Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    I dont think anyone on here gives a **** about our Minor team even though these lads are the future of our senior team as evidenced by the lack of response to your posts and my own previous posts but yes I agree with you there that Hoban has kept his cards close to his chest regarding who the panel are but there are a few still there from last year so hopefully they can give it a right good go this year and bring home a Minor All Ireland I think we are due. Dublin will be a good test for the young lads

I did mean to discuss the minor set up and was actively looking for info but failed to get any. Only thing I heard is that they're expected to be a good team! Very much looking forward to their first outing and will be at the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭Kilkennyfella

Grats wrote: »
    I did mean to discuss the minor set up and was actively looking for info but failed to get any. Only thing I heard is that they're expected to be a good team! Very much looking forward to their first outing and will be at the game.

Any sign of the Minor team? Just checked the Kilkenny GAA website and there is nothing up.
    Perhaps it is not been named until tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Talking to lads in the know about underage and development squads etc the general consensus is the minor will be between Limerick and KK this year, it will take a fair team to beat Limerick but as they say minors are funny fish and its all on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Formosa

trying ur best to undermine me here now in front of the other posters. We will see who is laughing after the league final, after u have to eat ur words, right after the kk backs eat the windy tipp forwards.

Are you dreading going back to school on Monday bomber?

Hope you have all the homework done...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

LEINSTER HURLING CHAMPIONSHIP
    KILKENNY v DUBLIN

Darren Brennan St. Lachtains
    Tommy Walsh Tullaroan
    Bill McDowell John Lockes
    Conor Delaney Erins Own
    Jason Cleere Bennettsbridge
    Darren Mullen Ballyhale Shamrocks
    Jack Keoghan Tullaroan
    Liam Blanchfield Bennettsbridge
    Darragh Joyce (Capt). Rower Inistioge
    Alan Murphy Glenmore
    Sean Morrissey Bennettsbridge
    Eoin Kenny Slieverue
    Cian O’Donoghue Tullogher Rosbercon
    John Walsh Mullinavat
    Ronan Corcoran Ballyhale Shamrocks
    Jason Barcoe Clara
    Conor Doheny Dicksboro
    Eoin Walsh Lisdowney
    Niall Walsh Windgap
    Andrew Gaffney Dicksboro
    Tadhg O’Dwyer James Stephens
    Robbie Donnelly Thomastown
    Conor Carroll Lisdowney
    Cian O Meara Thomastown

Pat Hoban in Kilkenny people
    While the Kilkenny panel is now together again, injuries will force some changes for Saturday’s game.
“We’ve sustained quite a few injuries,” the manager said. “From the lads who played last year Liam Hennessy will feature as he’s broken his collarbone. Luke Scanlon is out with a hamstring strain, Cathal McGrath will also be missing while Darragh Joyce hasn’t played hurling this year.”

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Just a warning, please keep the personal comments out of it, remember attack the post not the poster rule!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I don't think posters are suggesting Clare threw the match. Rather they didn't taper down in training for the days leading to the match; basically trained as normal and didn't give any real allowance to the match. The Clare lads has pace to burn which wasn't there on Sunday - that is probably due to the legs being tired rather than Clare having a bad day or Tipp hurled them out of it (which they did ).
    I dont think anyone on here gives a **** about our Minor team even though these lads are the future of our senior team as evidenced by the lack of response to your posts and my own previous posts but yes I agree with you there that Hoban has kept his cards close to his chest regarding who the panel are but there are a few still there from last year so hopefully they can give it a right good go this year and bring home a Minor All Ireland I think we are due. Dublin will be a good test for the young lads

Whatever about this forum, given the buzz around the colleges final, I'd say there'll be a reasonable attendance on Sat.
    I would imagine the prospects are good. Lot of the team have been training/playing at a high level since before Xmas with their schools.

I wonder what the make up of the team for the final will be. I would expect at least 7 changes from the starting 15 we put out in the league series which was,
    David Herity,
    Willie Phelan, Kieran Joyce, Brian Kennedy,
    Joey Holden, Brian Hogan, Tommy Walsh
    Lester Ryan, Padraig Walsh,
    Walter Walsh,Colin Fennelly, Henry Shefflin
    Jonjo Farrell, Mark Kelly, TJ Reid.

Injuries permitting I don't think there'll be many changes especially in the backs. I think Kennedy, Walsh (P) and Buckley will all play. These guys need as much big game experience as possible. Think Tayto will line out in MF. if there's a full squad Wally might be rested. If KK play their strongest selection, I expect them to win another humdinger by a few points.

• Advertisement

Very true, my hope would be though that last years relative failure for both teams has brought a little perspective to both camps and also they both realise now that they can't simply worry about each other exclusively, there is realistically 7 or 8 teams all capable of beating each other, another factor aswell is that there are even more of the old faces that will be missing, alot of the players involved weren't really part of that rivarly that built up and as you allude to spilt over at times, both on and off the pitch.

Ah come on lads it's hardly Israel/Palestine, Dublin/Meath...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Best of luck to the minors tomorrow. I think I see 5 of last years team Joyce Blanchfield Murphy Kenny and Walsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Id be disappointed if the minors didnt winthe all Ireland this year. Usually when a school wins the schools all ireland, the county team usually goes onto win. It happened when kierans won in 2010, when Nenagh won in 2012 and when Dungarvan won in 2013. So lets hope the management doesn't mess up as the talent is obviously there.

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Id be disappointed if the minors didnt winthe all Ireland this year. Usually when a school wins the schools all ireland, the county team usually goes onto win. It happened when kierans won in 2010, when Nenagh won in 2012 and when Dungarvan won in 2013. So lets hope the management doesn't mess up as the talent is obviously there.

More coincidence than anything to be honest. Schools hurling is u19 afaik and while in the St Kierans scenario id imagine a great bulk are from Kilkenny County and City, there is also the off chance that some of the players are from other counties. Cant really be used as a barometer.

Incidentally, what is the schools breakup of your minor team? How many St Kierans, CBS, Johnstown, Callan, etc are they?

Oh btw yere u21s play our u21s in a challenge in Grangemockler on May 11th to commemorate the opening of new dressing rooms and work done to Grangemockler/Ballyneale clubhouse. Throw in at half 6

More coincidence than anything to be honest. Schools hurling is u19 afaik and while in the St Kierans scenario id imagine a great bulk are from Kilkenny County and City, there is also the off chance that some of the players are from other counties. Cant really be used as a barometer.

Incidentally, what is the schools breakup of your minor team? How many St Kierans, CBS, Johnstown, Callan, etc are they?

Oh btw yere u21s play our u21s in a challenge in Grangemockler on May 11th to commemorate the opening of new dressing rooms and work done to Grangemockler/Ballyneale clubhouse. Throw in at half 6

You are correct in my opinion. Think there are just 5 or 6 Kieran's lads on the starting team and just about the same number are eligible from the CBS but three of them are injured. Most people are tipping Kilkenny or Limerick to win this year, presume that's on account of both having two teams each in the colleges semi finals.

Good to know about the under 21 challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

You are correct in my opinion. Think there are just 5 or 6 Kieran's lads on the starting team and just about the same number are eligible from the CBS but three of them are injured. Most people are tipping Kilkenny or Limerick to win this year, presume that's on account of both having two teams each in the colleges semi finals.

Good to know about the under 21 challenge.

5 or 6 from each school team is a good number indeed but thats not to say the rest of the lads there are inadequate just because they havent been playing for a school in the City. If I remember collectly some of the non kierans and cbs lads were key men last year and are very fine hurlers indeed and I am especially looking at young Alan Murphy, John Walsh and Darragh Joyce in particular. Three fine young hurlers and very talented and Joyce was still u16 last year if I remember correctly when he was playing half back. Young Ronan Corcoran from Ballyhale out of the new lads on the team that are non kierans or cbs is supposedly very highly rated too as far Ive heard. Has impressed for Ballyhales Senior team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Question for the historians. Does anyone know why the Kilkenny hurlers refused to play in the 1908 championship? Or where you might find out?

Question for the historians. Does anyone know why the Kilkenny hurlers refused to play in the 1908 championship? Or where you might find out?

Ex Wikipedia -

In 1908 Kilkenny were unable to defend their title as they withdrew from the championship due to a disagreement over custody of the Railway Shield

Ex Wikipedia -

In 1908 Kilkenny were unable to defend their title as they withdrew from the championship due to a disagreement over custody of the Railway Shield
    Yeah I saw that, was looking to find out what the dispute was exactly, there's no information on it online that I can see

Dublin 1-01 Kilkenny 0-00 5 mins
    Dublin 1-03 Kilkenny 0-01 20min
    Dublin 2-03 Kilkenny 0-01 H/T
    Dublin 2-03 Kilkenny 0-02 9min
    Dublin 2-07 Kilkenny 0-02 20min

This is pathetic stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

1-2 to no score after 15 mins

• Advertisement

Brian017 wrote: »
    1-2 to no score after 15 mins

1-3 to 0-1 after 18 mins

2-3 to 0-1 25 mins. Whats going on here?

2-3 to 0-1 25 mins. Whats going on here?

Weather very bad our touch has been very poor. Slipping all over the place. Dublin deserve thier lead.

amber69 wrote: »
    Weather very bad our touch has been very poor. Slipping all over the place. Dublin deserve thier lead.

1 point from a free in 30 minutes of hurling is very poor. You wouldnt see it at special junior weather permitting or not. Hopefully the lads will pick it up in the 2nd period and not let Dublin run away with it

Hurling better now that the weather picked up. We're playing far too much short passes for the conditions

shocking so far, weather or not, how can we be 10 points behind to Dublin especislly with most of the colleges lads involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

So a QF with Carlow awaits. I'm not sure we deserve to be still in the Championship after that, weather aside, diabolical performance. Just shows you how funny and unpredictable a grade Minor is.

3 points in 60 mins 1 from play from any Kilkenny team is really poor, there is something seriously wrong there. Weather no excuse. I dont know what just happened there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Rossie2014

Shocking result but id wait to see how they get on from here before passing judgement on the minor panel and set up. A few injuries didnt help either.

Shambolic result from our minor team. How can a team that is made up of two teams that contested the schools all ireland only score 3 points in 60 mins. I have said before on previous kilkenny sites, that we have become complacent at underage level. Other counties have surpassed our underage structure and it is not working anymore. MANAGEMEMT SHOULD HANG THEIR HEADS IN SHAME

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Anyone know the final score?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

manager should be ****ed out asap

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Shambolic result from our minor team. How can a team that is made up of two teams that contested the schools all ireland only score 3 points in 60 mins. I have said before on previous kilkenny sites, that we have become complacent at underage level. Other counties have surpassed our underage structure and it is not working anymore. MANAGEMEMT SHOULD HANG THEIR HEADS IN SHAME

Completely agree only 1 point better scoring wise than the Minor Footballers and thats a disgrace. We really need to buck up our ideas at underage level but how can a performance such as this be explained. Both sides must take the blame, management and players, the players for showing absolutely no fight, bottle or pride in the jersey whatsoever which is a trademark of wearing a Kilkenny Jersey and now onto the management. I would love to witness one of those training sessions just to see what is going on. Is the training the players are getting really that bad? I know Hoban has been reknowned in the past for not exactly taking the initiative when it comes to actually training the teams

Pmy, hoban is the lad who would be put in charge of the 3rd team in the parish at the agm because nobody else would do it, crazy how he was put in charge of such an important team. btw im not from the vat just know that he has no idea whatsoever of what he is at.

Im not from the vat myself either but I have heard a few things about hoban one of which was when he was in charge of dunnamaggin. I was told he hadnt a clue and i was skeptical when he was first appointed but after they won leinster last year that put my doubts to rest until now. Is there anyone on here from mullinavat or close by that could tell us what they think of him or what they know? Obviously theres a serious problem there, like what must they be doing in training playing rounders or something because theres no way a Kilkenny team should be put to the sword like this. James meagher from freshford is on board the management team too. He has a long history with underage teams and supposedly has a good reputation

Dublin have put far more effort into strength and conditioning than Kilkenny have at underage level. That makes a big difference in conditions like today. Christy O Conner mentioned in the independent last week that Kilkenny had introduced a weights programme for the under 16 squad for the first time this year.

Rossie2014 wrote: »
    Dublin have put far more effort into strength and conditioning than Kilkenny have at underage level. That makes a big difference in conditions like today. Christy O Conner mentioned in the independent last week that Kilkenny had introduced a weights programme for the under 16 squad for the first time this year.

Hit the nail on the head. Apparently county board were reluctant to introduce too much gym work into the underage setup. As a consequence the players develop later. Unfortunately in conditionsv such as today you can suffer that kind of display. A serious rethink is urgently required. Those young players ain't that bad and have been working their socks off in training for months. Have no idea how good or bad the management team is but the conditioning issue is not their responsibility.

At least they have another opportunity to redeem themselves.

When I read that it was to be the first game for one of the starting fifteen after he being injured for a long time and that another was only after playing 15 minutes after coming on as a sub in the colleges finals I already had misgivings.Surely we could field 15 fully fit players and bring these two on if we were in trouble. There is no excuse what-so-ever for this kind of display and it has to be laid at the door of the management and those who appointed them. The lack of detail about the panels and the training prior to the match was also a cause for concern but now I understand it must have been because they were not training.

Hit the nail on the head. Apparently county board were reluctant to introduce too much gym work into the underage setup. As a consequence the players develop later. Unfortunately in conditionsv such as today you can suffer that kind of display. A serious rethink is urgently required. Those young players ain't that bad and have been working their socks off in training for months. Have no idea how good or bad the management team is but the conditioning issue is not their responsibility.

At least they have another opportunity to redeem themselves.

Our u21 team this year have been victims of that approach and were very poor up to the age minor. When your saying players develop later, it will be interesting to see how that motto works when the u21s appear out in June. If that turns out to be a disaster, a serious rethink and overhaul of the underage structure is probably needed because this cant go on for sure. We are Kilkenny and proud, not getting hammered in our own backyard by a crowd who were anonymous for decades as competitiors in hurling and are only competitive again because of the GAAs bias towards them in terms of pumping in resources into games development

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 dubliner 2

Our u21 team this year have been victims of that approach and were very poor up to the age minor. When your saying players develop later, it will be interesting to see how that motto works when the u21s appear out in June. If that turns out to be a disaster, a serious rethink and overhaul of the underage structure is probably needed because this cant go on for sure. We are Kilkenny and proud, not getting hammered in our own backyard by a crowd who were anonymous for decades as competitiors in hurling and are only competitive again because of the GAAs bias towards them in terms of pumping in resources into games development

Jesus could you be any more bitter?

Thankfully you are almost completely unrepresentative of the KK fans that I have come across in the last decade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 MajaDon

I'm an ex Dublin hurler. Was at the minor game today. I like watching this thread until posters start to throw blame about and saying harsh things about people. Today its the minor manager! It was only a matter of time when anger would be thrown at Dublin. not one single comment about the quality of Dublin today! They were very good. Early in the season to be talking of championship wins, but it is good to see such a performance by Dublin. Excuses like strength and conditioning advantages are useless - I had a good look at each player and I'm pretty sure that KK matched Dublin at least in almost all positions for size and strength. Maybe someone should acknowledge the great skill of Dublin today, despite the difficult conditions?

Calling us "a crowd" is unacceptable. I know the people involved in Dublin hurling for the last 50 years. It is a relatively small community of people (probably a lot smaller than the numbers in Kilkenny!) who have been dedicated to hurling despite decades of losing, especially to Kilkenny. Basically a decent group of people who kept slogging away in tough times - we are not the beneficiaries of "bias". There were a series of high level meetings in the GAA in the 90's, all very open and agreed nationally including by Kilkenny to invest in Dublin GAA (most of the resources went to football). I don't recall a single dissenting voice at the time. All agreed that a strong GAA in Dublin would be good for GAA as a whole. And they have been right - GAA has never been so strong! Our footballers now have a virtual conveyor belt of talent and we will probably be competitive at every grade for many years, but we still have not won that much. Hurling is different - literally very different people even within clubs. It is great for all of hurling to see Dublin competing, even thought we have not won an AI yet.

Please try and be a bit more gracious in defeat.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Lads I've infracted a number of people already and deleted posts - its not acceptable to be calling people clowns and eejits. Just a warning not to get into anything personal or its straight bans

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hide behind the post

100% agree..we have immensely skillful hurlers but vis a vis other counties we seem to be off in terms of size and strength. Some of those Dublin Minors are strong MEN...with skills to match!

I do not think this is just confined to our minor/u-21 grades either and it carries through into Senior in some instances, bar some notable exceptions.

I would be interested in seeing the strength and conditioning training of our senior team versus other counties.

Never do I want to see hurling being a brute force game and skill will always be present but we need to move with the times, S&C is not bodybuilding but rather enhances sports function, speed, strength, agility......We are basically born with hurls in our hands so not fear losing the skill aspect!!

MajaDon wrote: »
    I'm an ex Dublin hurler. Was at the minor game today. I like watching this thread until posters start to throw blame about and saying harsh things about people. Today its the minor manager! It was only a matter of time when anger would be thrown at Dublin. not one single comment about the quality of Dublin today! They were very good. Early in thOe season to be talking of championship wins, but it is good to see such a performance by Dublin. Excuses like strength and conditioning advantages are useless - I had a good look at each player and I'm pretty sure that KK matched Dublin at least in almost all positions for size and strength. Maybe someone should acknowledge the great skill of Dublin today, despite the difficult conditions?

Calling us "a crowd" is unacceptable. I know the people involved in Dublin hurling for the last 50 years. It is a relatively small community of people (probably a lot smaller than the numbers in Kilkenny!) who have been dedicated to hurling despite decades of losing, especially to Kilkenny. Basically a decent group of people who kept slogging away in tough times - we are not the beneficiaries of "bias". There were a series of high level meetings in the GAA in the 90's, all very open and agreed nationally including by Kilkenny to invest in Dublin GAA (most of the resources went to football). I don't recall a single dissenting voice at the time. All agreed that a strong GAA in Dublin would be good for GAA as a whole. And they have been right - GAA has never been so strong! Our footballers now have a virtual conveyor belt of talent and we will probably be competitive at every grade for many years, but we still have not won that much. Hurling is different - literally very different people even within clubs. It is great for all of hurling to see Dublin competing, even thought we have not won an AI yet.

Please try and be a bit more gracious in defeat.
    Emphasis on strength and conditioning and skill arent mutally exclusive. Its also very clear that Dublin teams are far more skillfull over the last 10 years and are producing players like Rushe and Sutcliffe who are athletic and skillfull. But obviously this is a Kilkenny thread so the focus is on what we can do better. There are no excuses today, obviously the better team won but its early in the year and we are still at the same stage of the championship.

Emphasis on strength and conditioning and skill arent mutally exclusive. Its also very clear that Dublin teams are far more skillfull over the last 10 years and are producing players like Rushe and Sutcliffe who are athletic and skillfull. But obviously this is a Kilkenny thread so the focus is on what we can do better. There are no excuses today, obviously the better team won but its early in the year and we are still at the same stage of the championship.

Spot on.

to the dubs on here i dont think anyone is doubting ye are a force now in hurling and are welcome to the top table but us kk people are venting our anger here to a pathetic underage set up at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Really uncalled for.
    I know you're p***ed off about the match but come on there is no need for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

Last KK minor team to win All Ireland was 2010 ... Cillian Buckley, Padraig Walsh, Brian Kennedy, John Power all on that team. Who should county board be asking to take charge of minors?

Would Mulroney consider coming back?

martin fogarty should have been got back in to the underage set up. he is up in westmeath now wasting his time he would have been ideal for the minors.

The development of our minors to Under21 level leaves alot to be desired too. We contested 3 all ireland minor finals between 2008-2010. Not one u21 title to our name from those teams. Clare got to one final (beaten by kk) and are now going for 3 in a row u21. Something is not right there.

Most of the County boards finances are obviously going to the Senior team. Its time the county board paid a bit more attention to our underage teams before it bites us in the ass.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement