Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warranty on laptops?

Options
  • 15-03-2013 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

All laptops sold within the EU have a minimum 2 year warranty, correct? Shouldn't this also include batteries?

My battery broke within 11 months, just abruptly stopped working. Laptop wouldn't power up with battery inserted. I requested an RMA and got sent a replacement, same issue occured. I had to send my laptop in again, after 4 weeks later I was informed the battery was faulty and needed to pay 150 for a replacement, aswell as 86e postage as the battery was now out of it's 1 year warranty.

The retailer claims this is what the Manufacturer is demanding, and it's out of their hands. But surely my contract is between myself and the retailer, and they're liable for the charges?

I was never once informed there could be charges involved, otherwise I could've gone to a local shop and fixed it for a fraction.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Tow

Your contract is with the retailer, they will have to pay the manufacturer.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Glazun

Tow wrote: »
    Your contract is with the retailer, they will have to pay the manufacturer.

So, they cannot charge me because it's within the two-year warranty period? I just want to make sure before I start a small-claims case against them. Nearly seven weeks since I sent my laptop off now is horribly service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

There is no warranty on the battery as it's a consumable item. Manufacturers will generally cover them for 6 months as good will. This is included in the documentation under exclusions of the warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

treat it like the batteries in your remote control. they will not last forever

That is what I was afraid of.

So even if you have one battery replaced through an RMA and the replacement fails, you're not entitled to anything? This seems open to abuse, I mean if I was running a company and RMA's came in 1month before warranty end I could just send broken batteries.

I'm just dismayed because I've already spent 60e sending it in for repair, not realising I would be charged a further 240e to get it back! I wouldn't mind if it was a fast service, but I waited 4weeks to find out, and it'll be the end of the month before I can afford to pay the new fees.

I don't think I will ever buy a laptop online again, far too much hassle.

• Advertisement

Antigone05 wrote: »
    treat it like the batteries in your remote control. they will not last forever

Ordinarily I wouldn't send in a laptop in because of battiers but this wasn't normal wear-and-tear, both failed instantly. Second one on arrival.. just happened to arrive at the end of my first year.

Glazun wrote: »

Ordinarily I wouldn't send in a laptop in because of battiers but this wasn't normal wear-and-tear, both failed instantly. Second one on arrival.. just happened to arrive at the end of my first year.
    From experience, replaced parts will have some warranty - even the battery. You should get in touch with the manufacturer directly to discuss it with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

There is no warranty on the battery as it's a consumable item. Manufacturers will generally cover them for 6 months as good will. This is included in the documentation under exclusions of the warranty

There is no manufacturer warranty but the consumer has statutory rights which state that the product must be fit for purpose and reasonably durable.

OP that 2 year warranty was not taken on board by Ireland as our "sale of goods act" already gives up to 6 years protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Get a Macbook.

foggy_lad wrote: »

There is no manufacturer warranty but the consumer has statutory rights which state that the product must be fit for purpose and reasonably durable.

OP that 2 year warranty was not taken on board by Ireland as our "sale of goods act" already gives up to 6 years protection.
    All this is determined by the judge should it go to court, it's at his discretion as to what is a reasonable amount of time for the item in question. The 6 years does not apply every single item sold.

• Advertisement

Yea, 6 years seems excessive!

I have written to the manufacturer, the CSR guy has emailed the RMA people to find out the correct price. I've also requested the retailer send a proper invoice and proof of repair from the manufacturer. A simple email telling me to pay money and giving me account details seems really informal.

Ive actually missed the 10day deadline, but I assume they can't just scrap my laptop.

Yea, 6 years seems excessive!

I have written to the manufacturer, the CSR guy has emailed the RMA people to find out the correct price. I've also requested the retailer send a proper invoice and proof of repair from the manufacturer. A simple email telling me to pay money and giving me account details seems really informal.

Ive actually missed the 10day deadline, but I assume they can't just scrap my laptop.
    Who is the repair agent? 10 days is extremely short!

Who is the repair agent? 10 days is extremely short!

Komplett authorized the RMA, although Komplett's RMA department sent it to ASUS for repair, so I'm unaware if it's Komplett or Asus who have the 10day period.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Hoboo wrote: »
    Get a Macbook.

Hows that going to fix anything ?

I've had just as many Powerbook and Macbook batteries fails as on Dell/HP/IBM Notebooks.

Apple treat the battery as a consumable item just like all the others.

Hows that going to fix anything ?

I've had just as many Powerbook and Macbook batteries fails as on Dell/HP/IBM Notebooks.

Apple treat the battery as a consumable item just like all the others.

Not to mention some Macbooks having built in non-removable batteries..

But, I am curious did any of your batteries fail in such a manner that your laptop wouldn't boot unless the battery was removed? I never encountered this issue before, so I assumed it was a motherboard issue.

Not to mention some Macbooks having built in non-removable batteries..

But, I am curious did any of your batteries fail in such a manner that your laptop wouldn't boot unless the battery was removed? I never encountered this issue before, so I assumed it was a motherboard issue.

Yup, had a HP Pavilion that did that, only happened after it completely went dead though. You had to remove the battery, leave it out for a few seconds and then replace it. Then it would boot up fine.

Same thing with a Macbook Pro, the universal fix for macs is to Reset the PRAM :D

Yup, had a HP Pavilion that did that, only happened after it completely went dead though. You had to remove the battery, leave it out for a few seconds and then replace it. Then it would boot up fine.

Same thing with a Macbook Pro, the universal fix for macs is to Reset the PRAM :D
    eah it'd boot once I removed the battery but once I put it back the laptop would power down. Then I'd have to remove battery and wait a while before booting. I'm just dismayed because they replaced it with a battery that also failed. Then it ran out of warranty, system just seems open to abuse is all.

It's stupid of me really. Shouldn't have bought from komplett.ie again. Last time I got a RAZR mouse, it broke so I sent it in, they sent back the same mouse. I resent it and they never sent it back or gave a refund. Despute went on for a few months. I shouldve raised a small claims court but I gave up. In the end they claimed a refund was made but I never recieved anything.

Fast forward 2years and I made the poor judgement of buying a laptop. Did not expect this must kerfuffle over it, at the very least they could send back the device for free and let me find my own battery. I'm sure I could source one for less than 140, I'm also confused about the 90e postage, it cost me 30 to send it to them twice, and a month is really long for repairs.

At this stage I just want the battery replaced for free or the laptop returned for free. I mean why pay 140e if the replacement breaks instantly, like the last one did.

Maybe I'm wrong but I definitely think I've a case to bring to the small claims court here.

eah it'd boot once I removed the battery but once I put it back the laptop would power down. Then I'd have to remove battery and wait a while before booting. I'm just dismayed because they replaced it with a battery that also failed. Then it ran out of warranty, system just seems open to abuse is all.

It's stupid of me really. Shouldn't have bought from komplett.ie again. Last time I got a RAZR mouse, it broke so I sent it in, they sent back the same mouse. I resent it and they never sent it back or gave a refund. Despute went on for a few months. I shouldve raised a small claims court but I gave up. In the end they claimed a refund was made but I never recieved anything.

Fast forward 2years and I made the poor judgement of buying a laptop. Did not expect this must kerfuffle over it, at the very least they could send back the device for free and let me find my own battery. I'm sure I could source one for less than 140, I'm also confused about the 90e postage, it cost me 30 to send it to them twice, and a month is really long for repairs.

At this stage I just want the battery replaced for free or the laptop returned for free. I mean why pay 140e if the replacement breaks instantly, like the last one did.

Maybe I'm wrong but I definitely think I've a case to bring to the small claims court here.

I think your 100% in the right.
    A battery lose the ability to hold a charge over time, but for it to completely fail I'd expect a replacement.

I think your 100% in the right.
    A battery lose the ability to hold a charge over time, but for it to completely fail I'd expect a replacement.
    I would tend to agree too, given the fact that it was replaced initially there should be at least some warranty on it.

Received some feedback from the manufacturer on the matter, it transpires that the original battery replacement was by a third-party repair center. As such the new battery is void from warranty cover.

This is hardly my fault though surely? I've given the retailer until Friday before filing in small-claims court. Are there any consumer groups like Comreg for this type of case? So far I've come to a standstill, the Customer Service Rep's are waiting to hear from the RMA department's manager, since the 12th of March now.

Maybe I'm being unreasonable, but I think a company should be bending over backwards for any repairs that take more than a month to rectify, especially if it's a second time repair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Received some feedback from the manufacturer on the matter, it transpires that the original battery replacement was by a third-party repair center. As such the new battery is void from warranty cover.
    Is the retailer the 3rd party repair center?

the_syco wrote: »
    Is the retailer the 3rd party repair center?

I haven't heard back from them on that yet, I'm assuming so. They've an internal RMA department. Currently I'm waiting on someone in Customer Services to get in contact with the RMA Department manager.

Well, now the retailer got back to me after a week to inform me they did not use a third-party battery, confirming they replaced it themselves voiding the manufacturers warranty. At 8 weeks waiting, I think I need to proceed with a small claims case, just need to wait until the weekend before I can get a postal-cheque.

Well, now the retailer got back to me after a week to inform me they did not use a third-party battery, confirming they replaced it themselves voiding the manufacturers warranty. At 8 weeks waiting, I think I need to proceed with a small claims case, just need to wait until the weekend before I can get a postal-cheque.
    If they voided the warranty then they must put things back as they were which will require a replacement laptop. They must also cover all your costs in sending the laptop back on both occasions.

Looks like they are plssing you about waiting to see how far you will go and how much they can weasle out of you for spurious charges.

Sort out your small claim immediately is my advice. It can be done online or drop into your local courthouse where the staff should explain the process to you.

Finally applied today, think I gave them more than enough warning. Seems like every rep I talk to doesn't have enough rights to see all the details of my case. Either way, it's been 9 weeks now, that's a long time to be without a laptop.

Hopefully the small claims case resolves the issue, strangely instead of a response the retailer sent me a warning letter saying I had 30days to pay or my laptop would be destroyed.

I was also offered a refund if I returned my laptop, at which point I had to remind the retailer I already sent in my laptop in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

I was also offered a refund if I returned my laptop, at which point I had to remind the retailer I already sent in my laptop in February.

if you refused a refund that may go against you in SCC. Have your story cast iron before you go in if they fight the claim.

if you refused a refund that may go against you in SCC. Have your story cast iron before you go in if they fight the claim.

For the refund I would have had to send in my laptop to the retailer. I had to remind them that they already had my laptop, to which they sent a letter saying I had 30days to pay or my laptop would be scraped.

I lodged a claim for the repairs + postage that they're charging me for the laptop.

Looking back through my correspondance, its all over the place. One rep spent three weeks saying he was waiting on information from the RMA department, then I was moved to another rep entirely, who started offering refunds, etc not knowing the case.

I might draw up a timeline with all the emails and tangents as new characters appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I suppose a 3 year old Dell laptop is out of warranty even though it's used for internet use ONLY for about 2 hours per day, nothing on it no photos, videos etc etc, the hard drive is virtually clean as all it was used for was browsing for at most 2 hours per day.

The motherboard is gone in it, had it checked out and it needs a new motherboard.

Ridiculous

vicwatson wrote: »
    I suppose a 3 year old Dell laptop is out of warranty even though it's used for internet use ONLY for about 2 hours per day, nothing on it no photos, videos etc etc, the hard drive is virtually clean as all it was used for was browsing for at most 2 hours per day.

The motherboard is gone in it, had it checked out and it needs a new motherboard.

Ridiculous
    It should last longer than that! if it was something small like the keyboard or touchpad which failed you could see that might happen after three years but main componemts should last the lifetime of the product which could reasonable be expected to last 5-6 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

foggy_lad wrote: »
    It should last longer than that! if it was something small like the keyboard or touchpad which failed you could see that might happen after three years but main componemts should last the lifetime of the product which could reasonable be expected to last 5-6 years.

Is it worth taking this up with Dell or where should I go with this? I thought 3 years was a bit crap for a laptop that had so little use and for such a majot component to go.

EDIT - INFACT it's not 3 years old until 19th April - I just checked

Advertisement