Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Reminder: Willie and Eddie O'Connor on Laochra Gael tomorrow evening at 6.15pm- should be good, two characters!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Have to go to work just as the Kierans/CBS match starts. Another day trawling through various sites looking for an update while the boss's back is turned. My yankee co-workers are used to me at this stage following the crazy game where the guys belt each other with sticks. Most of them who never saw the game are mesmerized by it. Cant listen to it if I want to hold on to my job, life is unfair at times.
    Anyway i see Michael Rice played a full game with Carrickshock last week while Kilkenny were playing Wexford. Fair play to that man Cody who no doubt knew about it and thought it the best way to have him return.
    C'mon the CBS though it will be over and dusted with before I get the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I dunno if the cbs would really know how to respond to winning. The Kierans boys will be all set for the day off next week, they'll have the choir practice done. Don't ruin the big day cbs...Hon the college!

No need to worry your head bout that. We will respond just fine:D
    Anyways didn't we respond well last Sat.!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

No need to worry your head bout that. We will respond just fine:D
    Anyways didn't we respond well last Sat.!!!

On paper the cbs seem the stronger side to be fair, but of course only a fool would put money on the young lads. Anything can happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Have to go to work just as the Kierans/CBS match starts. Another day trawling through various sites looking for an update while the boss's back is turned. My yankee co-workers are used to me at this stage following the crazy game where the guys belt each other with sticks. Most of them who never saw the game are mesmerized by it. Cant listen to it if I want to hold on to my job, life is unfair at times.
    Anyway i see Michael Rice played a full game with Carrickshock last week while Kilkenny were playing Wexford. Fair play to that man Cody who no doubt knew about it and thought it the best way to have him return.
    C'mon the CBS though it will be over and dusted with before I get the result.

Up the CBS. Fingers crossed now for them I'm sure the Kierans boys wouldn't begrudge one to them!

Didn't hear a thing about Rice, hope it's the start of his comeback.

From this weeks Kilkenny People

While Michael Fennelly, who spent a number of months in Australia before and after Christmas, enjoyed some action in the quarter-finals against Wexford, former All-Star Michael Rice made a low key return elsewhere.

The Carrickshock man enjoyed a good 60 minute work-out when his club played Abbeyside (Waterford) in a challenge match on Sunday evening. The St Kieran’s College teacher, who has been dogged by muscle injuries since the start of the year, lined out at midfield and enjoyed some action at centre-forward also.

“He looked good,” Carrickshock manager, Maurice Power said. “He needed a match, but he came through it well. He was grand afterwards.”

From this weeks Kilkenny People

While Michael Fennelly, who spent a number of months in Australia before and after Christmas, enjoyed some action in the quarter-finals against Wexford, former All-Star Michael Rice made a low key return elsewhere.

The Carrickshock man enjoyed a good 60 minute work-out when his club played Abbeyside (Waterford) in a challenge match on Sunday evening. The St Kieran’s College teacher, who has been dogged by muscle injuries since the start of the year, lined out at midfield and enjoyed some action at centre-forward also.

“He looked good,” Carrickshock manager, Maurice Power said. “He needed a match, but he came through it well. He was grand afterwards.”

Great stuff. If any player deserves a break M Rice does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Great win for Kierans and very unlucky on the CBS. Another final defeat will be very hard to take but some excellent performers on both sides. Anyone know how many of them are still eligible for the Minor Team next year?

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Great win for Kierans and very unlucky on the CBS. Another final defeat will be very hard to take but some excellent performers on both sides. Anyone know how many of them are still eligible for the Minor Team next year?

Very entertaining game, I thought cbs were far the stronger team in the first half and Kierans were lucky not to be behind a bit (helped by an excellent full back line)

The second half goal was as rich of class that couldn't be blamed on anyone but it totally changed the game's momentum. Kierans up to then had struggled to take scores, repeatedly doing shots short. They owned their shoulders after that and really pulled away. Cbs will be in real pain knowing they were well prepared and well able to win today, and couldn't get it done. Well done to Kierans, the people saying they'd drop off after the boarding closed have long since been silenced.

The quality of the play by both sides bodes well for the future of the county team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭EIRE1922

Quite a good game. A great win at the end for Saint Kierans. They had good tradition of winning in finals to fall back on and inspire them. Well done to them!

Unfortunately it is another defeat for C.B.S! Maybe next year C.B.S. will do it.

hard to take that result as a CBS man. Now that i have forced myself to read the reports and have it over and done with in all graciousness I must congratulate Kierans but in doing so it dont make the result any easier to swallow.

After that result all I need now is for The Rower to beat the Boro next Sat make it a horrible week, ahh well that's life.

hard to take that result as a CBS man. Now that i have forced myself to read the reports and have it over and done with in all graciousness I must congratulate Kierans but in doing so it dont make the result any easier to swallow.

The only consolation is that a Kilkenny team won!

After that result all I need now is for The Rower to beat the Boro next Sat make it a horrible week, ahh well that's life.

How the Boro get on in this game will tell a lot about what to expect from them this year. It's a must win game if they are to push on finally.

The Shamrocks v Clara game should be a cracker. Shamrocks under new management and with the county players all in top form should be setting down a marker.

Your a Boro man, tell me this, whatever happened to yer man Eddie O Donoghue for who used to take the frees for yee? He was a very good hurler I remember him from a couple of years ago. He would still be in his twenties I believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

pmy.murphy wrote: »

Your a Boro man, tell me this, whatever happened to yer man Eddie O Donoghue for who used to take the frees for yee? He was a very good hurler I remember him from a couple of years ago. He would still be in his twenties I believe

Teaching in Dubai I believe

Any one at home have any thoughts on the first round of the senior championship games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Any one at home have any thoughts on the first round of the senior championship games.

Can someone also explain to me exactly how it works, someone attemted to explain it in the pub to me, we both agreed at the time it was a very good system but I can't for the life of me remember the finer details and it was pretty comlicated if I remember correctly. Cheers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

2 groups of 6, top 2 in each group are seeded in the 4 quarter finals. the other 8 play 1st round 3 v 4, 4 v 3, 5 v 6, 6 v 5, the 4 winners into quarter finals the loser of the 5 v 6 games in relegation final. it makes the whole thing very competitive.

Can someone also explain to me exactly how it works, someone attemted to explain it in the pub to me, we both agreed at the time it was a very good system but I can't for the life of me remember the finer details and it was pretty comlicated if I remember correctly. Cheers.

JOS has explained it pretty much on ball. I think it's a good system because it's highly competitive all the way through. You can be in a relegation semi-final and still wind up in the county final, as happened to the Boro two years ago. Also it means there's no tail on the senior championship, relegation is a real threat but teams coming up from intermediate aren't miles off the pace either.

• Advertisement

Ah no realt see what you want is a 32 club senior championship where at least (and I'm being generous) 24 teams have absolutely no hope of ever winning the bloody thing, oh yeah and up untill this year we had no relegation and any Intermediate team that felt like it could promote themselves!

On a serious note, yeah that system looks very good and there are no dead rubbers and its competitive all the way through.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

the fear of relegation really keeps it competitive premier. the intermediate is the very same 2 groups of 6 and anyone could win it or end up in a relegation final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭arch staunton

have 10e double on dicksboro 5/6 v rower
    and conahy 11/8 v Gowran

or break the bank for Shamrocks 8/15 v clara

Here are the first round senior games for this w/e -

Tullaroan v Carrickshock
    Dicksboro v Rower Inistioge
    James Stephens v Danesfort
    Fenians v Erins Own
    Clara v Ballyhale Shamrocks
    O'Loughlin Gaels v St Martins

My predictions are -

Carrickshock by 6 pts
    Dicksboro by 5 pts
    James Stephens by 3 pts
    Erins Own v Fenians a draw
    Shamrocks by 6pts
    St. Martins by 2pts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Great time of year for the club hurling man. Hard to know how teams will shape up for this weekend's games, you'd hear all sorts of stories about which teams have plenty done and those who are building it up slowly. Usually it works out the opposite of what you'd be listening to.

Carrickshock v Tullaroan - Hard to know what motivation will be like down Hugginstown way after another let down in last year's final. Tullaroan are shaping a nice young team and have some fine hurlers. Could be a close one. - Shocks by 3.

James Stephens v Danesfort - Reports suggest both sides could be without key players. You'd imagine the missing players would effect Danesfort more. - Village by 2

Comer v Fenians - This may well be the year when the Johnstown crew say goodbye to the senior grade. If they're to avoid a relegation battle these are the games they'll need to be winning. - Comer by 4

Boro v Rower - Fascinating tie and probably the most interesting of the weekend. After the previous year's efforts the Boro never rose above mediocre last year. They'll be mindful of starting this year's league in better fashion. Boro by 3.

Shamrocks v Clara - Shamrocks will want to lay down a marker here. The new Management team should have them flying. Clara face a tough year given hunger could be an issue but they're young enough to give it a rattle. You'd hope they've found a new full back to give them more solidity. - Ballyhale by 7

Muckalee v O'Loughlins - Possibly the hardest tie of the round to predict. Martins, as ever' mixed the good with the bad last year. But did show promise under Charlie Carter after a pretty insipid beginning to their league campaign. O'Loughlins younger players might show the benefit of having last seasons campaign behind them. - Loughlins by 1

The Intermediate Fixtures are as follows:

Young Irelands V Conahy Shamrocks
    Emeralds V Dunnamaggin
    St Patricks V Glenmore
    Mullinavat V St Lachtains
    Thomastown V Tullogher Rosbercon
    Graigue Ballycallan V Lisdowney

Predictions are:

Gowran by 1
    Dunnamaggin by 2
    Ballyragget by 6
    Mullinavat by 4
    Thomastown by 2
    Graigue Ballycallan by 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Result: Carrickshock 3-13 Tullaroan 2-13

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭junospider

result.comer 1.11. johnstown 0.8.
    2 poor teams.conor fogarty and jj best players on the field.

Tonights Results were:

Comer 1-11 0-8 Fenians
    The Rower 1-13 1-11 Dicksboro
    Village 0-18 1-10 Danesfort

Intermediate:

Gowran 1-15 0-10 Conahy
    Emeralds 2-13 2-7 Dunnamaggin

Great Result for the Rower on their return to Senior. The Scoreline was a bit more comfortable than it suggested only for a late rally from the Boro, Likewise from the Village who rallied in the 2nd half to beat Danesfort

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭droppingball

Was at the village and danesfort last night, poor enough fair in reality. Danesfort fought hard but they have a massive tail to there team, richie hogan might be better of at full forward for them. Just couldn't do it on his own from half forward, they have enough fight in them to survive howver, they will need to get paddy hogan back soon.

The village seem to lack quality up front but they will improve and ground it out.

Also attended thomastown and tullagher, this was a very stop start match which was poorly refereed, he went through phases of favouring both teams for periods it was bizarre. Stand out performers were Walter Walsh who scored 1 2 I think, unreal run big shoulder on defender and scored from the tightest of angles.

Thomas o Hanrahan gave an exhibition for thomastown with 1 5 all from play and that was on limited supply coming in.

All teams looking to find a balance and get players playing in best positions but great to have club action back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭dzer2

Was at the Martins O'loughlins game very poor fair altogether Martins were awful and never got to grips with the game after the first 10 mins and gave away 2 really soft goals and never recovered from the first one. Kelly was lively and look good other than that should have got my fiver back

Would any one know how Michael rice played( if he actually played) and ditto Cillian Buckley

Would any one know how Michael rice played( if he actually played) and ditto Cillian Buckley

M Rice did play and got better as game progressed. Looked quite sharp and eager. C Buckley lined out at number 7, moved out to midfield in second half and went on a few dashing runs from there, one of which led to a penalty. He seemed fine too. John Power did ok with Carrickshock, we hadn't seen him since he went off injured in Parnell Park. And apparently Wally did well with his club, remember he limped off in the Wexford game. M Fennelly scored goal and two points for Shamrocks.

Any ideas out there on who we should field next Sunday. I would go with
    E Murphy
    P Murphy JJ Delaney B Kennedy
    J Holden J Tyrell C Buckley
    M Fennelly M Rice
    W Walsh C Fennelly TJ Reid
    J Power M Kelly R Hogan

Any ideas out there on who we should field next Sunday. I would go with
    E Murphy
    P Murphy JJ Delaney B Kennedy
    J Holden J Tyrell C Buckley
    M Fennelly M Rice
    W Walsh C Fennelly TJ Reid
    J Power M Kelly R Hogan

P Walsh, Joyce & R Power could be considered but I would have no problem with your team.

Grats wrote: »
    P Walsh, Joyce & R Power could be considered but I would have no problem with your team.

Would have said the exact same. Still not gone on Tyrell at cb but we're basically just going to have to hope Hogan gets back to form there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

One thing that is p!ssing me off a little bit is the amount of lads writing off Jackie judging by championship team predictions.

Tyrell wasn't exactly poor last year.

One thing that is p!ssing me off a little bit is the amount of lads writing off Jackie judging by championship team predictions.

Tyrell wasn't exactly poor last year.

Not writing him off, just don't think he's right for centre back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Not writing him off, just don't think he's right for centre back.

God I wouldn't have him centre back either, but there's plenty who don't have him in their teams full stop.

• Advertisement

God I wouldn't have him centre back either, but there's plenty who don't have him in their teams full stop.

I think he will do fine at centre back. Have my doubts about corner back though.

It is not a matter of writing off any one. Before the year is out Tommy Walsh will remind people of just how great a player he is however for the moment we need to see B Kennedy, J holden along with J Power and M Kelly being given more game time in what will be a good test at as near championship pace as we will get this early in the year Developing the squad is still more important than settling on a final championship first fifteen..

It is not a matter of writing off any one. Before the year is out Tommy Walsh will remind people of just how great a player he is however for the moment we need to see B Kennedy, J holden along with J Power and M Kelly being given more game time in what will be a good test at as near championship pace as we will get this early in the year Developing the squad is still more important than settling on a final championship first fifteen..

Very true and while M Rice couldn't be up to speed yet he needs game time urgently. Hence he should start next Sun as suggested by you. Indeed M Fennelly is in the same boat. Had forgotten that JJ went off injured in the Wexford game but by all accounts he came through fine with the Fenians at the weekend.

Tommy Walsh is one of the greatest hurlers of all time, but to be honest he has been struggling for two years now, he still got awat with it to an extent through pure class and determination but the legs have been wilting since the league campaign of 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheBomber14

Tommy Walsh is one of the greatest hurlers of all time, but to be honest he has been struggling for two years now, he still got awat with it to an extent through pure class and determination but the legs have been wilting since the league campaign on 2012.

still better than any back tipp have

still better than any back tipp have

Mature! And what to fcuk it has to do with the KK starting 15 for Sunday is anyones guess :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

We should have an All Ireland Final as usual then two weeks later in the event that Kilkenny did not play Tipp in said final we should have al Kilkenny V Tipp match held on the Urlingford border just for local bragging rights. The craic would be mighty.Referee not needed or wanted.

Tommy Walsh has been struggling for two years - How enlightening!

Grats wrote: »
    Tommy Walsh has been struggling for two years - How enlightening!

Try read what I actually said. Right seen that you are so bitter and paranoid I'll spell it out for you, in the 2012 league campaign Tommy was well beaten by Noel McGrath, Maurice Shanahan and Cathal Naughton and absolutely destroyed by Danny Sutcliffe.

He came through this and Cody (understandably) showed faith in him and he had a reasonably solid championship but has not been his usual brillian self since, a fact reflected by his exclusion from teh last two all star teams despite having won one in the 9 previous years.

As you would so profoundly put it yourself, please 'enlighten' me as to what part of the above you disagree with?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheBomber14

Try read what I actually said. Right seen that you are so bitter and paranoid I'll spell it out for you, in the 2012 league campaign Tommy was well beaten by Noel McGrath, Maurice Shanahan and Cathal Naughton and absolutely destroyed by Danny Sutcliffe.

He came through this and Cody (understandably) showed faith in him and he had a reasonably solid championship but has not been his usual brillian self since, a fact reflected by his exclusion from teh last two all star teams despite having won one in the 9 previous years.

As you would so profoundly put it yourself, please 'enlighten' me as to what part of the above you disagree with?

premierstone has really shown himself up i think here. Hilarious statements about tommy walsh. I reckon we should ignore him for the forseeable future on every forum. He has all the hallmarks of a WUM/ troll.

premierstone has really shown himself up i think here. Hilarious statements about tommy walsh. I reckon we should ignore him for the forseeable future on every forum. He has all the hallmarks of a WUM/ troll.

Absolutely on the money and that's precisely why I drew him out. This is the very same poster who couldn't stay off this forum in the run up to our league game with Tipp and then disappeared until his county won a game or two!

He ought to concern himself with the many issues that O'Shea is trying to address with the Tipp panel.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement