Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google reader alternatives

Options
  • 14-03-2013 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

Grrrr.
    Stupid google, with their "it's not making money so we're turning it off" approach - you'd swear we were living in a capitalist society these days.

Anyway, given that I use reader every single day, usually three to four times a day, I need an alternative. I'm leaning away from the web-based approach - it's damn handy having a server "out there" that has all this stuff so I can look at it from any device, but I'd rather not find out that the new site has closed down six weeks after I finally get everything migrated and working just so. I'm playing with liferea at the moment (which is wonderfully easy, it's just aptitude install liferea and then fire it up), and Canto (because anything that works on the console is good); but have folk out there tried anything else?

Olive? Snownews? RSSOwl? Newsbeuter? Even a good web-based app, if it's good enough (even though Reader has pretty much burnt that bridge for me, but it might not have for other people reading this)?

(And I mean used, not read about it but never tried it myself :p)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Pain in the ass alright. I know a good few people that use it but they are all people working in IT. I too am looking for alternatives to port all my stuff across in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Hm. Zed Shaw is, as ever, expletively direct on this topic :D Okay, installed newsbeuter and playing with it now. Though I do have this entire "webcomics" folder of RSS feeds that I'd prefer to see graphically...

(...and no, "open all in bookmarks" and a chrome/firefox/opera folder of links is not a great solution, I've done that one; you wind up doing by hand what RSS is designed to do automatically and when you open fifty tabs at once, most machines hate you for it)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

Digg is claiming they'll be building a replacement.

I've installed Feedly to see how it compares.

In other news:

http://www.change.org/petitions/google-keep-google-reader-running

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭angryInch

Just started using Feedly, quite nice, and has good IOS, Android and Kindle apps too.
    So far I like it (once I found the timeline view, not too gone on the Magazine layout)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I've been using Mozilla Thunderbird for mail for some time, and today I remembered that it does RSS too. I found I could import the XML file supplied by Google Takeout if I renamed it to *.OPML first. (OPML is an XML format.). If you have feeds in a Google Reader folder, they remain in that folder when imported in to Thunderbird.
    The good:
    - I told it to automatically delete all messages older than 3 days, so I didn't have to wade through old posts e.g. on the first load of a folder, it finds all posts in that folder, but then you select it and all the old posts are deleted. In one case it found 1,000 posts, then deleted all but the latest 20 automatically.

The bad.
    - posts in a folder can only be read as a folder. I can't see a way of selecting a single feed to read on its own. I'm not sure that is really a problem, but I did find myself doing that in Google Reader.

PS: I'm noticing feeds that Google Reader was not updating - they were being skipped somehow. Hmmm.

PPS: I'm trying Feedly too - since I have an Android tablet.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement

Installed liferea, liked it.
    Installed canto, got it to work, didn't like it much.
    Installed newsbeuter, liked it quite a bit.
    Installed tinytinyrss on my own server, liking it quite a bit - and - canto, newsbeuter and liferea will all sync with it... but newsbeuter has a temporary bug (with a patch) because ttrss just changed its api recently.

All four will import the reader subscription.xml output from google takeout.

Newsbeuter and liferea with a ttrss backend are the winners so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

News Blur?

If you don't want to pay you could build it yourself ;)

Thought that but TTRSS does the same thing and both liferea and newsbeuter already sync with it (you do need the latest version of newsbeuter, and you have to pull it from git for that I'm afraid, it's a desperately complex sequence of steps:
    git clone git://github.com/akrennmair/newsbeuter.git
    sudo apt-get build-dep newsbeuter
    cd newsbeuter
    make
    sudo make install

:D Sometimes I really like Debian :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Sparks wrote: »
    Thought that but TTRSS does the same thing and both liferea and newsbeuter already sync with it (you do need the latest version of newsbeuter, and you have to pull it from git for that I'm afraid, it's a desperately complex sequence of steps:
    git clone git://github.com/akrennmair/newsbeuter.git
    sudo apt-get build-dep newsbeuter
    cd newsbeuter
    make
    sudo make install

:D Sometimes I really like Debian :D

If fairness akrennmair should be thanked for that experience ;)

Advertisement