Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calves

• 15-03-2013 12:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what everyone on here does to build up their calves. I'm not making much progress with mine.

I find that longer reps with a lower weight makes more difference for me. I can actually feel the burn and control the ROM of the rep better than with a heavy weight.

I usually do calve raises with a weighted oly bar off a small 2" - 3" platform. Sounds quite shallow, but I think it might be sufficient.

I do the following:
    70kg x 30
    90kg x 25
    120kg x 10 x 10 x 10
    90kg x 20
    70kg x 25

Is there anything else I should be doing to build them up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

I find the smith machine comes in great here!
    I usualy do them off a 20kg plate or an aerobic step you dont actualy need a very big step once you can get a good stretch at the top!
    The nice thing about the smith machine is you have the bar stabilised and you can realy concentrate on the movement to get the best contraction !
    I aim for sets of 20 on calves seems to be comming along nicely for me!
    Also if you have time throw single leg sets in there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/8%20weeks%20to%20bigger%20calves%201.pdf

This is an absolute killer. Wouldn't recommend doing the 8 sets the first time doing it, better to work up to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Smith machine for calf raises , and then leg press machine for calf extensions. also spinning with high resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

All good advice here IMO, but just don't get discouraged if you don't see much progress. Calves are hard to build for some and depend a lot on genetics. I've seen lots of people with huge calves who don't even lift, and the opposite as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

I 'try' to train my calves every 3rd day but it doesn't always work out that way. Generally really high volume just to kill them out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is there any disadvantage to not using a step when doing calve raises?or using plates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Is there any disadvantage to not using a step when doing calve raises?or using plates?

I think you get more ROM when you're calves are elevated whereas the floor only let's you go to floor level.

Advertisement