Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making friends - easy or hard?

Options
  • 14-03-2013 7:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18

how do you find making friends? im in my 30's and have 2 children and while i have some friends i do find it very hard to meet new people. not from not trying dont get me wrong, i just feel sometimes that people dont want to make new friends and are happy as they are? anyone else find that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

best way is to join a group or club that interests you. Could be anything at all, but you will always find people with similar interests and good craic. You got any hobbies, or things you always wanted to try (i know its not going to be easy to find time with 2 kids).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 mamabear82

jamesdiver wrote: »
    best way is to join a group or club that interests you. Could be anything at all, but you will always find people with similar interests and good craic. You got any hobbies, or things you always wanted to try (i know its not going to be easy to find time with 2 kids).

im fairly easy going tbh. i like walking, bit of a TV Geek, lately im big into photography but thats about it like you said its a bit hard getting me time with 2 kids

well there is a massive group of people interested in photography! (i cant even take a photo with a camera phone!). Photography can then lead you to the outdoors, and again lots of groups go hiking, walking etc etc. You could even try some scuba diving :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

mamabear82 wrote: »
    how do you find making friends? im in my 30's and have 2 children and while i have some friends i do find it very hard to meet new people. not from not trying dont get me wrong, i just feel sometimes that people dont want to make new friends and are happy as they are? anyone else find that?

I think its harder to meet new people in smaller towns or in rural areas.

I don't know if you are already joined a gym but sometimes that can be a good place to make a new friend.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Where abouts do you live, OP? People might be able to give you more specific suggestions.

• Advertisement

thanks for all the replies, gym check! but im a lazy cow and hate it :( im in loughrea

oh and scuba diving eh no! im not a strong swimmer, id love to watch though lol

It doesnt lend itself to being much of a spectator sport unfortunately, unless you like watching bubbles on the surface.

How about kayaking, or rowing, or something like that. Never mind the gym, that'l tone ya up.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭tony2phones

No Gym in Loughrea but there are a few groups, Loughrea on line has a few details http://www.loughreaonline.com/clubsandsocieties.php or contact the Family resource centre http://www.loughreafamilyresource.ie/ There are set dancing Classes at Kinsellas bar and a couple of other places around town. There are Camera Club in Loughrea http://www.portumnacameraclub.com/contact.html and Portumna http://www.portumnacameraclub.com/contact.html Kids clubs are great to meet other Parents

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There's a photography group that meets in the GMIT every so often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Even without children to tie you down, making new friends does get harder as more of your peers get tied up with families (kids, elderly parents) or careers. Actually, having kids can sometimes help 'cos you meet other parents thru sports etc, and having to negotiate re kids activies can bring you into contact with new people.

This isn't specific to County Galway, though, it's a world-wide phenomina.

Also some Irish people have the attitude of not expecting to make any new friends after college (or even school). Not all of them, for sure, but some. And this does have an impact on the pool of people available to make friends with.

Joining clubs/activities is usually the best approach. If you can't find the time apart from your kids, maybe look for some all-age things that happen at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Miss OMMC

Hi Mamabear,

Im in my 30's with two kids and not too far from loughrea. Im in Galway just over a year and still dont know too many people so definitely open to making new friends. PM if you'd like to meetup sometime or if you'd be interested in joining a photography group as its one of my interests also.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As a suggestion you could have a ladies afternoon tea in Loughrea/Anthenry. With a heads up of 4-5 weeks it should be easy to plan.

We have boards beer meetings all the time and I've meet many really nice boardsies there.

Advertisement