Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Van Trouble. Who is responsible?

• 14-03-2013 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm posting on behalf of my OH. He has a van which he uses for work and a few months ago there was a problem with it so he left it into a local mechanic. The mechanic basically said the engine was done and it needed a new one. So my OH said okay go ahead and get one and fix it etc.

The mechanic had his van for nearly 2 months and eventually got the van back. After about a week or two the van was having problems again so he brought it to a different mechanic. Now the problem is the engine that was installed was not the correct model for his van hence the problems. It is going to cost a few hundred to fix.He has already paid out nearly 1000 euro to the first mechanic.

He told the first mechanic who installed the engine what had happened. He said he can't believe that he was sold the wrong engine, essentially blaming who he bought it from. Now my OH is furious and out a lot of money

Firstly does he have a case for the small claims court and secondly against who? The first mechanic or the guy the mechanic bought the engine from?

Apologies if this is confusing for anyone!

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

IMO it's the mechanic who installed the engine who's at fault. The fact he got the wrong engine from the supplier is his problem to sort out not yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

+1 because the contract is between the OP's OH and the first mechanic.

BTW OH should check with his motor insurers that cover is alright. Technically, installing a wrong engine is a modification from original manufacturers specifications and could invalidate cover.
    I would be curious to know if the engine number is clean i.e. not nicked or related to a stolen vehicle.

Advertisement