Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog going upstairs backwards!

• 14-03-2013 5:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Pip my Lab recently had surgery for an ear Hematoma (Im convinced Molly the collie caused it, shes always barging into her and pulling her ears)-- Anyway she had to wear the awful cone for 2 weeks. While wearing the cone she had difficulty getting up the stairs as it was banging into the steps so she (very cleverly we thought) started going upstairs backwards - as in bottom first. Now the not so clever part is since she got the cone off (which was last saturday) she is still going up the stairs backwards:o

Im using food, encouragement, praise etc but nothing is working to get her to go upstairs normally. Has anyone ever had something similar happen lol?!! Or any suggestions?!! Its not a big deal really and Im hoping with more time she will get out of this (very quickly formed) habit - but at the moment shes showing no signs of stopping!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,189 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

leave a doggy treat on each step and she will eat them and reach for the next one and will be walking up normally without realising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

maggiepip wrote: »
    - but at the moment shes showing no signs of stopping!!

maybe she likes it.

If there is no harm in her doing it (not causing damage to herself, or being a danger to others) then its probably ok to let her grow out of it herself.
    Sounds like what you are doing already is more than fine.

(first time she gets excited or spooked she will run up the steps quick enough).

Does she do it on other stairs? like outside steps or in other homes?

It may be a balance issue. (but unlikely, im just offering suggestions)
    Have there been anyother weird behaviors which might indicate her balance is off? tiliting her head at strange angles etc Ask the vet if there was any internal damage which could cause her balance to go funny.

If not then dont worry, she has developed a harmless quirk, like most dogs.
    Best case scenario, put a vid on youtube and make some money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I've nothing helpful to add but it sounds hilarious :D

Please please post a video!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

:D Thanks! Its definitely not a balance issue shes absolutely fine healthwise. We're going down to my mothers for the weekend this evening so Ill see how she is on her stairs. A new stairs might sort her out. Yeah my sister told me to upload a video too - need to get the camera out - Im useless with those things:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

She might have developed a bit of a neurosis around the stairs after the incidents with the cone. I had a Vizsla that wouldn't walk across the middle of the living room floor because she slipped on it once or twice. Instead she would walk as close to the walls as possible and crawl under the coffee table on her belly. She also used to walk through doors backwards sometimes; I have no idea why, but I assume she slipped or bumped herself of a door frame at some point.

The idea of leaving a treat on each step might work. :)

• Advertisement

She might have developed a bit of a neurosis around the stairs after the incidents with the cone. I had a Vizsla that wouldn't walk across the middle of the living room floor because she slipped on it once or twice. Instead she would walk as close to the walls as possible and crawl under the coffee table on her belly. She also used to walk through doors backwards sometimes; I have no idea why, but I assume she slipped or bumped herself of a door frame at some point.

The idea of leaving a treat on each step might work. :)

Yeah I think this is what it is actually. She will take the first few steps ok then turns and does the rest backwards - its quite ritualistic and although its quite funny to watch I think its a bit of a fear for her now. The treats on each step at the moment are being taken backwards/sideways - will keep trying:rolleyes:

Here she is - wait for the turn:o (my stairs need a hoover)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQO7dGuxCKk&feature=youtu.be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Awwwww - that is cutely hilarious! Gorgeous dog! And she looks happy out!

I'd try break the habit if possible though - even if it's not doing her any harm now, you wouldn't like it to become a lifelong thing. I know it's different, but our dog developed a habit of licking her paw when anxious, and it ended up being an issue throughout her life where she would have the paw licked raw, and, by the time we realised it was a problem, it was too late and we never managed to break the habit, despite trying EVERYTHING. What age is your Pip?

Have you tried walking up with her - or have somebody walk up with her as you call from the top (possibly holding tasty treats), so that she doesn't have the room to turn around? Or maybe try leading her up? Or, if she chases you when you're running around, try and get her nice and excited then race up the stairs! Since it's early days, hopefully getting her to tackle the stairs headfirst for a week or two should break her of her arse first technique!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Aw she's wagging her tail the whole way up!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Oh lordy, that is so funny! And a little bit sad too.. damn Cone of Shame :mad:

Would she chase a ball up the stairs?

I think I'd stand with her and reward the bejayzus out of her for going up the first couple of steps normally, but nowt for any steps she does backwards. Jackpot rewards, something she really loves. And loads of verbal praise too.

P.S. she is lovely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Maybe it's just a quirky thing. My lab was afriad of her life going up them, now she nearly takes the legs off me sprinting up behind me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

I believe she's been possessed by the ghost of Michael Jackson, I'm sorry but you'll have to get another lab & call her Billie Jean.

DBB wrote: »
    Oh lordy, that is so funny! And a little bit sad too.. damn Cone of Shame :mad:

Would she chase a ball up the stairs?

I think I'd stand with her and reward the bejayzus out of her for going up the first couple of steps normally, but nowt for any steps she does backwards. Jackpot rewards, something she really loves. And loads of verbal praise too.

P.S. she is lovely!

:D Thanks!! Ive truly tried all these things now and she will either back up back down the stairs , simply refuse to move (she can be very stubborn) or go up backwards. But I havent been that consistent - will rectify that...... Shes truly not distressed or anything though..... But it has become quite a time consuming task for her...!

@yellowfeather: thanks! shes 8 and a half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

She looks very pleased with herself! Is it possible that she got so much attention & praise when she started walking up the stairs backwards,that now she is doing it for attention? Maybe if you just ignore her when she is on the stairs for a few days,she will go back to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,455 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is going up backwards problematic?

She may be associating the pain in her ear / the operation with the cone and may fear that if she doesn't go up backwards that the pain will happen and that if she does go backwards there won't be pain.

Reward her for going up forwards only. Do it at different points on the stairs. I'm not sure about chastising her for going up backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Omg what a clever dog to even think of going up backwards with the cone on! She is gorgeous too!

(Sorry ive no practical advice for you :/)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

@yellowfeather: thanks! shes 8 and a half.

It sounds like she has some personality! Fair play to her - I'd do the same if I got into a habit I felt comfortable with! :p

But, I would really try to stop this if I could. You know yourself, dogs can injure themselves going up stairs as they get older. Walking up a whole new way at this age could end up in a trip - and she really goes look awkward as she goes up backwards.

She seems like an absolute dote, and, if she was mine, I'd probably have given her my credit card and PIN number at this stage. But, maybe at this stage, go for a bit of tough love. Allow her up the first few steps when she goes forwards, but refuse to let her any further if she tries to turn around. Keep enforcing this. Have something yummy at the top and, if she wants to get to it, make sure she does it head first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

That a scared dog. She doesnt like using those stairs.
    TillyGirl wrote: »
    Aw she's wagging her tail the whole way up!

Tail wagging isnt just when they are happy, its also when they are nervous and unsure of what is happening.

While it doesnt look like she is terrified she is definitely lacking confidence around stairs. Plenty of reassurance and physical praise will make her feel more at ease.

Walk up with her (forwards) while petting her and giving her lots of treats and reassuring speech and she will eventually relax on the stairs again.
    Start in another room with her in a heel position, your hand on her head or flanks, talk to her, give her a treat and walk around so she follows. Keep her close. then walk her up the stairs like this. talking, petting and feeding all the while. make sure she is relaxed and enjoying it.

Id also take her to stairs outside that do not have enclosed walls like you have there.

Nothing to worry about tho, she looks fine doing it, just (like someone said) probably associating many unpleasant things with the stairs right now and its making her nervous. TLC will get he over it.

Failing that, buy a white hat and start a Michael Jackson dog tribute act.

Thanks to everyone for all your very helpful advice and funny comments!. We are in my mothers for the weekend and the great news is she has no issue with the stairs here - shes going up normally - so the problem hasnt spread thank goodness. Will consistently work on this when we get home. Hopefully - very shortly - she shall be back to normal!

Very pleased to report since coming back from our weekend away Pip is now going up our own stairs normally:D Was actually hoping this might happen but wasnt sure - so the change of stairs for a few days did the trick....yippee!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,455 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think keep up the positive reinforcement for the moment.

Advertisement