Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty ATM Question

Options
  • 14-03-2013 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭

When using an ATM machine earlier, the machine failed to give me money. I could hear it processing but nothing came out. I check banking online there and then and the money had been taken from my account. I rang 365 and they said the money had already been credited back to my account (apparently the machine knows and credits the account affected).

Is it possible that this could be the case of skimming? I only ask as the guy before me used the machine and left fairly quickly (it obviously didn't work for him either) but he didn't seem to care, question or inform anyone else in the queue. Surely if a machine wasn't working, one would usually turn around and inform the rest of the queue.

Am I barking mad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If it was skimming then the crook's installed gadget would have grabbed the cash. The bank have told you that the money has been credited back to your account which means that the machine itself recognises that neither you nor anyone else took the money so it doesn't sound like there's any scam involved.

It's possible that the guy in front of you was doing a balance check or paying a bill from his current a/c or he was topping up his kid's mobile phone, not every visit to an ATM involves withdrawing cash.

Advertisement