Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Deer, Alberta

Options
  • 14-03-2013 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Does anyone live there? I know its right in between Calgary and Edmonton and was just wondering what its like (Cost of living/Nightlife etc). Think I have sorted a job out there and will be heading in May.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

nice one mate seems to be a big nuff spot round 95K.. don't have any info on it sadly for ya maybe ask on BE forum if your on it;) i no a couple of peeps are living there that's on it:).. what sparking work ya doing industrial or domestic?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

Theres a gaa team in red deer .

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭jiminho

hey m.j.w, i live there. Cost of living is good, you can get a large apartment for a decent rent. There is next to no nightlife in Red Deer but your only an hour away from Edm and Cal so that softens the blow. Throw me a pm if you want to know more but there's a few Irish lads up here. Where yeh working - something engineering related?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

is there much construction work in red deer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    nice one mate seems to be a big nuff spot round 95K.. don't have any info on it sadly for ya maybe ask on BE forum if your on it;) i no a couple of peeps are living there that's on it:).. what sparking work ya doing industrial or domestic?:D

Its industrial and instrumemtation so its grand because thats what im doing at the minute!

• Advertisement

jiminho wrote: »
    hey m.j.w, i live there. Cost of living is good, you can get a large apartment for a decent rent. There is next to no nightlife in Red Deer but your only an hour away from Edm and Cal so that softens the blow. Throw me a pm if you want to know more but there's a few Irish lads up here. Where yeh working - something engineering related?

Cheers for the info! just wondering is there anywhere to stay short term for me starting off. Im landing in calgary late at night so was gonna head down to red deer the next day. Is there any hostels or anything as I probably wont get accom sorted in one day.Working as an electrician, what you doing yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

m.j.w wrote: »
    Cheers for the info! just wondering is there anywhere to stay short term for me starting off. Im landing in calgary late at night so was gonna head down to red deer the next day. Is there any hostels or anything as I probably wont get accom sorted in one day.Working as an electrician, what you doing yourself?

http://www.wickedhostel.com/testing/

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lou9

gary27 wrote: »
    Cheers Gary yea ill be staying in that in Calgary , I was on about hostels in red deer though . I don't think there is any

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

lou9 wrote: »
    Cheers Gary yea ill be staying in that in Calgary , I was on about hostels in red deer though . I don't think there is any

when you heading over?

gary27 wrote: »

when you heading over?
    Posted that reply of girlfriends account lou09 I'm heading over on 8th of May. Probably stay in calgary that night then goto red deer the the next day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kiwijbob

hey mjw,

I'm in (near to) Red Deer, there is night-life here in the town, I've been out on the rip a few times. When you arriving into town? Also I'm involved with the GAA team here, wanna meet the lads for training maybe play a game if not train with us and get fit for cheap? check us out on FB Eire Og GAA Red Deer.

If you need anything let us know and I'll see what I can do

j

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kiwijbob

is there much construction work in red deer

plenty, if you're out here contact Scott Builders in Red Deer

kiwijbob wrote: »
    hey mjw,

I'm in (near to) Red Deer, there is night-life here in the town, I've been out on the rip a few times. When you arriving into town? Also I'm involved with the GAA team here, wanna meet the lads for training maybe play a game if not train with us and get fit for cheap? check us out on FB Eire Og GAA Red Deer.

If you need anything let us know and I'll see what I can do

j

Thats great cheers, yea ill def give you's a shout when I arrive. Not 100% if im gonna take the job but if I do il be arriving around the 10th of May. I couldnt kick snow of a rope but id def be interested in training with the team! Did you find it handy enough when you first arrived to get accomadation sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 desserdub

im moving to red deer next month.im in rocky mountain house working in oil/gas at the moment but looking to get a permanent address.sick of hotels.moving the family over too.seems a nice spot

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gccrowley1

Hi, anybody got any more info on red deer, I'm thinking of moving up with my wife and child. Looking for nice area with a bit of an irish community , safe and good public transport routes close by..... I work a 14/7 rotation so haven't really a lot of time to be looking around on foot for nice areas but I'm told anywhere around the collicut center is good and safe for families .... Is there many irish around.... Any info or help would be great.

Thanks ....

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭jiminho

gccrowley1 wrote: »
    Hi, anybody got any more info on red deer, I'm thinking of moving up with my wife and child. Looking for nice area with a bit of an irish community , safe and good public transport routes close by..... I work a 14/7 rotation so haven't really a lot of time to be looking around on foot for nice areas but I'm told anywhere around the collicut center is good and safe for families .... Is there many irish around.... Any info or help would be great.

Thanks ....

Hey gccrowley. Forgot about this thread :confused: You say your moving up, from Calgary by any chance? There is very little public transportation here, only on the main roads but I've never really used it so. You're right about being around the collicut center, nice area. On foot, does that mean you don't have a car? If not, I would recommend rent a car for a day and just having a drive around the place. Should take too long but I would stick with south side of the river as well. There's a few Irish alright but nothing like in Calgary. Let me know if you need more info.

Advertisement