Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student President Elections?

Options
  • 15-03-2013 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

First year student here and I’ve been bemused with the recent hive of activity in the college because of the upcoming student elections. It seems there are multiple candidates running for Vice Student President and only one candidate running for Student President. The candidate’s main way of canvassing seems to be who can play their music the loudest in the street. Upon hearing Avincii's"I could be the one" for about the tenth time one day during my break and in class I've started to detest that song. I read a few handouts given by the candidates and their main gripe and why we should vote for them is the lack of a college pub at L.I.T this seems to be same every year.

Reading the "What do you think of L.I.T" thread that seems to be the least of the worries of the students who posted there. Just wondering is it mandatory to have a student union in a college and in some colleges is it just CV filler for student union reps, that they don't have any real say what so ever except appointing class reps per class and organizing rag week. That’s the reply I got when I asked what their “roles” were as VP.I'm sure there's more work than that to do but that's all that was said to me. I'm just confused as to why someone would go to all that effort for what seems like a popularity contest, as I'm sure renting out the music booths aren't cheap does it really look that good on a CV? I'm not sure if asking this is against the charter as I read it and there was no mention of it sorry if it is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

A pub is all they ever seemed to be bothered about when I was there 6 or 7 years back. Just goes to show the state of mind around that joke shop. Any time the student newsletter came out it was all about how UL had a pub and we didnt. It was never about the state of the computer lab and all computers around the college, the toilets, the car parking situation, the library, the prices in the shop or the canteen. LIT had some of the highest drop out rates and exam failure rates in the country according to one edition of that newsletter but the head story was about how the writer went to the UL bar and prattled on about how mature and civilised it was even around christmas time. Personally I'm just happy I only had to spend 2 years in that hole. Just a pity it has turned me off returning to college anywhere ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Could do with a student bar too in fairness :P

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

There's never ever ever going to be a bar on campus .:eek:.............
    ... .. .. EVERRRRRRRRRRRRR

however its still the greatest college EVERRRRRRR :D

like totes.. omg... amazeballs.... yolo college !:pac:

LIT FOR LIFE

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I see the need for a SU but 2 paid positions with no real power in this day and age.it needs to be cut to one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Mollys ran a bar for 2 days of rag week this year and was told they only sold 6 kegs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Lyrical

bigpink wrote: »
    I see the need for a SU but 2 paid positions with no real power in this day and age.it needs to be cut to one

Are you sure it's a paid position?Surely there would of been more interest in it if it was and I think the candidates would have to put in a bit more effort than handing out sweets and advocating for a bar at the college?If this is the case it's kinda ironic they were protesting last year about an increase in fees,when our fees are used to pay their wages.I hope if this is true it's nothing too drastic because the money could be put to better use ie having the library open for longer than 9-1 on a Saturday coming up to exam time think L.I.T is the only college with that policy....

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭W86indow

Library open 9-1 on a saturday???? :O
    Are you joking me
    The library has not opened on saturday since before xmass because lit wont pay for staff
    Its a complete joke its not open this saturday either .

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Could do with a student bar too in fairness :P

Not a snow balls chance in Hell. unfortunately

Advertisement