Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ipad and Iphone

• 14-03-2013 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I have an iphone at the moment. Looking at getting an ipad. Is it really worth it? Is an ipad effectively a larger iphone. Would it make sense to have both? Just want to check before forking out 500e for an ipad and realise i dont need one!

cheers :)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

i use both alot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

godtabh wrote: »
    i use both alot

so you think there is benefits of having the 2? is it necessary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Have always had an iPhone. Got an iPad mini then at launch as the size was more appealing. I thought the same as you beforehand.

Howver, I couldn't believe how much I used it. It's so much better at web browsing, games, viewing photos, YouTube, on demand streaming. Very used device in our household now!

JDxtra wrote: »
    Have always had an iPhone. Got an iPad mini then at launch as the size was more appealing. I thought the same as you beforehand.

Howver, I couldn't believe how much I used it. It's so much better at web browsing, games, viewing photos, YouTube, on demand streaming. Very used device in our household now!

im looking at the ipad 4th generation with Retina display. Do you think it is worth the 509 euro? Sorry for all the crap questions- im just not very knowledgable when it comes to these things!
    Also another one- if there is no USB connection how can I move my personal files etc on to the ipad?
    Is there much of a difference between the ipad mini and the normal ipad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

keano2012 wrote: »

im looking at the ipad 4th generation with Retina display. Do you think it is worth the 509 euro? Sorry for all the crap questions- im just not very knowledgable when it comes to these things!
    Also another one- if there is no USB connection how can I move my personal files etc on to the ipad?
    I think iPad 4 and all versions are worth the money, I have had ipad 1 & 2 past few years.

Just one word of warning: be prepared for never to let it out of your hand and to be totally addicted! I'm totally addicted to mine

• Advertisement

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I think iPad 4 and all versions are worth the money, I have had ipad 1 & 2 past few years.

Just one word of warning: be prepared for never to let it out of your hand and to be totally addicted! I'm totally addicted to mine

haha thanks for the heads up!

being a bit of a pessimist i was looking for someone just to say nope it's a a load of crap and dont buy it! Have googled a lot of reviews and everyone is only saying good things about it! damn....looks like i will just have to go and buy it now :D

Also how do you get around not having a USB port on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

what do you use a USB port for? anyways use iCloud, dropbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,099 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Realistically if this is what you are looking to do, Android Ecosystem and Android Tablets are more accessible as the have standardised connections.

Would you consider an Nexus 7 or Nexus 10?

Much more bang for your buck.

Personally i wouldnt pay over 500 Euro for tablet, i dont believe its worth it for the Ipad no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

haha thanks for the heads up!

being a bit of a pessimist i was looking for someone just to say nope it's a a load of crap and dont buy it! Have googled a lot of reviews and everyone is only saying good things about it! damn....looks like i will just have to go and buy it now :D

Also how do you get around not having a USB port on it?
    You could do a few things:
    - Upload them to Drop box and use the DropBox app on the iPad.
    - Download a virtual USB Drive app and transfer your files to that applications file structure on your PC.
    - email yourself the files.

But, as said above...moving files on Android is alot easier and a wide range of file types can be supported on Android by using numerous apps.

- Shane

listermint wrote: »
    Realistically if this is what you are looking to do, Android Ecosystem and Android Tablets are more accessible as the have standardised connections.

Would you consider an Nexus 7 or Nexus 10?

Much more bang for your buck.

Personally i wouldnt pay over 500 Euro for tablet, i dont believe its worth it for the Ipad no.

finally a negative comment :)

I know absoloutely nothing about the ipad or any nexus 7 or 10! Is there not a massive difference in quality between the nexus and an ipad? the nexus has a smallerr screen though ya?

ps to the other comments...i have never heard of icloud etc so no idea how it works. Im sure if i got an ipad i would quickly learn! i wss just thinking...if i was travelling....i have quite a few movies on a hard drive...how can i watch these on an ipad then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

If I had to choose, I'd ditch the iphone before I'd get rid of the ipad. That said, I am ditching the ipad for a mini iPad in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

ps to the other comments...i have never heard of icloud etc so no idea how it works. Im sure if i got an ipad i would quickly learn! i wss just thinking...if i was travelling....i have quite a few movies on a hard drive...how can i watch these on an ipad then?

Sounds like you are just using the term ipad to mean tablet pc.

may be worth investigating other types of tablet to find one that suits your needs.

There are a few other tablets you could choose from which would be of equal standing to the iPad and carry a lesser price tag.

Nexus 10 and nexus 7 are 10 inch and 7 inch versions of googles own tablet.
    the competitors to the iPad and iPad mini respectivly.

You can also look at the samsung tab2 10.1 and 7 versions (those are inches)

they are all of equal quality, but will offer different features.

You can also look at other manufactures for cheaper products. each one will have different specs.

You can even find good quality no-brand Chinese tablets, almost as good as the 'western' makes at a fraction of the price.

For a safe no-brain decision choose what size you want and pick apple, Samsung or nexus. either one will be good enough quality to perform well. just get the one that suits you best.

is the nexus 10 out in ireland yet? cant seem to find it anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

I dont think it is, but with parcel motel and a little effort you can get it from an offshore play store, uk or Germany. maybe amazon or ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,099 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It is not available from any stores yet, but can be purchased online there is a large thread on the android forum about it.

I suppose the question is what do you want the device for ?

Personally I was actually going to get the Nexus 10 because i wanted screen size etc. But i was given a Nexus 7 as gift from the GF. I have to say the 7 inch screen suits my far better. Its handier for travelling, its lighter. It feels good in the hand. I can use it as an E Reader for reading books ive downloaded with the kindle app. I can plug in any hard drive or USB via OTG cable and watch whatever movies i like or transfer files to it.

I can hook it up to my DSLR with OTG and use it to take pictures on my camera and as a viewfinder. It really fits the bill. Having used it for 2 months now i think for me it was a better choice than the 10 Inch because it fits all those roles perfectly.

Advertisement