Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorcycle advice

• 14-03-2013 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

I'm planning to move to Spain in September and can't drive but I'll need some sort of transport so I was looking into getting something small like a Vespa. I've tried to do a bit of homework but all the information seems to be contradictory.

If anyone could answer any of my questions I'd be very grateful, as I know absolutely nothing about this area. :)

1. Am I right in thinking that if I get my licence here I can use it in Spain since the licences were changed in January?
    2. If so, and I chose to do it here, could I insure myself for 3 months here over the Summer to drive to and from work?
    3. If I were to do a bit of travelling (40-50km per day commute-on good roads), would I need a 125cc? I understand that you need an A licence or at least and A1 licence for this.

I am a 25 year old female, with no previous driving experience, therefore no NCB, and no clue about costs, bikes, insurance or other. I'm trying to figure out the easiest, cheapest solution of course and don't intend on ever driving a motorbike so don't need to "round-up" my licence. Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Hi,

Just thought Id start off by saying seeing as you are over the age of 24 you will be unrestricted from the time you get your LP. This means you can drive whatever size bike you like, from a 50cc to a 1000cc. The catagory you would be eligible for is A. Unfortunatly once you get your learners permit(LP) you need to wait 6 months before you can sit your full test. LPs are not valid in any country other than RoI. Hopefully this answers your first question.

Once you get your LP there is another step you will need to take before being able to drive. Its a new-ish incentive from europe called Initial Basic Training (IBT). The cost of this varies from 350-450 depending on the place you go too. Ideally you shouldnt sit on a bike until you complete this. It will give you all the basic knowledge you need. Once you finish IBT you will be able to get your insurance and drive on your own following the normal LP rules (No motorways, no passengers etc). I am not sure about transfering your policy into a different country. So hopefully thats your second question answered.

Finally 40-50 km of commuting seems like quite a lot for a commute. ESPECIALLY on a 125. I do about 20 km a day on a 125 and I am pretty much fed up with it already. Cars driving up your arse, going slow on roads it gets annoying and soon you'l want a bigger bike. For yourself Id recommend maybe like a 250 cc. You could go up to 600 for a scooter style bike but that might be a little high especially with no driving experience.

Anyways I hope ive helped to shed some sort of light onto the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Holly Golightly9

Thanks a million, you have!

According to the laws in Ireland, I can't obtain a car or motorcycle licence without a learners permit? I see, I thought they maybe more lenient and give you a full licence immediately or something with the motorcycle. So the IBT would be to get your learners permit, and then you'd have to do a test of ability I'm assuming to get your full licence.

And you'd recommend a bigger bike for that distance? That's the advice I needed.

Thanks a million, I guess I'll have to quash the pipedreams til I leave so.

Many thanks, you're very good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Thanks a million, you have!

According to the laws in Ireland, I can't obtain a car or motorcycle licence without a learners permit? I see, I thought they maybe more lenient and give you a full licence immediately or something with the motorcycle. So the IBT would be to get your learners permit, and then you'd have to do a test of ability I'm assuming to get your full licence.

Nearly on the ball, You need to do a theroy test to get your LP, then the IBT is like a set of practical lessons which will validate your LP to roadworthy, then you wait 6 months, and then you can apply for your dirving test. Once you pass this you can get your full licence :)

I wish they were giving out full licences, pretty sure that happened before my time though.

And its no problem at all. Hope you get on two wheels as soon as your ready :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭gipi

Just one thing to watch for - if you do apply for an unrestricted "A" learner permit, you wouldn't be able to take the test on a 125cc bike. The bike you need for the A test must be at least 595cc and have a particular power/weight ratio too (can't remember the number offhand).

You could hire one for the test from an instructor, and of course if you pass, you can then ride anything you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Holly Golightly9

Thanks, I think I'm going to have to leave it for here. Ideally I would like to ride something small from May to September and get by on the bare minimum cost and licence until then, but I don't think there's many options without investing a good amount of money. Thanks a mill for your help. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Well i lived in spain and having spanish wife i hope i can give you some ideas.

if you gonna move somewhere south --> malaga - Andalucia --> i would prefer 125cc easy - i had one and i was making 40+km a day in traffic. and i can tell 125 is more then enough. i had a brand new bike - Sym - with honda engine. its low cost - i mean petrol consumption is close to nothing and the rest is like for free, but if you gonna move elsewhere and use more kinda motorways as said before 125 is little small, but you can survive that. For start i would take something with smaller engine and low cost. and my wife was driving the bike with A1 and somehow she got it with car license. back in the days.

my 2c

Advertisement