Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple care...yes or no?

• 14-03-2013 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm thinking of buying a mb pro and considering getting the apple care.i understand that I have all year to decide whether or not I want it but from everyone iv asked iv gotten mixed responses.
    Off the positives friends and people I knew with mac books have said the techincall support is great and also apple are prone too replacing machines rather than repairing them when it comes to hardware issues.-is this through?
    What extra cover does It offer other than an extended warranty? Ps it's 249 for 3 years

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

This is a pretty recent thread over on the Mac forum answering your same question. Maybe check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭skinny90

DubDJ wrote: »
    This is a pretty recent thread over on the Mac forum answering your same question. Maybe check it out.
    Cheers man it did...I suppose the only other question would be that is there much truth behind their repairs policy ie if they have to change a bit a major piece of hardware do they just replace the unit rather than repair it or is that just aloda bull

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

skinny90 wrote: »
    Cheers man it did...I suppose the only other question would be that is there much truth behind their repairs policy ie if they have to change a bit a major piece of hardware do they just replace the unit rather than repair it or is that just aloda bull

They repair. If the machine is in for repair 3 times they normally replace it

True but it's also not uncommon for Apple to offer replacements straight out either. They do with a lot of iOS devices. I personally bought AppleCare for my 2011 MBP. Hopefully I won't need it but nice to know I'm covered just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

If you can afford it its well worth having.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

True but it's also not uncommon for Apple to offer replacements straight out either. They do with a lot of iOS devices. I personally bought AppleCare for my 2011 MBP. Hopefully I won't need it but nice to know I'm covered just in case.

Yes, but OP was asking about a MBP.....totally different barrel of monkeys..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭skinny90

Thanks for the replies guys a few more things...does it cover anything that the Warranty does not? Is the battery covered or is put down as a consumable

skinny90 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys a few more things...does it cover anything that the Warranty does not? Is the battery covered or is put down as a consumable

It's basically just an extended warranty. Afaik it doesn't cover the battery. But if anything goes wrong that wasn't your fault Apple will repair it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Battery is seen as consumable so not covered under AppleCare.
    Didn't buy Applecare on my first mac and seriously regretted it, so I've bought it since then.

Have a top end 15" Retina MBP coming and after looking at repair prices for it the applecare just makes a lot of sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I've had to get my rMBP screen replaced for ghosting issues. If it were a year later & I wasn't covered under Applecare, it would have cost €700 to replace, excluding labour costs (got the invoice for the screen which detailed the price). Better to have that safety net, even if it seems like a lot, it really is worth having.

• Advertisement

miralize wrote: »
    I've had to get my rMBP screen replaced for ghosting issues. If it were a year later & I wasn't covered under Applecare, it would have cost €700 to replace, excluding labour costs (got the invoice for the screen which detailed the price). Better to have that safety net, even if it seems like a lot, it really is worth having.

I'm not sure about that. The rMBR ghosting issue would be an inherent defect so Apple should be responsible for replacing it. Just like the nVidia chips a few years back. Apple offered replacements for people up to 3 years later. Although i've read they aren't actually acknowledging the ghosting defect, but a fair few people have gotten replacements. Seems to be just LG displays that have the problem as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I'm not sure about that. The rMBR ghosting issue would be an inherent defect so Apple should be responsible for replacing it. Just like the nVidia chips a few years back. Apple offered replacements for people up to 3 years later. Although i've read they aren't actually acknowledging the ghosting defect, but a fair few people have gotten replacements. Seems to be just LG displays that have the problem as well.

Yeah it was. But usually the issue becomes apparent after the first week or two. So if the screen broke in some other way down the line, it would still be a significant outlay

Advertisement