Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prams vs Strollers

Options
  • 14-03-2013 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I find it easier to price and build my own PC than figure out prams/strollers/travel systems. :)

Anyway, it seems one problem with pram or pram/stroller combos is their sheer size. We live in the city, don't really drive and will also be making at least one plane trip with the forthcoming sprog. As we better off just getting something light and uncumbersome? A friend mentioned that there are strollers where the seated part can be flat for new babies - any thoughts about these?

P.

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

oceanclub wrote: »
    I find it easier to price and build my own PC than figure out prams/strollers/travel systems. :)

Anyway, it seems one problem with pram or pram/stroller combos is their sheer size. We live in the city, don't really drive and will also be making at least one plane trip with the forthcoming sprog. As we better off just getting something light and uncumbersome? A friend mentioned that there are strollers where the seated part can be flat for new babies - any thoughts about these?

P.

Check out the Mothercare Orb. The carrycot part transforms into a seat so there is no separate cost. It faces in/out at a swivel of a handle, and seems very lightweight. A friend bought it, and I got serious buggy envy when I tried my 10month old in it.

I got a stroller that supposedly lay flat for a newborn, but he screamed every time I put him in it. I think it just bumpy or something, so we ended up getting a quinny frame to use with our car seat. From about 4 months on, he loved the stroller and it will do him until he is much bigger but in the beginning it was useless.

Also consider if you will want one that converts to a double buggy down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Travel systems are a nuisance alright if you live in the city. We got the out-and-about 360. It's a buggy that goes flat. We used it from newborn, she loved it and fell asleep in about 2 mintues flat when I went walking with her, which was handy for naps. We still use it now and she's two. No problem with it. Very sturdy.

Expensive though, so look for second-hand maybe. (Although still about 1/3 of the cost of a travel system) You can get it in Tony kealys.

Reviews here:
    http://www.mumsnet.com/reviews/pushchairs/3-wheeler-pushchairs/9421-outnabout-nipper

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Thanks for the feedback - would the Mama & Papa Pliko Pramette (converts from pram/buggy) be in the same weight/category?

http://www.mamasandpapas.com/range/pliko-pramette/2412/?locale=2

Appears to be common and, hopefully, means more chance of a second-hand model being available.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Mothercare My4 does the pram to seat conversion and takes a maxi cosi car seat. Its served us well.
    Bestbuggy.co.uk has a great comparison feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Pilko prametto is 460 euro and weighs 9kg.

New out and about nipper 360 is 300 euro and weighs 8kg.

The new model is one year old, difference between new and old is the carseat clips. The old one didn't have those. I can find 23 second hand ones listed online, from about 70 quid up to 250 (for the double version).

Best thing to do is go to one of those big baby gear showrooms and give them a go. Folding it, lifting it up a few steps... Pushing it one-handed! Throw a 10kg sack of spuds in for the tests. :) and hang a nappy bag off it.

Have fun!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have heard the city wheels mini is great .
    http://www.babyjogger.com/

Advertisement