Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warranty on laptops?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is it worth taking this up with Dell or where should I go with this? I thought 3 years was a bit crap for a laptop that had so little use and for such a majot component to go.

EDIT - INFACT it's not 3 years old until 19th April - I just checked
    THe only people obliged to deal with you over your statutory rights is the retailer, if that is Dell I suggest you write to them instead of dealing with this over the phone. Even if it is a shop a letter is a very good way to let them know you are serious and also spells out the current situation and what you expect from them.

Your reason for seeking redress is that the parts(motherboard) has not lasted a reasonable time because it is not reasonably durable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

foggy_lad wrote: »
    THe only people obliged to deal with you over your statutory rights is the retailer, if that is Dell I suggest you write to them instead of dealing with this over the phone. Even if it is a shop a letter is a very good way to let them know you are serious and also spells out the current situation and what you expect from them.

Cheers, I bought it online from Dell.

Where do I start? Which Dell do I write to, are they still in ireland?

Is there a european warranty that I can rely on?

The laptop went but infact about January but between getting it looked at and the jigs and reels we've done nothing about getting it sorted, it's not mine it's the in laws but they haven't a clue about computers. I have them set up with an old one for the moment.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Cheers, I bought it online from Dell.

Where do I start? Which Dell do I write to, are they still in ireland?

Is there a european warranty that I can rely on?

The laptop went but infact about January but between getting it looked at and the jigs and reels we've done nothing about getting it sorted, it's not mine it's the in laws but they haven't a clue about computers. I have them set up with an old one for the moment.
    The in-laws will have to initiate the first contact and that should be to Dell's Irish offices, there may be someone in Cherrywood still. What you rely on is the sale of goods act and your statutory rights which give more protection than any warranty from Dell

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Glazun

This page may help, its the technical support form for Dell.

http://www.dell.com/support/incidents/ie/en/iedhs1/email/tagchange?c=ie&l=en&s=dhs

Laptops should have some form of blackbox that counts how many hours a laptops been on. It'd be handy if warranty covered parts until they were used for X amount of time.

Still if it's a common fault with this laptop they may replace it, have you googled the model number to find others with the same complaint?

Glazun wrote: »

http://www.dell.com/support/incidents/ie/en/iedhs1/email/tagchange?c=ie&l=en&s=dhs

Laptops should have some form of blackbox that counts how many hours a laptops been on. It'd be handy if warranty covered parts until they were used for X amount of time.

Still if it's a common fault with this laptop they may replace it, have you googled the model number to find others with the same complaint?
    Email with Dell is like using the phone, you never get anywhere and each email goes to a different person who is a sales person trying to sell you insurance and warranty and a new laptop/pc. They don't know anything about customers statutory rights!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Thanks, no but I will do now.

You wanted postal address?

Dell Products
    c/o Cherrywood Science & Technology Park
    Dublin 18

Is down on their page anyway, for technical support queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

if you refused a refund that may go against you in SCC. Have your story cast iron before you go in if they fight the claim.

For the refund I would have had to send in my laptop to the retailer. I had to remind them that they already had my laptop, to which they sent a letter saying I had 30days to pay or my laptop would be scraped.

I lodged a claim for the repairs + postage that they're charging me for the laptop.

Looking back through my correspondance, its all over the place. One rep spent three weeks saying he was waiting on information from the RMA department, then I was moved to another rep entirely, who started offering refunds, etc not knowing the case.

I might draw up a timeline with all the emails and tangents as new characters appear.

if their approach was "we offered a refund your honour". Judge "did they and you refused. next case please".

Am just advising you to be careful if you pursue.

if their approach was "we offered a refund your honour". Judge "did they and you refused. next case please".

The Shop offered a refund in one communication on condition that OP returned the laptop to them,

When OP replied that the shop already had the laptop the shop replied with a threat to dispose of the laptop if the repair bills went unpaid!

Hm, I hadn't thought of that. There's very little I can do, however I've arranged to pay the manufacturer directly if the retailer is correct and I am wrong.

I just find it abysmal that after so many weeks they haven't been able to send me an invoice, the best I've gotten is that the issue was raised with management. That was 4 weeks ago now.

If the case fails I'll be dismayed.

• Advertisement

Now the manufacturer has gone mad!

"The repair center will test the new battery after it has been replaced. If it turns out that there is a problem with motherboard, they will also repair that."

So they don't even know a replacement battery will resolve the issue. This just seems ridiculous, surely you would do a full check on the issue before sending a bill?

I just updated retailer on the issue recommending they get in contact with manufacturer. Overall the level of incompetence I seem to be facing is staggering..

Case resolved, they finally checked the motherboard for issues and discovered it was the fault, as such it was all covered by warranty. Laptop returns in two weeks or so.

Only took 13weeks of waiting!

Advertisement