Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum ban: Commuting and Transport

Options
  • 14-03-2013 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭

I'd like to appeal a forum ban given to me today for 24 hours in Commuting and Transport and subforums.

This was on the grounds of being uncivil in a post. The post is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83652360&postcount=86

I have messaged Monument, the mod who made the decision, and the mod deems the above post to be "highly inflammatory and abusive". I strongly disagree and it is my contention that the post was simply a scathing response to some misleading discussion taking place, where another poster had been unfairly criticised for a point he had made.

I probably shouldn't post the ins and outs of the PMs sent so far but briefly, I made the point to Monument that the wording of the post above was not that of a gross attempt to cause trouble. The rationale for the narky post was purely in response to what had been written by another poster, which I quoted. I limited my scorn to the one theme in these posts, not a general personal attack on the poster or his other posts.

Furthermore, Victor, another mod in C&S had already looked through the thread presumably as he issued me with a yellow infraction last night for a post a couple of days before. If I had received that infraction immediately, I would have certainly turned down the rhetoric in subsequent posts, including the one I have been banned for. I think banning me was uncalled-for considering I had not been given a warning for "abusive behaviour" when I wrote it. Bans without warning are usually reserved for more severe abuse or direct slanders at other posters etc, so I'm dismayed at how this has happened.

I also pointed out that a differing view of the thread was being taken by the two moderators. I think that the interpretation of my post was unduly harsh and considered in a light which I have not been previously associated with in my nearly ten years on boards. I am not a troublemaker and if I thought I was acting in breach of the charter, I would have stopped responding to the poster involved. A quick PM would have been enough in this circumstance, surely?

(TL;DR) I'm very disappointed that I would be given a ban without warning and I want this ban to be rescinded on the basis of my typical good behaviour on the forum and that I was not directing personal abuse at someone and that I have never been previously warned for abusive language or uncivil behaviour on that forum, never mind in that thread.

So far I have messaged Monument and Victor, with a response from Monument.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Any updates on this? I wasn't sure if I should PM the CMods before opening the thread, my apologies if I was mistaken.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Boards mods are volunteers, so please have a little patience. One of the CMods will review this thread when they have time to do so.

No problem at all! The ban is up tomorrow and the other threads here did seem to have very quick response times, so I thought there was a procedural mistake on my part. I'm quite aware that most boards mods are volunteers and I'm not demanding answers post haste.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'll look at this now. I'll need to hear back from the mod(s) though so that might take time depending.

Hi To_be_confirmed,

I think you may have been the victim of unfortunate timing here. Whereas a few of your posts combined may have warranted a ban under other circumstances, I feel you didn't have the chance to alter your posting style given the lateness of the yellow card, and in-thread warning.

To that end I've requested your ban to be removed. Obviously, the ban has already been automatically lifted at this point, but I'm hoping it can be removed from your record, too.

The mods of C&T are under pressure to maintain decorum in a forum brimming with 'personalities', but it is important that posters receive some kind of warning before being banned. I would however, request that in future you just use the report button if you believe someone is posting not in the spirit of the thread, and not engage them to your detriment.

I hope this outcome is satisfactory for you. :)
    Dades

• Advertisement

Thank you very much.

Are you saying that a number of posts individually warranted a ban, or that some of my posts considered together warranted one?

Beyond looking for the above clarification so that I can accordingly tone it down in future posts, I'm fully satisfied were the ban to be removed from my record.

Are you saying that a number of posts individually warranted a ban, or that some of my posts considered together warranted one?
    The latter. And I only say may have warranted one. The timing issue made that question somewhat superfluous and this dispute easier. :)

Thanks again for the responses!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement