Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diagnosing your PC

Options
  • 14-03-2013 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭

Okay so I have a major problem. I have a ASUS K55VD laptop running windows 8 preinstalled when I bought it. Two days ago I decided it was time to move my steam folder from the C drive to the D drive as C only had 16 GB free. I follow the instructions here. It worked perfectly and the games all worked when I tried them.

After about two hours I decided to restart the laptop but once it restarted it said “Preparing Automatic Repair” followed by “Diagnosing your PC” and then "repairing disk errors this might take over an hour to complete". After 30 or so minutes the screen goes black and nothing. I tried leaving it a few hours but nothing. After manually powering it off and retrying, sometimes it only goes to diagnosing your PC and sticks there forever.

After trying F8, shift and F8, windows key and R, none of which worked, I figured out ctrl alt del brought up a Aptios Setup Utility menu, or BIOS I believe. I made a windows 8 repair disk from here and switch the boot option #1 to DVD/CD drive and got a white loading bar at the bottom followed by a broken blue bar at the top left hand corner of the screen before the laptop shuts down.

Shift and F8 now brings up the dos style advanced setup options with safe mode,start normally and a few other options. Choosing safe mode makes it start to load with safe mode wrote on the four corners of the screen before it shuts down. Start normally again starts to load before shutting down.

Windows key and R now also works using the DVD and brings up a windows boot manager screen with "windows setup (EMS Enbled)", choosing this does nothing. There's also Tools: Windows memory diagnostic. In here it says the following, "Windows failed to start. A Recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem : 1. Insert your windows installation disc and and restart your computer. 2. choose you language settings and the click next. 3. Click repair your computer. File: \boot\memtest.exe Status: 0xc000000f Info: The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors."

I don't have an installation disc other than the repair one I made and I'm not great with computers so I'm all out of ideas.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Okay so I have a major problem. I have a ASUS K55VD laptop running windows 8 preinstalled when I bought it. Two days ago I decided it was time to move my steam folder from the C drive to the D drive as C only had 16 GB free. I follow the instructions here. It worked perfectly and the games all worked when I tried them.

After about two hours I decided to restart the laptop but once it restarted it said “Preparing Automatic Repair” followed by “Diagnosing your PC” and then "repairing disk errors this might take over an hour to complete". After 30 or so minutes the screen goes black and nothing. I tried leaving it a few hours but nothing. After manually powering it off and retrying, sometimes it only goes to diagnosing your PC and sticks there forever.

After trying F8, shift and F8, windows key and R, none of which worked, I figured out ctrl alt del brought up a Aptios Setup Utility menu, or BIOS I believe. I made a windows 8 repair disk from here and switch the boot option #1 to DVD/CD drive and got a white loading bar at the bottom followed by a broken blue bar at the top left hand corner of the screen before the laptop shuts down.

Shift and F8 now brings up the dos style advanced setup options with safe mode,start normally and a few other options. Choosing safe mode makes it start to load with safe mode wrote on the four corners of the screen before it shuts down. Start normally again starts to load before shutting down.

Windows key and R now also works using the DVD and brings up a windows boot manager screen with "windows setup (EMS Enbled)", choosing this does nothing. There's also Tools: Windows memory diagnostic. In here it says the following, "Windows failed to start. A Recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem : 1. Insert your windows installation disc and and restart your computer. 2. choose you language settings and the click next. 3. Click repair your computer. File: \boot\memtest.exe Status: 0xc000000f Info: The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors."

I don't have an installation disc other than the repair one I made and I'm not great with computers so I'm all out of ideas.

It could well be hardware failure, have you noticed any audible clicking coming from the machine?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

No I've put my ear to the laptop to listen for any odd noises but sounds ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

Did you get this fixed? It is just after happening to me. I did followed all the instructions only for it to say that 'no solution could be found'. From what I can see on Microsoft it is common to happen when you have an upgrade or installation and my computer upgraded the other night. I really need to get my computer working tonight as I have a load of work to finish that I had hoped to get done tonight so I didn't have to spend the weekend working. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Eabhabear wrote: »
    Did you get this fixed? It is just after happening to me. I did followed all the instructions only for it to say that 'no solution could be found'. From what I can see on Microsoft it is common to happen when you have an upgrade or installation and my computer upgraded the other night. I really need to get my computer working tonight as I have a load of work to finish that I had hoped to get done tonight so I didn't have to spend the weekend working. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I have since got this working thank God. If you haven't I followed the exact method at this link http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139576-startup-repair-infinite-loop-recovery.html and all my files are still intact. It appears to be working properly so hopefully won't crash again.

I have since got this working thank God. If you haven't I followed the exact method at this link http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139576-startup-repair-infinite-loop-recovery.html and all my files are still intact. It appears to be working properly so hopefully won't crash again.

No I had given up on it for today as I've wasted two days at it but I'm going try your suggestion asap thanks

• Advertisement

No I had given up on it for today as I've wasted two days at it but I'm going try your suggestion asap thanks

I hope you get it working. Mine went again but I now think it is a faulty charger causing my laptop to overheat that is the problem. It went again when I put the charger in so I'm still trying to figure out the cause through process of elimination!

I hope you get it working. Mine went again but I now think it is a faulty charger causing my laptop to overheat that is the problem. It went again when I put the charger in so I'm still trying to figure out the cause through process of elimination!

Unfortunately yours is a windows 7 problem and mine is windows 8 which run differently. Windows 8 has been a pain since the day I got the laptop tbh. I think my only hope is to get a windows 8 installation disc as the repair disc I made doesn't seem to give me an option to repair it. How do I get one without buying it?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,319 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You have a couple options, they are the ones I try to warn people about at purchase, because nobody typically bothers doing the Right Way at the time of purchase, and it leads to problems. The right way, was to create a Recovery Drive in the same manner you would normally create your Windows Backup Discs in the past when you bought a new computer, since none ship with prefab discs anymore. This would have given you a clean installation option in hand.*

Without that option,

-You can contact ASUS or go to your product support page and see if they have a copy of the OEM Discs available for your model. Pricing varies, and shipping takes a minute.
    -Go into a Brick and Mortar, and buy Windows 8 Pro Upgrade off the shelf. This is an expensive option. And I don't know that Windows 8 Std upgrade will hack it.
    -Return or Exchange the computer, if you are within the window of time.

*Having said that though, your Recovery Partition should still be intact, so from the Blue recovery menu you should be able to enable the refresh option. This won't affect your files, it just reinstalls the windows operating system in cases where those files stop working properly. The other is a cleanup refresh, which will wipe out all your files and folders but get you back to the out-of-box state. Obviously, I'd try the one that doesnt affect your files first. This is one of the cool new features of 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Firblog

Overheal wrote: »
    since none ship with prefab discs anymore.

FYI Fujitsu always ship Discs with O/S, Drivers and Applications with new machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,319 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Firblog wrote: »
    FYI Fujitsu always ship Discs with O/S, Drivers and Applications with new machines.
    most manufacturers then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement