Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q RE:Interest free period on CC

Options
  • 14-03-2013 9:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hi there

I have a credit card with 0% interest for 8 months,

What do I have to pay each month?
    Will it affect my credit rating by not paying in full and taking advantage of this offer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Ask the CC company, but AFAIK, you only have to pay the minimum payment each month. This will show on your CC statement.

Your credit rating will only be affected if you don't pay your bill. The minimum payment is all they need, but I think it creates bad habits in people. Pay the bill in full all the time and only use the card when you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Hi there

I have a credit card with 0% interest for 8 months,

What do I have to pay each month?
    Will it affect my credit rating by not paying in full and taking advantage of this offer?

You don't have to pay anything every month, or at the very least there is a minimum amount of I think 5% of balance. However, over time, your balance will increase.

Not a good road to go down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 329 ✭✭Cereal Number

RangeR wrote: »
    You don't have to pay anything every month, or at the very least there is a minimum amount of I think 5% of balance. However, over time, your balance will increase.

Not a good road to go down.

Well, if I stick the cash i would otherwise use on paying off the bill in full into a high interest account then pay it off in full when the period is up surely nothing wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Well, if I stick the cash i would otherwise use on paying off the bill in full into a high interest account then pay it off in full when the period is up surely nothing wrong with that?

There is still a minimum to pay every month off the balance which will be on your monthly bill. They arent charging interest but you still have to pay part of the balance down. interest free for 8 months doesnt mean you dont pay anything for 8 months, it just means they arent charging interest on the balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

If that's yer plan, you're better off getting a credit union loan to pay off the card. Much better interest rate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement