Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSOD (I think) after plugging usb stick into port.

Options
  • 15-03-2013 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭

Plugged a usb stick into my laptop the other day and a minute later something which might or might not have been the BSOD came up. The was loads of grey writing with something to do with memory dump. In a panic I knocked off my laptop's power then restarted it and everything was grand.

This isn't the first time to happen to me though, last time it happened my laptop was reading a missing operating system and any time I tried to boot up, normal and safe mode i was getting the blue screen of death. I ended up loosing everything on my hard-drive and had to have the laptop set back to factory setting.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Did you have iTunes open at the time?

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Can't say for definite but yeah most likely.

Last time it happened to me though was after i removed a zip program from my laptop, it asked me to restart the system. Then when I came back a minute later after I let it restart ''Missing Operating System'' was on the screen. I had a USB plugged in at this time also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Last time it happened to me though was after i removed a zip program from my laptop, it asked me to restart the system. Then when I came back a minute later after I let it restart ''Missing Operating System'' was on the screen. I had a USB plugged in at this time also.

I don't think this is related to your BSOD. Some systems do that if a non-bootable USB stick is plugged in. I've seen this a few times, mostly DELLs, IIRc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

So it would be good practice to unplug any usb before i shut down or restart my system ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I used to experience similar BSODs when I inserted a certain USB Key and had iTunes running. I also saw random BSOD issues recently on a machine I built for someone, and they were being caused by iTunes (hardware and other tests passed) hence the possibility it could be linked to that program. I would recommend shutting down iTunes when you insert a USB Key and see if it helps. If you reboot the computer and your USB key is inserted the computer may think it is a bootable hard drive, and that could cause the missing boot loader error message

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement