Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

ya could really argue all day who is going to be picked. Id say with a fully fit team, we have the best depth in our squad then any other in the country. we could field a second team and still be very competitive. Im not going to post my team as I'll leave Cody and co. with that headache :p . I just wouldn't be able to. I really hope we beat Clare at some point this year. Its a pity we never got to meet them last year. I said it before the league and I still stand by it, that this championship has to be the most open one from the start in a long time. I still think that Kilkenny will win it but any of division 1a can will Liam this year with the exception of Waterford. I can't wait till June 7th!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

EIRE1922 wrote: »
    I am not talking about in Thurles!

You are grasping at straws there like all Tipperary do!

You said they had a poor home record which I pulled you up on, now you are either talking through your hole or you have decided to move the goalposts when you realised you were wrong??

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭EIRE1922

You said they had a poor home record which I pulled you up on, now you are either talking through your hole or you have decided to move the goalposts when you realised you were wrong??

'Read' what I wrote you thick muppet!

I replied to the other person that, no Tipp did not in general have a good 'recent' home record. I never said between Tipperary and Kilkenny alone in Thurles when you butted in. Then I mentioned recent head to heads between the two counties in general. I never said head to head in 'Thurles'. I meant between the two recently, be it Thurles, Nowlan Park or Croke Park.

You will find that in recent meetings it is Tipp's one win in 2010!

So read it right next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭droppingball

What are peoples thoughts on centre back? Does Brian Hogan have the legs for it? Does Jackie hold the centre well enough? People suggesting Mick Fennelly and TJ surely this is madness? Are there any other options?

Centre back is my biggest worry, other than that I think we are ok barring JJ getting hamstring trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

EIRE1922 - No, I didn't mean Brian Hogan. I said R Hogan and if you had any doubt, I did mention midfield - certainly wouldn't consider Brian for midfield!!!

With regards to your team - I feel Jackie's days in the corner are over. You mention Henry's lack of pace, yet you have a half back line clearly lacking in pace.
    I would love to see Rice back playing at his best but that's highly unlikely considering we haven't seen him throughout the whole league. The half forward line has to be Walter, C Fen and TJ, all big men with pace, great at catching and scoring. Richie Hogan too small for wing forward but would be terrific at corner forward. Larkin at best in the full forward line but on current form Mark Kelly has to start ahead of him.

Brian Kennedy, P Walsh and C Buckley will be certain starters, in my opinion.

• Advertisement

What are peoples thoughts on centre back? Does Brian Hogan have the legs for it? Does Jackie hold the centre well enough? People suggesting Mick Fennelly and TJ surely this is madness? Are there any other options?

Centre back is my biggest worry, other than that I think we are ok barring JJ getting hamstring trouble.

Brain Hogan fully fit, there are no fears in the position. Unless he goes off form altogether for championship. He is generally solid centre back! He has plenty left in the tank.

Very difficult to know who to pick at centre back but I would go with Jackie for now. What about Holden?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

OK lads the joking is over it is time to settle on our championship team, Assuming a fully fit panel here's mine,
    E Murphy
    P Murphy JJ Delaney Brian Kennedy,
    T Walsh J Tyrell C Buckley
    M Fennelly P Walsh
    Waltar Walsh C Fennelly TJ Reid
    John Power M Kelly Henry Shefflin

No Richie Hogan?

Are you sh!tting me?

Grats wrote: »
    EIRE1922 - No, I didn't mean Brian Hogan. I said R Hogan and if you had any doubt, I did mention midfield - certainly wouldn't consider Brian for midfield!!!

With regards to your team - I feel Jackie's days in the corner are over. You mention Henry's lack of pace, yet you have a half back line clearly lacking in pace.
    I would love to see Rice back playing at his best but that's highly unlikely considering we haven't seen him throughout the whole league. The half forward line has to be Walter, C Fen and TJ, all big men with pace, great at catching and scoring. Richie Hogan too small for wing forward but would be terrific at corner forward. Larkin at best in the full forward line but on current form Mark Kelly has to start ahead of him.

Brian Kennedy, P Walsh and C Buckley will be certain starters, in my opinion.

The break from last years championship exit should freshen up any tired Kilkenny legs. Otherwise, if they have tired legs again this year, well then it is time for some of them to step aside and let the younger lads come in.

I get what you are saying. You would nearly feel like starting a few of the younger lads like Mark Kelly, Brian Kennedy, Pádraig Walsh, T.J. Reid and Cillian Buckley who have better pace, but it is often hard to beat experience.

Sure, we will know soon enough against Galway in the league semi and maybe a league final against Clare. Then in the first round of the Leinster against Offaly where some players stand. Then again it might not be until we play Galway in Leinster and if we win against Dublin the Leinster Final when they really get tested for pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Thurles is more central for everybody to arrive by car or by train. Bar the only thing is it gives Tipperary a home advantage (which in their case often means feck all). But, it suits Clare, Galway and Kilkenny to play there.
    Tipp have lost a whoping 2 of the last 14 competitive games they have played in Semple Stadium, a shocking record indeed!

Clare, Galway and North Tipp fans would all be coming in to thurles via the one road and it most certainly would not suit everyone, Limerick is far more convenient for both Galway and Clare.
    Tipperary have a poor home record.

Thurles in central for all 4 counties!
    Poor and central are clearly two words you dont have a great grasp on!
    Well how is Limerick central so to all four counties?

Tipp have a 'poor' record.

Certainly against Kilkenny in the past 13-14 meetings between the two! That is what you call 'Poor'!:D
    Again you are wrong, in the last 14 meetings in Semple Stadium Tipp have won 8 KK 5 and a draw in 2009, which KK won after ET.

I would say that record would compare favourably to any other county that has met KK as often as we have.
    I am not talking about in Thurles! You are grasping at straws there like all Tipperary people do!

Count the recent big head to head games and come back to me with your figures!

You will find it is Kilkenny 11 or 12 wins to Tipperary's 1 win!?
    'Read' what I wrote you thick muppet!

I replied to the other person that, no Tipp did not in general have a good 'recent' home record. I never said between Tipperary and Kilkenny alone in Thurles when you butted in. Then I mentioned recent head to heads between the two counties in general. I never said head to head in 'Thurles'. I meant between the two recently, be it Thurles, Nowlan Park or Croke Park.

You will find that in recent meetings it is Tipp's one win in 2010!

So read it right next time!

@EIRE1922
    What are you on about?
    You said that Tipp have a poor home record. Premierstone called you up on this. You then decided that you weren't talking about their home record, but just when Tipp play KK outside Thurles.

• Advertisement

The break from last years championship exit should freshen up any tired Kilkenny legs. Otherwise, if they have tired legs again this year, well then it is time for some of them to step aside and let the younger lads come in.

I get what you are saying. You would nearly feel like starting a few of the younger lads like Mark Kelly, Brian Kennedy, Pádraig Walsh, T.J. Reid and Cillian Buckley who have better pace, but it is often hard to beat experience.

Sure, we will know soon enough against Galway in the league semi and maybe a league final against Clare. Then in the first round of the Leinster against Offaly where some players stand. Then again it might not be until we play Galway and if we win against Dublin the Leinster Final when they really get tested for pace.

Yep, I just don't think experience will do but as you say, the lads may be more refreshed this year. I agree, it might take until the Leinster campaign to know for sure how we'll go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

There was a piece on D.J Carey on nationwide this evening if anyone is interested they could catch up on the rte player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

Whatever about the remainder of the league, I think Cody would surely know his best side as it is as the man has been around too long not to, and will use the remainder of the league, whether its one or two games, to experiment with guys in different positions in tough game(s).

If I was to pick a team for the Offaly game in June, presuming none are injured: I'd go with:

Eoin Murphy,
    Paul Murphy, J.J. Delaney, Brian Kennedy
    Joey Holden, Jackie Tyrrell, Kieran Joyce,
    Michael Fennelly, Michael Rice,
    Walter Walsh, Colin Fennelly, TJ Reid,
    Richie Power, Mark Kelly, Richie Hogan.

Its not a slight on others, but I think that setup has speed in defense (especially Murphy and Kennedy in the corners to force lads away from goal) it would be well worth a look.

Up front the different attacking styles would be certainly worth a look. Reid's creativity, Colin's pace through the centre, Walter's pace and power, Richie Power's aerial ability and pace, Kelly's directness and Hogan's ability to drift into space and setup runners.

I think Offaly at home would be a great chance to try out an untested side in the championship for the Galway game, as I don't see us losing to Offaly in the summer. And if that side started, we could arguably have the most serious bench to call upon since ourselves in 2008.

randd1 wrote: »
    Whatever about the remainder of the league, I think Cody would surely know his best side as it is as the man has been around too long not to, and will use the remainder of the league, whether its one or two games, to experiment with guys in different positions in tough game(s).

If I was to pick a team for the Offaly game in June, presuming none are injured: I'd go with:

Eoin Murphy,

Its not a slight on others, but I think that setup has speed in defense (especially Murphy and Kennedy in the corners to force lads away from goal) it would be well worth a look.

Up front the different attacking styles would be certainly worth a look. Reid's creativity, Colin's pace through the centre, Walter's pace and power, Richie Power's aerial ability and pace, Kelly's directness and Hogan's ability to drift into space and setup runners.

I think Offaly at home would be a great chance to try out an untested side in the championship for the Galway game, as I don't see us losing to Offaly in the summer. And if that side started, we could arguably have the most serious bench to call upon since ourselves in 2008.

I agree with most of the above. At this moment in time, going on current form, I would have Buckley instead of Joyce and P Walsh instead of Rice. Plenty of time for players to move up the pecking order. Whatever 15 start we're going to need lots of back up, which we appear to have. Cody has used the League wisely, out of necessity perhaps, and while Tommy and a few other "oldies" look to be off the pace I think it is part of the overall plan. They will be called on and I have no doubt they'll be ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

randd1 wrote: »

Eoin Murphy,

Well certainly I would have Buckley in one of the half back positions and I certainly think Padraig Walsh has done more than enough to cement his starting place for the Championship. Michael Rice is a class act but we have yet to see him this season with the exception of a challenge game against WIT which doesnt really count as such so its hard to know where he is at in terms of form and fitness. But yes a fully fit Michael Rice should probably be in there without a doubt but he hasnt gotten the games yet so at this moment in time, Padraig Walsh would be my choice to partner Fennelly. If I was to leave Rice there, Id move Padraig Walsh back into one of the half back positions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

No Richie Hogan?

Are you sh!tting me?

Here here, one of the best stickmen in the land by far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I see the Westmeath hurlers have got Martin Fogarty as their new coach...

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Well certainly I would have Buckley in one of the half back positions and I certainly think Padraig Walsh has done more than enough to cement his starting place for the Championship. Michael Rice is a class act but we have yet to see him this season with the exception of a challenge game against WIT which doesnt really count as such so its hard to know where he is at in terms of form and fitness. But yes a fully fit Michael Rice should probably be in there without a doubt but he hasnt gotten the games yet so at this moment in time, Padraig Walsh would be my choice to partner Fennelly. If I was to leave Rice there, Id move Padraig Walsh back into one of the half back positions

I agree entirely. In fact I saw M Rice in that WIT game and he was superb on the evening. It was great to see him in such form but unfortunately he picked up an injury in the meantime and we haven't seen him since. If we don't see him line out with Carrickshock on the weekend after next we may have to plan without him. Hope to see John Power back in action then also.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭usualstripes

OK lads the joking is over it is time to settle on our championship team, Assuming a fully fit panel here's mine,
    E Murphy
    T Walsh J Tyrell C Buckley
    M Fennelly P Walsh
    Waltar Walsh C Fennelly TJ Reid
    John Power M Kelly Henry Shefflin

Assuming theres a fully fit panel i would go with the following........

E Murphy
    K Joyce M Fennelly C Buckley
    M Rice P Walsh
    Walter Walsh C Fennelly TJ Reid
    Richie Power M Kelly R Hogan

If we werent breaking through in the forwards i would place M Fennelly at midfield and use his attacking ability. At the minute Jackie is not the man for centre back and Fennelly would shore up the half back line no end. We have the options also of bringing Richie Hogan out around the middle, Larkin, Shefflin and John Power can play in any one of the six forward positions. Dont forget taggy for a half forward line position. Our problems at the minute are the half back line. I certainly wouldnt rule out tommy walsh to claim a place there. To me we just need to settle things down here but i dont think jackie isthe answer. Hope he proves me wrong though. Lester is really after being played off the team as he has won player of the league last year at midfield but hasnt played there in the league this year. He is not a centre back because he wont mark his man. He is a midfielder full stop and if he gets a chance there he will conme good for us but at the minute padraig walsh is ahead of him.
    We have two fast corner backs in murphy and kennedy who jj will have confidence in.
    If M Fennelly was centre back lads wont go through the middle leaving it up to long balls in on top of jj because our corner backs should be able to win most 50/50 balls. This is providing Joyceat 5 and Buckley at 7 can hold their own. Dont forget we have tommy, jackie, joey and fogarty to come in there if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Despite Ritchie Hogan's league displays this year I just do not believe he is a championship midfielder. He was tried there last year and and it did not work out for him. His best position is corner forward if he is to make the starting 15. No one is taking from his ability or demeaning his skill and artistry but Michael Fennely, Michael Rice, Padraigh Walsh and Lester Ryan are more natural midfielders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kkid

@SavannahKat, would disagree wholeheartedly. I think this year he has shown himself to be a better option than Lester anyway. He played there this year all season bar 1 game an Centre Forward. To me I think he has to start and the further from goal he is the more inluential purely for his work rate and delivery of quality ball to a full forward lien with any space.

Despite Ritchie Hogan's league displays this year I just do not believe he is a championship midfielder. He was tried there last year and and it did not work out for him. His best position is corner forward if he is to make the starting 15. No one is taking from his ability or demeaning his skill and artistry but Michael Fennely, Michael Rice, Padraigh Walsh and Lester Ryan are more natural midfielders.

Yes you're very correct in my opinion. I do think it is unfair to. Hogan if he is picked at midfield come the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭mercury16

The main things Cody had to consider when picking the teams for the league were;
    1) Be competitive, i.e. don't just put all newcomers on the team who haven’t played inter-county for any period.
    2) Try as many newcomers as possible, and give them a fair crack at it, a couple of games.
    3) Try not to get relegated, if possible.
    4) Build leaders.... have the middl'n experienced players act as a leaders around the younger guys...e.g. Richie Hogan, Paul Murphy, TJ Reid, Colin Fennelly, so that the middlin leaders can be relied on ever more to lead the team forward, during the summer.
    5)Build more experience at inter-county level for the middlin to senior players...play them out of position - Tyrell at centre back, R Hogan at midfield, l Ryan at Centreback, B Hogan at full back (note at intercounty level), Joyce at full and centre back.
    I would say he has done all of the above.

I thought last Sunday at the Wexford game that although he has to give the more experienced players game time to get them back into it, the team against Wexford was far too strong. A much lesser starting side would have won it, and the experienced players could have come on if needed. I know he had a couple of bigger names who hadn’t hurled in awhile and maybe needed game time, but he needs to develop the younger guys more.
    There is one maybe two games left in the league. Do KK have to play in both or would one do? The reasons being, if he wants to play in both he has to play a stronger side against Galway. To meet either Tipp or Clare in the final. If its Tipp in the final he will automatically play a strong side as he will not allow Tipp to beat him. If it’s Clare he could play a weaker side again. So you could end up playing the stronger lads again and again...which is not what we want.

I would play a weaker side against Galway than what he picked for the Wexford game.

Herrity
    Murphy; Joyce; Kennedy
    Buckley/L Ryan; Tyrell; Holden
    P Walsh; L Ryan/R Power
    C Fennelly; M Fennelly; W Walsh
    JJ Farrell ; H Shefflin; M Kelly

Subs:
    E Murphy
    C Fogarty
    JJ Delaney
    T Walsh
    E Larkin
    TJ Reid
    R Power
    R Hogan
    B Hogan
    Taggy Fogarty

If Buckley is fit he plays, if not L Ryan plays wing back and R Power plays midfield. R Hogan has shown he’s fit already and another game won’t necessarily improve himas much as it would Richie P.
    I’d potentially rotate the two Fennellys so that Colin is playing on Iarla Tannion, which is a tough ask for him, and Micks running from centre forward will create chances in the full forward line.
    Galway will be a tough match, by playing the weaker side the KK guys are getting the experience, when you play a stronger side the Galway guys get the experience.
    Plenty artillery on the bench to bring on if needed.
    If we want to win it, then we only need to do so by a few points.
    Shefflin needs to play full forward and needs to start coaching the two newcomers beside him, especially Kelly on the art of scoring goals, positioning, where to stand and how to read what Shefflin is going to do. Henry hasn’t the legs for half forward anymore....
    If John Power was fit i’d have him playing corner instead of JJ Farrell.
    By bringing on the younger lads in the tough games, with pressure to win, they develop quicker to challenge the older guys for places later in the year and thereby drive overall improvement and hunger compared with last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭BQQ

Kkid wrote: »
    @SavannahKat, would disagree wholeheartedly. I think this year he has shown himself to be a better option than Lester anyway. He played there this year all season bar 1 game an Centre Forward. To me I think he has to start and the further from goal he is the more inluential purely for his work rate and delivery of quality ball to a full forward lien with any space.

+1

It's no coincidence that we're scoring more goals this year. his delivery into the forwards is top class.
    One of the smartest, most skillful players in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭earlytobed

The really positive thing is that Cody has choices in nearly every position (full back excepted), something he didn't last year. With matches coming against Galway, hopefully a league final and Offaly, the picture will be clearer in June. The competition for places already seems to have some of the older players playing better.
    Hats off to Cody, he has used the games in the league very well

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

Hey lads (and Belles) great to have this as I was lost without the Stripey Men/ K Cats site. I sense that the hunger is back this year in a big way and the squad is looking really strong if we can avoid the injuries.
    Some headache for the selectors, for me if they are fit the following have to play - the 2 Murphy's, JJ, Jackie, Buckley, P Walsh, 2 Fennellys, Richie Hogan, Richie Power, TJ, Walter and Henry with two places up for grabs. I like Richie Hogan in centre field with Mick Fennelly but otherwise we are spoilt for choice at the moment with lads like Rice, Larks,Tommy, Joyce, Brian Hogan, Lester and Taggy chomping at the bit and Mark Kelly looking a stronger prospect than some of the fringe forwards who fell off the panel in the last few years.
    Kennedy and Holden could add a bit of much needed pace.
    When I was home at Xmas it was all doom and gloom but now This looks like a squad that is getting back towards the depth we had five years ago. I am looking forward to the next few months with a confidence that we will be very competitive. Keep posting everyone, it's great to keep us ould exiles in touch!

Hey lads (and Belles) great to have this as I was lost without the Stripey Men/ K Cats site. I sense that the hunger is back this year in a big way and the squad is looking really strong if we can avoid the injuries.
    Some headache for the selectors, for me if they are fit the following have to play - the 2 Murphy's, JJ, Jackie, Buckley, P Walsh, 2 Fennellys, Richie Hogan, Richie Power, TJ, Walter and Henry with two places up for grabs. I like Richie Hogan in centre field with Mick Fennelly but otherwise we are spoilt for choice at the moment with lads like Rice, Larks,Tommy, Joyce, Brian Hogan, Lester and Taggy chomping at the bit and Mark Kelly looking a stronger prospect than some of the fringe forwards who fell off the panel in the last few years.
    Kennedy and Holden could add a bit of much needed pace.
    When I was home at Xmas it was all doom and gloom but now This looks like a squad that is getting back towards the depth we had five years ago. I am looking forward to the next few months with a confidence that we will be very competitive. Keep posting everyone, it's great to keep us ould exiles in touch!

Well ould exile, you're well in touch judging by your post above. At present Mark Kelly would have to be a certain starter. He has done everything that was asked of him and I think the summer underfoot conditions will suit him even better. Kennedy hasn't had much game time yet but I think he has what it takes. After all he did get on the 2013 under 21 team of the year. P Walsh and Buckley shaping up too. A real bonus is that the likes of C Fen, Wally, TJ and R Hogan look refreshed. Remember it was from midfield up that let us down last year. And that was understandable for various reasons. Think whatever happens in the rest of our league campaign we can look forward to the championship with a certain confidence. Cody has a huge amount of work done already.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭droppingball

It seems to me that Cody is starting to pick his strongest team and trying to get the old guard some game time. It strikes me that he is starting Joey Holden ahead of Brian Kenneddy. I am hoping Kenneddy will start the next day and that he is not being fazed out for a roll on the bench for the year. He would be a certain starter at corner back for me.

Any word on Walters ankle /JJs hamstring?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kkid

I would say all of the below have to start.

Eoin Murphy
    Paul Murphy
    JJ Delaney
    M Fennelly
    R Hogan
    C Fennelly

From there you are looking at 9 other places. At the moment Jackie is playing well in Centre Back but still have a feeling Cody is up to something, something is being hidden in plain sight.

Personally in the Galway game I would like to see:

Eoin Murphy
    Brian Kennedy
    JJ Delaney
    Joey Holden
    Conor Fogarty
    Jackie Tyrell
    Cillian Buckley
    Padraig Walsh
    Richie Hogan
    Walter Walsh
    Colin Fennelly
    TJ Reid
    Richie Power
    Mark Kelly
    Eoin Larkin

I think we go strong as possible and give 2 or 3 players their chance to play themselves onto (or off) the team. I think TJ needs to start to keep his confidence up. I think a few players would be looking at their last chance and a strong team will show the weaknesses in the team there. From that you have Paul Murphy, Tommy Walsh, Brian Hogan, Mick Fennelly, Aidan Fogarty, Henry Shefflin, Lester Ryan and JJ Farrell to play with from the bench. I’d be happy to see that team or variations similar to this vs Galway and we can learn about a few lads.

Any word on Walters ankle /JJs hamstring?

Heard Walter should be training again next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

May all the Gods in Heaven look down tomorrow and Bless the CBS.

The very best of luck to both teams!

Amen!

@EIRE1922
    What are you on about?
    You said that Tipp have a poor home record. Premierstone called you up on this. You then decided that you weren't talking about their home record, but just when Tipp play KK outside Thurles.

Read what I wrote! I was not on about head to heads between Tipperary and Kilkenny in Thurles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Read what I wrote! I was not on about head to heads between Tipperary and Kilkenny in Thurles!
    In fairness, it's not clear what you were on about. You started by saying it was worth 'feck all' to Tipp to have home advantage, which was demonstrably untrue, then you started talking about Tipp V Kilkenny, in general, in recent years, which is totally irrelevant to your initial point that the matches should be in Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭mercury16

Is Richie Hogan being tried as a midfileder so that he can be a third midfielder if needs be ? Althernatively maybe the side are going to play more of a direct passing game which Hogan does better than the other midfielders.

Shefflin and Mick Fennelly haven't played much intercounty in the last 18 months (were hardly on the field last summer) so would give them game time. Richie Hogan could come out off.
    Holden is a far better half back than corner back.

• Advertisement

Yes, I was saying the games should be in Thurles.

Tipperary do have a poor record in big championship/league games in Thurles (against any team). And recent head to heads against Kilkenny (any grounds)!

You clearly cannot read. So just leave it!

mercury16 wrote: »
    Is Richie Hogan being tried as a midfileder so that he can be a third midfielder if needs be ? Althernatively maybe the side are going to play more of a direct passing game which Hogan does better than the other midfielders

Richie Hogan needs to be played in the forwards for his scoring ability. He is not big and physical enough for midfield against stronger teams. He struggled there in 2012 against Galway. He has played well at midfield in the league, but League and Championship are different. Championship it gets more physical. More at stake.

Michael Fennelly and Michael Rice fully fit should get the midfield spots.

mercury16 wrote: »
    Is Richie Hogan being tried as a midfileder so that he can be a third midfielder if needs be ? Althernatively maybe the side are going to play more of a direct passing game which Hogan does better than the other midfielders.

Shefflin and Mick Fennelly haven't played much intercounty in the last 18 months (were hardly on the field last summer) so would give them game time. Richie Hogan could come out off.
    Holden is a far better half back than corner back.

He will not play a third midfielder. If anything it would fall to Tommy Walsh to act as a sweeper like he normally does when back to form. Kieran Joyce on the other wing doing likewise if needs be.

Cody will start Henry. I would stick him in at full-forward though as he has loss a good yard or two in pace. A good chance maybe for Mark Kelly to come in.

Richie Hogan needs to be played in the forwards for his scoring ability. He is not big and physical enough for midfield against stronger teams. He struggled there in 2012 against Galway. He has played well at midfield in the league, but League and Championship are different. Championship it gets more physical. More at stake.

Michael Fennelly and Michael Rice fully fit should get the midfield spots.

I agree with this, the day of the small midfielder seems to be gone with Cha Fitz. That's unfortunate, but anyway, Richie has an eye for scores, which actually hurts him in midfield because he is shooting poorly from such distance. Much prefer him closer in. he's playing excellently though.

And recent head to heads against Kilkenny (any grounds)!

You clearly cannot read. So just leave it!

No I can read just fine, I'm not sure what their head to heads against Kilkenny have to do with where the League semis should be though. But I'm happy to leave it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I'm torn on the Richie Hogan for midfield or not, I too like Richie as close to goal as possible with his excellent vision allied to his ability to find the net himself.

Having said that he has performed excellently there throughout the league and as someone said in an earlier post his and P. Walsh's quality ball into the forwards has created a lot of goal chances.

I suppose the exciting thing for Kilkenny supporters is the quality of the panel this year as a result of all the new players that got their chance in this league.

Charlie69 wrote: »
    I'm torn on the Richie Hogan for midfield or not, I too like Richie as close to goal as possible with his excellent vision allied to his ability to find the net himself.

Having said that he has performed excellently there throughout the league and as someone said in an earlier post his and P. Walsh's quality ball into the forwards has created a lot of goal chances.

I suppose the exciting thing for Kilkenny supporters is the quality of the panel this year as a result of all the new players that got their chance in this league.

That is Cody's headache. Who to start from the strong panel we have this year.

Richie Hogan needs to play in the half forward line. Michael Fennelly and Michael Rice if both fit, for the midfield.

I agree with this, the day of the small midfielder seems to be gone with Cha Fitz. That's unfortunate, but anyway, Richie has an eye for scores, which actually hurts him in midfield because he is shooting poorly from such distance. Much prefer him closer in. he's playing excellently though.

Spot on! He was poor against Galway at midfield in 2012 up against the bigger man in the drawn game. Kilkenny need his scores up front more than his passing from midfield as he is in the league. See how he goes again against Galway maybe at midfield in the league semi. For the Championship he needs to be at right or left half forward.

Big Wally up front has be a huge difference. Looks like he will come through as a big star for Kilkenny in the forward line this year and hopefully for some years yet to come!

Spot on! He was poor against Galway at midfield in 2012 up against the bigger man in the drawn game. Kilkenny need his scores up front more than his passing from midfield as he is in the league. See how he goes again against Galway maybe at midfield in the league semi. For the Championship he needs to be at right or left half forward.

Big Wally up front has be a huge difference. Looks like he will come through as a big star for Kilkenny in the forward line this year and hopefully for some years yet to come!
    Wally is fantastic in periods but can go in and out of games a lot. But yeah he'll probably be a starter against Offaly, at a guess.

To be honest all of the discussion of the forwards and midfield is one thing (there seems to be an assumption that Mick Fennelly will slot right in, which I'd like to see him get some game time before jumping to that conclusion), but I'm much more concerned about centre back. Brian Hogan might well come good but he's done nothing this year to suggest he'll be able to do a job there. Hopefully it's just early season stuff but he is frequently caught out of position or getting turned this year. I'm worried about that position because I don't like Jackie there either, and Lester Ryan has been serviceable but certainly not nailed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

On the Richie Hogan debate, hard to know where to put him but it is that understanding between him, TJ and Richie Power that we missed last year. Those three seem to find one another with these hand passes and over the shoulder offloads which takes the game to new level!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Get down to Nowlan Park for the Colleges final at 5 tomorrow between Kierans and CBS, arguably the biggest game in the history of the schools !! Should be a cracker. Hiems Transit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

C'mon C.B.S!! :)

3681368_orig.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Junior and senior titles would be nice..:D

I dunno if the cbs would really know how to respond to winning. The Kierans boys will be all set for the day off next week, they'll have the choir practice done. Don't ruin the big day cbs...Hon the college!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Really looking forward to the game, hon CBS!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement