Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford from Space

Options
  • 14-03-2013 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Just seen this on Broadsheet

From here originally

2mrzo8k.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Oh wow...thats awesome, to be actually recognized as a place by an Astronaut!

Hey, WAIT A MINUTE that river looks clean! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭gw80

Oh wow...thats awesome, to be actually recognized as a place by an Astronaut!

Hey, WAIT A MINUTE that river looks clean! :eek:

that river is clean

its a "world renound trout fishing river" and still holds the record for irish rod caught salmon,
    trout are very sensitive to pollution,

it looks "dirty" at the estuary end of the river and there are some waste pipes entering it, but so do most large rivers that pass threw towns and cities on its tidal stretches

gw80 wrote: »
    that river is clean

its a "world renound trout fishing river" and still holds the record for irish rod caught salmon,
    trout are very sensitive to pollution,

it looks "dirty" at the estuary end of the river and there are some waste pipes entering it, but so do most large rivers that pass threw towns and cities on its tidal stretches

I know I was only joking :p
    I'm well aware the brown colour is from the silt thrown up by the tidal forces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

I can see my shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Is the river Suir one of the fastest flowing rivers in Europe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

And if you squint real hard you can see How Do....

Finnbar01 wrote: »

So its been said hundreds of times, but has never been backed up with any evidence other than hearsay. Ive seen rivers that flow much faster than the suir. Maybe its a tidal thing.

I know I was only joking :p
    I'm well aware the brown colour is from the silt thrown up by the tidal forces.

just read my own thread back there, id does read a bit snotty, not my intentions,sorry

i never heard that before but i think it might be one of the deepest in ireland around rice bridge,

gw80 wrote: »
    i never heard that before but i think it might be one of the deepest in ireland around rice bridge,

How deep is it do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

How deep is it do you know?
    I think it's close to 20 metres near the bridge, but it's over 30 metres deep up the river at Grannagh.

http://www.visitmyharbour.com/harbours/east-and-south-of-ireland/waterford-and-suir/chart/8D115FB7F7F51/waterford-detailed-harbour-chart-2011

This page shows the charts for the river up to the bridge. The depths shown are in Metres, and are the depths taken at low tide.

How much does the tide rise up at full height?

How much does the tide rise up at full height?
    That depends on if it's a spring tide or not. It can vary anything between 2m and 4m as far as I know.

I'd say if that river could 'speak', imagine the stories it could tell? The river Suir has been used for thousands of years as a gateway into and out of Ireland - trade,immigration etc.

I find it mad that at some places it can be less than 1 meter where you could probably stand in the middle of the river, then theres random 18m gorges that just drop down. It must be a crazy river bed down there.
    I dont suppose anybody has ever dived down there or surveyed it aside from with technology.

Advertisement