Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS X 10.8.3 update now available via Mac App Store

Options
  • 14-03-2013 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭

Earlier on today Apple released OS X 10.8.3 with a few notable and very much needed updates.

B]Restart Necessary[/B

-The ability to redeem iTunes gift cards in the Mac App Store using Mac’s built-in camera
    -Boot Camp support for installing Windows 8
    -Boot Camp support for Macs with a 3TB hard drive
    -A Fix for an issue that could cause a file URL to quit apps unexpectedly
    -A fix for an issue that may cause Logic Pro to become unresponsive when using certain plug-ins
    -A fix for an issue that causes audio to stutter on 2011 iMacs
    -Includes Safari 6.0.3

I noticed Safari now scrolls smoothly on one or two websites that had problems before. It's a Major update for Windows 8 users who use Bootcamp. Also supposedly fixes a few MBP Retina problems with a SMC update for Retina users.

Also think the "File:///" issue is now resolved.

Snow Leopard and Lion also got a few security updates.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

MODS: I've installed this update. Should I post comments here or start a new thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

mathepac wrote: »
    MODS: I've installed this update. Should I post comments here or start a new thread?

Did you have problems??

I installed it last night without any obvious immmediate issues. Download took less than ten minutes and the install about five. Didn't use my MacBook pro for very much longer other than to check the obvious things were still in working order.

A few observations.
    1. It hasn't fixed the problem where the App Store flags already updated apps as needing updates (updated yesterday, version numbers identical, still wants to update app.)
    2. Safari is faster. Zips to sites, through pages, runs scripts etc much faster. No Safari extensions broken by the update.
    3. Everything seems much quicker, far fewer beach-balls than 10.8.2 (which I struggled to understand anyway)
    4. Time Machine seems to need less I/O time and fewer CPU cycles than before. It ran after I updated, while I was on the net and I hardly noticed it.
    5. Spotlight (which was a system hog) is "better behaved" and stays where it belongs, in the background.
    6. EDIT: Fewer dropped WiFi connections although that may be because all my neighbours seem to be away for the week-end, so less clutter out there
    Just a few initial things I've noticed.

I'll post more as I check more stuff. FileMaker, MS Office all still working well and all my little menu-based apps are doing fine (XtraFinder, doo, PopClip, PopChar, Boom, DropBox, OpenDNS, DesktopUtility, CopyClip, 1PassWord, etc).

So far so very good Apple

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

What the hell is wrong with your computer that you had all of those problems in the first place?

If I knew the answers I'd probably be working for Apple as Worldwide VP of fixing things. :) Some may be just pure Hawthorne effect and may revert to their old ways after a few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Lads my update has been like this since last night. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

dubmick wrote: »
    Lads my update has been like this since last night. Any suggestions?

Few people on Macrumours had a similar problem. The said they done a shutdown by holding the power button and it booted back up as normal running 10.8.3. Not promising it won't cause problems but they said it was fine.

dubmick wrote: »
    ... Any suggestions?
    I used to get hangs like this under 10.6.x if I didn't repair permission before a big update.

My routine for a big update is:
    • Repair permissions
    • Apply update
    • Restart (usually initiated by the installer for major system updates)
    • Repair permissions
    • Restart

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

All seemed to go smoothly here - 2008 iMac.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

260MB on a Mid 2010 27" iMac i5, 630 MB on a 2012 15" MBP i7 !! Haven't noticed any thing different. Then I didn't have any issues prior to the updates anyway.

Ken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Don Imac2

I have just installed this update and it's a nightmare for me so far on a 2010 Imac. Constant crashing, black screen. I have repaired permissions and ran disc warrior. If I had known earlier I would not have updated.

Sometimes, depending on what extras you have installed in 10.8.2 (plug-ins, Finder extensions, etc) it's advisable to install system updates after a Safe Boot.

Thanks for that Mathepac. I have had a few more crashes + bad graphics artefacts + sluggish dock icons. I ran disc warrior again and thankfully all is well for the past hour. Fingers crossed, all is well again : )

You're welcome, but it sounds to me like you might have a graphics hardware subsystem issue. Was there a problem with Nvidia cards in some of that series?

Thanks again Mathepac. Yeah, I think the graphics card is not good. All the worse for this upgrade! Can anyone here read OSX crash reports?

Won't go on about this as it's getting off-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Also having major problems with this update. As far as I can tell it only happens after waking my mbp up. The screen will freeze, I'll get a spinning beachball and won't be able to do anything else. Force Quit doesn't work so I need to shut down my laptop manually.

Advertisement