Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropped evic!!

Options
  • 15-03-2013 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

So I dropped my evic this morning. The cap came off disconnecting itself from the 2 wires.
    I was just saying yesterday that although I love it it feels quite flimsy. Anyhoo it dropped from about a foot off the ground. The screen still works but obviously can't use it with the wires disconnected.
    Anyone know if they can be soldered or fixed in anyway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Vaperus

It is possible they could be fixed, where are the wires broken from

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

Might be worth contacting wingnut here. He knows a guy who has fixed twists/vamos etc so might be able to help. Poor you - there's nothing worse. I've dropped my provari loads of times with the top and chip coming completely apart from the body but it still works perfectly. Guess that's the reason why they're so expensive I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

The top cap is intact and the wires are not connected in any way . I will post a pic when I get a minute.
    Am saving for a provari! Lol

The top cap is intact and the wires are not connected in any way . I will post a pic when I get a minute.
    Am saving for a provari! Lol

If there is no Physical damage Sounds easy enough to repair, anybody that knows how to use a soldering iron could do it. Sounds like it just needs the wires re attaching

• Advertisement

Poor Evic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Poor Evic.

Easy fix.Red wire has to be soldered back to the centre and the black to to the edge (you can see a little raise or bump around the rim).Then just get a bit of glue to stick the plastic part of the head back to the metal.

Presuming the top cap fits back on ok without falling off all the time, could be glued
    You can re solder them wires back on, that also presumes the unit didnt get fried ie it didnt short out when it dropped

Thanks guys. The top clips back in ok. :-)
    Appreciate the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jamie72

Poor Evic.

Ah no, it's obviously totally fecked, I'll give you €20 for it :p

• Advertisement

jamie72 wrote: »

LOL

jamie72 wrote: »

:eek:
    lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭nin2010

Looks like an easy fix, you should be able to solder it back on I think. If you can't fix it, you can buy the head alone on Bargan Vapour for 45euro.

http://www.bargainvapour.com/JoyeTech_eVic/cat1274300_1690660.aspx

You can also buy custom tubes, top cap and end caps from Siam on pinkmule.com for 40euro if you want to make the evic a bit sturdier. You can buy shorter tubes for 20euro also so you can fit smaller batteries with the evic, pretty nifty.

http://pink-mule.com/siam-mods/siam-evic-body

siam_evic_groove_2_1-600x600.jpg

siam_evic_clean_1_2-600x600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

Vaperus also stock the Siam Mods eVic body now too. Not sure who is cheaper though.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

How did op get on?
    Did the same myself the other day, I thought the wires looked a bit skimpy so I upgraded them and glued the top back on.
    Works fine now:)

I just needs soldering. :-)
    I have a UTD-L mod on the way to me as a back up. The egos are great but the battery life is a pain when you are used to getting 3 days from the evic!
    I think I'll look at getting one of those covers to protect it! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

My Evic has been turning itself off randomly. I also noticed today, that if I hold it 1 inch above a wooden desk and let it go the unit powers off. I then have to go through the power on routine again.

Is this some sort of battery protection or more like a faulty connection? tia

There's an auto off that can be changed or turned off
    Dropping it is probably bouncing the battery and disconnecting it

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

platinums wrote: »
    My Evic has been turning itself off randomly. I also noticed today, that if I hold it 1 inch above a wooden desk and let it go the unit powers off. I then have to go through the power on routine again.

Is this some sort of battery protection or more like a faulty connection? tia

I had the same issue.
    I think the battery compresses the bottom spring when dropped and disconnects at the top connection. The fix is a stronger spring

Or dont drop it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

Vaperus wrote: »
    Or dont drop it

I only tested the inch desk drop as a control to the theory that just generally bouncing it in and out of pocket might be causing the cut outs. I was right.

These devices are made out of metal, given its not a mech mod, but i'd expect some give for the price. I've dropped my far more delicate galaxy s3 which contains glass from higher places.

Auto off was set to 30 minutes.
    I had the same issue.
    I think the battery compresses the bottom spring when dropped and disconnects at the top connection. The fix is a stronger spring

If i do the drop test, (onto a rubber mouse mat from 1 inch, this time) using the battery in, it cuts out, plugged in and charging it doesn't cut out.

That would mean its the battery spring, heli appears to be right.
    Thanks

Of course its the spring
    When you drop it the device stops dead, bit like a car hitting a solid object
    The battery keeps moving compressing the spring meaning the top contact comes away

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

The fix for the turning off problem is a battery with a button top like an Efest or AW.

Advertisement