Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise complaint about our children...

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Dwork

Ah, the ultimate "I'm right, you're wrong" answer to any argument.

No children no? You won't be winning this argument so! Your effective use of contraception over the years means that you could not possibly understand what this person is going through! It's on par with the Vietnam argument "You weren't there man!"
    No kids so?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Listen at this stage, you've done enough. Let him complain. If they keep up or the mgt. company comes back around, make a complaint yourself to threshhold and PRTB. Complaining over an 18 month old crawling. Keep a log of anytime someone comes complaining. Don't stress yourself and feel free to tell them to feck off once in a while. Lots of people don't like to advocate it, but sometimes a situation calls for you to just tell them to get lost. If they think they can push you over, they'll certainly give it a go.

In Ireland there's almsota stigma to raising kids in apartments. It's like the situation of the 'boom' years where everyone had to get on the property ladder. As soon as you mention kids in apartment, it's all "oh? is that suitable?" Thousands of families across the globe raise kids. I got the same thing from family when I saw I was moving from my semi-detached 3 bed home in the country side to an apartment in a small town. Until the saw the apartment. 4 bed spread across 2 floors with a huge enclosed shared garden area. Much better suited. I did similar to what you did and tried my best to keep the noise down but at the end of the day, some noise is to be expected.

Likewise I don't complain about a neighbour having parties every now & then or the publican who comes home late most evenings after work and maybe watches tv. People live different lives and everyone has a right to enjoy their own home whilst at same time need to accept the reasonable noise of others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Ugh I hate both them statements equally and whilst I know Dwork's last reply was in jest ( I hope ) it really is a silly statement. People without kids do deserve to enjoy their home just as much as those with kids. But if complaints are to be made, the person making the complaint should first decide it it's reasonable or not.

Like username's eg. The alarm going off all day would be a reasonable complaint as it was faulty and should have been sorted. But that's something that can be controlled to a greater extent than a child playing. If it was a once off for liek a few mins only I'm sure you wouldn't have complained. ( I hope :) )

Complaining about noise of an 18 month and 3 year old with one of the complaints actually being about the 18 month's old crawling, well that just takes the biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The complaint sounds likes he's in the gastapo seriously ,a child crawling could not make that much noise ,trust me ive a ten month old who's a crawler On laminate floors and it doesn't even come close to the sound of high heels on floors or my annoyance stair wells at all hours ,in saying were proactive about sound levels as we have a four year old too we have foam mats in the main living areas and hall way ,
    Its funny how people forget that they were actually a child once and yes made noise too unless they were duct taped that or they have a personality disorder

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

ad1234 wrote: »

Is there anything the developers can do does anyone know or mgmt company to better insulate or are they obliged to?

I can't afford to and our land lords are an elderly couple so they defiantly can't afford to either.

I'd say the developers are long gone (in my development, both the development company and the building company have been wound up)

The management company are essentially the apartment owners. They aren't going to insulate just one apartment - if work was going to be done it would be on the whole development and all the owners (including your landlords) would have to pay for it.

I've a lot of sympathy for you though, I wouldn't dream of complaining about crying babies etc from a neighbour's apartment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,405 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Dwork wrote: »
    People who don't have kids don't understand.:) Also, no, no it isn't the best ever. Moronic? Kkk.

I don't remember, ever, not once, claiming maturity as a virtue of mine.:)

I lived in an estate of houses for a year a while back, I bought one to live in while refurbishing my own place. The neighbours popped round to complain about the noise the kids(who were playing with other neighbours kids and were not being remotely noisy)were making. This was at four in the afternoon. My wife engaged with them on the doorstep in a "ohh, sorry, yes indeed, oh deary" manner. I wandered out, said "hello, please fcuk off right away" and shut the door.

I had to laugh at the neck of them as two days later they had a load of their single friends around and the party went on until the wee hours, music banging. I didn't feel I had "cause"(pfft) to go around and complain. But by the same token, don't come banging on my door with your guff. I will happily give you an immature two fingers.:) Or a slap in the puss, if you feel you really need one.
    You might lay off the attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

ad1234 wrote: »
    gagging very little children
    Problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

A friend of mine in England had a neighbour who would complain if they walked (in socks), closed a door etc

One night he started bashing on the door at 2am because he'd heard her put a plug in!!

He made loads of complaints to the landlord and the council about her and her partner.

Anyway, he made a few more crazy visits to the door, so she videoed him pounding in the door and called into a police station the following morning to explain what was happening.

They took it incredibly seriously and visited him!

It happened again and the guy ended up getting an ASBO !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

OP can you hear their baby crying?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Solair wrote: »
    I'd add that a lot of Irish apartments also have relatively poor sound-proofing (there are a few exceptions but not many).
    I've rented apartments here were you could hear everything from above/next door. It's often not the people's fault, it's the construction companies' when it's just normal noise.

It is not just apartments, but duplexes, terraces, everything really.
    I recall visiting a friend who was renting a terraced two bed in South County Dublin, where supposedly property prices are on the rise once again.

You could hear the person in the house next door turn on the bloody tap.
    And this house wasn't built in 2002 plus but a few years earlier.

Some who think that all the cr** accomodation was built in Leitrim, the Midlands or the outskirts of Dublin, would be sorely misguided.

There is a bit of a myth out there that all the cr** was built during the bubble and all of it is apartments.

I know houses in a very sought after desired location in North Wicklow village which still have asking prices of 800k (once were 2 million plus) whose build quality is dire even though they were built back in late 80s early 90s.

Back on topic.
    Trust me on this.
    You do not know how trying kids can be, how difficult it is to manage them until you have some of your own that are your responsibility 24/7.

You can hand back the neices, nephews, etc but as a parent you are stuck with them.

And parents for the most part don't enjoy their kids making noise, wailing, screaming , etc.

Complaining about children doing such things as crawling is infantile and this couple are in for one almighty culture shock when their own little darling starts throwing stuff, climbing onto tables, pulling stuff out of cupboards.

And trust me unless you keep your eye on them 24/7 they will do some of that stuff.

And no matter how many locks, tie downs, etc you use, unless you live in an empty room they will find a way to do some of that stuff.

BTW kids can be a great joy, but by christ they can drive you insane as well.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

All I can say to this is that I would expect people to have control over their kids.

Some people work from home or study from home, it is unreasonable that they are to be disturbed by other residents (whether it be an alarm, a dog barking, a child etc....).

I would be inclined to think that the onus is on people with children who have no alternative but to live in an apartment (who cannot afford a detached house for example) in close proximity to others to do their utmost not to be disturbing the neighbours. I myself am considerate of my neighbours, I would be mortified if I thought I was disturbing them daily.

This is a really funny post. Parent's having control over their kids? Are we acting out the Sound of Music again with quiet happy children? We have to be reasonable and practical here. Children play and make noise. They do so at all hours of the day and night.

If I was to suggest that I think that it is unreasonable that people operate offices and work from home in buildings that are zoned for residential use, I might be technically correct but would I be reasonable or practical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I lived in an apartment in Spain and thought because we'd elderly neighbours it would be quiet...

The old lady upstairs was in her 80s and threw wild parties all the time !!
    Loud salsa music, dancing, singing, fireworks off the balcony !!!!

On the days she wasn't partying she'd the TV on full blast or played the piano.

A whole load of little old ladies would arrive in from the local cafe/restaurant at 3am making loads of noise.

Then you'd meet her in the lift in the morning and she would be all conservative and snooty looking but would apologise for the noise lol

It's not only kids who make noise !

Impressive to have that kind of social life in your 80s tho !!

Advertisement