter Walsh
    11) Colin Fennelly
    12) Eoin Larkin/ Henry Shefflin
    13) Richie Hogan
    14) Mark Kelly
    15) TJ Reid

I know Michael Fennelly is best at attacking but he would definitely shore up the defence. If we had him at centre back then the options for any attacks against the backs would be either into the corners, where we would have two fast corner backe in Kennedy and Murphy or the high ball into the full forward, where we would have either Hogan or Delaney capable of resisting that threat. In the forwards we would have Eoin Larkin, Taggy, Richie and John Power and John Joe Farrell to come in.
    In the backs we would have Jackie, Conor Fogarty, Cillian Buckley, Joey Holden and Shane Pendergast to come in there.
    I wouldnt give up on Tommy yet lads. He will come good, as could Jackie but at the minute i would have Paul Murphy and Brian Kennedy in the corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Lads. Only new to this forum but have been viewing for awhile. Just some info on the kilkenny panel which i heard from a reliable source earlier in the week.

There have been 6 lads dropped from the panel and are the following......

1) Richie Doyle
    2) David Langton
    3) Liam Ryan
    4) Padraig Phelan

Surprised to hear lads are being dropped at this stage, would have thought with all the experimenting that's going on with the panel that there'd be another few weeks before anyone would be dropped.

Shame to see two Clara players gone what with them being county champions and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

I know its disappointing to see the two clara lads gone but you have to look at it this way.

Liam Ryan had a storming game in the 1st round of the Walsh Cup at half forward, scoring 6 points, 3 off his left and three off his right. He was very good. In the game against Galway in Freshford he was in at corner forward and was very ineffective for whatever reason. He was out of position and doesnt like that position and when a couple of heavy challenges came around he drifted out of the game completely. He will get his chance next year.

David Langton didnt get much game time, apart from the walsh cup and at the minute there are better options there. He will get his chance next year aswell.

Richie Doyle i think is unfortunate to be dropped as he is a natural number 7 in the same mould as JJ Delaney. Maybe he will take another year to get over his injury problems.

Padraig Phelan can also be considered unlucky as when he was given an opportunity he was accomoplishe as midfield.

Kevin Kelly as another who i heard was dropprd off the panel. He is a super hurler and i have no doubt come next year he will be fighting for a place in the half forward line.

Bear in mind this is info i got earlier in the week and hasnt been confirmed yet so dont take it as gospel but the sources were genuine.

t is reported in the Hogan Stand that both JJ and M Fennelly are in line to start on Sunday.Good to see them back

We need a fully fit JJ at fullback simply because no one else have stepped forward. I have never seen Michael Walsh play so i will leave it up to more informed posters to call that one.

Brian Kennedy is challenging Jackie, Joe Holden is challenging Tommy, no one has stepped forward to challenge Brian Hogan all who were tried are only temporary challengers. Padraigh Walsh is challenging Kieran J for the other wing.

A fully fit Michael F is automatic for midfield while in the absence of Rice, Lester has the best claim
    Colin Fennelly has cemented center forward while Mark Kelly has earned the right to call full forward his own. Of the others, Henry, TJ, Ritchie H, J and R Power, Walter, JJ Farrell, Eoin Larkin, none have set the house on fire this year.

A fit Henry will always be an automatic for one the other four positions. JJ Farrel is fast earning his place,, leaving Ritchie Power, Ritchie Hogan, Eoin larkin, Taggy, TJ or Walter to make up the last two positions. Right now I would go with

E Murphy,
    P Murphy, JJ Delaney,Brian Kennedy,
    Joe Holden, Brian Hogan, Padraigh Walsh,
    M Fennelly, Lester Ryan,
    Henry, Colin, Walter,
    JJ Farrell, Mark Kelly, TJ Reid

A real shame to see Richie Doyle dropped. Hes a lad with bags of talent, such a pity he is unable to get over all his injury problems. I remember him in 2012 taking Niall Burke of Galway to the cleaners in an u21 All Ireland semi final. Another thing I am wondering is has Matt Ruth been dropped too? I had heard earlier on in the year that he has. Another thing Id like to suggest is TJ Reid, would it be worth trying him at Centre Back, he played there on numerous occasions last year for the Shamrocks and from what I saw did quite well and after seeing the Fitzgibbon Team of the year, it is no surprise to me to see David Glynn there of the Boro, I have been impressed with him ever since the Boros run to the County Final in 2012. Certainly would like to see him brought on and given a chance next year

At the moment the team I would pick for Championship is,
    1. E Murphy
    2. P Murphy 3. JJ Delaney 4. Jackie(I reckon he will come good)
    5. T Walsh(Harder ground will suit Tommy) 6. K Joyce 7. B Kennedy

8. M Fennelly 9. M Rice

10. H Shefflin 11. C Fennelly 12. R Hogan
    13. W Walsh 14. M Kelly 15. TJ Reid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

We hear plenty of info on here that comes from "reliable sources"......still turns out to be inaccurate far too often

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Martin567

A fit Henry will always be an automatic for one the other four positions. JJ Farrel is fast earning his place,, leaving Ritchie Power, Ritchie Hogan, Eoin larkin, Taggy, TJ or Walter to make up the last two positions. Right now I would go with

E Murphy,
    P Murphy, JJ Delaney,Brian Kennedy,
    Joe Holden, Brian Hogan, Padraigh Walsh,
    M Fennelly, Lester Ryan,
    Henry, Colin, Walter,
    JJ Farrell, Mark Kelly, TJ Reid

While JJ Farrell has done quite well, Richie Hogan has been far more impressive from what I saw in the two games against both Tipperary & Galway. I can't imagine Richie not being on the first 15 based on what I've seen so far. Not knocking the Thomastown man but Richie Hogan is at least a level above, in my opinion.

Kevin Kelly has definitely been dropped off the panel and will be concentrating on the 21's and his club for the rest of the year, disappointed for Kevin as he didn't get much of a chance to impress and IMO he has huge potential and will be a big player for us in the future.

• Advertisement

Kevin Kelly never got a run in the Walsh Cup or League which would suggest that he isn't ready for senior hurling yet. That may be due to fitness/health issue. Concentrating on under 21 is best for him if that is the case.

Richie Doyle is struggling badly after his hip operations. It is especially tough on him and a major loss to Kilkenny.

As somebody posted already I am surprised that Cody has cut anybody from the. Panel at this stage. Would have thought it wouldn't happen until after the league run is over.

Matthew Ruth had two hip operations recently so won't be playing any hurling for a while.

While it is a little strange cutting lads at this stage there is no point holding on to lads you don't see making it this year. They've had good experience they now know the level that's expected so it's up to them to work hard this year and through the winter and hope to get another call up for next years league. If you hold onto lads too long and they get cut another month or two down the line it may demoralise them more after having been there for the whole league campaign blaa blaa....

If R Doyle can make it back to his previous shape and form he has a great chance of being a stalwart, likewise with K Kelly -my fear for him always is how light he is but he's young still. The other three may get another call up but other than Liam Ryan the other two were barely noticeable anytime they played. Joe Brennan could be another in a similar situation depending on the squad he was quite poor v Galway I don't think he touched the ball in all the time he was on the pitch. I'd agree with most of the teams posted but I'd be of the view that Tommy and Jackie will be very close to the team and will hard to displace but those suggested will do well if they do dislodge the lads. It's great to have real options and real pressure for places all boats rising and all that stuff.

Looking forward to seeing JJ and M Fennelly play if their ready this weekend. I think once Cody settles on a team in the next few weeks the performance level will rise once the lads get more comfortable playing along side each other more regularly and will be able to read each other better.
    All exciting stuff.

Team ranks after the 4th round

1 Clare: I think their at the top of the pack currently I do believe we can beat them though with a full compliment.

2 Kilkenny: I think we're next in terms of how strong we are given the teams we've put out in the league.

3 Dublin: are very strong when they want to show up but again with a full compliment and settled defence I reckon we'll take'em

4/5 = Galway or Waterford: about level both can do well but both are libel to get hammered as well. Galway may just shade this now with the Portumna crowd back

6 Tipperary: They were lucky to beat Waterford the first day and are lucky to have any points at all given the way they've capitulated so often and easily. To be honest Cork and Limerick are probably better than them but it's hard to compare and contrast the different levels.

I would say any of the top 8 should have ambitions of reaching the AI the six that miss out should be very upset. Clare and Kilkenny would be the only two I would fancy for definite AI semi spots now.

Kil v Wat
    E Murphy
    P Murphy JJ Delaney J Holden
    B Kennedy J Tyrrell C Buckley
    P Walsh R Hogan
    W Walsh C Fennelly H Shefflin
    JJ Farrell M Kelly E Larkin
    Subs
    D Herity T Keogh M Walsh C Fogarty T Walsh B Hogan K Joyce L Ryan R Power TJ Reid A Fogarty Team Supplied by Kilkenny GAA Supporters Club
    Some team Waterford have their work cut out for them.

I'm happy with that team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Me too, but Tyrell at centre is definitely the really interesting thing. What do people think? I think it's worth a try.

Me too, but Tyrell at centre is definitely the really interesting thing. What do people think? I think it's worth a try.
    He has plenty of experience at centre back for the club and had a couple of league outings at number 6 in the past, definitely worth a try.

Great to see such a strong team without the likes of TJ Reid, R.Power, M.Fennelly and T.Walsh among others.

• Advertisement

Decent team but I cant see JJ Farrell starting come championship time. Im wondering whats Codys thinking in playing him every game. Where is Ger Aylward actually? Jackie at Centre Back is certainly worth a try

Will Holden swap with Kennedy from the start? don't really see him as a corner back, put M.Fennelly in midfield and Hogan up front instead of Farrell and you'd have a pretty decent championship team there.

I expect JJ to be a bit rusty and it might take him a while to get up to pace so I hope we wont have people retiring him if that happens, I know it's not his preferred position but with his hurling brain and ability to read the game he's prob still the best FB we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭randd1

I'd have rather seen Richie Power instead of Larkin in the corner to see how he went, and also use his pace as a goal and chance creation threat that Larkin just doesn't have any more.

But yeah, I'm happy with that side, it's a side still capable of getting the two points but still with an experimental look to it for the greater challenges ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭ttowncat

Agree that Jackie could have a very strong role at centre back. We have to address the legs on the team this year, especially with the way Clare and Cork have brought the game into agility, speed and short passing. I think Tommy's day has come, Lar tried to exploit his movement in 2011 but went about it the wrong way, Sutcliffe two years ago in League in nowlan park ran all over the place and it paid off. Last week I think he even struggled to get away from the pack and clear ball(acknowledging that Parnell park is ridiculously tight)

Teams are not gonna try take on KK aerially of physically, we could see plenty of 2 man full forward lines if we've any slow lads back there, with that in mind I'd like to see a new faster championship team

Murphy
    Murphy JJ Kennedy
    Lester Jackie Buckley
    PWalsh Fennelly
    Walter Colin TJ/Rice
    RHogan MKelly Shefflin/Larkin

Questions to be answered: JJ nimble enough at the back?
    Brian Kennedy learn his trade in time?
    The form of Rice, Power, MFennelly?
    Who's gonna win our puck outs?didn't look likely against Dublin(could be the floodlights though)

I think there's only room for Shefflin or Larkin- Shefflin edges it for me on free taking, larkin doesn't seem to be as 'assassin' like in front of goals over the past year-he just seems to be picking up ball and lumping it forward.

Tommy, Brian Hogan and Joyce- Great if teams are pucking the ball down on top of them but not if they're being ran at and turned or following forwards into unorthodox positions.

I think it's a pity Dalton isn't still about if JJ's feet aren't up to it.

any of our forwards can play anywhere and I hope TJ bulks up and doesn't get muscled out of it as much(don't think he's a corner man)

riskiest thing about my team above is the brand new half back line(No team can have any doubts there)

regards JJ Farrell- He could be in there for ball-winning and vision, plenty of winning teams have had a lad like that up front- John Power, John Hoyne, Timmy macCarthy, Bonner Maher... But I expect him to lose out to the other 6 or 7 all stars

ttowncat wrote: »
    Agree that Jackie could have a very strong role at centre back. We have to address the legs on the team this year, especially with the way Clare and Cork have brought the game into agility, speed and short passing. I think Tommy's day has come, Lar tried to exploit his movement in 2011 but went about it the wrong way, Sutcliffe two years ago in League in nowlan park ran all over the place and it paid off. Last week I think he even struggled to get away from the pack and clear ball(acknowledging that Parnell park is ridiculously tight)

Teams are not gonna try take on KK aerially of physically, we could see plenty of 2 man full forward lines if we've any slow lads back there, with that in mind I'd like to see a new faster championship team

Murphy
    Murphy JJ Kennedy
    Lester Jackie Buckley
    PWalsh Fennelly
    Walter Colin TJ/Rice
    RHogan MKelly Shefflin/Larkin

Questions to be answered: JJ nimble enough at the back?
    Brian Kennedy learn his trade in time?
    The form of Rice, Power, MFennelly?
    Who's gonna win our puck outs?didn't look likely against Dublin(could be the floodlights though)

I think there's only room for Shefflin or Larkin- Shefflin edges it for me on free taking, larkin doesn't seem to be as 'assassin' like in front of goals over the past year-he just seems to be picking up ball and lumping it forward.

Tommy, Brian Hogan and Joyce- Great if teams are pucking the ball down on top of them but not if they're being ran at and turned or following forwards into unorthodox positions.

I think it's a pity Dalton isn't still about if JJ's feet aren't up to it.

any of our forwards can play anywhere and I hope TJ bulks up and doesn't get muscled out of it as much(don't think he's a corner man)

riskiest thing about my team above is the brand new half back line(No team can have any doubts there)

regards JJ Farrell- He could be in there for ball-winning and vision, plenty of winning teams have had a lad like that up front- John Power, John Hoyne, Timmy macCarthy, Bonner Maher... But I expect him to lose out to the other 6 or 7 all stars

I mentioned something myself there previously about Tommys legs for the backs being gone but he most certainly has all the hurling left in him still. The forwards would be his place I think. I agree with you there on Hogan. Joyce still hard to know where he is at but definately he suffers severely from a lack of pace.

John Dalton wont be back, its a pity

I like that team you have there but Lester Ryan half back is risky I would say. Based on your team I wouuld Padraig Walsh back there and put Rice into midfield as Michael Fennellys partner. The forwards then, I would definately add Tommy in there as an option. Eoin Larkins day has come and gone I think, I reckon he is no longer up to the task. JJ Farrell is there too and whilst he is good, I dont think he brings enough to the table and is missing that little something. He goes missing for far too long in games. Would rather someone like John Power who did very well last week up until he went off injured. Ger Aylward is another option there, brings pace and power

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement