Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No. 3 teat problem?

Options
  • 15-03-2013 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi there,
    Last Sunday I moved my 16 week old boy onto the 3 avent teat-it says it's suitable for 3month + so I felt it was time for him to use it. However all week, feeding has been torture!There is a constant trickle of milk coming down his chin, it soaks thru muslins and bibs and I'm afraid his wasting half his bottle . As well as this he just doesn't suck as well on it and actually pushes it out his mouth and only messes with the teat. And now my little man used to be a very tidy and efficient feeder and had a great suck- so much so it used to be a struggle to get the bottle off him. What will I do?Should I go back to the 2 teat that I had no problems, or will he have to learn to get used to the 3 teat?Thanks :-)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Just because something is suitable from 3 months does not mean you have to switch at 3 months.
    I would go back to the size 2 teats that worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I would go back to the nº 2 teat. He's obviously not ready for the next one yet, which is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

Thanks a mill!
    I was wondering then would it be a tongue tie?But surely that would have been seen at birth and it would have affected feeding before now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It's not tongue tie, he just isn't ready for that teat yet. The flow is too fast. We were still on size 2 until 6 or 7 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

pwurple wrote: »
    It's not tongue tie, he just isn't ready for that teat yet. The flow is too fast. We were still on size 2 until 6 or 7 months.
    Thanks a mill pwurple ! Just feeing him here now with a 2 and he's going perfect again !! Damn avent and their silly age guides!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Thanks a mill pwurple ! Just feeing him here now with a 2 and he's going perfect again !! Damn avent and their silly age guides!!

Just maybe check its def 3 u tried and not 3+.
    3+ is variable flow and will slow fast or medium depending on which number you have pointing at your babies nose when the teat is in his mouth which could also explain your problem!
    http://www.philips.ie/c/avent-baby-bottle-feeding/35368/cat/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My 13 month old still uses size 2 avent.

He obviously hold his bottle and he still cant manage a size 3 teat, but he can dring from a glass.

I agree about the vari flow teat, the highest on that is very fast.

Advertisement