Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible electric issue

Options
  • 15-03-2013 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭

Hope this is the places for this, renting an apartment for over 2 years now ,over the last few months I've gone through a load of light bulbs ,
    Kitchen light fixture 4 bulbs at a time
    Sitting room light fixtures 4 bulbs
    Bath room standard 1 bulb
    Ensuite as above standard single bulb,

For the last while kitchen and sitting room only getting fitted with one bulb each.

For the last while I'm only getting a month I'd I'm lucky before I've to replace all the bulbs even stupidly expensive energy savers long life bulbs are blowing after 6 weeks ,
    Also our electricity bills are steadily increasing too,when I queried this with supplier I was told were on a higher voltage is instead of 8vl were getting 16vl if that's the correct term ,has anybody had similar issues with an apartment ,kinda getting worried about it ,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭dangerus06

same here sick of replacing bulbs in kitchen ,i think heat in kitchen maks them blow ,good news is energy saver bulbs are guaranteed for at least 2 yrs so bring them back to shop there to expensive to keep replacing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Has the landlord been informed? I'd imagine if there's a wiring issue it would need to involve them.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

There may be two issues to consider here.

Firstly, and this is just my opinion, like most other consumer items bulbs are probably not made to last as long as they used to, despite claims to the contrary from retailers and manufacturers.

However, it is more likely that the problem is with your high voltage. Your description of the voltage issue does not make sense to me, unless you are referring to individual bulbs operating on 16 volts instead of 8 volts, which would give you great light but the bulbs would blow within a short time. If these are some peculiar light fittings which operate on low voltage you need to make sure that the replacement bulbs are of the correct voltage, i.e. similar to the original.

If the high voltage refers to your mains supply, your landlord would need to contact your supplier and to inform them that the high supply voltage is damaging appliances in the building. The normal voltage range is about 220 – 240 volts.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

This is off a query I had on the electric Ireland forum kinda explains it better,Maximum Import Capacity) is 16kVa. This is something that would have been applied for by the owner/developer at the time the property was being built. It is more expensive to install a 16kVa connection; ESB Networks (a separate company that operate/maintain the grid on behalf of all suppliers) would have those details. But once it's installed you don't incur additional charges.

Most properties would either be 8/12kVa; additional capacity would sometimes be applied for in the case of the resident/owner having special equipment (such as underfloor heating, or two or more electric showers that may be used at the same time).

I found out this after talking to there customer service on the phone apparently I wasn't supposed to be told about the capacity by customer service

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Many modern bulbs should not be handled with bare skin. THe oils in your skin magnify the heat casuing the bulbs to blow after a short time.

Putting the bulb in using a cloth and wiping it properly before you connect it may solve the problem. This is really important with halogen bulbs but the CFC bulbs can also suffer.

A tenant in my place blamed the electrics and I came down and i took out all the bulbs wiped them down and pt them back in and suddenly the stopped blowing.

Screwing in a light bulb apparerntly is not as easy as people think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,438 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Accommodation & Property

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

Gatling wrote: »
    This is off a query I had on the electric Ireland forum kinda explains it better,Maximum Import Capacity) is 16kVa.

I found out this after talking to there customer service on the phone apparently I wasn't supposed to be told about the capacity by customer service

I have a maximum import capacity of 16kVA. It's printed on my bill. I don't think it is a big secret.
    The larger MIC just means that the voltage won't drop as much when you start taking a lot of current ie run an electric shower. It shouldn't mean any higher voltage. The voltage coming into you house should be about 230 V but can be between 207 and 257 volts. 230+-10%

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Frankmul is correct:

For electricity supplied at Low Voltage by ESB Networks, the nominal standard is 230/400 Volts, 50Hz.. ESB Networks undertakes to deliver single phase electricity within a voltage range of 207 Volts to 253 Volts. This is in accordance with European Standard EN50160.

Furthermore, a larger MIC will not cause bulbs to blow prematurely.

In my opinion you problem is caused by either:

1) Poor quality lamps (the most likley IMHO). I have seen this many times.

2) Voltage issues, either over voltage or voltage fluctuations or both. If changing the existing lamps for quality lamps does not work the contact the ESB.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭KegglesMcS

It sounds for sure they are popping from over voltage? Have you volt meter? Perhaps you can borrow one from a friend and check the supply voltage?

Advertisement