Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Temple Theatre Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

They were the **** actually, just thinking back now. Ya'd be home and all in time for last bus haha, but they were still good though.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

es-cee wrote: »
    Was at a few under 18's gigs back in late 96, through 97. Then moved on to the temple after that.

Ah... well then you didn't experience the Temple of Sound. By then it had been invaded and taken over by Club FM plus turned to sh!te... as far as I can remember they took it over around mid 96 or so.

Oh and under 18's gigs too... so an under 18's gig ran by Club FM... man, that was not the Temple of Sound!!!

Ah... well then you didn't experience the Temple of Sound. By then it had been invaded and taken over by Club FM plus turned to sh!te... as far as I can remember they took it over around mid 96 or so.

Well i do remember, Keno & Orbit played a lot of the nights we were at. Think they used to fall once a month or so, usually on a Friday. So you must be right, with the Clubfm taking over thing. I enjoyed them though, between them and the SFX gigs, they were great for someone my age at the time.

Well i do remember, Keno & Orbit played a lot of the nights we were at. Think they used to fall once a month or so, usually on a Friday. So you must be right, with the Clubfm taking over thing. I enjoyed them though, between them and the SFX gigs, they were great for someone my age at the time.

I first went to the Temple of Sound in early 1994 - I would have been 17 I think... the place was unreal, Billy Nasty one night, Dave Clarke the next, then David Holmes, Andy Weatherall, Justin Roberston etc etc etc... sometimes they'd open pretty much the whole hotel ground floor for special events like New Year's eve and that... I could go on and on but words won't recreate what it was like there!

Anyway, everyone does (or should) get a nostalgia kick, when listening to music, or remembering times from your youth, no matter what ya's got up to. If ya's don't, ya's had a pretty **** life, when ya's were younger :D:D:D

• Advertisement

I first went to the Temple of Sound in early 1994 - I would have been 17 I think... the place was unreal, Billy Nasty one night, Dave Clarke the next, then David Holmes, Andy Weatherall, Justin Roberston etc etc etc... sometimes they'd open pretty much the whole hotel ground floor for special events like New Year's eve and that... I could go on and on but words won't recreate what it was like there!

Nice1, it was deffo a changed place when i was there then. Was mostly hard house type stuff, like what was being pushed on Clubfm at the time.

Joe Hart wrote: »
    Producing and not releasing I see.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Darren+Flynn

He's releasing under this alias now man

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Alex+Fixed

Nice1, it was deffo a changed place when i was there then. Was mostly hard house type stuff, like what was being pushed on Clubfm at the time.

The Temple of Sound was pretty much about house and techno... you'd have the likes of Billy Nasty, Fabio Paris etc pushing out further into some acid trance then too.

But yeah I agree that where ever people experience their first nights will always be special... just mine will be more special :pac:

He's releasing under this alias now man

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Alex+Fixed

Definitely had something more recent in the works though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

Calls himself an EDM producer now. No shame.

• Advertisement

The Temple of Sound was pretty much about house and techno... you'd have the likes of Billy Nasty, Fabio Paris etc pushing out further into some acid trance then too.

But yeah I agree that where ever people experience their first nights will always be special... just mine will be more special :pac:

:D:D:D

I always liked that sort of stuff though, I've been listening to dance music since i was a kid. My older cousins, and mates older brother/sisters, used to have loads of tapes, some even had decks, which i used to call record players at the time :o:o:o:o:D But the likes of Billy Nasty etc, would have been known to me at the time, just never really paid attention to names as such, still don't really lol.

The Temple Of Sound, from your era, sounds like a sweet spot though. Would have loved to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,097 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

if theirs any term that should be banned its "EDM" it cheepens dance music

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

:D:D:D

I always liked that sort of stuff though, I've been listening to dance music since i was a kid. My older cousins, and mates older brother/sisters, used to have loads of tapes, some even had decks, which i used to call record players at the time :o:o:o:o:D But the likes of Billy Nasty etc, would have been known to me at the time, just never really paid attention to names as such, still don't really lol.

Billy Nasty at about 2am in the 'Temple' circa 1994 - this would have been blowing the place to bits.

Billy Nasty at about 2am in the 'Temple' circa 1994 - this would have been blowing the place to bits.

That's a fúckin tune right there!!

That's a fúckin tune right there!!

Noom is one of my favorite labels btw, unreal label!!

Noom is one of my favorite labels btw, unreal label!!

Billy Nasty was big with the Noom tracks around then, he was how I first started chasing everything on that label.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Was never in the Temple of Sound unfortunately. Have a load of their flyers, some guests they were bringing over. Billy Scurry resident aswell, best dj to ever come out of Dublin for me

Billy Nasty was big with the Noom tracks around then, he was how I first started chasing everything on that label.

Quality, i've heard a good few of his mixes, some were crazy heavy. I had a tape one time, i'm not sure if i still have it, i'll try and root it out. Fúckin mental heavy shít on it, banging wasn't the word!

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Was never in the Temple of Sound unfortunately. Have a load of their flyers, some guests they were bringing over. Billy Scurry resident aswell, best dj to ever come out of Dublin for me

Good techno mix from him, around 98 or so, floating about. You might already have it, but if not, i'll try root that out too :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Ah Billy Nasty Journeys by Djs I had that many moons ago.

There were a shed load of his mixes posted on the old Asylum thread, not gonna start rooting back through all those pages, but they're there somewhere, for anyone with patience, and a day to spare :D

Billy Mays wrote: »

Yeah Billy Scurry was fukin quality alright, loved him and Johnny Moy on a Friday night in the ToS. Or quite often they'd play along with the guest on a Saturday, Scurry generally gave as good as whatever big shot guest! As did Moy a lot too, regardless of being an arrogant cvnt!

Quality, i've heard a good few of his mixes, some were crazy heavy. I had a tape one time, i'm not sure if i still have it, i'll try and root it out. Fúckin mental heavy shít on it, banging wasn't the word!

Yeah he generally ramped it up to a pretty full on set, banging techno and acid trance always featured later in the night.

Yeah Billy Scurry was fukin quality alright, loved him and Johnny Moy on a Friday night in the ToS. Or quite often they'd play along with the guest on a Saturday, Scurry generally gave as good as whatever big shot guest! As did Moy a lot too, regardless of being an arrogant cvnt!

Heard about Moy alright, not into his music either, always plays very commercial sounding stuff.

Ah Billy Nasty Journeys by Djs I had that many moons ago.

That was one of the first mix CDs I bought - terrible mixing but really nice early house and a great selection... he progressed pretty quickly after that though to techno.

Hasn't been a tune posted in a while, so here's about as far as i will go with trance music :pac: Stuff like this is bearable, but still not something i'm overly fond of. Temple Theatre tune, all the same though.

That was one of the first mix CDs I bought - terrible mixing but really nice early house and a great selection... he progressed pretty quickly after that though to techno.

Beat me to it :D

Heard about Moy alright, not into his music either, always plays very commercial sounding stuff.

Ah in fairness he was a good DJ - he had quite an ability to build a set, he was just a moody fcker though. I remember once there was a guest DJ playing and he really wasn't getting the place going, really slow stuff - lots of people complained to Ken the manager in the ToS and he was taken off - Moy came on and played even fukin slower - he started with this, great track but not at 1am to a club full of people off their faces and looking to hop around the place!

• Advertisement

Ah in fairness he was a good DJ - he had quite an ability to build a set, he was just a moody fcker though. I remember once there was a guest DJ playing and he really wasn't getting the place going, really slow stuff - lots of people complained to Ken the manager in the ToS and he was taken off - Moy came on and played even fukin slower - he started with this, great track but not at 1am to a club full of people off their faces and looking to hop around the place!

That's what i loved, about places like the Temple Theatre, SFX etc. Even though hard house is very simplistic music, it has load of energy, and ya can just lose yourself in it, even if it's just for one night while out of it. I loved it though, i must admit, and i've even been getting back into some newer stuff lately. Pierce Rooney sent me loads of deadly mixes the other day, that i've enjoyed immensely, over the last few days.

Advertisement