Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48 Go

Options
  • 14-03-2013 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Does anyone know what happens when the date of birth you registered with on 48 reaches the age of 22???? Do they tell you thanks for using them but as you are now no longer between 18-22 you can no longer use them or can you re register again as an 18 yr old if that makes sense??????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Nothing happens. It's all just marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 leno1979

Nice one as im due to turn 22 again :) quite soon acording to the date of birth i registered with and was fearful that id be told i need to move networks....is that definate do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,484 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Do you think they'll turn away your business because you reach a certain age? I should think not ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I've always wondered is it actually legal for them to say that the network is only available to those aged between 18 and 22 as it could be classed as age discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Caliden wrote: »
    I've always wondered is it actually legal for them to say that the network is only available to those aged between 18 and 22 as it could be classed as age discrimination.

Yes discriminating on the grounds of age is contrary to the Equal Status Act 2000:
    5.—(1) A person shall not discriminate in disposing of goods to the public generally or a section of the public or in providing a service, whether the disposal or provision is for consideration or otherwise and whether the service provided can be availed of only by a section of the public.

Clause 3.2 of their service terms and conditions contravenes the Act:
    3.2 We reserve the right to limit the availability of the 48 Services for people in certain age categories (details of the age categories which qualify to use the 48 Services are published on www.48months.ie).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Again, you're buying a 'membership', not technically using a service.

Think of it this way, you go for a few holes of golf, and you're not a member, so you pay the club to let you in for the day. You're not joining the club, you're just playing. However, if you are joining for the year, despite the fact that you are paying money, you're paying a membership.

Like golf, on 48 you are paying for a membership. And they can technically discriminate, as private membership clubs are entitled to have restrictions. They'll never kick you off the network, but be aware that they are perfectly entitled to. This 'it's discrimination' card is rubbish. It is clear on their website you're paying for a membership, not for services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

with the membership on 48 say you select a €15 montly membership that doesnt include say any landline minutes, do you still have that €15 to use for calling landlines like credit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

AFAIK, you buy in to the membership (not a network, remember), and then the money is gone, but the services are there.
    It is completely and utterly different to other networks like that. Others give you benefits and leave your credit untouched, whilst 48 are the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

I've been on 48 for about a year and I turned 22 over a week ago. Nothing has happened or changed yet. I have my membership paid until May, and if I log in to my account on the website I still have the option to pay for future memberships. I've an odd feeling that if I let my membership run out I may not be able to buy more but I don't know if that's true.

I hope not, as I have been very happy with their service and saved money.

Advertisement