Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping in the US

Options
  • 14-03-2013 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    As a newbie to the US, can someone please advise on a couple of things, thanks.
    1. What IS the story with tipping, who and how much?
    2. Car hire - looking at a few co's. Seems that they provide 3rd party fire and theft insurance rather than fully comp. Is that typical?
    3. Best way to do the Sat Nav as to get thro car hire is rip-off, it seems.
    anything else?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You usually tip waitresses a couple dollars. On some bills there is a "service charge included", this means tip is already included.

You can download map apps for your smart phone to use instead, mind they're usually not as good as a proper sat nav. Also some will need a data connection.
    DO NOT use data connection in US when roaming, it's incredibly expensive. I was there a few weeks ago and burned 30 euro in less than a day by mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

biko wrote: »
    You usually tip waitresses a couple dollars. On some bills there is a "service charge included", this means tip is already included.

No, not true at all. Nowhere in the US is that true. (it sounds more like england??)

A "couple dollars"??? Do that at your hotel and you'll find your coffee tasting "funny" at breakfast the next day.

15% is the minimum. So if its $30 then you tip $4.50, if its $60 you give them $9. $120 and you give them $18. It stays 15% all the way up the ladder..

Every time too.

Any less than that and they'll take it as a message that they didnt do a good job or thats there's something wrong with you, they certainly wont be happy.

The "service charge included" message is very rare and usually only applies to large groups.

These people work for minmum wage with no safety nets like at home. It can be a hard life and they depend on tips. And dont give Irish tourists a bad name!

This is why americans have such a reputation for being big tippers, its part of the transaction for them.

73trix wrote: »
    3. Best way to do the Sat Nav as to get thro car hire is rip-off, it seems.
    anything else?
    Thanks!

Any reasonable mall will have some electronics chainstore, if you're going to be here long enough you could buy one:

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_query=gps&Find=Find&search_constraint=0

Hi,
    2. Car hire - looking at a few co's. Seems that they provide 3rd party fire and theft insurance rather than fully comp. Is that typical?

Different states have different rules about Auto Insurance requirements for hire cars.

Its usually good to call the company and check. Fully comprehensive should be available.

You might try phrasing it differently and maybe looking for zero deductible? Something like that? "Comprehensive" isnt a word that Americans use for insurance. Or call them, thats always best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Absolutely tip at least 15% for food in a cafe/restaurant. A couple of dollars on a cab fare, $1 a drink to the bar staff. Tipping is a major (unreceipted) expense on a US trip when you add those to doormen, porters, etc.

Check out arguscarhire.com - they are an intermediary but their all inclusive prices usually are way cheaper than going direct with a hire company, includes all insurance and usually a full tank of fuel too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Anyone used economycarrentals.com?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

athtrasna wrote: »
    Absolutely tip at least 15% for food in a cafe/restaurant. A couple of dollars on a cab fare, $1 a drink to the bar staff. Tipping is a major (unreceipted) expense on a US trip when you add those to doormen, porters, etc.

15% is the bare minimum here in the Bay Area - most places now are 20% (restaurants, bistros etc) and the rule of thumb for drinks is $1 a beer, $2 a mixer and $4 for a cocktail. If you are settling in to a place for a few drinks, the higher the "per drink" tip you give, the quicker your service will be the next round.

Taxi's - i tend to round up a couple of dollars on the meter and add 1 per bag that he helped with.

At hotels, you need to leave a tip every day in your room for the cleaners, and downstairs tip the doorman if he gets you a cab or organizes something for you - never tip a receptionist and if you're drinking at the bar, put the drinks on your room bill but always have a few dollars for the servers/barman

Tips say a lot, I didn't tip a cab driver on the way back from the airport (i live in SF city) as he took me a crap route and ignored me telling him a better way to go as he thought I was "just a tourist". I hate the whole process of tipping, but unfortunately here it is a necessary evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

$4 on top of the price of a cocktail? Christ. It is expensive enough to go on holidays to the States anyway but the tipping aspect is definitely something that people tend to not take into account when planning spends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

gaillimh wrote: »
    $4 on top of the price of a cocktail? Christ. It is expensive enough to go on holidays to the States anyway but the tipping aspect is definitely something that people tend to not take into account when planning spends.

Think of it this way......in the few minutes the barman spends making your cocktail, he could have served 10 beers...so he's getting a $4 tip instead of $10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

You're right sat-navs are a rip off to hire. As someone else said you'd be better off buying one over there. Or maybe bring one from here if you can download US maps before leaving.

And yes - if in doubt, tip! 15% is minimum on bills. And if it mentions a service charge you still tip, though that is rare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

Yes 15% is minimum for tipping in restaurants. Our tax is 7.5 % so its at least double the tax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Aprilmay wrote: »
    Yes 15% is minimum for tipping in restaurants. Our tax is 7.5 % so its at least double the tax

10% to 20% in restaurants based on the quality of service. A dollar each time you're at the bar is typical so you can save a bit by doing rounds of 2 or 3, especially if it's only 2 dollars for a drink to begin with.

spideog7 wrote: »
    10% to 20% in restaurants based on the quality of service. A dollar each time you're at the bar is typical so you can save a bit by doing rounds of 2 or 3, especially if it's only 2 dollars for a drink to begin with.

Different parts of the US have different customs, here on the west coast, even at happy hour you tip as if you were paying full price, same amount of work for the bar tender/server.

10% is pretty much unheard of as a tip here, it's either no tip of 15%.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Think of it this way......in the few minutes the barman spends making your cocktail, he could have served 10 beers...so he's getting a $4 tip instead of $10
    Strange logic, he is doing his job and I'M going to pay for it?

When did it go up to 15%???
    you need to leave a tip every day in your room for the cleaners,
    why? They are paid to clean my room? I just stayed for a week in a Sheraton, I have no desire to increase the cost of the hotel room by tipping the room cleaners. Its almost like this idea that if i dont wash the hotel towels I'm benefiting the environment rather than reducing the Sheraton laundry bill.

smurfjed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

i once had a problem not long after checking into a reasonably upmarket hotel in Chicago with the toilet flushing itself every 5 or 10mins, went down to reception and they sent me up the maintenance guy and he fixed it and was then looking for a tip.. i know they're tip crazy but i thought he was taking the piss i told him to see the manager that the tip is on him

why? They are paid to clean my room? I just stayed for a week in a Sheraton, I have no desire to increase the cost of the hotel room by tipping the room cleaners. Its almost like this idea that if i dont wash the hotel towels I'm benefiting the environment rather than reducing the Sheraton laundry bill.

smurfjed

They are paid a pittance to clean your room, often cash in hand and barely minimum (which in some states is so damn low) .....plus the cleaners in big hotels tend to change every day, so in the same way you leave a tip at the end of stay in some places, you leave a smaller tip per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

The tipping culture is an issue if a barman is getting 10 dollars tips for a few mins work.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 duck_77

Tipping 15-18% has been the norm for the last 5-8 years. In CA it is double the tax, around 9% tax rate, as a rule of thumb.

20 is good service, 15 can even be seen as below required. There are laws requiring employers of those paid below minimum (serving staff who may be paid as low as $2 per hour) up to minimum wage but how little do you want to pay? Compare the prices to the average Dublin prices and it is only fair to pay those what they are due. Basically, anything over 18% is the real tip for good service.

10% is a 20 year old phenom that has been propagated, tourists and those who are a little challenged (in whichever way you please) don't tip the full amount. I have been in many restaurants where they will suggest a tip and 15% is the smallest amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Different parts of the US have different customs, here on the west coast, even at happy hour you tip as if you were paying full price, same amount of work for the bar tender/server.

10% is pretty much unheard of as a tip here, it's either no tip of 15%.

2 or 3 dollars is full price!

18 to 20% is the norm, I've had Americans tell me 20% is too high but it's easier to do in my head! I don't mind going down to 10% for bad service but it would need to be dire entirely for me not to leave any tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

smurfjed wrote: »
    Strange logic, he is doing his job and I'M going to pay for it?

When did it go up to 15%???

smurfjed

In Ireland you pay for his job through higher drink prices. At least in the US you have the option NOT to tip well if you get bad service.

It's a different country, guess what, they do things differently.

Feel free not to tip, I've managed to get the amazing hotel upgrades, great service, jumped queues in restaurants, got free drinks, and gotten smiles and laughter through tipping well.

But perhaps you feel that getting one of the best suites in Vegas with a direct 25th floor view over the Bellagio fountains wasn't worth $25 room fee and a $20 tip to the receptionist as she was just "doing her job".

You don't know what you are missing. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Smoggy wrote: »
    The tipping culture is an issue if a barman is getting 10 dollars tips for a few mins work.

Do you know what minimum wage is in my State? $7.50 an hour. And it just went up a buck. In a tipped job the Fair Labor Standards Act requires a minimum wage of $2.13 for tipped workers with the expectation that wages plus tips total $7.25 per hour. The employer must pay the difference if total income does not add up to $7.25 per hour

That's €3.25 an hour below Ireland.

spideog7 wrote: »
    2 or 3 dollars is full price!

18 to 20% is the norm, I've had Americans tell me 20% is too high but it's easier to do in my head! I don't mind going down to 10% for bad service but it would need to be dire entirely for me not to leave any tip.

I would love to pay 2 or 3 dollars a beer, that only happens in happy hour here :)

In my local in the Sunset area of SF (nothing fancy)
    Domestic tap beers (anchor, blue moon, fat tire etc) are $4.50 or $2.50 during happy hour
    Guinness is $5/$6
    Mixers are $7.50

Tips run as I stated in a past post

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

the rule of thumb for drinks is $1 a beer, $2 a mixer and $4 for a cocktail. If you are settling in to a place for a few drinks, the higher the "per drink" tip you give, the quicker your service will be the next round.

The tipping for every drink is a mugs game, if your having a couple of drinks just open a tab and tip at the end.

Last time I was over and had to tip per drink I started only tipping for service. If they gave me my chain they got a tip, if they put it on the bar no tip.

It's annoying that since tipping is part of US culture, and taxed, that the staff now expect the tip and don't provide good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Different states have different rules about Auto Insurance requirements for hire cars.

Its usually good to call the company and check. Fully comprehensive should be available.

You might try phrasing it differently and maybe looking for zero deductible? Something like that? "Comprehensive" isnt a word that Americans use for insurance. Or call them, thats always best.

Does this sound reasonable? Quote from economycarrentals.com-
    "
    The standard insurance is a full collision damage waiver with zero excess that also covers third party, public liability and theft of the vehicle. The glass, tyres and undercarriage are not covered so we offer an additional, optional top up insurance for £2 per rental day."

We've been quoted Eur380 for a ford focus for 17days with the option then of the above extra insurance. Is there any other "hidden costs " to consider? As it does appear the cheapest quote. Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Del2005 wrote: »
    The tipping for every drink is a mugs game, if your having a couple of drinks just open a tab and tip at the end.

I disagree. My local has pints for $4.25 and I tip a dollar per pint resulting in every 3rd or 4th pint offered by the bar. Maybe about once every couple of weeks the first drink is offered.
    I'd open a tab and add the tip to the CC bill if I was in a bar that I didn't plan on becoming a local in.

Does this sound reasonable? Quote from economycarrentals.com-
    "
    The standard insurance is a full collision damage waiver with zero excess that also covers third party, public liability and theft of the vehicle. The glass, tyres and undercarriage are not covered so we offer an additional, optional top up insurance for £2 per rental day."

We've been quoted Eur380 for a ford focus for 17days with the option then of the above extra insurance. Is there any other "hidden costs " to consider? As it does appear the cheapest quote. Thanks.

Ooooh I've very little knowledge of this. I did a quick check on kayak.com and got a price of around $400 (but i'm in the us) for 1st to 17th at Seattle, but I know that wont include insurance(??). SO its really difficult to tell.

(380 euros is almost $500)

You'd pay in euros? In advance? that would mean you wouldnt have to pay US tax I think?

Its not a bad price at all.

Ultimately you're going to end up at a car rental desk in the US and you can ask them there exactly what is covered. Bear in mind they will try and sell you extras. There's actually some room to haggle at car rental desks but you can only do that if you havent paid in advance of course.

Sorry if I'm just being more confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Just a quick question here in regards to tipping.
    In a restaurant if there are four people eating for instance and the food bill is $400 and the drinks bill is $200 for wine-would you be expected to tip the waiter on the total of the wine and food or just the food?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You'd be expected to tip on the total.
    Agree with the others that 15% is standard, 20% for good service or if you expect to go back and want good service next time. Keep in mind that this is not like Ireland- the serving staff do not even make minimum wage, because it is expected that everyone tips and that a large part of their take-home pay comes from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Ok silja thanks.
    What about a different scenario where the food bill is still $400 but we are drinking more expensive wine and the bill for it is say $2500-what would be the protocol then?

• Advertisement

Ok silja thanks.
    What about a different scenario where the food bill is still $400 but we are drinking more expensive wine and the bill for it is say $2500-what would be the protocol then?

I have once found myself in that situation near Napa (Cthulhu, it was a good wine) and so we tipped 25% on the food (worth it!) and we tipped 10% on the wine, and that went to the somellier rather than the servers.

Advertisement