Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Time - Help

Options
  • 15-03-2013 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Hi all, currently have a Samsung Galaxy but now it's time for an upgrade, I am with 3 and am on Classic Flex max - €40.66/month and do not want to go higher. I use about 500MB of data per month and approx 175 flexi units on text and calls.
    I would use the internet a lot, MAPS and sat nav a lot, camera a lot and You tube a lot. I do however want a reliable phone for making calls as this one has been missing calls recently although it is getting old.
    My choices seem to be
    Galaxy S3 - €69 cost (24 mth) or €189 (18 mth)
    S3 mini - Free (18 mth)
    IPhone 5 - €169 (24 mth)
    XPeria Z - €119 (24 mth)
    HTC Windows 8S - €19 (18 mth)
    HTC One S - €99 (18 mth)
    HTC One S - Free (24 mth)

Would one of the above be my best bet or should I move away from 3?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

I've just ordered the Sony Xperia Z from 3 as a replacement for my iphone 4S. Similar requirements to you really and the 5inch screen was the clincher for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Yawlboy wrote: »
    the 5inch screen was the clincher for me.

Their was a time when they were making them as small as possible, now they cant make them big enough. What do you get out of it, compared to say a 4 inch screen. Seem more like tablets now with this trend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

I've just ordered the Sony Xperia Z from 3 as a replacement for my iphone 4S. Similar requirements to you really and the 5inch screen was the clincher for me.
    I had a go on Xperia Z at the 3 in Blanch today, very impressed and think I might go for it myself, think I'm going to wait until the Galaxy S4 comes out though as I think it may drive the price of some other phones down

Forgot to mention that I also wanted the Xperia Z as it is waterproof and dustproof - I've had a few phones wrecked with water damage so I think this is also a good feature.

Forgot to mention that I also wanted the Xperia Z as it is waterproof and dustproof - I've had a few phones wrecked with water damage so I think this is also a good feature.
    Yes I thought that as well, great feature. Handy if you're prone to dropping your phone down the loo! Any idea what the battery life is like? My Galaxy S battery is brutal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,485 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

€40 per month and you only use 175 flexi + 500MB?

That's a shockingly bad deal :eek:

Like yourself I'm a light user. I just went for this Meteor deal:

€25 per month for 200 mins, 200txts and 1GB (18 months)

And a lovely Lumia 820 Windows 8 phone (very powerful processor) for just €49 :)

unkel wrote: »
    €40 per month and you only use 175 flexi + 500MB?

That's a shockingly bad deal :eek:

Like yourself I'm a light user. I just went for this Meteor deal:

€25 per month for 200 mins, 200txts and 1GB (18 months)

And a lovely Lumia 820 Windows 8 phone (very powerful processor) for just €49 :)

Thanks for that, that's a great tip, perfect plan for myself. I think I may even get away with the €20 per month for 200 mins, 200 texts and 500MB (18 months - €99).

How do you find the Lumia?, coming from a Galaxy S would I be happy with it?

Oh yeah you would be happy with it! WP8 FTW :)

Seriously, it's a brilliant device. Very responsive, very powerful processor. I just love the live tiles (only WP8 has that)

Ordered my (free) wireless charger (only WP8 has that too) but haven't received it yet, but I'm sure I'll be liking that too...

The only thing that makes the 820 a mid range phone (and not a top of the range phone) is the screen resolution, which is mediocre. I would have paid more for a 920, but that was not an option

Go into a shop and have a play with an 820 - I betya won't be disappointed :D

Oh yeah you would be happy with it! WP8 FTW :)

Seriously, it's a brilliant device. Very responsive, very powerful processor. I just love the live tiles (only WP8 has that)

Ordered my (free) wireless charger (only WP8 has that too) but haven't received it yet, but I'm sure I'll be liking that too...

The only thing that makes the 820 a mid range phone (and not a top of the range phone) is the screen resolution, which is mediocre. I would have paid more for a 920, but that was not an option

Go into a shop and have a play with an 820 - I betya won't be disappointed :D
    Thanks again, I'll head to Meteor this morning! Could you tell me what the battery life is like please?, also I use my phone a lot for Sat Nav. Does it have maps and a navigation system on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Ward670

mattb74 wrote: »
    Yes I thought that as well, great feature. Handy if you're prone to dropping your phone down the loo! Any idea what the battery life is like? My Galaxy S battery is brutal

The battery life at the start is pretty bad but after a week it's very good. If your patient the battery will last you through the day comfortably after a week or so

• Advertisement

In relation to a Windows Phone - the only reason I didn't consider one was I thought there was a lack of apps available for them. Do you think there are enough quality apps?

I got it!, great deal that is, 200mins, 200 texts 500MB data for €20 p/m phone on 18 month contract cost €70. Looking forward to having a play with it now. I had a concern on the lack of apps but what they told me was the more phones they sell the more apps will be developed, I was only interested in whattsapp, skype and viber and they have all of these apparently.
    Thanks again all for the advice, I'd have missed this deal if it wasn't for boards.
    Also top marks for the guy in Meteor Blanch who served me.

Sweet :)

As for satnav, Nokia owns Navteq (one of the worlds best sat nav map makers) and they announced a few years ago that all satnav would be free for Nokia smartphone owners. They've kept their word, Nokia drive is an excellent satnav app, it's free with free worldwide maps, that you can download onto your phone / sd card so no data use either :)

But I bet you've found that out by now :D

In relation to a Windows Phone - the only reason I didn't consider one was I thought there was a lack of apps available for them. Do you think there are enough quality apps?

120,000 and counting ;)

How many do you need? :p

I think all of the top 50 most popular on both Apple and Android are now available on Windows too

Sweet :)

But I bet you've found that out by now :D

Unkel - you are quite possibly my favourite person right now!

It's nice to share a bargain :)

120,000 and counting ;)

How many do you need? :p

I think all of the top 50 most popular on both Apple and Android are now available on Windows too

For some stupid reason I bought a Microsoft surface and the selection of apps for it are ****e - I assumed it was the same for the phones :(

Hi Unkel (or anybody else for that matter!) could I please pick your brains?
    I have just transferred my data (contacts) from my old phone (Galaxy S) but I cannot find them. If I go into phone and press the search icon I can search for them individually and they are there but I want to be able to see a full list of the contacts like you can usually. Any ideas please?
    Thanks!

mattb74 wrote: »
    Hi Unkel (or anybody else for that matter!) could I please pick your brains?
    I have just transferred my data (contacts) from my old phone (Galaxy S) but I cannot find them. If I go into phone and press the search icon I can search for them individually and they are there but I want to be able to see a full list of the contacts like you can usually. Any ideas please?
    Thanks!

Ok, I think i've found them. They were under Hotmail contacts for some reason and I had the filter turned off.

Advertisement