Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those who have rocked. RIP Ray Manzarek.

• 14-03-2013 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Alvin Lee, Clive Burr and Peter Banks founding member of YES have all died in recent days, rather than separate threads that will have a few posts maybe a general thread for those who have unplugged for the last time would be a good idea?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/mar/13/yes-guitarist-peter-banks-dies

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Good idea man. Those threads are kinda depressing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ConstantLove

http://www.thedeadrockstarsclub.com/2013.html I found this site that has all the dead rock stars who died lately and years ago:(

Chi Cheng of The Deftones passed away last night, RIP.

http://www.nme.com/news/deftones/69724

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Storm Thorgerson 1944 - 2013 Graphic designer best known for his work with Pink Floyd (sometimes known as the 5th member).

That each and every bed on the cover of Momentary Lapse was real was a delight to me when I discovered that fact. Could have done it with some photographic jiggery pokery but that was not his way.

It wasn't always plain sailing as he didn't like to fake anything, for the WYWH sleeve shot stuntman Ronnie Rondell was set on fire he was flamed protected where it was thought he needed to be but a gusty wind caught the flames and briefly engulfed his face, burning his mustache.

Of course nothing tops the wayward pig for the Animals cover. Can't be many work of arts that have come to the attention of air traffic control over London.

ummagumma.jpg

storm-Pink_Floyd_Wish_You_Were_Here.jpg

storm-thorgerson-album-cover-art-3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Maybe not for here being from a thrash band but nod to Jeff Hanneman from Slayer who died last thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Just heard Ray Manzarek of the doors has passed away. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MollyZ

Ray Manzarek RIP. I'm stunned - had no idea he was unwell or close to death.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

RIP Ray.

Gutted. Just heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Sad news indeed. R.I.P. Ray.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

R.I.P Ray....very sad news!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Ray John Robbie Jim

One of my all time favourite tracks from The Doors' "Absolutely Live" LP.
    A Willie Dixon Song Sung by none other than our man Ray

CLOSE TO YOU

I wanna get
    Close to you, baby, like black on white.
    Close to you, baby, like the coldest of ice.
    Close to you, baby, like a siamese twin.
    Close to you, baby, like I'm feeling alright.

I wanna get close to you, baby,
    Well, close to you, baby.
    Close to you, baby,
    Till I don't know what to say or do.

I wanna get
    Close to you, baby, like the sight of your eye,
    Close to you, baby, like the heat is to fire,
    Close to you, baby, close as I can get,
    Close to you, baby, like water's wet.

I said close to you, baby.
    Close to you, baby.

I wanna get
    Close to you, baby, till I'm feeling alright.
    Close to you, baby, gonna love you all night.
    Close to you, baby, and to New York City.
    I love you so much, woman, you know it's a pity.

I said, close to you, baby.
    I wanna get close to you, baby.
    Don't know what to say or do. Well.

I gotta get closer and closer, baby.
    Closer and closer, babe.
    Closer and closer, baby.
    Closer and closer, baby.
    I gotta get close to you, baby.

Well, closer and closer, baby.
    Closer and closer, baby.
    Closer and closer, baby.
    Closer and closer, baby.
    I wanna get close to you, baby.
    You know, baby, we love you.
    And I'll make him feel alright,
    Make me feel alright,
    Make Robbie feel alright,
    And you make John feel alright,
    And make Jim feel alright,
    And we wanna love you so much too,
    I don't know what to say or do

Alright!
    R.I.P. Ray

(Funny, I just bought up the Special Edition of "The Doors" Oliver Stone Movie at a charity shop on Friday!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

One of the great ones from the Southside of Chicago. Ray literally grew up and went to school down the road from me, albeit 30 years earlier, we have always claimed him as one of our own.

Rest in Peace sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

Aww that's a real bummer.. I really enjoyed his work with the Doors-I remember seeing an episode of Classic Albums on BBC3 a few months ago about LA Woman, and he came across as a really likeable gent.

Ni beidh a leitheid aris ann...

daithi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Very sad news for me. I was for many years obsessed with The Doors, and am still a big fan, and always will be.

I remember the first time I heard Light My Fire, about fifteen years old smoking joints in a tent. Both the extended solos were mind-blowing but it was Ray's organ playing that really got me into The Doors. Even though other 60's bands used the same organs, most didn't have it as the lead/dominant instrument, it was mainly used as a filler with chords used rather than individual notes. And playing the bass keyboard with his left hand too, so cool.

Even now when I have discovered almost everything the 60's have to offer, as well as other bands since then, not many sound as good as Ray or have the organ at centre stage of their sound, or else they use Hammond organs and although I like Hammonds too, it's the sound of a Vox Continental that I love so much thanks to Ray.

I spent years learning all their songs on bass guitar/keyboard and organ. I can't play them that well, but there's nothing more fun than playing Am Bm over and over again and just improvising like Ray.

Delighted that I got to see Ray and Robbie play twice in Dublin, two of the best nights of my life.

RIP Ray.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Delighted that I got to see Ray and Robbie play twice in Dublin, two of the best nights of my life.

RIP Ray.

Me too. Both fantastic shows. Didn't even know he was ill. Very sad news indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MollyZ

Have just read on the Prog Magazine's twitter that Trevor Bolder has died. RIP.

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/trevor-bolder-dead-at-62/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Upset to hear about Ray Manzarek. He was the keeper of the Doors flame and a seemingly really nice gent as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Saw the thread title and expected to read tributes to ray manzarek. Suddenly found out about Clive burr, storm thorgerson and alvin lee. Ffs. I'm not reading any more RIP threads...

Sad to hear they're all gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

MollyZ wrote: »
    Have just read on the Prog Magazine's twitter that Trevor Bolder has died. RIP.

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/trevor-bolder-dead-at-62/

:eek: I have Moonage Daydream playing as I read that. R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭nigeldinho

RIP Ray.

One moment of my life I'll never forget, my old dog died two years ago while The End by the Doors was playing on the stereo.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Founding member, guitarist and keyboardist Allan Lanier of Blue Oyster Cult has passed away. RIP

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/allen-lanier-dies/?trending

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

BOC one of my favourites, there were no real stars in the band just a very good band. This is a song that Allan Lanier wrote for Agents of Fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

mike65 wrote:
    Alvin Lee, Clive Burr and Peter Banks founding member of YES have all died in recent days, rather than separate threads that will have a few posts maybe a general thread for those who have unplugged for the last time would be a good idea?
    Yes its all quite sad. I have a DOORS ALBUM and i do love it!! (I have a couple YES cassettes also)

Advertisement