Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baa Fights!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Hahaha

**** everyone

I'm the best.

This is the best post ever. Team K.O. for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    A little pissed srk /event hubs didn't give us a mention, but those recordings will prove we're a scene worth watching. I've been to a LOT of events, but that trumps every single one of them. Ggs again

Honestly I couldn't agree more and I'm very disappointed in them. There's nothing we could've done better in terms of promoting the event. To say people missed out would be a huge understatement. I've never had so much fun watching Street Fighter and I don't even like the game.

Just yesterday, Eventhubs stated in a news post:
    "If you have an event you'd like to submit, you can add it into the Events area of the forums or you can send it in via the Contact Us form."
    It almost seems like rubbing salt in the wound when an Irish Bar fight with several trailers didn't get its own post. American events or go home, I guess?

As for the ft5 with Onion...

tumblr_lftetdK0lS1qdwm57.png

GGs dude, you definitely outplayed me. That teabag might lead to some demands of a runback though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm so drunk ****s sake guys.

At least let me take drunken passes at chicks next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'm so drunk ****s sake guys.
    Anyone who keeps saying that they're really drunk is not as drunk as they are trying to claim.

Stop trying to be cool, Kiki, it just won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

GGs all involved in the organisation. Great night, had a great time. Shoutouts especially to Fergus, easily the hero of the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

Excellent event lads it was great fun watching the stream. Hopefully this type of event becomes a regular thing.

But in all fairness you can't really give out to websites for not featuring you. SRK is a load of ****e so don't mind them but eventhubs featured is in their weekly event listings which is the most fair thing they could have done for us. You can't go expecting us to get a whole article or feature on the website just because we are having a stream for once. Perhaps in the future if our scene gets more popular internationally then you could expect things like that but it's our first event like this so don't go expecting big things. I think we capped out at around 75 viewers on the stream which I feel is excellent and there is more space to improve meaning that things can only get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

I heard we capped at 80 but yeah the best thing to do really is to do more stuff like this, keep pushing for publicity and hopefully eventually people will see that our stuff is worth watching. Build a name for ourselves that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Fergus Fergus Fergus...... crowd reaction to his victory. Says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

Watching the stream archive at work when suddenly:

Chopper: Fergie-chan will be playing Ladno, and Ladno will be bodying him for free. I'm predicting a five-nil?
    Doom: I like Fergus, but I think this is gonna be a combo video.
    Chopper: I think Ladno's gonna body him for free, and Fergus won't win a game.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Huehuehuehue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

Am I the only one who was cheering for Ladno?

Nah, so was I (because Cody)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Zoomyzoom

Hey guys, thank you to everyone, including the staff at the Woolshed, for making BAA Fights such an epic night! It's gone down as a night to remember. I asked a few friends from college to pop in and have a look for themselves, as they're always asking, and now three of the guys are hooked and wanting to know when the next tournament is! lol Thanks to everyone for being so nice to them, I really appreciate it :) BTW great job on the mixture of commentary... just listening to it now (45 mins into it) and the amount of lil golden nuggets! You guys are awesome! Ggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Fantastic night, a big thanks to everyone on the organisational side of things. I really enjoyed myself.

Also I hope Kiki's back isn't too sore, after being knocked off his high horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I stand by my statement. Everyone predicted a Ladno win because Fergus has been primarily playing TTT2.

Fantastic night though. I'd say the Woolshed were delighted with the turnout too.

Another in about three months anyone?

Me vs Kiki FT5 in VF5:FS?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Valormeer

Great night all in guys. Still salty about having too rock dat ass xbox pad ordering another converter next baa fights id like a run back. Gg keep up the good fight.

Peace
    Val

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Nevflinn

Thanks for the great showing, guys! Big praise to Doom and co. for getting this event going, I hope it's not the last. Shoutouts to everyone for being such good company, DarkTalant for a fun set, and everyone playing for such a good show - I especially loved AyJay vs Koko and Fergus vs. Ladnopoka.

The venue was great, as well. My thanks to Woolshed for being so cooperative with us. There was plenty of room, and the food wasn't half bad. Did they really give us the €10 prize money for the winners? That was wonderful of them.

If I have some constructive criticism, though - and I know what I'm bringing up is tough to ask for - but the only bummer I had for the night was the lack of consoles beyond the main stage. I hadn't been able to play Marvel in weeks and I was hoping to unrust beforehand, which was nice, but I was told that I wasn't allowed to use the one console we had at Woolshed because it was reserved for Street Fighter casuals. On a point of principle, I think we should leave the option for people who are playing on stream to warm up; we don't want them of all people feeling rusty before they go into a real match. I don't mean for them to hog it all night either: a simple best of three would work just fine. But obviously, if we had more consoles to work with, it'd be easier to please everyone; that's a community effort, so if anyone can invest in a bag or two to bring an xbox to events with, that'd be great.

I already said it, but thanks to Doom for streaming and helping set up everything on the technical side for the night. Seeing everything projected like it was made each match so much easier to absorb and get excited over. Once more, I had a fantastic night, and I agree that Baa Fights was a success. I hope we can make the next one even better!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kanped

Such a good night. Everyone in this community is bloody brilliant. I was pleasantly surprised to see some familiar faces I haven't seen in a while turning up, too and even more pleasantly surprised to find that the casuals in Belfast are still going on. I thought that was dead; last time I was there, it was Simon Lau beasting on 3 other guys I didn't recognize and me for 2 hours.
    Marvel was really cool and the community for that game is also great (big shout-outs and thanks to Lythero for being an absolute gent); I will make an effort to learn that game properly in the near future and give you guys a few games worth talking about.

Individual thanks need to go to Doom, Eileen, Chopper and anyone else (sorry for no names) involved in organizing the event; great job, best event in Ireland since the 2011 Evo Qualifiers, and possibly even better than that. Also thanks to Dark Onion, who IMO was primarily responsible for the amazing atmosphere, particularly during the Fergus/Ladno match, and all the other commentators.

As far as criticism; I think everyone knows we need more consoles next time. There were supposed to be more there this time, as good as the Woolshed were.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Cracking night. Great to see traditionally non-FG people being brought along and getting into it. Amazing atmosphere and some top quality matches.

On the consoles front - tbh I'd only have them for people playing on stream later to get a little practice in beforehand (obv not too close to their own match or the turnaround time gets delayed)...If there are too many consoles for general casuals the focal point gets lost a bit. Even the smaller / not quite as epic as Ladno vs Fergus deserve to be watched and applauded. But then again, I'm happier observing 90% of the time, so what do I know?! :D

Really enjoyed the whole event. Great job by all those involved over the night and in the run-up to it. Looking forward to the next one.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Good games to lythero and well done to all the participants and organiser. I was a little biased in the Fergus/ladno match to say the least. Really hope we can host in there again, it was incredible.

A little pissed srk /event hubs didn't give us a mention, but those recordings will prove we're a scene worth watching. I've been to a LOT of events, but that trumps every single one of them. Ggs again

First of all did you ask srk or event hubs to update the news feed with your event? probably not, so you can`t really be pissed at them for not featuring some mickey mouse event in ireland just because it has a stream.

If you want news hubs like srk to update with your event information you need to contact them before hand, if you don`t contact them how else are they supposed to know about it?

Also why does it matter if some american website gives you a shout out or not, your not doing the event for them and they don`t care about the scene in ireland so why be pissed off? This event was for the irish scene and the irish players, the focus should be on us and the scene here not the american scene or anywhere else. You should be more concerned did the event reach out to new people in ireland, not people in america. I think there is a little too much focus on the american scene and scenes elsewhere and not enough focus on our own scene, also when it comes to doing streams your never going to attract that many people, this is ireland after all and there are no high profile players living in ireland, the irish players the good ones anyway don`t really travel and compete on the international circut so nobody knows about them, the scene in ireland wont get the exposure your looking for unless players like stevo travel to places and start winning tournaments outside of ireland, thats how you get noticed. How do you think i got well known back in the day, it wasn`t through talking **** on the internet, it was because i was travelling and winning tournaments on the international scene thats how you get well known in the community and thats how a scene gets exposure.

But good job anyway, am gald the event was a success, any event in a pub is always a good time, the uk has been doing it for years and ive had some of the best times playing video games while downing a few drinks, you can`t beat it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Yeah Chunkis, I think a little international attention would be nice but the focus really should be on growing and promoting the scene at home.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Well, this thing with EventHubs and SRK isn't new. Maybe it's just because I'm the guy sitting behind the guy running the thing at most tournaments, so I've seen it for years, but if you're not running something in America, you can go and swing if you think you're going to get any help out of them. However, it's their site, so that's up to them, I don't mind. It is frustrating that they'll take constantly from someone like Lythero until he asks for something back and they do nothing, though! (As people have said though, Event Hubs DID actually mention us).

As for the thing with casuals, it's not really a simple solve- at the end of the day, it is a pub. Yes, they told me there'd be more set ups than their was and the ones we got working required some of my gear, but they're not the XGC. This is not what they do, they probably hadn't checked the machines since the last time they did a game night. So yes we were misled but I genuinely doubt it was on purpose and overall the Woolshed were SO cool and helpful I can't hold it against them.

Maybe next time, I'll clear it with them to bring a couple of casual set ups in with us or something, with the understanding that they're not responsible if anything happens to them.

As a matter of interest, who was really mad to play last night? I just wanted to cheer on the matches and that was easily the unique thing about the night for me!

Durned 'Muricans.

I didn't touch casuals til the last hour or so - far too caught up in the hype and having the craic!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

chunkis wrote: »
    First of all did you ask srk or event hubs to update the news feed with your event? probably not, so you can`t really be pissed at them for not featuring some mickey mouse event in ireland just because it has a stream.

If you want news hubs like srk to update with your event information you need to contact them before hand, if you don`t contact them how else are they supposed to know about it?

Look up a few posts. Yeah I contacted both of them via email as soon as the trailers went up, tweeted about it, facebooked it, told friends and workmates. Got it out there to the total extent that I could.

Just wanted to clear that up.

In fact, I would say this was the most heavily advertised Irish FG event yet, certainly in terms of new media (I appeared on the radio for Evo Quals 2011 and did an arcade and retro SF podcast for the SF25 tournament, but that's "old media thinking") and I feel it definitely helped in terms of international interest, subs to the youtube and twitch channel, and general interest on twitter. How many people who don't even play Street Fighter came? Even my brother was there!

I don't think anyone should feel bet up about SRK not posting it, lots of people did good work and it REALLY helped. I personally have learned a lot about how we should do things in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Jaysus. Come a long way lads.

Jim wrote: »
    Jaysus. Come a long way lads.

I think we were still just using the ol doomcam last time you were round!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

The Woolshed staff were simply awesome. Getting pizza right there and then and getting to watch Ladno/Fergus.

Dinner and a show.

The BEST show.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

"What you Taunting for!" godlike set, good **** fergus and ladno.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MrHorse

Valormeer wrote: »
    Great night all in guys. Still salty about having too rock dat ass xbox pad ordering another converter next baa fights id like a run back. Gg keep up the good fight.

Peace
    Val

dude i feel the same way about those dpads im a ps3 pad player as well.

sorry i didnt get to see that set with u and aaron. btw aaron i hope we can spencer mirror match again soon. i can do the nemo side finisher now :p

also congrats to fergus u was kicking ass :)

Advertisement