Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB The Quay, what a mess!

Options
  • 14-03-2013 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

Was in the Aib on the Quay there the other day, what a nightmare, when i got in there there was a que from the door all the way to the cahier, when i got to the 2 cashiers there was still a que back down to the door and EVERYBODY in the que seemed angry and disgruntled, there were one or two availing of the machines to the side but the vast majority still wanted to see someone face to face.

The bank for those that dont know has a new layout and there are now only 2 spaces in the bank for cashiers, the rest are automated machines, Have to say i was really dissapointed with the service, one of the cahiers abandonned her post to do something else so we were even only down to one cahier at one point, This was about 11am, after that i would seriously consider changin banks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Problem is who do you go to? They are all shedding staff and going automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭aziz

, after that i would seriously consider changin banks![/QUOTE]

Banks are like political partys,only a few to choose from and they are all s##t

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Problem is who do you go to? They are all shedding staff and going automatic.

Thats it, i dont know who i would go to, I know there was an english guy who was openning a bank i think it was called the bank of Dave, must google it, but he was like openning up a bank for the people, How about the credit union? but i suppose theyre arent as easy to work with as the main banks?

Its a bit of a kick in the face of the people who saved their skin though to treat them like cattle in a slaughter house, I think we all know they are trying to push people to use internet banking more so! theres one particular member of staff in there that always has a puss on her face my god that hasnt changed either!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I left AIB when they brought in charges. I moved to BOI..... who brought in charges!

My other half has a student account with AIB and I had to lodge a check for him a few weeks ago. As you said queue out the door! They're were 20 offers from staff to move me to a machine. I refused. The only way I could use the machine was to use my other half's card and PIN to lodge the cheque, she said that would be OK :0.

I am in the process of setting up a Credit Union current account in the Grange. You can get paid into it and pay you bills with internet banking. They dont do a debit card but I have a credit card with a tiny credit limit, so I'll use that for card transaction.

And dont get me started on charging me 30c to withdraw money from my account in the post office!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭decies

The monkeys right bloody mess not to mention the elderlys just cant be arsed with machines, remember the eircom place in red square upper, nobody could use the machine to pay the bill ,they had to have woman standing there to help you, think its a clothes shop now!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

I find using the machines in the banks great I was in and out in 3 mins when I was lodging a cheque it was dead simple and saved the time of having to wait to be called by a cashier. I use internet banking all the time it's the direction the banks are heading in so love it or hate it we have to get used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭rude awakening

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I am in the process of setting up a Credit Union current account in the Grange.

They are also linked to the Credit Union in Parnell street so you can lodge, pay and withdraw from your own account in both.

Online service also available
    http://www.waterfordcu.ie/

decies wrote: »
    The monkeys right bloody mess not to mention the elderlys just cant be arsed with machines, remember the eircom place in red square upper, nobody could use the machine to pay the bill ,they had to have woman standing there to help you, think its a clothes shop now!!!

Excuse me I wasn't a woman, i was just a girl then!!

They are also linked to the Credit Union in Parnell street so you can lodge, pay and withdraw from your own account in both.

Online service also available
    http://www.waterfordcu.ie/

True, but you cant park outside the door and get two kids into a buggy in Parnell St.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

It's the same in Dublin. They're forcing people to get into the habit of using machines. There is about 3 staff walking around the place while there is one person on the till who couldnt possible to be slower.

Meanwhile theyre as awkward and rude as possible when they deal with you. It's to make you use the machine which are great but for sometimes you need a teller and one who can do their job properly and swiftly

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    True, but you cant park outside the door and get two kids into a buggy in Parnell St.!

I know your talking about the Credit union but you cant park outside AIB the Quay either, not to mention get up Steps with a buggy, dont know how wheel chair users get in?

I know alot of people are saying its the way things are going but still its the principle, its our money, it is in theory our bank, our money is there and we bailed them out so they should listen to what we want, and while i agree sometimes its easy to run in and out and use a machine alot of people dont want to use a machine, alot of people might not be educated enough to use machines we do have a have percentage of literacy problems in this country, cant find the stats now but it is actually quite high, also theres older people and not people in 80s your talking people who werent born in the computer age so your looking at people who are in 50's (not all) who arent used to using computers and maybe think i cant do it.

Still going into a bank and when you HAVE TO que up and wait for a long time is really annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I do my banking through Danske Bank, formerly national irish bank. All your personal banking is done online and lodgements are made through your local post office. They still have the branch open in town with a few, what i would call, customer service staff in there. The premises is completely cashless though so withdrawing large amounts is difficult as you deal with an ATM and not a cashier. I can edit standing orders myself and everything, for instance our mortgage comes out every week but my car payment also comes out one of those weeks so i can choose to skip the mortgage payment until the following week with the click of a mouse. Dead handy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

To be honest, for the vast majority of cases where people go to the bank they don't actually need to.

Lodging money is the only reason why I go to the bank, anything else is done through a machine or on-line. Hell I could use a automated machine for lodging money if I wanted so I wouldn't have to speak to anyone.

Cabaal wrote: »
    To be honest, for the vast majority of cases where people go to the bank they don't actually need to.

Lodging money is the only reason why I go to the bank, anything else is done through a machine or on-line. Hell I could use a automated machine for lodging money if I wanted so I wouldn't have to speak to anyone.

Thats grand for you in fairness but it doesnt suit everybody! I dont think there are many people who would like to say to a person pushing them towards an automated machine sorry i cant read or write! or i really dont know what im doing, I know thats what they are there for but they wont always be there!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thats grand for you in fairness but it doesnt suit everybody! I dont think there are many people who would like to say to a person pushing them towards an automated machine sorry i cant read or write! or i really dont know what im doing, I know thats what they are there for but they wont always be there!

I agree there are exceptions, especially with older people.

But many people continue to go to banks even though they have access to smart phones and online banking because they don't know any better, I honestly don't blame company's for pushing people towards the services they have,

I know many many people who will go to a bank to transfer money even though the money is in their account AND they have an iphone or some other smartphone. They could transfer the money faster using the phone either via an app or by calling the bank.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

AIB on The Quay was one of the last banks to introduce the changes and move towards a 21st century approach to banking. The problem is that many people refuse to use the machines, which are as simple as the alphabet. Even if the alphabet simplicity trips you up, they have some staff on the floor to help and that's their sole job is to help you. On the plus side, at least one of the staff on the floor is an attractive looking girl - all the more reason to want to use the machines! :D

Could they have made it easier? Sure. I walked into the bank a day or two after it happened and couldn't use the machines. Nobody had told me they were changing the system, and as I had business accounts I wasn't able to use the machines without a new type of card which was never sent out. So I had to queue. A nightmare, but once I ordered the cards and they arrived - I am in and out in a jiffy while the vast majority hang around waiting for the two people to serve them. Its a lot quicker than the old system. AIB should have told people about the move and made the transition easier, but it appears they didn't. But, either way, its time people accepted that the machines are much faster for lodgements and withdrawals for your own account (or an account you have the card & pin for, so a partner depending on how he/she trusts you!).

They only have two counters because they know the majority of people can do banking via the machines. Those who genuinely can't or have another query can use the counter.

Bank of Ireland introduced a similar system before AIB. Its only a matter of time that others follow suit, as this type of banking is common across Europe. I believe AIB intends to add banking lobbies like they have in Europe - where you can walk into a building lobby at night and lodge/withdraw money. Its a faster, cheaper and much more effective way to do your banking. A lot of which can also be done online these days (phone, tablet, PC, laptop - they have sites developed to cater for each).

There seems a mentality by some of wanting it handed to them on a plate. Banks needed to introduce fees because the 'free' service wasn't helping them and considering the state of economic affairs we are in, its no surprise they changed. I believe all banks have done it now. They wanted to cut the wage bill by introducing a system that was automated for the majority of peoples daily banking needs (alongside the mobile & web solutions) which is a win win for both the bank and the customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Sully wrote: »
    AIB on The Quay was one of the last banks to introduce the changes and move towards a 21st century approach to banking. The problem is that many people refuse to use the machines, which are as simple as the alphabet. Even if the alphabet simplicity trips you up, they have some staff on the floor to help and that's their sole job is to help you. On the plus side, at least one of the staff on the floor is an attractive looking girl - all the more reason to want to use the machines! :D

Could they have made it easier? Sure. I walked into the bank a day or two after it happened and couldn't use the machines. Nobody had told me they were changing the system, and as I had business accounts I wasn't able to use the machines without a new type of card which was never sent out. So I had to queue. A nightmare, but once I ordered the cards and they arrived - I am in and out in a jiffy while the vast majority hang around waiting for the two people to serve them. Its a lot quicker than the old system. AIB should have told people about the move and made the transition easier, but it appears they didn't. But, either way, its time people accepted that the machines are much faster for lodgements and withdrawals for your own account (or an account you have the card & pin for, so a partner depending on how he/she trusts you!).

They only have two counters because they know the majority of people can do banking via the machines. Those who genuinely can't or have another query can use the counter.

Bank of Ireland introduced a similar system before AIB. Its only a matter of time that others follow suit, as this type of banking is common across Europe. I believe AIB intends to add banking lobbies like they have in Europe - where you can walk into a building lobby at night and lodge/withdraw money. Its a faster, cheaper and much more effective way to do your banking. A lot of which can also be done online these days (phone, tablet, PC, laptop - they have sites developed to cater for each).

There seems a mentality by some of wanting it handed to them on a plate. Banks needed to introduce fees because the 'free' service wasn't helping them and considering the state of economic affairs we are in, its no surprise they changed. I believe all banks have done it now. They wanted to cut the wage bill by introducing a system that was automated for the majority of peoples daily banking needs (alongside the mobile & web solutions) which is a win win for both the bank and the customer.

Its a bit like the government - we loved Fianna Fail for giving it all to us, but when they blew the piggy bank and spent all our money we threw them out hoping that FG/Lab would put us back in the riches overnight. Instead (aside from the political promises, which is a different kettle of fish) people bemoan the government largely for us being still in difficult economic straits (which will take a number of years to fix) and we are now looking to vote back in Fianna Fail who are back promising us the sun, moon and stars!

Jesus dont let this thread get political like the others :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

S28382 wrote: »
    Jesus dont let this thread get political like the others :eek:

Yeah, fair point. Fixed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I had an Ulster Bank 'Direct Saver' account which is a
    strictly on line account, that is until you want to 'close' the account.

Then you have to write or call into the bank to get it closed.:mad:

danjo-xx wrote: »
    I had an Ulster Bank 'Direct Saver' account which is a
    strictly on line account, that is until you want to 'close' the account.

Then you have to write or call into the bank to get it closed.:mad:

But odds are to create it in the first place you also had to visit a branch or at the very least post back documents to prove who you are.

You also agreed to the T&C's when you created the account which would have covered closing it.

I created a savings account with Rabo and whilst its all online (they have NO branches at all), you still have to post them scans of documents to create the account).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

I have to agree with the OP. That branch is a mess, as is Lisduggen.

It seems banks these days have taken on a policy of being as unhelpful as possible. They're supposed to be helping small businesses, for example, as they're the 'lifeblood of the economy' - but I can tell you they're hindering far more than helping.

And a some of the more long-serving bank staff really need a lesson in who is the master and who the servant. The attitude that they're doing us a favour is quite prevalent.

Which is strange, really, when if you think about it, with banks charging ever more for their services, and giving ever less returns on investment, what is the point of them?

If I kept what little money I have in a safe in my house it would earn only very slightly less than it does now, and would cost me nothing.

Considering the banks messed up not only their own businesses but the whole country, then were bailed out by the taxpayer, you'd think they should be a little more humble.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

I agree, it is Bedlam down there since they have changed it.

In theory, the machines are very useful, but you can really only do limited things, sometimes you have to see a member of staff.

Only two cashiers, and one of them is the most unhelpful woman, with such an attitude.

I see what they were trying to achieve, but it has just been counteractive. It takes ten times as long now.

Yeah there is a girl in there that i always try avoid the big girl she never ever smiles and makes it look like your annoying her simply by being there sour puss isnt the word, I had to go to the cahier as there was no other way at this particular time to put money into a kids saver account, so we had to que regardless!

Life is not always as easy as ABC for some people, When youve got 3 kids under 10 your all over the shop, you have other things to do in life and having key cards etc etc and not remembering where they are doesnt help, ITS NOT always as simple as ABC for everybody! every persons situation is different!

Yeah there is a girl in there that i always try avoid the big girl she never ever smiles and makes it look like your annoying her simply by being there sour puss isnt the word, I had to go to the cahier as there was no other way at this particular time to put money into a kids saver account, so we had to que regardless!

Life is not always as easy as ABC for some people, When youve got 3 kids under 10 your all over the shop, you have other things to do in life and having key cards etc etc and not remembering where they are doesnt help, ITS NOT always as simple as ABC for everybody! every persons situation is different!

Which is why, as I said, there is a lady whose sole purpose is to make it as simple as ABC. If she cant help, then join the queue. Plus, not everybody goes into the bank with 3 kids and by the looks of the line, the majority don't bother with the machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Cabaal wrote: »
    But odds are to create it in the first place you also had to visit a branch or at the very least post back documents to prove who you are.

You also agreed to the T&C's when you created the account which would have covered closing it.

I created a savings account with Rabo and whilst its all online (they have NO branches at all), you still have to post them scans of documents to create the account).

I opened the account on the simple basis that it was sold to me, e.g. 'strictly on line account' which suits me fine as I don't like going to branches any more.

Other on line accounts that I have had have always given me an option when transferring money out of a little box to tick, which says, ' close account'

I thought we were all in the 21st century but apparently not.

danjo-xx wrote: »
    I opened the account on the simple basis that it was sold to me, e.g. 'strictly on line account' which suits me fine as I don't like going to branches any more.

Other on line accounts that I have had have always given me an option when transferring money out of a little box to tick, which says, ' close account'

I thought we were all in the 21st century but apparently not.

Yes we can do that but its not right for everybody obviously which is why there was a que out the door! and why there was still a que out the door when i was finished my business! Obviously its not working! maybe as some of you said it will force people to now stay away! The other point is why am i being charged quarterly fees then if im not even able to deal with a cashier, alot of people still like to have the human touch as part of their service, not saying me just saying in general, If im not using a bank building then why am i being charged quarterly fees for them to have my money?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Aib want to let thousands of their staff go and be replaced by machines , I used the quick lodge machine in the past but the new machines are a bit of a pain to use, they cannot recognize a lot of the hand written cheques, so you have to enter the value manually, probably adds another 5 mins to lodge a 6 cheques so no big deal I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

This is my rant for aib on the quay, today I went in to lodge money into my account. I normally use the machines as its quickedt. Now the machine is having trouble accepting my card even though it works in any ATM. They state on a sign you could be waiting 25 minutes to be served st the counter but to me it looked way longer. There was girl keeping an eye on the machines and her only advice was to order a new card and queue for the counter. So I stormed out of the bank and ended up going to the post office on O'Connell street and had my business done in 2 minutes flat.

madfcuker wrote: »
    This is my rant for aib on the quay, today I went in to lodge money into my account. I normally use the machines as its quickedt. Now the machine is having trouble accepting my card even though it works in any ATM. They state on a sign you could be waiting 25 minutes to be served st the counter but to me it looked way longer. There was girl keeping an eye on the machines and her only advice was to order a new card and queue for the counter. So I stormed out of the bank and ended up going to the post office on O'Connell street and had my business done in 2 minutes flat.

Its common for such cards to be hit and miss if they develop a fault, well before the change I had a problem where it worked everywhere bar the banks.

Same with my student card - worked at the pay stations but not in the shops.

Just a fault so you replace the card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I was in this morning all systems down cant accept cash or cheques, just got a phone call from a friend of mine in Belguim , money in his account TSB he cant access it , he was told problem with your bank.....
    Sh1t I hope thats all it is.

Advertisement