Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Temple Theatre Thread...

• 14-03-2013 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

A place I frequented quite abit in my youth and was looking for some music that was played there to jog the aul memory (something like what was done with the oldskool thread with links to the music) maybe its a big ask and not as popular but sure if you could think of any please post them, I can't really think of more than 10 now and i think most of them are by mauro picotto! :o

so if its from the main room or the crypt please post music or just add some dialog about nights had there

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

To start it off, probably the temple anthem imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭ianuss

I had a load of savage nights in there but I don't think a lot of the music that you would have heard there has aged very well. Either that or I just listened to rubbish music when I was younger.

Great club venue all the same. Such a shame it's gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

Used to go to it religiously between 98-02, then kinda every other week sort of thing, from then until it closed, as it had declined a lot, in the last 3 years or so before it closed. 98/99 were the best years in there imo, was always packed, great atmosphere.

Not really into the music that was played there anymore myself, but there are still a couple i like. These 2 stand out for me anyway, place used to erupt, when they were dropped.

There was a lot, of utter shít played in there too. Heard some of the cheesiest trance music in creation, on the main floor countless times (i'm not a fan of trance after 96ish, as you might be able to tell lol) so i didn't enjoy those nights :D Other than that, i loved hard house at the time, before it became very over bearing around 2001 or so, and the Crypt, was always rocking!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

es-cee wrote: »
    There was a lot, of utter shít played in there too. Heard some of the cheesiest trance music in creation, on the main floor countless times (i'm not a fan of trance after 96ish, as you might be able to tell lol) so i didn't enjoy those nights :D Other than that, i loved hard house at the time, before it became very over bearing around 2001 or so, and the Crypt, was always rocking!!

Never been to the Crypt. What style of music was played there? And what years was it on for?

tdv123 wrote: »
    Never been to the Crypt. What style of music was played there? And what years was it on for?

Was mainly harder styles of dance music, between 98-02. Then for some reason, they changed the music policy to funky house, for about 6 months or so. Needless to say, it was a lot emptier, when that happened, and they quickly changed it back. Was usually hard house on a Friday and Saturday night, in the Crypt. Upstairs was R&B, for a couple of years on a Friday, just before it closed too.

Was mainly harder styles of dance music, between 98-02. Then for some reason, they changed the music policy to funky house, for about 6 months or so. Needless to say, it was a lot emptier, when that happened, and they quickly changed it back. Was usually hard house on a Friday and Saturday night, in the Crypt. Upstairs was R&B, for a couple of years on a Friday, just before it closed too.

The first era of it sounds exactly like my cup of tea because I love HH from around the late 90's - early 00's.

Did the likes of Kavanagh, Keno, Alan Pullen & Ken Tobin play at it?

tdv123 wrote: »
    The first era of it sounds exactly like my cup of tea because I love HH from around the late 90's - early 00's.

Did the likes of Kavanagh, Keno, Alan Pullen & Ken Tobin play at it?

Keno, Orbit, Kavanagh, Pierce Rooney, Jay Pigeon, Ken Tobin, Dj Pressure (played once i recall, hard trance)etc etc. At the time, Kiss 105.7fm was the main dance music radio station, and hard house was at it's peak. So a lot of those DJ's, would have played in it as well. Was a great little spot, kinda like a dungeon, low ceilings, medieval brick work, small DJ box, and an ear splitting sound system (which was probably cutting edge for the times).

• Advertisement

It's a pity camera phones weren't out at the time, as there's no video footage on youtube of it. I remember seeing a short clip of Jay Pigeon, playing this

Whoever had the camera, it was just on Jay, and the front few mad out of it heads, that were bouncing around at the Dj box in the Crypt.

ianuss wrote: »
    I had a load of savage nights in there but I don't think a lot of the music that you would have heard there has aged very well. Either that or I just listened to rubbish music when I was younger.

Great club venue all the same. Such a shame it's gone.

i dont think it was ever the kind of music you would listen to on your ipod lets say but i'd imagine if it was banging in a decent nightclub alot of the music would still hold its own
    These 2 stand out for me anyway, place used to erupt, when they were dropped.

great call for the timo mass tune, it was a stomper :)

Crypt stomper!! Used to be absolutely mashed by about 1am, and this tune was a staple of the Crypt, for about a year anyway, when it was released. Getting shivers down my spine now, actually just thinking about who good that place was!! Would love to relive it one more time!!!! Time machine, destination Crypt, year 2000 :pac:

Suprised no1 has posted this yet, even though it was released in 96, it got plenty of air time, in the Temple, Main floor, and Crypt. As did 'The Dawn' & 'I Don't Care'. Gonna have to root out all my old HH vinyl now, and get spinning, getting goosebumps listening to this stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Keno, Orbit, Kavanagh, Pierce Rooney, Jay Pigeon, Ken Tobin, Dj Pressure (played once i recall, hard trance)etc etc. At the time, Kiss 105.7fm was the main dance music radio station, and hard house was at it's peak. So a lot of those DJ's, would have played in it as well. Was a great little spot, kinda like a dungeon, low ceilings, medieval brick work, small DJ box, and an ear splitting sound system (which was probably cutting edge for the times).

Pierce Rooney ?? He must have been about 4 when the temple was at its height.

• Advertisement

The harder element from the Crypt. Memorys of Steve Thomas playing in there.

I was in the Crypt one night and Liam Dollard was playing and he played this little gem I will never forget it.

Pierce Rooney ?? He must have been about 4 when the temple was at its height.

He played a couple of Baby-Doll nights, with Mark Kavanagh. He's in his mid 30's now btw, good mate of mine ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

I was in the Crypt one night and Liam Dollard was playing and he played this little gem I will never forget it.

Amen to that!! I rember him playing that in the crypt too, october 1999, halloween weekend, platipus sound system were playing in the main room upstairs.

Needless to say, i was in the crypt all night:D

stoksyXL wrote: »

Amen to that!! I rember him playing that in the crypt too, october 1999, halloween weekend, platipus sound system were playing in the main room upstairs.

Needless to say, i was in the crypt all night:D

So was I , I couldn't for the life of me remember who was on upstairs it was a great night. Next day went straight to HMV and bought that record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Used to love when they handed out Mr Freezes was the best thing ever :D

• Advertisement

At the time, Kiss 105.7fm was the main dance music radio station, and hard house was at it's peak. So a lot of those DJ's, would have played in it as well.

Just thinking back now, i remember when Kissfm would go off the air, at around 12-1am every night. They used to have recorded live gigs, from the main floor of the Temple, as a play list. I even recorded quite a few, but can't remember where they are, or wtf happened em now. Most probably lost, or stolen, at house parties etc. Scott Bond, was one of them i recorded. It was a quality set, and this remix was only new out, so woulda been around 1999, or early 2000

Anyway, just wondering if any of you may remember those recordings, or even recorded some yourselves, that you still have today?

Advertisement